As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2013 Pax Parties!

15678911»

• Options
    MidnyghtChildeMidnyghtChilde NYRegistered User regular
    This was my 4th PAX, but first time leaving the BCEC for parties. The ESO party was amazing - the theme was great, the prizes were sweet, it was well worth the trip there. We were glad we walked, but then took a cab back, we made it there around 6:30pm just before they capped the party for a little bit.

We then tried to get to Curse at 9 but it was a zoo, and I heard there were 4x more tickets printed than spaces in the party, so we bailed.

• Options
    TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    I'd like to hear what went on at the Sanshee party. I thought about buying a ticket, but decided I'd try to go to the ESO party (didn't as I went to the LoL player behavior panel and the enforcer at the ESO party shuttle pickup said the lines were like 2-3 hours long at that point around 7:15.)

I ended up going to Curse around 9:30-10 and only waited about 10 minutes to get in. I somehow got two drink tickets while my friend only got one (guess the guy I got my wristband from was being generous.) They did have one extra bar area this year to help with the drink lines, but I think I preferred last year's party due to the lighting being way too bright this time around.

• Options
    The_MadHatter_The_MadHatter_ Registered User regular
    I'd like to hear what went on at the Sanshee party. I thought about buying a ticket, but decided I'd try to go to the ESO party (didn't as I went to the LoL player behavior panel and the enforcer at the ESO party shuttle pickup said the lines were like 2-3 hours long at that point around 7:15.)

Kind of terrible at first, which I put more of the blame for that on the bar itself. From the way some of the Sanshee people there were talking, the management kind of screwed things over. Only had one or two bartenders for several hundred people in a bar that was so packed that you could barely move for the first hour and a half or so. Even a local I was talking to Sunday night who wasn't a PAX-goer said it was a shit bar, so if they get a different venue I'll have higher hopes for next year.

But after the people who were sick of the lines, ran out of drink tickets, and wanted to go to Curse all left (about an hour and a half to two hours after the party started) it cleared up a bit more so you could get a drink almost immediately. Ended up having a good time and enjoyed their themed drinks.

PSN ID, Steam: The_MadHatter_
  • Options
    CatalepticalCataleptical New JerseyRegistered User regular
    Krissta wrote: »
    I had to leave way early to get myself back to the Westin for the Irrational party. The parties are always great. Nice and low-key. Spent most of the night chatting with a really great couple from New Jersey. :)

That's so weird! My wife and I spent the night talking with an awesome couple from New Hampshire at the VERY SAME party. What are the odds? :)
    APacMan wrote: »
    I don't suppose you got any pictures of the 'parade' or the poses that Courtney was conducting us into?
    I do have a few pictures from the Bookerses and the Elizabeths, but they're not really great quality. I'll upload all the Irrational pics I have tonight.

379by4cj0i1l.png
  • Options
    GrimRupertGrimRupert Registered User regular

Kind of terrible at first, which I put more of the blame for that on the bar itself. From the way some of the Sanshee people there were talking, the management kind of screwed things over. Only had one or two bartenders for several hundred people in a bar that was so packed that you could barely move for the first hour and a half or so. Even a local I was talking to Sunday night who wasn't a PAX-goer said it was a shit bar, so if they get a different venue I'll have higher hopes for next year.

But after the people who were sick of the lines, ran out of drink tickets, and wanted to go to Curse all left (about an hour and a half to two hours after the party started) it cleared up a bit more so you could get a drink almost immediately. Ended up having a good time and enjoyed their themed drinks.

If they change venues then who knows how it'll be again. Was it another "too loud to hear yourself think" party, even after it cleared out? Or was it a much more chat friendly atmosphere?

Also curious to hear about MadCatz.

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    [X] - Pre-registered | [ ] - Train tickets | [ ] - Time Off
  • Options
    The_MadHatter_The_MadHatter_ Registered User regular
    GrimRupert wrote: »

If they change venues then who knows how it'll be again. Was it another "too loud to hear yourself think" party, even after it cleared out? Or was it a much more chat friendly atmosphere?

It was still pretty loud but wasn't terrible. It was at least a step up from the Atlantic Beer Garden on Friday night and was decent enough that myself and a couple I met could hold an actual conversation until I left again for the BCEC.

PSN ID, Steam: The_MadHatter_
  • Options
    TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular

Hmm, well hopefully next time Sanshee will get the better end of the stick on management help at the bar the pick. Wouldn't mind going next time for the themed drinks.

• Options
    KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Krissta wrote: »
    I had to leave way early to get myself back to the Westin for the Irrational party. The parties are always great. Nice and low-key. Spent most of the night chatting with a really great couple from New Jersey. :)

That's so weird! My wife and I spent the night talking with an awesome couple from New Hampshire at the VERY SAME party. What are the odds? :)
    APacMan wrote: »
    I don't suppose you got any pictures of the 'parade' or the poses that Courtney was conducting us into?
    I do have a few pictures from the Bookerses and the Elizabeths, but they're not really great quality. I'll upload all the Irrational pics I have tonight.

Wow, what a crazy random happenstance! :D

Ln5yLL7.png
  • Options
    Pics from the Irrational party are now up at IGN. Go see some awesome Bioshock cosplay!
    ign.com/images/albums/the-best-of-irrationals-bioshock-cosplay-contest?page=1

379by4cj0i1l.png
  • Options
    APacManAPacMan Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Pics from the Irrational party are now up at IGN. Go see some awesome Bioshock cosplay!
    ign.com/images/albums/the-best-of-irrationals-bioshock-cosplay-contest?page=1

Those are some great shots! Looks like just about everyone but me, hah!

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. -Robert Wilensky

Twitter: @APacManSays
  • Options
    ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    This was my 4th PAX, but first time leaving the BCEC for parties. The ESO party was amazing - the theme was great, the prizes were sweet, it was well worth the trip there. We were glad we walked, but then took a cab back, we made it there around 6:30pm just before they capped the party for a little bit.

We then tried to get to Curse at 9 but it was a zoo, and I heard there were 4x more tickets printed than spaces in the party, so we bailed.

My friends and I just crashed the Curse party. If you acted like you should be let in, they let you in.

• Options
    DelaneyDelaney Registered User regular
    I'd love to know what happened with the ESO transportation from the BCEC. That was a cluster and a half. Unfortunately, the time I wasted while the mess was being sorted out led me to choose to skip the party and move on to the other things I wanted to do that night. :(

"I will participate in the game. It's a wonderful, wonderful opera, except that it hurts." - Joseph Campbell

Steam: delaney_a

• Options
    ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    Delaney wrote: »
    I'd love to know what happened with the ESO transportation from the BCEC. That was a cluster and a half. Unfortunately, the time I wasted while the mess was being sorted out led me to choose to skip the party and move on to the other things I wanted to do that night. :(

I got massively screwed by that fiasco. Waited in line with friends since 5:30 or so. Got on the second shuttle. Shuttle driver got lost. By the time we got there, the line was down the block all the way to the corner and we were informed it was 1 in, 1 out and would probably be 3 hours before we got in. So we left and caught a shuttle back to PAX. I think we lost 2-3 hours of our time with nothing to show for it.

• Options
    coolster23coolster23 Registered User regular
    The curse party photos are up on their Facebook page. This link should work hopefully

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151445225473138.1073741826.13207908137&type=1&l=f431a34930

• Options
    GrimRupertGrimRupert Registered User regular
    coolster23 wrote: »
    The curse party photos are up on their Facebook page. This link should work hopefully

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151445225473138.1073741826.13207908137&type=1&l=f431a34930

From a scale of sober to sloshed I must have been around "when the Hell was this taken I don't remember this at all"

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    [X] - Pre-registered | [ ] - Train tickets | [ ] - Time Off
  • Options
    MalfeisMalfeis Protagonist. 2d10 hit die. Chaotic Neutral. Registered User regular
    Agreed with the ESO comments: if you waited for the shuttle from PAX, you got screwed. My friends and I waited until 7:00 (from 5:30!) for the 6:00 shuttles to arrive, only to find the wait was obscene (as stated above) outside the actual party. We toughed it out in the freezing cold with some nice fellow PAX-ers, but when we FINALLY were let inside, EVERYTHING was gone - beer, food (save for some popcorn) and everything in the souvenir booth. So we wasted four hours to arrive, get coins and a shirt, and leave because there wasn't any reason to be there.

I've heard from others that just went there early and waited outside with the general public that it was a fun event. That fun might have lasted an hour, from what I've heard. The night left a bitter taste in my mouth, and I (pointlessly, I know) e-mailed Bethesda about it.

Should have stayed in BYOC or in the Table Top area and actually enjoyed myself.

PAX East 2015 checklist: 3 Day Pass [X] Accommodations [X] Travel [ ] Time Off [X] BYOC [X]
  • Options
    vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    Malfeis wrote: »
    Agreed with the ESO comments: if you waited for the shuttle from PAX, you got screwed. My friends and I waited until 7:00 (from 5:30!) for the 6:00 shuttles to arrive, only to find the wait was obscene (as stated above) outside the actual party. We toughed it out in the freezing cold with some nice fellow PAX-ers, but when we FINALLY were let inside, EVERYTHING was gone - beer, food (save for some popcorn) and everything in the souvenir booth. So we wasted four hours to arrive, get coins and a shirt, and leave because there wasn't any reason to be there.

I've heard from others that just went there early and waited outside with the general public that it was a fun event. That fun might have lasted an hour, from what I've heard. The night left a bitter taste in my mouth, and I (pointlessly, I know) e-mailed Bethesda about it.

Should have stayed in BYOC or in the Table Top area and actually enjoyed myself.

Sorry to hear that - we saw the line for the shuttle and opted to cab it over instead. We were on line close to the front right when they stopped letting people freely in, and started doing one-in-one-out. We waited about 35 minutes or so outside.

They still had food and booze when we got in, but the line for the pewter mugs was around the building, and I heard there wasn't enough, so I didn't bother.

They did run out of beer, but managed to come back with a ton of cases. We had hung around because we were having fun with the gambling and everything else, so we made the most of the resupply. I was surprised to see the food go quick.

Seems that the folks waiting for the shuttles were the ones that got screwed, which really sucks. The shuttles back were timely.

• Options
    Susan69Susan69 Registered User regular
    Anyone who missed the elder scrolls "party" didn't really miss anything. I was there super early and all I got out of it was another eso tshirt and the satchel of eso coins. Both of which are pretty sweet. That being said, the party sucked. No themed drinks or food (yes, you can't seriously claim that calling some rando beer blackbriar mead is themed), and the one food they had looked like convention food quality sausages. I honestly was annoyed and felt like they put in minimal effort because they figured gamers don't know better. The coin based merchant dealie could have been cool, but there was literally nothing worth buying.

• Options
    vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    Susan69 wrote: »
    Anyone who missed the elder scrolls "party" didn't really miss anything. I was there super early and all I got out of it was another eso tshirt and the satchel of eso coins. Both of which are pretty sweet. That being said, the party sucked. No themed drinks or food (yes, you can't seriously claim that calling some rando beer blackbriar mead is themed), and the one food they had looked like convention food quality sausages. I honestly was annoyed and felt like they put in minimal effort because they figured gamers don't know better. The coin based merchant dealie could have been cool, but there was literally nothing worth buying.

Couldn't disagree more, but I'm not turning this into a debate forum.

"Mage, huh? Well.. to each their own."

• Options
    rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    So how do you know what each party is or is it basically just a bunch of people hanging out and drinking lol. How close to pax are these parties

• Options
    rascrush wrote: »
    So how do you know what each party is or is it basically just a bunch of people hanging out and drinking lol. How close to pax are these parties

Check out the boards (likely a thread much like this one) in the weeks leading up to and even during PAX East. The bigger corporate events are more about giving stuff away and free food/drinks. The smaller ones are more about community and getting together with board members and people from PAXes past (more like people hanging out and drinking like you said).

Finding out about the parties aside from visiting this board are tricky. Usually someone will contact a person at a company or maybe someone mentions an event on a Facebook or Twitter post.

It's actually pretty easy to find at least one party during PAX East!

379by4cj0i1l.png
This discussion has been closed.