Options

Dungeons and Dragons: The Thread of Vile Decades

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    of course i'd be interested

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Did they kick you out or did you leave on your own?

Either way, good luck finding another group.

i'm hiding your pillows tonight

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Finished the backstory to the FATE campaign Bride of Dynamo and I whipped up using the game's Game Creation guidelines. Sort of a sci-fi cross between The Untouchables, Cyberpunk, and Justified. Hopefully gonna make characters tonight. Spoilered for long:
    It all started when massive warp crystal deposits were discovered throughout the Starquarry sector (called that because prior to this, the entire sector was mostly considered useless rocky wasteland) in the year 865 YGC. This sparked a huge influx of migrant workers of all species and social ranks, known as the "Swarm of '66."

There was only one problem. Mining, processing, and shipping supplies were at a premium. Prior to the Swarm of '66, Warp Crystal was so rare that there wasn't really a wide-scale business to produce this type of gear. As such, demand VASTLY outstripped supply. The arrival of a new shipment of gear sparked huge bidding wars.

This sparked the start of what would be known as "The Wild Years." Shipments of supplies were regularly hijacked by bandits. Upstart companies would regularly hire men to kill their rivals. Mines being imploded with people inside, Mine owners turning to despots; it was anarchy.

And things would only get worse in response. As the influx of workers continued, security firms and protection rackets began to pop up. Crime begat organized crime. Gangs became Crime Families. And all the while, corporations (particularly the ones smart enough and rich enough to side with a Family early) grew into empires, then into Dynasties, knocking over the little guys one by one.

These would become known as "The Mob Years." What few companies survived did so by buying into a protection racket and hoping for the best. The rest were killed, sold their companies to the Dynasties, or just vanished.

It wasn't long until the gangs and Dynasties started targeting each other. Sabotage, murder, theft, and bootlegging came back, except this time, they were bigger and more dangerous than ever. Then they came to a head at the Great Celvasa Gunfight.

The Gunfight erupted when the Wrackley Gang, the sector's most violent outfit, attempted to take out Risix Bros'velle, head of Bros'velle Manufacturing (the oldest and richest of the Dynasties), at a birthday party. They didn't realize he had been employing the Robot Boys as security. The ensuing chaos quickly escalated into a war that engulfed the entire Celvasa colony. There were no survivors.

In the wake of this PR nightmare, the seven remaining Dynasties (facing protests, boycotts, and open revolt) came together and founded the Galactic Trade Commission, an independent organization charged with dismantling the Black Market and policing corporate interaction, to hopefully keep anything like Celvasa happening again.

The first generation of Commissioners were little more than a Crime Family themselves, made up of mostly reformed hitmen and mercenaries. Over the next several years, they violently dismantled the Black Market, forcing it into hiding one bloody body at a time. Finally, it seemed like someone in the Starquarry sector was capable of keeping people safe.

That is, until Commissioner Alpha (all commissioners use codenames to protect their identity) taught everyone how things really went. A former crystal researcher, she stumbled upon a conspiracy by the United Clone Consortium to begin replacing their competitor’s shipments with tainted Warp Crystals, so they could cast doubt on their enemies. She brought the issue public, and the UCC’s reputation, and soon their company was ruined.

She became a folk hero for her efforts… until she was fired from the GTC under mysterious circumstances, her private information was leaked to the public, and she was murdered by a vengeful crime syndicate.

This served as a painful reminder to the GTC that, no matter what they did, they’d always be under the thumb of the Dynasties, sparking what is known as the second generation of Commissioners. The philosophy of the GTC changed from “Do what you need to do to make things right” to “Do what you need to do, unless it means crossing a Dynasty.”

That is, until the PCs come along and shake things up.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i don't think i need to state my interested Gatsby, nor my availability to help with stuff.

I think it is assumed.

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Okay @Melding, @Huntera, @Dichotomy, and @Antimatter so far are interested. I think all we need is one more person and I can probably get this thing running within the next week or two, to allow time for character creation (yes I know Melding), but mostly so I can get cracking on some decent maps.

• Options
    i will of course be available to help anyone make a character, or tweak things for them. I have been working on less blunt about stuff! i swear.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Honestly

I'd like to play just given that player line up

so if there is a space...

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    alright Solar

you and me

we gotta fight for that last spot now

• Options
    Alright Solar, I gotta hear you out on 4E because I personally love the system and love the combative high-intensity action of it. While there'll be plenty of roleplaying this game is going to start off liberally using that as a hook, and I'm going to encourage variety in a fight.

• Options
    Fight to the death!

you know the rules.

12 inches of mud. bronze weapons only. suffocation and decapitations only.

• Options
    Melding wrote: »
    Fight to the death!

you know the rules.

12 inches of mud. bronze weapons only. suffocation and decapitations only.

let's fuckin' go

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    roll initiative joke??

is this how you play dnd

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    roll initiative joke??

is this how you play dnd

are you currently holding any kind of carbonated beverage?

• Options
    no, currently I am peeling the skin from the internal segments of a clementine and being horrified by the alien secrets within

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Fruit? at DnD?

Get. Out.

Only foods acceptable are colas, Mtn. Dew, cheetos, doritos, nachos, and if you're feeling festive, salsa.

• Options
    clementines are so tasty

• Options
    Well, I am already playing in plenty of online games in CF right now so if interrobang wants the space, then I'll bow out

if a slot comes up though, let me know!

• Options
    i know this might sound crazy, but the game is balanced up to 6 players with no modifications, and allows greater flexibility in the party.

• Options
    But that is up to Gatsby. I'm just saying words largely. I also want to start discussing what everyone wants to play.

• Options
    i know this might sound crazy, but the game is balanced up to 6 players with no modifications, and allows greater flexibility in the party.

Well then fuck it, everyone's invited. Tie game between interro and Solar.

So that means we have @Melding, @Huntera, @Dichotomy, @Antimatter, @interrobang, and @Solar. Let me do a write-up of the Eberron you'll be facing and from there on make your characters, or build upon those you have already.

• Options
    So what kind of classes do people want to go for, huh

playing a wizard last time hardly worked out for me (mostly because of dice admittedly) so I'd like to maybe go for a more melee orientated character this time

in terms of character I'll need to give it a think

• Options
    i actually didn't make any characters, i looked at the list i had from after i made the one for when this came up last year and never used and it was 9.

And you know what? probably won't use any of them either.

• Options
    Yeah, if people want to start making characters now go for it! I'll just be typing up the world you'll be inhabiting and will gladly allow character modification from there on until the game begins.

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    So what kind of classes do people want to go for, huh

playing a wizard last time hardly worked out for me (mostly because of dice admittedly) so I'd like to maybe go for a more melee orientated character this time

in terms of character I'll need to give it a think

I'm pretty much fine with anything. what kind of melee you thinking? I'm a bulwark of armour and hate, i'm a bastion of defence but i'm going to stab you or, sneak stab, or um, i don't know how to summarize two weapon ranger.

• Options
    i have noooooo idea what i want to play this time

anything but a Leader

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    I like making characters. I know a lot about 4E. I can help. I don't want to make up your fluff but if you tell me you want a swashbuckling pyrotechnic kobold I'll get that together for you.

I say this because I keep looking at recruiting threads in CF and completely blanking on characters and I really want to build something.

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    I'm most likely to make a Leader, though of the 19 (!) characters I have sitting around in the offline character creator the Halfling Storm Sorcerer stood out to me.

• Options
    i'm fine with doing leader if no one else wants to. it is typically the role i end up in. Not that i'm good at it, i'm just better at it then some of the other people i've played with.

"oh right, i can heal can't i?" has been said, too many times.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i've got a doppleganger built.

• Options
    Actually

some sort of nimble, deadly swashbuckler sounds cool

either that or an armoured super death machine

• Options
    dibs on Minotaur Monk

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    dibs on Minotaur Monk

That eliminates the Gnoll Monk I had sitting around...

• Options
    Actually it might be cool to be some sort of Aquaman/John Carter/Kull style hero

charismatic, swasbuckling, bare chest rippling with muscle! He's strong! He's handsome! He's a prince!

• Options
    Just as a heads up, I'll be making an OOC thread within the next five minutes so you can link character sheets and such there if you'd all prefer that over PMing them.

• Options
    Okay that's me then

what kind of class is that?

a fast, strong, charismatic hero type

Warlord? Fighter?

Some strange form of Paladin?

Don't really see him as very religious

• Options
    yeah, Fighter or Warlord imo

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    Okay that's me then

what kind of class is that?

a fast, strong, charismatic hero type

Warlord? Fighter?

Some strange form of Paladin?

Don't really see him as very religious

fighter could work, thief and rogue might be a better route.

depends on what you want him to rely on the most, being quick, strong, or charismatic.

• Options
    actually, yeah, warlord works too. i forgot about bravado warlords.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Denada wrote: »
    To be fair, the intended way is pretty lame too:
    You can practice your trade and make a decent living, earning about half your Profession check result in gold pieces per week of dedicated work. You know how to use the tools of your trade, how to perform the profession’s daily tasks, how to supervise helpers, and how to handle common problems.

So if he was using it "right" he could have spent a week to make 12 gold.

At level 14.

man, 12 gold is like, a lot of money, if you keep this up in a few weeks you can buy a horse! A horse!

What's that? you already ride a lesser aspect of the god of justice? well, cattle then.

In 4th ed, my brother wanted to be a brewer. He and I worked out how much he makes at that, what the names of his brews are, etc. God I'm glad there was nothing getting in the way of that.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
This discussion has been closed.