Options

Dungeons and Dragons: The Thread of Vile Decades

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    never sleep.

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    I should probably go to my local encounters session this week, shouldn't I? I have a couple of the essentials books, but that's it.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    Huntera wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »
    Stilts wrote: »
    Stilts wrote: »
    As I'm thinking about the backstory for my kobold monk, I'm slowly realizing that the concept is basically "what if Jackie Chan from Jackie Chan Adventures was a lizard."

I off hand started a deva warden thinking i might submit for your interest, and then remembered how boss giantkind gloves are.

just, so many places it would be useful. Eating an apple on the road and ambushed? huck that apple for 2d6+str damage.

Fuck yeah.

Hell yeah I love those gloves.

My Minotaur Warden got a pair.

Is a dude too far away to melee? That's okay, throw a chair at him.

you, just gave me an idea

"Why do you have seven shields?"

"You'll see"

proceed to combat where six of the shields get thrown at random enemies.
    @Gumpy

One of the only times I tried out D+D I went with a Dwarf Warrior and a singular Tower shield

and many dead Kobolds

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I should probably go to my local encounters session this week, shouldn't I? I have a couple of the essentials books, but that's it.

If you want to see the latest people to crawl forth from a cave and try out what is known as socializing then be my guess

I would go far more often but it's on a night I work

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    I used to go to encounters at my flgs. All the people were pretty nice and I generally had a good time. I actually miss it sometimes, even though I have a regular group now.

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    I think I'm gonna bother the CF people and try to get in on an online campaign again

P&P RPGs are fun yay

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    And they suck when people drop out

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    I'd never drop out on you cutie

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Encounters at my flgs was basically a cub scout den. Like, no joke. It was a bunch of 10-12 year olds, most of whose parents just dropped them off for a few hours.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Encounters at my flgs was basically a cub scout den. Like, no joke. It was a bunch of 10-12 year olds, most of whose parents just dropped them off for a few hours.

I never encountered that issue, but the one time I went to check out Encounters I walked back out the door immediately because the only guy we had ever actually kicked out of our gaming group was at the table.

Still, I would encourage anyone looking for a group to give it a shot, you may not find your perfect group there but it will at least get you started.

• Options

Heh, it got that way at our store too. Eventually we split it up into a kids/newbie game that ran the standard Encounters season, and then Lair Assault after that. Don't know if they still do that. Or anything, actually. I haven't been back in on a Wednesday night in a long time.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    @denada

your game is really fun to read

i am going to think hard about getting gamma world. it looks like exactly the kind of goofy thing i want to play

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    If you're thinking about getting Gamma World, I would get it now rather than later. I think all the 4e stuff is OOP and once retailers sell through their stuff it's just going to go up in price. I'm working on completing my 4e books.

• Options
    @denada

your game is really fun to read

i am going to think hard about getting gamma world. it looks like exactly the kind of goofy thing i want to play

Thanks! It's been fun and the players have been great. Gamma World is definitely a goofy setting, but that's part of why I love it. It's such a nice departure from carefully crafted characters playing in the grim seriousness of epic fantasy. Here you just take what you get, figure out some way to describe it, and go on some crazy adventures.

If you're thinking about buying it, buy it.

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    so

how do deities work in terms of different settings? as in, the deities of the PHB don't exist in eberron

but there are feats tied to worship of a particular deity
    I'm assuming that because 4e's standard is to be inclusive to everything the general rule is either A. reflavor the feat to be tied to a different deity that exists in the setting in question or B. have the player still tied to the original deity, but do it with the understanding that this is a minor or fringe religion that is barely known to most

but you never know

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options

That is the base game, yeah. There are two expansions but how necessary they are is up to you.
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    so

how do deities work in terms of different settings? as in, the deities of the PHB don't exist in eberron

I'm assuming that because 4e's standard is to be inclusive to everything the general rule is either A. reflavor the feat to be tied to a different deity that exists in the setting in question or B. have the player still tied to the original deity, but do it with the understanding that this is a minor or fringe religion that is barely known to most

but you never know

DM could probably let you re-flavor certain feats to similar deities in a setting, too.

• Options
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    so

but you never know

I would handle it either way, depending on what the player's vision for the character was. It's easy to just swap out the deity for a similar one from the setting if they're not set on that particular god, but it's also cool to introduce a fringe religion into the setting and then start thinking about how you can use that in the campaign for interesting hooks and plots.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    So, Shadar-Kai Avenger preaching Raven Queen is the light?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    @Stilts, got my first solid character concept here:

Vinsoont the Moonstruck, Star Pact Warlock:
    It was during the Age of Giants that it happened. A moon just vanished. Legends say it disappeared, or never existed, while some agree that it was destroyed. All that They remembers is being part of a whole, then suddenly being violently ripped apart. And then falling. They felt like he was falling for so long, passing by so much, never stopping or being able to stop. They can recall when they landed, the burning through the atmosphere, the sudden crystallisation from such heat and the sheer impact of when each and every piece of them hit the ground. It was a long time before anyone really noticed, and an even longer time until they felt the stirrings of each and every shard that comprised of them. When the first crystal bonded together with another, the Age of Monsters was coming to a close, and by the time anything resembling a hand formed, Galifar I was only just born into the world. Developing eyes was the hardest part, not using their entire body to feel, use, and experience all senses at once was a difficult concept to grasp. A body, and mind were developed eventually though, and it was then that they made a pact with the moon-filled night. Having a physical body was a curiosity, an odd feeling that was new and experimental, however deep down they yearned to return and stand tall amongst their twelve siblings, being the last until the Astral Sea.

It was then that they received their name: Vinsoont. A voice reached out and gave Vinsoont purpose, a task, an anchor. A leash. They serve what star-faring beings have apparently given them such form, hoping and wishing that one day they will discover the rest of their body and become whole once more, ascending back into the heavens. In the meantime, Vinsoont has made a name for themselves as both an oddity and skilled magic user. No one quite believes them when told they were once the missing moon, instead believing them to be a wayward House Cannith experiment forged during the final years of The Last War. This does not concern Vinsoont, nor does the minor status they've achieved by travelling all throughout Khorvaire, slowly building a reputation with the raw power they posses. It is not strength, or knowledge, or control that Vinsoont seeks, though. They just want to go home.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Not gonna lie, this is what helped inspire that character

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zLkDgLgecI

• Options
    Right now my story idea is that Zahi has made a name for himself as a hired sword out in the Lhazaar Principalities, mostly legitimate, and once he had some good savings he traveled to Sharn to look up a bard he met a while back at the Pirate Exchange. The bard now runs a publishing/performance company and ends up making sanitized and sensationalized accounts of Zahi's exploits into pulps and plays. And then there's the dwarf artificer who got the merchandising license for his likeness... do you know how many Zahi Ali night lights they've made?

I don't have much more of a specific back story settled on, partially because I'm not super familiar with Eberron as a setting...

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    fXDvoUt.jpg

KF1t4o2.jpg

Ab67bSL.jpg

jXP3382.jpg

Yeah

I'd play this all goddamn day

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    next character concept for @Stilts

Tuguop the Guide
    Bullywug Ranger (Hunter)
    On the coast of Xen'drik there once lived a tribe of outcast Bullywug. They were exiles from the interior tribes, and had to make due with a tiny swamp and a rocky coastline. It was a rough life, but the fortune of the tribe changed when a human ship drifted off course and crashed into the shore. The tribe helped out the sailors of the ship, and in return received goods and technology from Khorvaire, with the promise of future contact. Thus began the tribe's time of plenty. While only one or two ships a year would dare make the voyage, they were always laden with valuable cargo. The village welcomed all peaceful traders and explorers, going so far as to act as guides for the latter. Adventurers would also sometimes arrive, but they were generally mistrusted, due to their tendency to rile up rival tribes.

This was the society Tuguop was born into. From the moment she could walk and carry a bow, she would accompany her father whenever he acted as a guide. In the jungles, she learned how to hunt and survive. Tuguop had a happy childhood, and became a might guide in her own right when she reached adulthood.
    It all changed when her village was suddenly attacked by an alliance of rival Bullywug villages. Everyone was killed or kidnapped while she was away on a hunting sojourn. She pushed the dead out to sea, gathered her things, and swore revenge.

The next several years were a blur. One person could only do so much against hundreds. But she hunted anyway- the bloodprice could never be fully repaid.

During one of her raids, she discovered a group of sailors that had been captured by a raiding party. Their ship had landed to make repairs when they were ambushed and carried off. Tuguop had spent two years without friendly contact with a sentient being. Her fathers lessons came back to her- not about killing, but about helping others in need. She freed the sailors, and helped them back to their ship, where their captain and the rest of the crew were waiting.

As a reward, she was given passage away from Xen'drik, as well as a chest of gold to start her new life with. She thought about retiring from her life of danger, but she knew she could not give up the hunt. Tuguop swore never to let revenge dominate her spirit again, and set off to adventure on her own terms.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options

man, fuck the raven queen.

with a knife.

In the heart.

And not involving sexual intercourse at all.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    fXDvoUt.jpg

KF1t4o2.jpg

Ab67bSL.jpg

jXP3382.jpg

Yeah

This artist has done a ton of neat stuff in this vein; I once spent like three hours just scrolling through their Deviant Art.

• Options

with a knife.

In the heart.

I dunno what is going on here but I heard Shadar-Kai and I thought of the book of vile darkness movie and was all

yeah she was cool

so if you were talking about that

then deffo

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    fXDvoUt.jpg

KF1t4o2.jpg

Ab67bSL.jpg

jXP3382.jpg

Yeah

This artist has done a ton of neat stuff in this vein; I once spent like three hours just scrolling through their Deviant Art.

I love the Chambara Justice League he did as well

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    He apparently has a dedicated "Edopunk" tumblr:

http://edopunk.tumblr.com

• Options

with a knife.

In the heart.

I dunno what is going on here but I heard Shadar-Kai and I thought of the book of vile darkness movie and was all

yeah she was cool

so if you were talking about that

then deffo

best thing about her is the fact her tattoos change slightly from scene to scene.

• Options
    that is one of the many best things about her yes

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I sure do love fantasy

but my first reaction is to cringe when I hear the it in the same sentence as "movie"

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    ddsnails02.jpg

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Okay so I love that Avengers thought experiment but know dick all about Japan, so I started thinking of other possibilities, ones that fit in my historical field.

And I have some great and terrible ideas for a Marvel 1776.

• Options
    Also some revolutionary France ideas and those are pretty much the same time period so maybe they could cross over?

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    I thought they'd done that, but after a quick googling, no, that was 1602

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Red! The color of Iron Men!

• Options
    The French and Mutant War.

• Options
    I have, I should note, done this same thought experiment for Imperial Rome before.

• Options
    If you read that tumblr as well he really has a history for the new versions of the characters that ties into the originals but with a distinct japanese fantasy feel

which is really cool

This discussion has been closed.