As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DC Comics Thread

19495969799

Posts

  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    That Superman is fascinating in how it doesn't immediately offend, but closer examination does leave one wanting.

    I kinda love it. But if you asked me why, I'm not sure I could tell you, other than that that there is a rather inoffensively drawn Superman that still doesn't manage to be the Real McCoy, but nevertheless, is doing something no other Superman depiction has managed to pull off.

    It's almost Gambit as Superman.

    Reynolds
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Man I love Andrea Romano but she really kinda blew it on the voice acting for JL:War

    Sorce
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • mrmrmrmr Registered User regular
    I honestly like JRjr's art but I can understand how some people wouldn't. I might give his and Johns' Superman run a shot, but I really like Pak's Action Comics which may last me a while, so I won't feel bad for saying no to it.

    Practice Round, my blog where I talk (mostly) about comics.
    p4.png
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I thought Geoff's Justice League SUperman was fine(although I was gone before the romance with WW) but hated his Superman Secret Origin so I'm not sure where to go with this.

    Quire.jpg
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    You know who gets DC continuity? The authors of 'learn to read' books for kids, that's who gets DC continuity:
    OBEfuHq.jpg


    I kinda wanted the last 2 panels to end with " He is secretly Clark Kent/Bruce Wayne"

    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Garlic BreadGolden Yak
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    The Sinestro/Power Ring fight in Forever Evil 5 was pretty satisfying I must say.

    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    vagrant_winds
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the first 3 issues of Forever Evil quite a bit, but I feel like not a whole lot has been accomplished in the last two.

    At times, I remember feeling very similarly about Blackest Night, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

  • TexiKenTexiKen please please I don't have any time for any gossip now Registered User regular
    Did it actually end or did DC pull a Secret Invasion and just make it lead into another event thing?

    AS for Superman, Romita's Supes looks a lot like Nic Cage, so I'm cool with it. The armor is just bad the more I see it in the comics.

  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Did it actually end or did DC pull a Secret Invasion and just make it lead into another event thing?

    AS for Superman, Romita's Supes looks a lot like Nic Cage, so I'm cool with it. The armor is just bad the more I see it in the comics.

    Two more issues still.

    If it was launching into another event, I think we would've heard about it by now in the solicits, but I am suspecting that
    the big big bad that destroyed the syndicate's world is Darkseid and his parademons, or possibly one of his generals that hasn't been seen on Earth 2 yet. They keep referring to it as a beast/monster, so Kalibak seems like a strong contender.

  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Did it actually end or did DC pull a Secret Invasion and just make it lead into another event thing?

    Yes. Marvel had all the DC editors substituted for Skrulls.

  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    AS for Superman, Romita's Supes looks a lot like Nic Cage, so I'm cool with it.

    You're horrible.

  • TexiKenTexiKen please please I don't have any time for any gossip now Registered User regular
    I know.

    But it's better than what I thought it was going to be, which is a Peter Parker look alike, unless JRjr went back to his bulky DD/90's Uncanny style of drawing.

  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    I actually kind of like JR Jr.'s take on New 52 Superman.

    His simple style makes all the dumb piping and seams seem less egregious.

    They seem decorative, rather than functional, I guess? More Jack Kirby than Bryan Hitch.

    Mike DangerAntimatterHadjiQuestLinespider5
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Munch wrote: »
    I actually kind of like JR Jr.'s take on New 52 Superman.

    His simple style makes all the dumb piping and seams seem less egregious.

    They seem decorative, rather than functional, I guess? More Jack Kirby than Bryan Hitch.

    Yeah, this is why I've been excited for him to take over. Not everyone likes his style certainly, but his recent stuff at Marvel was really out there, and Dimension Z pretty solidly cemented his place in the Kirby wheelhouse, if less so than Giffen or Tom Scioli. His art is simple and "big" when the story is. I don't much care for him on Kick Ass though, and I probably wouldn't be huge into his earlier street-level stuff.

  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    JRjr's Superman does look pretty Kirby.

    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Still wish that JRjr was drawing the "real" Superman.

    ShadowenSagroth
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Well, this is an interesting way to end an issue of Justice League Beyond.
    RCgWRQR.jpg

  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Whoa uh

    Sucks to be Great Britain, some of Europe, a chunk of Russia and portions of Africa, huh

    CYpGAPn.png
    Linespider5
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Whoa uh

    Sucks to be Great Britain, some of Europe, a chunk of Russia and portions of Africa, huh

    As it usually does in American action stories.

  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah but man

    You dont usually see literally entire countries turned into smoking/burning craters

    Like at least 10 million people probably died there

    CYpGAPn.png
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Oh fuck

    Greece

    It would also appear France, Iraq, and Afghanistan have been broken in half

    ...

    And Johannesburg grew an amazing overbite

  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    I have to say, it's neat how the JLB is handling legacy when it comes to some of it's characters.
    The new Flash is apparently so connected to the Speed Force she's got the past Flashes talking to her. Captain Marvel (dunno for sure if he's Billy or someone else) and the wizard Shazam are sharing the same body, shifting whenever the occasion needs more of a Superman or Dr. Fate touch and it looks like other members of the Marvel Family can tag in too seeing the latest issue has Shazam letting Black Adam swap in. And they just introduced a new Superboy in the form of Jax-Ur's Phantom Zone-born son who happens to be named Zod.

  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    That artwork of the planet is pretty terrible

    Like, the scale of the fire and split effects are entirely rubbish

    Also ten million? The UK has entirely gone and over 60 million people there

  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    That artwork of the planet is pretty terrible

    Like, the scale of the fire and split effects are entirely rubbish

    Also ten million? The UK has entirely gone and over 60 million people there
    Man it is a tiny island I didn't know how crammed together you limeys are

    CYpGAPn.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    That artwork of the planet is pretty terrible

    Like, the scale of the fire and split effects are entirely rubbish

    Also ten million? The UK has entirely gone and over 60 million people there

    Man it is a tiny island I didn't know how crammed together you limeys are

    Why do you think we like things to be private and quiet!

  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    JRjr's Superman does look pretty Kirby.

    then they should get someone to redraw his face

    Linespider5
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Keith wrote: »
    JRjr's Superman does look pretty Kirby.

    then they should get someone to redraw his face

    frown

  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah uh

    Jack Kirby didn't really have the greatest faces either:
    2027169-hercules___face_shot_kirby_panel_color_lrg.jpg
    kirbycap02.jpg
    Kamandi%2B25.jpg

    CYpGAPn.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    they are each individually beautiful snowflakes and i was frowning at keith's specific casting of aspersions towards the practice of altering the faces kirby did for superman, which happened, to my recollection, at least a couple of times

    nightmarennyLinespider5Centipede Damascus
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Gotta say I love that Herc face.

    Quire.jpg
    AntimatterReynoldsLinespider5Kevin Crist
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    TRY IT, WHITEY!
    JUST TRY IT--

    uyvfOQy.png
    Ringo
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    they are each individually beautiful snowflakes and i was frowning at keith's specific casting of aspersions towards the practice of altering the faces kirby did for superman, which happened, to my recollection, at least a couple of times
    While I do very much disagree with redrawing an artist's work, Kirby's Superman faces look a lot more like a mob enforcer than Superman so I can understand why DC would do it.

    CYpGAPn.png
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    Still wish that JRjr was drawing the "real" Superman.

    This reminds me of back during the Clone Saga when a lot of the issues were caused by some prolific writer who came on board and essentially pitched a fit that he wasn't getting to write for the "real" Spider-man since Ben Reilly was currently under the mask.

    I wonder how long before DC has someone prolific that wants to write the "real" version of one of their characters?

    Oh heck, this is modern DC. It's probably already happened and DC told them to shove it.

    Or write Scooby Doo.

    Though from what I've heard, Jim Lee considers himself an authority on what the "real" version of comic characters are, and since he had a huge hand in designing the New 52 and is currently the Co-[whatever rank he and Didio have], I'm sure that would create problems for anyone pitching ideas about writing the "real" versions.

  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Why are we bringing Kirby into this?

  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Still wish that JRjr was drawing the "real" Superman.

    This reminds me of back during the Clone Saga when a lot of the issues were caused by some prolific writer who came on board and essentially pitched a fit that he wasn't getting to write for the "real" Spider-man since Ben Reilly was currently under the mask.

    I wonder how long before DC has someone prolific that wants to write the "real" version of one of their characters?

    Oh heck, this is modern DC. It's probably already happened and DC told them to shove it.

    Or write Scooby Doo.

    Though from what I've heard, Jim Lee considers himself an authority on what the "real" version of comic characters are, and since he had a huge hand in designing the New 52 and is currently the Co-[whatever rank he and Didio have], I'm sure that would create problems for anyone pitching ideas about writing the "real" versions.

    Over on DC's digital comics side, Adventures of Superman is cranking out "real" Superman stories. I wonder if that will change, now that DC editorial is moving to the West Coast, where DC's digital initiative is based. Would be a shame, since DC Digital is doing a better job creating comics these days than the main office.

  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Newsarama interview with Lobdell says that in April and May we'll be getting a crossover between Superman/Wonder Woman, Superman and Action Comics. Then in June, Johns will be taking over Superman with issue #32.

  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Still wish that JRjr was drawing the "real" Superman.

    This reminds me of back during the Clone Saga when a lot of the issues were caused by some prolific writer who came on board and essentially pitched a fit that he wasn't getting to write for the "real" Spider-man since Ben Reilly was currently under the mask.

    I wonder how long before DC has someone prolific that wants to write the "real" version of one of their characters?

    Oh heck, this is modern DC. It's probably already happened and DC told them to shove it.

    Or write Scooby Doo.

    Though from what I've heard, Jim Lee considers himself an authority on what the "real" version of comic characters are, and since he had a huge hand in designing the New 52 and is currently the Co-[whatever rank he and Didio have], I'm sure that would create problems for anyone pitching ideas about writing the "real" versions.

    Wasn't this basically the cause of the last few reboots, and the reasons a bunch of new-to-the-mantle characters haven't been seen since?

    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
This discussion has been closed.