As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fake guns and the people who love them. [NERF]

• FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    I like velcro nerf bullets

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    Barrel Break IX-2s are awesome

they're small, sawed-off style double-barrel shotguns, that reload (as the name implies) with a break-open action like real shotguns

at one point a buddy of mine rushed me with a sword and I had a Barrel Break and I fired and he dodged, and then when he got to me and swung, I flicked the switch to open the barrels and hooked his blade with the opened gun, pinning the sword

while we struggled, I loaded two darts in, pushed him back with my shoulder, locking the gun closed

snapped the barrels in, and point-blanked him as he rushed a second time

felt p boss

Bluedude152Local H JayTrippyJingWeedLordVegeta-TalYaYaDimosarJacques L'HommeDarth WaiterThe BetgirlEtchwartsLord_Asmodeuschromdom
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHBST1QZq0w&feature=youtube_gdata_player this would be an awesome thing to do in a theme park or some shit.

since we are talking about fake guns

I also feel the need to bring up Airsoft and my experience with it

I got heavy into the "MilSim" scene for airsoft some years back

which to be frank is basically just LARPing but instead of homemade armor you're wearing military gear and instead of going MAGIC MISSILE MAGIC MISSLE you're shooting electric-powered fully automatic BB rifles at each other

but in terms of being "in character" and shit it's just a less dorky lookin version of LARPing

there were a few times we did "zombie" nights, where we'd rent an entire paintball field for a night, get like 50-100 dudes together, divide the "human" players up into factions and give them some objectives

and then add a small starting faction of "zombies", who don't use guns and behave like the Infected from L4D/28 Days Later, and can kill and infect other players

good times

good times

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Yes, continue talking about Airsoft, because I think the whole MilSim scene is legitimately interesting and also slightly scary in the sorts of people it attracts.

But I wanted to say that the Roughshot will also slam fire. It is my perfect NERF gun, it's what I've been dreaming about since I was a small child fascinated with shotguns (NO DON'T ASK I'M FINE AND WELL ADJUSTED).

• LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Re: that video, they really should have holed up and loaded as many guns as possible instead of wasting time running back and forth. 3000 rounds don't mean jack if they're not able to shoot them.

Legba on
  • LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Nerf guns are so much fun. I have a pair of Mavericks and a Rayven. The Battery powered ones are pretty nice even if you spend more time loading it than firing it. We probably still have darts hiding in the lab from the time me and the one other dude at work who owned some decided to share. Shame he moved away.

I want that Roughcut that was posted now that I know it exists, and a Stockade.

Naphtali
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    When I lived in the dorms I use to have one of those off brand neon green double barreled shotguns with the cartridges that loaded into the gun.
    It was so fun and so impracticle

Some pics from my Airsoft days:

This was one part of the big paintball field we used to rent out for our games:
    FR0903_41.jpg

Another shot:
    FR0903_3.jpg

At one of our Zombie games someone had set this fucking thing up
    20120728_092947.jpg

Lemme tell you, getting lit up with that thing when you are out in the open HURTS A LOT

We also rented some spaces for indoor games sometimes:
    DSC_0396.jpg

And some craaaazy fields up north where we did like a post-apocalyptic scenario and stuff, first time I played a game where vehicles were allowed:
    82641894.GNF5FsmQ.jpg

Airsoft is p rad

it's also expensive, it is not a cheap hobby by any stretch of any imagination

which is why I don't do it no mores

LegbaFutoreTrippyJingTankHammerLord_Asmodeus
    @pony where is that? It looks very similar (the first picture) to a place out here called Blast Camp

Bucketman wrote: »
    @pony where is that? It looks very similar (the first picture) to a place out here called Blast Camp

They're all in south-western Ontario, except the big field with the cars, which was waaaaay up north, almost Quebec practically I think?

• VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I'm obsessed with the tiny ones.
    http://nerf.wikia.com/wiki/Reflex_IX-1
    http://nerf.wikia.com/wiki/Jolt_EX-1
    http://nerf.wikia.com/wiki/Triad_EX-3
    LOOK AT THAT SHIT

YEAH THEY ONLY HOLD ONE DART EACH BUT YOU CAN JUST CARRY TEN LIKE A PIRATE OR SOMETHING

funny enough these little ones are also the most powerful and accurate thanks to their internals being so streamlined, no moving parts(except for the plunger) means no gaps for air pressure to leak out so the darts fly really fucking far.

VALVEjunkie on
    the Reflex IX-1 even comes in packs of like

six

VALVEjunkie
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    throw that shit to the ground like Neo and pull out two more

PNk1Ml4.png
    VALVEjunkie
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    eg
    fucking
    zactly

these are also owny http://nerf.wikia.com/wiki/Element_EX-6

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    If I ever am part of of another nerfwar, I am just going to strap dozens of those things inside my jacket

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    VALVEjunkie
    Buddy of mine bought a wrist gun online

apparently Nerf made these years ago, they strap to your wrist and have a single-fire, pull back mechanism like a Reflex

so he goes into Nerf wars with one of those on his wrist and a sword in his hand

which is balla as fuck

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Buddy of mine bought a wrist gun online

apparently Nerf made these years ago, they strap to your wrist and have a single-fire, pull back mechanism like a Reflex

so he goes into Nerf wars with one of those on his wrist and a sword in his hand

which is balla as fuck

I think I have that wrist gun somewhere still. Otherwise, I gave it to my nephew.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    edited January 2013
    also golly do MilSim Airsoft guys get super mad when you get a melee kill on them with a rubber bayonet

I went out to a game the one time and my gun's battery died and I didn't have a sidearm, so I said fuck it and just went around with my rubber practice bayonet

I'd sneak up on guys and stab them and they'd be like "THE FUCK?! REEEEFFFF!"

after the first game that happened in the guy hosting it was like "Guys you do know that melee kills are legit right like seriously if some guy can sneak up on you and fucking knife you that is absolutely your fault for letting that happen."

Pony on
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    wrist gun + sword is literally Ezio

PNk1Ml4.png
    Local H JayGrey GhostEtchwartsLord_Asmodeus
    Someone take those special edition ezio wrist blades gamestops always seem to have, and replace the knife with nerf

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    I had never seriously looked at the Nerf mod community so I poked my head in a forum and now I'm never going back. It isn't safe for me there.

Bluedude152
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    goddammit I thought I was out

then I see the new fucking Maverick and I am already making plans to go to the toy store after work

@Peen you're a monster

I use to have this awful nerf gun that was shaped like a scorpian, it shot a dark from its mouth then the tail would curl and shoot another from the tail.

It was slow an not practical

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    also, years ago, I bought a couple of modified and painted Mavericks off a guy on this here forum

he never delivered

I would really like those guns or the two hundo I gave him

gearsofwarlancer_2.jpg
    Just look at this thing. Who looked at a nerf gun and thought "needs a chainsaw"

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    BucketmanTallahasseerielLegbaTrippyJingEtchwartsLord_AsmodeusDevlin_Dragonus
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    also, years ago, I bought a couple of modified and painted Mavericks off a guy on this here forum

he never delivered

I would really like those guns or the two hundo I gave him

wow, really? that's weak.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    YaYaSeriouslyLegbaTrippyJingLord_Asmodeus
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    slightly nerf related.

we went to a wedding last night and the bride and groom had asked for a roomba on their wishlist.

so a group of their engineer buddies (including one guy that works for google apparently) pooled together and got a roomba. And then modded it to have a big nerf gun on top that would shoot while the roomba was on the move.

and then the roomba would pick up the darts.

was pretty cool looking.

LegbaJayKaosTrippyJingPhoenix-D
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    gearsofwarlancer_2.jpg
    Just look at this thing. Who looked at a nerf gun and thought "needs a chainsaw"
    All nerf guns need chainsaws.

TankHammerTallaclassee
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    That Lancer mod is pretty kickass, especially the fact that the chainsaw can be revved up.

Also, @YaYa, I hope whoever stiffed you ate a ban, at least.

• HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    I'm sad nerf has discontinued the melee weapons. I have a long sword that was torn up by a cat and like a replacement.

But man if I had the marauder sword back in like 1990, I'd probably would've been the most satisfied kid in the world.

steam_sig.png
  • NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    One of the things I find amusing about airsoft is that some dudes drop hella cash on airsofts guns to the point that they are sometime more expensive than real AR-15s or what ever. Still it's fun but not a cheap hobby

xXNXOA7.png?1
    Jacques L'Homme
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    holy shit guys, they made a new maverick.

strongarm.jpg

and it's got the "slam firing" meaning if you hold the trigger and cock it it rapid fires.

Hello yes I need one or five of these...

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I learned recently that there is a Nerf arena nearby where I live

I didn't know a such a thing even existed.

BLM - ACAB
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    wrist gun + sword is literally Ezio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYBcr8LpNAk

• Firematic.Firematic. Registered User regular
    I got myself a Longshot a few years ago and have worked on it intermittently. I've found a few people do really nice instructions for modifications including pictures which helped immensely, particularly for reassembly since the Longshot has like, actual internals. I stopped short of a brass breach/barrel mod although I did purchase the brass tubing.

Also, the nerf bandolier? As ridiculous as it looks it is super nice for anything that uses the magazine feed system. I think it holds 6 magazines and 15 or so single darts, and is pretty well put together (good stitching, actual metal clasp rather than plastic)

This is right before I blacked out the barrel/carrying handle/charging handle, wanted to go for a Fallout anti-materiel rifle look. Kinda want to go back to it someday.

DbRswzH.jpg

(also keep in mind some places wont let you do nerfwars/nerf zombies with modded weapons, which I found out after the fact)

Hacksaw
    That is really cool. How does it shoot, with the barrel extended that way?

• Firematic.Firematic. Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    The new barrel is pvc so even though it is longer, it is lower friction than the standard plastic. I also removed the air restrictor and did a few other mods to the actual plunger mechanism, so it fires with more velocity. I would probably make it a bit shorter if I go back to it though, somewhere between where it stands now (at about 3 feet overall) and the standard length.

Firematic. on
  • BoomerjinksBoomerjinks Denver, ColoradoRegistered User regular
    My brother and I grew up with early 90s NERF guns.

I can't really remember any before the Bow and Arrow.
    Nerf-Bow-n-Arrow-whatever-happened-to-32682821-322-300.jpg

Later we had a Sharp Shooter that was capable of sticking darts to the ceiling of our cabin for WEEKS. We never modded our guns until the 2000s, but I swear this thing could bruise you.
    ff_nerf3_ss.jpg

My brother had the Arrowstorm, which I wasn't strong enough to aim and fire.
    ArrowstormBox.jpg

Later we would buy tons of nerf guns from second hand stores. They didn't have their stickers anymore, but were just as good. I seem to recall having the missilestorm. A neighbor kid had the ballzooka and I remember getting hit in the face by that thing from maybe two feet away. Jesus fuck it hurt.
    Blastamatic.jpg

The Eagleeye was my main gun for most of the 90s. Probably because I felt I needed the "laser" sight, which is sad in retrospect.
    EagleEye.jpg

I saved up for a year and bought the Razorbeast sometime around 1997. I distinctly remember having a nerf war with my 7th grade friends on a playground and wielding it as a club when I ran out of darts.
    nerf_razorbeast.jpg

In 2005 I think we had a half dozen mavericks hidden in the house where I lived with four of my best friends. We even had those velcro darts, which was great because one of our roommates always wore big wool robes and we'd peg her over and over as she walked out to the kitchen for coffee.

I wish the clear plastic nerf guns were available for sale in the US, or even the white ones. Great thread!

You tell 'em I'm postin'! And Hell's postin' with me!
    c3hBq.jpg
    Check out Colorado Movie Cars! It's amazing!