As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Planetside 2]: NiZn doesnt do it for me anymore, only LiCoO2 gives the fix I need.

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I have been of the opinion, since the beta, that the Low ROF, High Damage guns are the best. They benefit the most from attachments to the point where they have COD levels of recoil. The stock LMG for NC, is the best all around weapon I have used in the game thus far. It is as accurate as a sniper rifle, does almost as much damage, as a 100 round mag and can be fired full auto if needed.

The GD-22S is my favorite LMG for my NC toon. Has better RoF for close quarters but is still lethal at range using burst fire.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Vorpal wrote: »
    I always thought the deciding showdown was on Connery, so no surprise there. OTOH, I'm a little surprised that if TR won only the 3rd round on Connery, they still won overall? Were the other rounds just for fun?

Also...that scoreboard makes it pretty plain that I think TR and NC are in for some buffs compared to VS. I'm a little surprised to see NC doing better than TR, but only a little. The more I play the more I feel like TR may have it the worst off in terms of what their stuff can do in the hands of experienced players - but some of that may just be due to the high ROF TR weapons not actually being in game yet.

That said, unless these events are much more global than they were tonight, I doubt I'll be participating in them. I couldn't get into Connery at all (which is to be expected) and I couldn't get into Amerish on Waterson.

I haven't been playing much recently, but between what I've heard of the bombastic crap coming out of the faction leads (Seriously TB, I love you but your not a good propaganda minister or leader of men no matter how much you think you are or want to be for posh Brit brownie points), the scoring controversies and the server queues (I play on TR Connery when I do), my consideration to log in for this "global" event quickly went up in smoke.

Game's gotten kind of samey for me between trying to organize a mass of pubs and get people to log in for actual ops that end up being a couple hours of take and hold empty base to support the zerg and then some time actually having fun. I look forward to it's future prospects, more continents, less retards as people figure shit out, and of course, orbital strikes.

488W936.png
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    I'd rather see orbital strikes tied to a vehicle, or vehicle addon, rather than making them available as a standalone infantry consumable. Maybe lasing a target could only be possible if there's a nearby vehicle equipped with satellite communications, or something else that would provide a more obvious and vulnerable target than a player with a laser. The potential for balancing risk vs reward and overall effectiveness after initial implementation just doesn't seem to be there if they put the weapon in the hands of individual infantry.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    You could always make it so an orbital can only be used on an area once every hour or so. Set up an orbital map and show where they've been used.

Twitch Streaming basically all week
    SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I'll be on in a bit once I'm done consuming delicious tea and oatmeal. I've got some double xp to horde and I've got nothing left on my irl list of things to do. :D

wWuzwvJ.png
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Honestly guys, if any of you find that how the event was done to be dumb. Voice your concern to Higby on twitter. I'm sure his inbox is flooded with confused/angry players.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    It's not like it was ever anything other than a PR event, so the idea that they wanted to use the twitter vote or whatever to drum up exposure doesn't necessarily bother me much. It doesn't have any impact on the actual game, it's just kind of amusing that TB "won" after losing so obviously on the battlefield.

Now that I think about it, I'm sure people have spent more time talking about it as a result of this outcome than they would've if the vanu had just been declared the winners, so maybe it was planned this way all along :vincemcmahon:

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Also in an amusing circumstance, the NC have been holding allatum biolab on matherson literally all weekend. Every entrance has like four scattermaxes pointed at it at seemingly all times. They have barely any presence on indar other than that biolab, which TR and VS have been ineffectually probing the whole time.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    It's not like it was ever anything other than a PR event, so the idea that they wanted to use the twitter vote or whatever to drum up exposure doesn't necessarily bother me much. It doesn't have any impact on the actual game, it's just kind of amusing that TB "won" after losing so obviously on the battlefield.

Now that I think about it, I'm sure people have spent more time talking about it as a result of this outcome than they would've if the vanu had just been declared the winners, so maybe it was planned this way all along :vincemcmahon:

It's just ridiculous to announce that your throwing in with MLG, and then after your competition is over you declare a winner by vote instead of what actually happened. The two stances don't mesh at all.

camo_sig.png
    GONG-00Elbasunu
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    übergeek wrote: »

It's just ridiculous to announce that your throwing in with MLG, and then after your competition is over you declare a winner by vote instead of what actually happened. The two stances don't mesh at all.

Democracy has no place on the field of honour.

488W936.png
    I didn't actually watch any of the coverage, but what was their tie-in with MLG? I don't see how you'd really declare a 'winner' in PS2, especially considering population issues.

NREqxl5.jpg
    I didn't actually watch any of the coverage, but what was their tie-in with MLG? I don't see how you'd really declare a 'winner' in PS2, especially considering population issues.

Because E-sports demands a conclusion and we needs to be hip with the kids and their e-sports.

Next there will be a Planetside brand of energy drink not unlike gamer food in it's garishness, and it will be called Planetaid or Auraxtreme or Vanu Vector.

488W936.png
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I will drink vanu vector... even if its the harshest most sugared down purple drink that it will probably be.
    its not even grape. it's what you'd expect the color purple to taste like.

because Im vanu and I believe in the brand. :P

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    I will drink vanu vector... even if its the harshest most sugared down purple drink that it will probably be.

I thought the colour purple tasted like chocolate. In which case sign me up for some of that.

488W936.png
    I wouldn't drink it because you know, energy drink, but I might buy one ironically

NREqxl5.jpg

You make it sound as though our beverage engineers couldn't create the perfect drink by harnessing superior Vanu technology.

Sure it glows cyan, but it tastes great.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »

You make it sound as though our beverage engineers couldn't create the perfect drink by harnessing superior Vanu technology.

In case you were wondering, the glowing shit on the VS infantry are just small holes in the suit.

Elbasunu
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    I never understood why people ninja cap shit. Yay you capped a point where bases really don't mean shit! Especially when it's entire outfit to go and cap an empty base

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Also in an amusing circumstance, the NC have been holding allatum biolab on matherson literally all weekend. Every entrance has like four scattermaxes pointed at it at seemingly all times. They have barely any presence on indar other than that biolab, which TR and VS have been ineffectually probing the whole time.

NC on Connery did something similar over a month ago on Connery. Since we are pretty much always in last place we said "fuck it, we're taking Crown" and held it for almost three days straight while being under siege from VS and TR the entire time.

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    wakkawa wrote: »
    I never understood why people ninja cap shit. Yay you capped a point where bases really don't mean shit! Especially when it's entire outfit to go and cap an empty base

Yeah, why do people take territory in a game that revolves around taking territory? Weirdos.

A duck! wrote: »

Yeah, why do people take territory in a game that revolves around taking territory? Weirdos.

It's boring but it's necessary.

488W936.png
    edited January 2013

The point being that territory doesn't mean jack shit. You don't get a game over, you get nothing. Literally nothing happens when you cap a continent. Just find a fight and join it. In other games playing the objective means you'll at least be having fun. Like battlefield or COD. But the maps are so big in this game purposefully avoiding the other team just boggles my mind.

But whatever. If people want to play 30 minutes of standing around doing nothing then I guess more power to them.

wakkawa on

The point being that territory doesn't mean jack shit. You don't get a game over, you get nothing. Literally nothing happens when you cap a continent. Just find a fight and join it.

But whatever. If people want to play 30 minutes of standing around doing nothing then I guess more power to them.

You get resources to continue the fight elsewhere more efficiently ad naseum.

If you don't find that entertaining then do as I do and do something else or at least let others do the boring shit in peace.

488W936.png
    edited January 2013
    Corehealer wrote: »

The point being that territory doesn't mean jack shit. You don't get a game over, you get nothing. Literally nothing happens when you cap a continent. Just find a fight and join it.

You get resources to continue the fight elsewhere more efficiently ad naseum.

If you don't find that entertaining then do as I do and do something else or at least let others do the boring shit in peace.

I just wish the bases were handled in another way.

To collect on the experience of capturing a base is really awful. You can either alt+tab and browse the net for 15 minutes while that tech lab caps or go fight somewhere else and not get the exp for it.

wakkawa on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    The point is to allow the defenders time to gtfo and prep elsewhere. I don't see the problem with that end of the capturing system. Ghost capping needs to gtfo though. Bases should not flip without someone standing on the point.

wWuzwvJ.png
    well, some kind of capture delay is necessary to slow down one side's rush; a continent could be rolled up really quickly otherwise.

it isn't such a big deal at the large bases (and even at towers) because usually there's a fight there, but capping all the 250 exp size bases can get tedious (especially on amerish.)

NREqxl5.jpg
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

The point being that territory doesn't mean jack shit. You don't get a game over, you get nothing. Literally nothing happens when you cap a continent. Just find a fight and join it. In other games playing the objective means you'll at least be having fun. Like battlefield or COD. But the maps are so big in this game purposefully avoiding the other team just boggles my mind.

Literally nothing being resources, a nice bonus, a better foothold, etc.

Twitch Streaming basically all week
    SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    One orbital strike painter should cost 300 of each resource or 700 of one.

Edit: I was playing last night for a while. I had a bunch of certs saved up so I decided to give the slugs for the hacksaws a try. I already had the extended mags and everyone had told me the slugs were not very good. Let me tell you, slugs for the Hacksaws are very VERY worth it. If I am remembering correctly, Slugs do 500 damage per round. each hacksaw fires 3 rounds per side. The way you fight will have to change slightly. No longer will you be able to just hold down the triggers at anything but point blank range. The amount of damage you do to an enemy MAX is a bit less as well. Where these new slug-saws really shine is against targets that would normally be just outside of your effective range as a MAX. Everyone's effective range is going to be different just because of play-style. I can give you some numbers. Take your effective range with the Hacksaws. Extended mags on both arms is going to push that effective distance out by about 10 meters. Slugs push this range out by another 10 meters still. What is totally awesome is that you can still engage targets past even the extended maximum effective range if you fire slowly enough. I managed to take out a medic at about 65 meters last night with the Slug-Saws. This would have been impossible without slugs. One of the guys I play with managed to pull the weapon stats directly from the game and had this to say about Slug-Saws. They have the tightest spread of any of the MAX shotguns. They lose stopping power faster, but I don;t think the slugs are effected by this.

TL:DR Get the extended mags than the slugs if you are rocking the hacksaws.

I've been using slugs on one arm, regular on the other. In most situations, I don't notice a difference. Most of the time I only shoot from one of the guns, then reload right away (to avoid reloading both at the same time). However, I still have the ability to hit people outside normal range and still have one gun with spread that makes it easier to hit people when I'm at a lower framerate.

• anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    The capture system right now is okay, and I realize why it's set up the way it is, but damn if I didn't wish I could see something more substantial than the same hex just going back and forth in color all day. I don't know how to balance making it accessible and like you still accomplished something even remotely long term. I'd like to see future continents play with different versions of the capture system. Not sure if that'll manifest though.

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Well, one of the objectives on the roadmap is bring back Contient Lock from PS1, and another is overhauling the Resource System to make holding territories for the resources they generate a thing that's aactually important. Those two would put a bit more purpose behind the game.

steam_sig.png
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Continental lock to force the fight onto other continents should help things if they get the duration of the lock right.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    ElbasunuAvynte
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Continental lock to force the fight onto other continents should help things if they get the duration of the lock right.

Yeah, that's the tricky part. They've said that it won't be possible for a faction to be locked out of every contient, but I'm kinda worried about the situation where every contient has been locked by a different faction and noone can fight anyone on that server.

steam_sig.png
    Not sure what this last patch changed, but I'm crashing to desktop every half hour or so.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

Yeah, that's the tricky part. They've said that it won't be possible for a faction to be locked out of every contient, but I'm kinda worried about the situation where every contient has been locked by a different faction and noone can fight anyone on that server.

Well, it would be easy enough to have the first one unlock if the last one is conquered. Plus I don't really see that happening if the entire server population is force onto a single continent. Capping that would be immensely difficult.

Did they try some variation of this on PS1?

Taranis wrote: »

In case you were wondering, the glowing shit on the VS infantry are just small holes in the suit.

I don't follow.

EH28YFo.jpg
    by the way

I wouldn't usually advocate redit style 'advocacy' on this forum, but everybody should really get on the official forums and at the very least vote down the dumb facebook/twitter integration point on the roadmap

NREqxl5.jpg
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    by the way

I wouldn't usually advocate redit style 'advocacy' on this forum, but everybody should really get on the official forums and at the very least vote down the dumb facebook/twitter integration point on the roadmap

Meh. It's dumb but completely optional, and gives way more exposure to the game for free if even a fraction of people turn it on. I guarantee that's getting in no matter how the vote turns out.

a5ehren on
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular

You'd just introduce 2 conditions.
    The first condition would be capping a continent initially makes it unconquerable for 6 hours (arbitrary number). This grants a reprieve and makes people move to the next continent.

The second would be, there must always be two continents open to play on.
    What this means is if a second continent is capped with the current three within 6hours, the previous continent is now unlocked.
    With searhus, two continent could be locked down, then when the third is locked, the oldest capped continent unlocks.

With more continents you can adjust these conditions or put new ones in as you see fit, making continent locks last longer, connecting them so that you must capture amerish before you get to indar, etc.
    You'd probably just keep it so 2 or 3 continents must always be open to fight on, and just extend the continent lock timer.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    anable wrote: »

Well, it would be easy enough to have the first one unlock if the last one is conquered. Plus I don't really see that happening if the entire server population is force onto a single continent. Capping that would be immensely difficult.

Did they try some variation of this on PS1?

PS1 had a lot more continents, and all locking did (in terms of restrictions) was prevent enemies from HART drop-podding in to the continent. Basically, every 15 (later 5) minutes an automated space shuttle would show up in your empire sanctuary, and you could board it to be able to pick a continent and location to drop-pod in on.

When a continent was locked you were no longer able to pick that continent from the HART map, but you could always drive/fly through the warpgate network to get there. The PS1 warpgates were actual gates that served as neutral ground (everyone could enter, and weapons were locked in them) that linked to specific continents. You'd go into the beam in the central platform and end up on the other side at the corresponding warpgate on the continent it was linked to.

(I'm leaving out broadcast warpgates from this because it's not relevant :P)

The idea behind locking a continent was you'd get a global benefit for your empire, depending on which continent you held.

steam_sig.png
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Weren't the continents generally smaller in PS1?

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire