As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Planetside 2]: NiZn doesnt do it for me anymore, only LiCoO2 gives the fix I need.

• Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    anchored mode for TR MAXes made me chuckle

because it worked sooo well for the prowler right?

Planted MAXes were very strong in the right situation in PS1. Of course, they're susceptible to rockets (OH MY GOD THE ROCKETS) but when you absolutely have to be able to kill the first three things through the door... :D

"Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Welp, I think I had more fun tonight than the rest of my time in the game put together.

...And yet I still feel a bit bitter.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    So, I was watching the stream and they gave the final round to fucking TR on Waterson. They had less than 20% of the territory, but I guess they can't let TB look like the schmuck he is.

a5ehrenGONG-00CarbonFireElvenshae
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    VANU! WHAT IS YOUR PROFESSION!?

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    VANU, I SALUTE YOU

Twitch Streaming basically all week
    SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    edited January 2013
    I was pulling 35k exp an hour tonight. I am so glad to see dubs back for the weekend.

A duck! on
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I really hope they clear up those scores, Vanu handedly won challenges 2 and 3 on watterson.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    I was pulling 35k exp an hour tonight. I am so glad to see dubs back for the weekend.

how the fuck...? tonight has been horrible for me. But then I've been on Indar since I couldn't seem to get to Amerish :(

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Good fun (especially since VS won), but they should have neutralized the whole continent at the start of the event for fairness. A neutral continent would have meshed nicely with challenge 3 (the territory control) which should have been first. After the land grab, the facility control challenge would be a natural escalation. Capping the night off with the awesome madness at the Bastion would have worked better IMO as the finale.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    Elldren
    Splash screen saying TR won tonight's UES is such crap...

I'll give them the "people's vote" or whatever because TB no doubt does a great job of being a spokesman, but VS won the actual...you know...GAME.

Elldren
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Yea, on Helios NC held the Bastion at the start of the challenge, so we won that easily. I was 50-0 for that hour.

At the end of the challenge we held the Bastion and one other territory, so we started pretty far behind for that last challenge. If we had another 3 minutes, we would have won that one too. NC on Helios really stepped it up tonight.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Enig wrote: »

Looks to me like Tribes people

yuck

fuck gendered marketing
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »

I'll give them the "people's vote" or whatever because TB no doubt does a great job of being a spokesman, but VS won the actual...you know...GAME.

Yeah, if they're just going to award victory to whoever can facebook and twitterwhore more, then why even bother participating. TR got stomped in challnege 2 and 3 and gave them 3 anyway, because we can't make TB's home server Terran's look bad.

camo_sig.png
    Elldren

A competitive gaming organization, whom all are struggling for attention and legitimacy, getting involved with a game where the PR and marketing, not the outcome, determines the "winner" of a highly publicized event. Strange bedfellows...

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    do you actually get anything for winning?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    do you actually get anything for winning?

There have been rumors to that effect, yes

fuck gendered marketing
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    So NC didn't do much? I missed the whole thing.

Man, we have a shitty leader.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

yuck

Gah, orbitals didn't ruin tribes. Fuck that guy. Every other godawful disgustingly idiotic change they made ruined tribes. As long as orbital strikes aren't being spammed every two minutes, they have awesome potential. Mortars constantly shelling an area could be far more frustrating.

Twitch Streaming basically all week
    SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    I'm kind of glad I decided not to bother tonight if the end result of the whole thing was determined by a "fan vote" based on the live event.

übergeek
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    So, I was watching the stream and they gave the final round to fucking TR on Waterson. They had less than 20% of the territory, but I guess they can't let TB look like the schmuck he is.
    I really hope they clear up those scores, Vanu handedly won challenges 2 and 3 on watterson.
    GONG-00 wrote: »

A competitive gaming organization, whom all are struggling for attention and legitimacy, getting involved with a game where the PR and marketing, not the outcome, determines the "winner" of a highly publicized event. Strange bedfellows...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdNQjHzAlsY

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    Got in a dog fight with 3 scythes and dropped all of em.

Feels good.

Learn to fly Vanu.

edited January 2013

This is indeed bizarre. I can't figure out the point of having a people's vote, let alone having it determine the "winner".

Elldren wrote: »

yuck

Strikes are terrible in Tribes, but that is specific to the game. It doesn't really apply to PS2. I just thought it odd since I figured huge death explosions would be you know.. kinda cool?

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    edited January 2013
    Wait, how did TR even take round 3? Even with the Waterson garbage we took that round on twice as many servers.

EDIT - Ah, it was entirely based on Connery. We'd have honesty done more by posting on fucking Twitter than playing.

A duck! on
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Yeah, don't think I'm going to participate for the rest of it now, we worked our asses off, and they decide TB wins because of votes. If voting determines the winner, there's no point in playing the game to try and win. LevelCap could have swept all 3 events on Connery and they still would have said TB won.

camo_sig.png
    a5ehren
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    übergeek wrote: »
    Yeah, don't think I'm going to participate for the rest of it now, we worked our asses off, and they decide TB wins because of votes. If voting determines the winner, there's no point in playing the game to try and win. LevelCap could have swept all 3 events on Connery and they still would have said TB won.
    Yeah, looking at the results, we're going to get nerfed (because we won) even though we "lost". That's pretty dumb.

Also, I down-voted orbital strikes because I don't think SOE can balance it properly. I'd rather it be added after they finish the class refreshes and several other things on the list. I want to know who the 9 people voting against account-wide unlocks are, though.

a5ehren on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    personally I think strikes would be kinda awful in this game too

the only real virtue they have is making it easier to dig out an entrenched enemy defense, and there's already enough explosives to spam at that kind of thing

NREqxl5.jpg
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I think the orbital strike should be a high intensity, solid state laser. Like the one you see in Akira
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQh26wKS6f8

I would also accept orbital mass drivers ala Babylon 5
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjIlqrAfbbg

I think the bombing idea is kind of dumb and doesn't really fit.

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    Elbasunu
  • KiaburraKiaburra Registered User regular
    wakkawa wrote: »
    Got in a dog fight with 3 scythes and dropped all of em.

Feels good.

Learn to fly Vanu.

Happens on all sides. I was in a Scythe last night and ran across the worst Mossie pilot ever. He just saw another Scythe, lined up behind him, and followed, utterly ignoring me shooting his tail off. He never fired, just adjusted his aim on the lead again and again. He flew so bad I -missed- half my shots expecting him to dodge.

Planetside2: Sincerity of COA
    steam_sig.png
  • KiaburraKiaburra Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    No matter how awesome Orbital strikes can be I just can't see a balance point. If they're cheap enough for a player to use, they're cheap enough to be spammed, if not by one guy then by everyone. Hmm....

So would this work?
    1) Certed in the leadership tree, like Squad beacons and like beacons can only be used by squad leaders and on a similar timer.
    2) Basic effectiveness about a round of zephyr-fire from a Lib. Cert up to a third level of 'nothing could survive that!' vehiclular boom to hit the zerg tank column stuck on the goat path with a heap of darwinism.
    3) Resources, maybe double tank mines, 200? That's what it takes to blow up a tank. 100 Aerospace resources?

Throwing this up on the roadmap and seeing if it flies.

Edit - yeah, just saw the flaw. You can rotate squad leaders every 30 seconds and light up the countryside for 6 minutes.

Kiaburra on
    Planetside2: Sincerity of COA
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2013
    One orbital strike painter should cost 300 of each resource or 700 of one.

Edit: I was playing last night for a while. I had a bunch of certs saved up so I decided to give the slugs for the hacksaws a try. I already had the extended mags and everyone had told me the slugs were not very good. Let me tell you, slugs for the Hacksaws are very VERY worth it. If I am remembering correctly, Slugs do 500 damage per round. each hacksaw fires 3 rounds per side. The way you fight will have to change slightly. No longer will you be able to just hold down the triggers at anything but point blank range. The amount of damage you do to an enemy MAX is a bit less as well. Where these new slug-saws really shine is against targets that would normally be just outside of your effective range as a MAX. Everyone's effective range is going to be different just because of play-style. I can give you some numbers. Take your effective range with the Hacksaws. Extended mags on both arms is going to push that effective distance out by about 10 meters. Slugs push this range out by another 10 meters still. What is totally awesome is that you can still engage targets past even the extended maximum effective range if you fire slowly enough. I managed to take out a medic at about 65 meters last night with the Slug-Saws. This would have been impossible without slugs. One of the guys I play with managed to pull the weapon stats directly from the game and had this to say about Slug-Saws. They have the tightest spread of any of the MAX shotguns. They lose stopping power faster, but I don;t think the slugs are effected by this.

TL:DR Get the extended mags than the slugs if you are rocking the hacksaws.

That_Guy on
    I always thought the deciding showdown was on Connery, so no surprise there. OTOH, I'm a little surprised that if TR won only the 3rd round on Connery, they still won overall? Were the other rounds just for fun?

Also...that scoreboard makes it pretty plain that I think TR and NC are in for some buffs compared to VS. I'm a little surprised to see NC doing better than TR, but only a little. The more I play the more I feel like TR may have it the worst off in terms of what their stuff can do in the hands of experienced players - but some of that may just be due to the high ROF TR weapons not actually being in game yet.

That said, unless these events are much more global than they were tonight, I doubt I'll be participating in them. I couldn't get into Connery at all (which is to be expected) and I couldn't get into Amerish on Waterson.

steam_sig.png
    I don't know, guys, on watterson at least, I feel FAR from OP...I just feel ORGANIZED.

Then I see people saying Vanu has the most POP all the time and again, not ever the case on Watterson...how...how butthurt can people be?

I am just re-stating that if they want Orbital Strikes that are on par with PS1 strikes, it needs a hefty resource cost and make its availability tied to control of a specific base/facility type like the planned Interlink facilities. Also, as much as I do jihad mine runs on AMSes, it needs to be more difficult to personally deploy than a mine, grenade, or spawn beacon.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
    I have been of the opinion, since the beta, that the Low ROF, High Damage guns are the best. They benefit the most from attachments to the point where they have COD levels of recoil. The stock LMG for NC, is the best all around weapon I have used in the game thus far. It is as accurate as a sniper rifle, does almost as much damage, as a 100 round mag and can be fired full auto if needed.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I don't know, guys, on watterson at least, I feel FAR from OP...I just feel ORGANIZED.

Then I see people saying Vanu has the most POP all the time and again, not ever the case on Watterson...how...how butthurt can people be?

they use any excuse they can grasp ahold of so that they can go to sleep at night, instead of realizing the truth that they never have and never would be the greatest player of all time.

organization is such a force multiplier that the majority of ''zombies'' can't even recognize it. the zerg is not organization. platoons like CoA and the others organize. the fact that our outfit leaders are willing to talk with each other about how to go about taking a continent is leagues above the ''zombie'' player base. I thought my boss was harsh with that zombie vernacular at work, but I can see its truth everywhere. A zombie is a person that doesnt think and just clocks in and clocks out, they just go with the status quo, they dont innovate or strive to become better.

Look at us forumers. We strive to become better at the hobby of our choice. We try new things even if they would probably fail. But when they succeed, you see it trickle down after a while. We go out looking for information that others have found so that we may increase our abilities. That's more than most do.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    TOGSolid
    edited January 2013

I think we very organized on Waterson, but it's a truism that the overpowered side always feels/says it's not OP, it's just more organized/skilled/whatever. Which is never true, across all servers for an entire game. It couldn't possibly be.
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I have been of the opinion, since the beta, that the Low ROF, High Damage guns are the best. They benefit the most from attachments to the point where they have COD levels of recoil. The stock LMG for NC, is the best all around weapon I have used in the game thus far. It is as accurate as a sniper rifle, does almost as much damage, as a 100 round mag and can be fired full auto if needed.

And yet it's the worst starter rifle I've ever used. It was painful. It needs some good attachments. I've been getting reamed by some high BR NC who have that gun certed out the ass. I'm pretty sure it outdamages the VS and TR AI MAX at long range, for example. Thing is deadly in good hands. It makes newbies hate life.

Vorpal on
    steam_sig.png
    Just giving orbitals a high resource cost wouldn't really be a solution to spamming them; there are enough players in a highly trafficked area to make that a non-issue (look what people already do with galaxy rams, or just the number of vehicles bumping into each other at an amp station.)

There'd have to be some kind of hex wide lockout on them, and that seems like it'd be more annoying than anything.

Most of all I'm just not seeing the need for them. It's super frustrating to be killed by one, and firing one would almost certainly have a high/annoying opportunity cost. So what's the point?

NREqxl5.jpg
    edited January 2013
    Spamming orbitals doesn't really accomplish anything more than if you had just used one. Cert cost, resource cost and cooldown will generally limit how often people are willing to use them though.

The point of orbital strikes is to provide a tactical tool, usually defensive. Most often it will probably be used to take out a deployed AMS that attackers are using. Could also be useful to break standoffs by clearing enemy armor from a position. Strikes aren't very useful against infantry due to the firing delay.

Also, they are awesome explosions.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png