Options

Dungeons and Dragons: The Thread of Vile Decades

12357100

Posts

  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I really would like to play A western themed D&D but sadly my attempted at making pistols and rifles of the era not game breaking has failed time and time again

  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    When I eventually restart Prism, I've been thinking of just doing it 4E style, rather than slapping a D&D stylesheet on DE?AD's [%] system.

    yes hello

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    yeah i've looked at that, seems ineloquent. plus when getting away from dnd i try to avoid d20 all together.

    If M&M were still in second edition, this would be valid. But by third edition it has moved away from traditional D&D d20 enough that you really shouldn't be deterred there.

    The equipment system isn't ideal, for a looting sort of game, because it is technically designed for good sort of superheroic folks, who don't kill and steal, but it can easily be fixed (the equipment allowance idea has been spoken of heavily in the past thread).

  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    also now that I've started actually reading up on 4e consider me baffled by everyone condemning 4e for being all combat-based and bad at roleplaying and etc.

    from what I've seen it's no more combat-based than older DnD like 3/3.5/pathfinder, it just takes stuff that was usually bloated (like the pre-4e skills system) or vague (like the pre-4e everything) or unbalanced (like pre-4e spellcaster flexibility outside combat) and made it more condensed and painless and mechanically codified (the skill challenge system) and more open to all PCs (rituals)

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    then again I've always been kinda shaky on what "good rules for roleplaying" actually are

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I really would like to play A western themed D&D but sadly my attempted at making pistols and rifles of the era not game breaking has failed time and time again
    I got this book called Ultramodern 4 that's pretty neat for guns and stuff in the 4E ruleset.

  • Options
    CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I really would like to play A western themed D&D but sadly my attempted at making pistols and rifles of the era not game breaking has failed time and time again

    Honestly your best bet for creating that in a D&D world is using D20 modern and their old west supplements. At the very least you can take the weapons and items from it.

  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well if I could find the old west book for the d20 series around here would be useful

    Still the worst time I played D&d was where magic was rare because of the war between the dragonborn and teiflings and dealt with racism
    In short it became not fun

  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    then again I've always been kinda shaky on what "good rules for roleplaying" actually are

    there is absolutely no consensus on it, and never has been, and possibly never will be, but that doesn't stop people getting really het up about how X and Y systems are meant for only the most discerning thespians and of course Z system is for violent, thyroidal video-game playing subhumans.

    and then you actually look at these games and it turns out that, when they were talking about roleplaying, what people actually meant is that X system gives you a bunch of points to assign in a fussy, granular way into a series of skills of wildly inconsistent breadth and usefulness, while Y system lets you recharge action points if your character takes a break to smoke a cigarette or mug an old person. Roleplaying!

  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah I actually really liked the d20 past book.

    Shame about d20 modern being such a fucked up system.

  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Basically any time I see like 8 posts or more waiting in the 5E thread I know a handful of people are arguing again and I should just skim for a bit until someone at Wizards posts something that I can make fun of.

    Pretty much every time someone mentions Paizo or 4E I just get ready to sit back for a page or three.

  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Denada wrote: »
    Basically any time I see like 8 posts or more waiting in the 5E thread I know a handful of people are arguing again and I should just skim for a bit until someone at Wizards posts something that I can make fun of.

    Pretty much every time someone mentions Paizo or 4E I just get ready to sit back for a page or three.

    You should change your avatar to a gif of Spongebob laughing, to get make this post perfect.

  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I am technically in the playtesting for Next, but our group never organised. That I know of.

  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    I'm thinking my first serious game will be set in an underground research facility participating in Project Desus.

    Exalted:We Shall Rise Above.

  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    also now that I've started actually reading up on 4e consider me baffled by everyone condemning 4e for being all combat-based and bad at roleplaying and etc.

    from what I've seen it's no more combat-based than older DnD like 3/3.5/pathfinder, it just takes stuff that was usually bloated (like the pre-4e skills system) or vague (like the pre-4e everything) or unbalanced (like pre-4e spellcaster flexibility outside combat) and made it more condensed and painless and mechanically codified (the skill challenge system) and more open to all PCs (rituals)

    actually from what i've seen pre-3 skill systems aren't bloated at all. cause no one has them. you get a thing noting that theives can pick locks, and acrobats can do such and such, and how assassins can sneak, but there's nothing really outside of that. Is just "are you playing a fighter? then you can't sneak good"

    but yeah, i generally agree with you here.

  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    look I'm gonna run into some rope eventually
    then they'll see

    then they'll all see

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Denada wrote: »
    Basically any time I see like 8 posts or more waiting in the 5E thread I know a handful of people are arguing again and I should just skim for a bit until someone at Wizards posts something that I can make fun of.

    Pretty much every time someone mentions Paizo or 4E I just get ready to sit back for a page or three.

    You should change your avatar to a gif of Spongebob laughing, to get make this post perfect.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kE_mpGZFRv0

    Miss me? Find me on:

    Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    ah yes

    the perfect preview pic

    Miss me? Find me on:

    Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Dubh, why did you know that existed.

    Or better yet why did you attempt to find out if it existed.

    Or better yet why did you share it with us.

  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Kudos to the creator of the SpongeKnob SquareNuts costume.

    Kudos.

  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Skills, huh? I'm part of a 3.5 campaign. It's pirate-themed. The party has their own ship. You know how many Profession (Sailor) checks they've made in the last six sessions?

    Two.

    Neither were necessary.

  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    "roll to determine if the hatches are battened"

    "16 plus 8... 24"

    "they are totally battened"

  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Huntera wrote: »
    Dubh, why did you know that existed.

    Or better yet why did you attempt to find out if it existed.

    Or better yet why did you share it with us.

    my fiance found it this morning

    I love this woman

    Miss me? Find me on:

    Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    have they been making Profession: (Pirate) checks

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    I'm sorry my fighter only has the mental capacity to learn how to swim and nothing else.

    Just like all jocks.

    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I really would like to play A western themed D&D but sadly my attempted at making pistols and rifles of the era not game breaking has failed time and time again
    I got this book called Ultramodern 4 that's pretty neat for guns and stuff in the 4E ruleset.

    http://www.diasexmachina.com/Games-Ultramodern4.htm

    Here go look at this @Brainleech

  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Roll to see if you have scurvy

    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    You always have scurvy

    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I really would like to play A western themed D&D but sadly my attempted at making pistols and rifles of the era not game breaking has failed time and time again
    I got this book called Ultramodern 4 that's pretty neat for guns and stuff in the 4E ruleset.

    http://www.diasexmachina.com/Games-Ultramodern4.htm

    Here go look at this @Brainleech

    dia sex machina dot com?

    what is this filth

  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    "roll to determine if the hatches are battened"

    "16 plus 8... 24"

    "they are totally battened"

    Yeah it was pretty much like that.

    Player: "Profession: Sailor check to rig the sails for [some sailing lingo or something]?"
    Me: "Uh, sure."
    Player: "25."
    Me: "Okay yeah you do it."

    And then the other one was for something similar but the player wasn't paying attention and didn't realize they weren't on the ship anymore.

    Denada on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I really would like to play A western themed D&D but sadly my attempted at making pistols and rifles of the era not game breaking has failed time and time again
    I got this book called Ultramodern 4 that's pretty neat for guns and stuff in the 4E ruleset.

    http://www.diasexmachina.com/Games-Ultramodern4.htm

    Here go look at this Brainleech

    dia sex machina dot com?

    what is this filth

    Haven't you ever wanted to see robot porn?

  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Denada wrote: »
    "roll to determine if the hatches are battened"

    "16 plus 8... 24"

    "they are totally battened"

    Yeah it was pretty much like that.

    Player: "Profession: Sailor check to rig the sails for [some sailing lingo or something]?"
    Me: "Uh, sure."
    Player: "25."
    Me: "Okay yeah you do it."

    And then the other one was for something similar but the player wasn't paying attention and didn't realize they weren't on the ship anymore.

    basically

    a primer on how not to use profession skills

    Miss me? Find me on:

    Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    To be fair, the intended way is pretty lame too:
    You can practice your trade and make a decent living, earning about half your Profession check result in gold pieces per week of dedicated work. You know how to use the tools of your trade, how to perform the profession’s daily tasks, how to supervise helpers, and how to handle common problems.

    So if he was using it "right" he could have spent a week to make 12 gold.

    At level 14.

  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    But without my profession skills how am I supposed to roleplay a character who has a profession fuck this game is just WoW.

  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I really, really wanna try the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying thing but all of my friends are the type who basically want to play Dungeons and Dragons and only Dungeon and Dragons.

    LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Denada wrote: »
    To be fair, the intended way is pretty lame too:
    You can practice your trade and make a decent living, earning about half your Profession check result in gold pieces per week of dedicated work. You know how to use the tools of your trade, how to perform the profession’s daily tasks, how to supervise helpers, and how to handle common problems.

    So if he was using it "right" he could have spent a week to make 12 gold.

    At level 14.

    that too

    I will never say it was a perfect integration

    or even a well-done one

    Miss me? Find me on:

    Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Denada wrote: »
    To be fair, the intended way is pretty lame too:
    You can practice your trade and make a decent living, earning about half your Profession check result in gold pieces per week of dedicated work. You know how to use the tools of your trade, how to perform the profession’s daily tasks, how to supervise helpers, and how to handle common problems.

    So if he was using it "right" he could have spent a week to make 12 gold.

    At level 14.

    man, 12 gold is like, a lot of money, if you keep this up in a few weeks you can buy a horse! A horse!

    What's that? you already ride a lesser aspect of the god of justice? well, cattle then.

  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    I can say from experience that MHR is really fun. I have no doubt that I had as much or more fun than my players when I ran it for a little while.

    It's ridiculously easy to run. The hardest part was just teaching myself to not treat it like D&D.

  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    And then you get that wierd overlap between craft skills and certain professions.

    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I suspect that if I can convince some people to play they are gonna want to make their own characters instead of playing with existing ones which the game clearly wants you to do.

This discussion has been closed.