Options

Dungeons and Dragons: The Thread of Vile Decades

134689100

Posts

  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Everytime I draw up a character for a tabletop game I tend to create some gorgeous, waify rogue or sorcerer and that kind of thing is exceedingly hard to roleplay honestly.

  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    the way DnD deals with money overall is just kind of weird

  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    tracking individual, specific amounts of wealth so you can spend it on wierdly overly specific things can go fuck itself.

    I'm looking at you, shadowrun.

    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    the thing is to remember after about level 8 or 9, anything less than platinum is an insult. if i cn't feed an entire village for a single coin of my payment i don't want any part of it.

  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    and then i'm going to buy a pretty dress with it, cause fuck the poor, I'm rich!

  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    I suspect that if I can convince some people to play they are gonna want to make their own characters instead of playing with existing ones which the game clearly wants you to do.

    It's easy. Just lay out some basic guidelines (no more than two power sets, no more than one power at d12, whatever) and let them go. There are guidelines in the book that work fine as long as you're not dealing with those guys.

  • Options
    AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    I played Dnd for the first time with friends over New Years.
    Fun as hell. I can see why it's had such enduring popularity.

    Our dungeon crawl somehow ended in a game of one on one basketball. We rolled athletics checks and of course my speedy rogue wiped the court.

    :bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    All this talk is making me want to crack open the idea I had for my Eberron campaign a year ago.

  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »
    All this talk is making me want to crack open the idea I had for my Eberron campaign a year ago.

    I still have everything for my character still ready.

    hell i could make 7 new ones before you can reply.

    I'm ready coach.

  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    and what idea was that, pray tell

  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Eberron Police Cops

  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    and then i'm going to buy a pretty dress with it, cause fuck the poor, I'm rich!

    words to live by

  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »
    All this talk is making me want to crack open the idea I had for my Eberron campaign a year ago.

    do it

    DO IT

  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    I have become newly smitten with 4e, pump it right into my veins

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    Eberron Police Cops

    when you say police cops

    do we police the cops

    or are we simply very dedicated towards regular law enforcement

  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    I have become newly smitten with 4e, pump it right into my veins

    All we got left is Essentials, you okay with that? the classes are a bit simplified but they're effective and in some cases actually more diverse.

  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    The way old D&D had it, which is kind of the way TOR does it now, and what I think is the more or less sensible way to do it, was to have money be basically trivial for mundane expenses like beer and food and stuff; you're adventurers, after all, which is a lucrative career that more people would undertake if it wasn't so scary and deadly. So where you, as an adventurer, will actually spend real money is in shit like outfitting an expedition full of hirelings and pack mules and whatnot so you can trek to the dungeon and carry those fat stacks of gold back with you, and possibly the occasional high-level divination or resurrection spell. Then, later, you hit the point where you ascend to nobility or to importance in your church/community/etc and find new uses for all that gold in building and staffing your fortress. What you don't spend money on is magical armor or better swords, because the secrets of those things are lost to the ancients (eg, it's an incentive to get out there and quest instead of staying at home playing SimSerfdom) and because even a basic +1 blade is worth more than a small town's entire productive output for a year.

    But as soon as you include rules for crafting that kind of stuff, someone's gonna go "but wait I could just make all this money sitting at home making +1 swords" and that fucks up all the incentives. We had a guy who joined my 4e Eberron game because he liked Eberron, then quit a few weeks later because all he actually wanted to do was sit at home and making crafting rolls to brew potions to sell in a shop like he had done in his old 3.x game. People on places like RPGNet or ENWorld might be like "why couldn't you accommodate that guy's beautiful free spirit, Jacobkosh, you railroading monster" but the simple real-world fact is that he was not participating with the rest of the party and my time and attention was limited, 4e doesn't have rules for profitable crafting specifically to avoid those kind of perverse incentives and I was not interested in creating any, there are better and more rewarding ways to make pretend money in games, and it was fucking stupid.

  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »
    Eberron Police Cops

    when you say police cops

    do we police the cops

    or are we simply very dedicated towards regular law enforcement

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpCsOnJS0p4

  • Options
    AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    The way old D&D had it, which is kind of the way TOR does it now, and what I think is the more or less sensible way to do it, was to have money be basically trivial for mundane expenses like beer and food and stuff; you're adventurers, after all, which is a lucrative career that more people would undertake if it wasn't so scary and deadly. So where you, as an adventurer, will actually spend real money is in shit like outfitting an expedition full of hirelings and pack mules and whatnot so you can trek to the dungeon and carry those fat stacks of gold back with you, and possibly the occasional high-level divination or resurrection spell. Then, later, you hit the point where you ascend to nobility or to importance in your church/community/etc and find new uses for all that gold in building and staffing your fortress. What you don't spend money on is magical armor or better swords, because the secrets of those things are lost to the ancients (eg, it's an incentive to get out there and quest instead of staying at home playing SimSerfdom) and because even a basic +1 blade is worth more than a small town's entire productive output for a year.

    But as soon as you include rules for crafting that kind of stuff, someone's gonna go "but wait I could just make all this money sitting at home making +1 swords" and that fucks up all the incentives. We had a guy who joined my 4e Eberron game because he liked Eberron, then quit a few weeks later because all he actually wanted to do was sit at home and making crafting rolls to brew potions to sell in a shop like he had done in his old 3.x game. People on places like RPGNet or ENWorld might be like "why couldn't you accommodate that guy's beautiful free spirit, Jacobkosh, you railroading monster" but the simple real-world fact is that he was not participating with the rest of the party and my time and attention was limited, 4e doesn't have rules for profitable crafting specifically to avoid those kind of perverse incentives and I was not interested in creating any, there are better and more rewarding ways to make pretend money in games, and it was fucking stupid.

    If you're going to bend the rules so much you might as well just have a whole separate game for roleplaying crafts and business

    :bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Denada wrote: »
    Basically any time I see like 8 posts or more waiting in the 5E thread I know a handful of people are arguing again and I should just skim for a bit until someone at Wizards posts something that I can make fun of.

    Pretty much every time someone mentions Paizo or 4E I just get ready to sit back for a page or three.

    You should change your avatar to a gif of Spongebob laughing, to get make this post perfect.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kE_mpGZFRv0

    I want to say I'm shocked this exists in the form it does

    but

    I'm not

  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »
    Eberron Police Cops

    when you say police cops

    do we police the cops

    or are we simply very dedicated towards regular law enforcement

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpCsOnJS0p4

    How the fuck did you know this is exactly what inspired me

    Also considering making this a pbp so it's more schedule-friendly with time zones and such.

  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    eberron is straight up discworld

    it does not need anything done to it because it is already perfect

  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    eberron is straight up discworld

    it does not need anything done to it because it is already perfect
    but ravnica is discworld....

  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    also skin diamond is super pretty

  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    also so you don't have to learn map tools?

    cause i'm going to be honest, i'm really bad at keeping track of pbps.

    really bad.

  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    eberron is straight up discworld

    it does not need anything done to it because it is already perfect
    but ravnica is discworld....

    in a grimdark way kinda

  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    I don't like the way that the new edition of Crafts & Business dropped support for combat. Previous editions were much more robust.

  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Melding wrote: »
    also so you don't have to learn map tools?

    cause i'm going to be honest, i'm really bad at keeping track of pbps.

    really bad.

    Pretty much. And with the bookmark feature and being able to tag forumers now I think keeping up with a pbp is pretty easy these days.

    Gatsby on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Denada wrote: »
    I don't like the way that the new edition of Crafts & Business dropped support for combat. Previous editions were much more robust.

    C&B4e is basically a Tycoon video game, ugh

  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »
    also so you don't have to learn map tools?

    cause i'm going to be honest, i'm really bad at keeping track of pbps.

    really bad.

    Pretty much. And with the bookmark feature and being able to tag forumers now I think keeping up with a pbp is pretty easy these days.

    well, i got about eight characters ready, so.

  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    eberron is straight up discworld

    it does not need anything done to it because it is already perfect
    but ravnica is discworld....

    in a grimdark way kinda

    grimdark my eye

  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    eberron is straight up discworld

    it does not need anything done to it because it is already perfect
    but ravnica is discworld....

    in a grimdark way kinda

    What

  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    eberron is straight up discworld

    it does not need anything done to it because it is already perfect
    but ravnica is discworld....

    in a grimdark way kinda

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r6fx_Yf60Y

    fixed that mistake you made.

  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    yesss the only douchey guy left my otherwise amazing D&D group

  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Did they kick you out or did you leave on your own?

    Either way, good luck finding another group.

  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    Gatsby wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    eberron is straight up discworld

    it does not need anything done to it because it is already perfect
    but ravnica is discworld....

    in a grimdark way kinda

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r6fx_Yf60Y

    fixed that mistake you made.

    I even said it out-loud in that exact tone when I made that post.

    Also because I think I can manage a pbp better than a team speak maptools game seeing as I'm a green-as-hell DM, who wants in on an Eberron campaign?

  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    that was Gorilla Suit's first time with DnD man.

    No way you more green that Big Rilla Cop Thilla

  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Yeah sure why not Eberron is p. cool.

  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Did they kick you out or did you leave on your own?

    Either way, good luck finding another group.

    godDAMN

  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »
    Also because I think I can manage a pbp better than a team speak maptools game seeing as I'm a green-as-hell DM, who wants in on an Eberron campaign?

    yes hello yes

    0BnD8l3.gif
This discussion has been closed.