As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC Comics Thread

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    They've out-90ed the 90's.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Since when do people say shit like that

Would you say that about yourself?

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    This Bane probably isn't a smart one like his old version.

He's a very special Bane. Let him pretend.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Got the first Forever Evil issue on comixology. I liked it enough to get the rest of the main series.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    ThreeWordPhraseWhaaa.png

• Options
    RalgRalg Registered User regular
    They've out-90ed the 90's.

I blame 52. It was spectacular, don't get me wrong, but the idea the DC editorial got out of it was "oh look, more ultraviolence is WONDERFUL. Identity Crisis REALLY HIT THE RIGHT NOTES. Let us have Marvin devour those kids alive, cannibalism run rampant (seriously, it's like two out of every three DC villains is a cannibal), mass murder be treated casually and evil Superman sniff cocaine kryptonite".

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    It's weird that the product from the company that gave us the Adam West Batman and the Super Friends is somehow coming across as more bleak and depressing than the company that pioneered the asshole as superhero and the dysfunctional super-team.

• Options
    RalgRalg Registered User regular
    King Lear is bleak and depressing. DC Comics nowadays is a 90's 13-years old imagination of what VIOLENT DEATH is like

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Bleeding Cool says that Forever Evil will be leading right into another event or crossover again, with Earth 2 (and maybe more) meeting Earth One. I'm guessing that'd be the big Darkseid story, so that's pretty rad.

Jeff Lemire was also tweeting about a JL series with a new name (although it could possibly be the event itself). Taking it all with the rumors BC posted about Johns and the Five Years Later stuff, I wonder if DC really is trying to move away from Johns controlling that whole universe, and are now trying to bring their few remaining critical hitters to an architect-style level. They've been almost totally reliant on Johns since Blackest Night, and it kind of does make sense to give him a big send off and let some new blood lead the direction of the DCU for awhile. To DC/WB's benefit, it might also act as sort of a chapter break or diversion from their editorial and freelancer disasters from the last few years.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    The Lemire book was Justice League United

I'm dubious over the Earths War, since Aquaman 25 teased a big Justice League crossover called THE RISE OF THE SEVEN SEAS which seems like the next event

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    That's true, but we've also had the whole not-so-mysterious threat that destroys Earth 3 going on in Forever Evil, Earth 2 has been ramping up a lot, and now we've got the Batman/Superman & World's Finest crossover.

But I figure we'll probably know for sure pretty soon. March solicits are probably next week, and if they're going to launch another huge mini or event right out of Forever Evil's ending, I would imagine they'd announce it in USA Today or something a week or two before the April solicits go out, which would put it either just before or after New Year's.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

I'm dubious over the Earths War, since Aquaman 25 teased a big Justice League crossover called THE RISE OF THE SEVEN SEAS which seems like the next event

are you sure aboot that?

1377282131652.jpg

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »

are you sure aboot that?

1377282131652.jpg
    Yes. He tweeted yesterday that he was working on a script for JUSTICE LEAGUE U ___E_ and then hastily deleted it.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Justice league united emiriates?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    A crossover with Earth-2 seems like a weird choice for a major event, since I hadn't though that Earth-2 was all that popular.

I mean, it's not like when 616 Spider-Man meeting Miles Morales.

• Options
    Justice League Unhinged

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    ThreeWordPhraseWhaaa.png

I freely admit I have a generally low standard of comic quality.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    I'm still going to give JLC a shot because A ) Lemire and B ) Canada

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    A crossover with Earth-2 seems like a weird choice for a major event, since I hadn't though that Earth-2 was all that popular.

Multiple Batmans!

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    batmens

• Options
    batsman.jpg

?

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Kyougu wrote: »

Multiple Batmans!

That's only fun when one of them likes nachos.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Gg5QBrwKF94&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGg5QBrwKF94

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options

New 52 has been building up to it since the first JL arc. It's been implied that there's only one set of New Gods for the whole multiverse. It's sort of been the big meta story the whole time, and for my money it's really been the only interesting thread running through the universe as a whole.
    After Darkseid failed to capture Superman in JL, he said something along the lines of "I'll have to capture another" and then stole the one from Earth 2, who is now back in that book and brainwashed under Darkseid's control. All the Forever Evil stuff has talked about a power player who came through to Earth 3, arriving with a "BOOOOOOOOOOOM" and turning the skies red before decimating the planet and defeating the Crime Syndicate. It's almost certainly Darkseid, and if this Earths' War thing is true and it starts in April immediately after Forever Evil, then I would expect it to be confirmed in either Forever Evil #4 or JL #26 in time for the solicit cycle. Johns said in a recent interview that Justice League will be returning to Darkseid sometime soon (I'll try and find that later today).

Vibe and Batman/Superman have also been dealing with the Multiverse.

Lastly, Multiversity has been kicking around for like 5 years now, and we're finally at a point where Morrison is done writing monthlies for DC, so his name back on a book would be a big deal. It'd make sense to slot it after a multiverse event, as a guide of sorts. Of course there's also the possibility that it's still not done, or that editorial have messed with it and turned the Charlton world into actual Watchmen or something equally dumb.

They could also use a crisis-style event to slot a transition to a DCU with more cooks on the macro level, sort of like how Siege was the beginning of a slow transition away from Bendis's nearly singular voice.

• Options
    Justice League Unrated?

Or maybe what would be nice with DC these days...Justice League Unedited?

• Options
    majandermajander Registered User regular
    Justice League Unrated?

Or maybe what would be nice with DC these days...Justice League Unedited?

That one I would buy at least twice.

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Got to say I'm loving that Darkseid is being given his due. He actually feels like a true power now and a threat, one of the things I hated for years was suddenly how Superman could beat up Darkseid. Cartoons, comics, whatever, Superman Vs Darkseid often ended up with Superman just beating him up. It really felt like Darkseid got devalued doing so. Darkseid should never be someone Superman can simply beat down.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    batsman.jpg

?

The show broke my brain because all I can see in this picture is
    MRF_bracelet.jpg

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I just want to say that I am very happy with Earth 2.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Cade wrote: »
    Got to say I'm loving that Darkseid is being given his due. He actually feels like a true power now and a threat, one of the things I hated for years was suddenly how Superman could beat up Darkseid. Cartoons, comics, whatever, Superman Vs Darkseid often ended up with Superman just beating him up. It really felt like Darkseid got devalued doing so. Darkseid should never be someone Superman can simply beat down.

Really? I thought he came off as a really weak threat in Justice League.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    If they actually do "5 Years Later", they should give everyone their Young Justice costumes

They should do that anyway. They are the best.

• Options
    Keith wrote: »
    If they actually do "5 Years Later", they should give everyone their Young Justice costumes

Yes, I miss the original (90s) designs for Robin, Superboy, and Impulse.

Oh, you weren't talking about those costumes, were you?

• Options
    Keith wrote: »

If the YJ character dewigns became the house style I would be COMPLETELY okay with this

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    I cannot wait for more Darkseid.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Cade wrote: »

Really? I thought he came off as a really weak threat in Justice League.

The entire Justice League tackling him is reacted to with a shrug and while SUperman does change the game when he gets involved Darksied is still basically winning until the did whatever they did teleport everybody back.

I wouldn't call that weak.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, his actual representation in the book was kind of lame just because he wasn't very Darkseid-y (Showed up to brawl in something close to a Berserker rage and never schemed much). But they definitely did not really beat him, and they made that pretty clear.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Where Darkseid IS getting awesomely represented is Earth 2. And if you haven't been reading Earth 2... what the fuck is wrong with you?

I also love how Grimbright / Noble Dark it is. The world is fucked and a shitty place and you're highly likely to die.... but the people believe in their Wonders and they band together themselves. Even the Police Officers and Journalists are badass and unflinching in the face of likely certain doom, not to mention the commanders and military personel!

What I'm trying to say is...

Have you Died for Darkside lately?

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Being a physical threat generally speaking doesn't constitute a real threat in superhero comics

Villain is a physical threat, hero outwits them at the endgame

A villain is a real threat when they outwit the hero at the endgame, turning the tables and seizing victory, before being undone due to something unforseen, a last ditch desperate attempt.

The best example of this is Thanos. He wins in Infinity Gauntlet. They don't stop him. They can't. Thanos rules. But then he loses, because in his heart of hearts, he doesn't want to win, and Adam Warlock knows it. He's a true threat, they couldn't win, they could only hope he lost. The greatest stories of the superhero genre tend to be ones like this, where the stakes are so high, the threat is so overwhelming, and the tension is racked up so high.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Darkseid should really be treated more as a fundamental force of the universe rather than an individual who can be defeated. He should be a personification of power and ambition, pure, absolute, limitless, free of all weaknesses, and beyond reckoning. A fundamental absolute of the universe against which countless civilizations are tested and broken.

Destroying his enemies should mean nothing to him, such displays of power are petty and trivial. Darkseid's true goal should be to make others see the hypocrisy and weakness of their own beliefs, to realize that he has always been right and that they were wrong to ever oppose him in the first place.

They should never tie Darkseid to any individual hero. It should take the collective strength of all of humanity to even have a chance of turning back Darkseid's will. He should never be defeated by any individual hero, punching him in the face or destroying his armies, but by heroes who set examples for people, sparks of hope and inspiration in an unending void of darkness, and rallying the world to stand against Darkseid's will.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Actually they should tie Darkseid to one very specific hero

and that hero is Orion

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Darkseid is supposed to be tied to Orion but they've pretty much made him a Superman villain.

This discussion has been closed.