Options

Dungeons and Dragons: The Thread of Vile Decades

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Millus Moralus was a young North African boy when he was captured and sold into slavery by Kravinus. As a slave, he was trained and groomed to be a gladiator, nicknamed The Spider for his amazing speed and superior agility. He received his freedom after he defeated the Sinister Sex, a group of elite left handed gladiators.

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    submitted for the approval of @Stilts
    my three characters
    Concept #1
    Quill, Shardmind Skald
    Theme: Something like this
    To hear Quill tell it, the intricately etched crystals that make up his broad-shouldered frame are animated purely through narrative power. Quill loves a good quest; he is devoted to the ideal of the story and its telling, with the only goals of his existence to achieve great feats of heroism and to place himself in the company of other noble heroes, so that he might hear of their exploits. To Quill, tales are not merely entertainment, but they hold a scintillating power of their own to inspire and strengthen the listener. When he sits down to regale audiences with tales of the creation of the world, or histories of Galifar, or even the story of how a halfling family outwitted a wandering band of bugbears- doing the big gruff bugbear voices, of course- he sees himself as making the world stronger. It is for this reason that Quill zealously pursues quests, and honor, and victories, no matter the risk, so that he might create his own songs and stories and share them with the world. What higher aspiration could there be than that?
    Kinda Like:
      - A Klingon - The Tick - Goku

Concept #2
    Gleam, Hengeyokai (Cat) Cleric
    Gleam is a creature whose own past is obscured to her. Oh, there are some things about which she can be certain: for one, she possesses shapeshifting abilities. She feels a strong tie to places rich in the essence of the Feywild. And she's much older than she looks or remembers. Gleam isn't exactly certain how long ago she "woke up" and taught herself to think and speak like everyone else, but the memories of her fully feline life before come to her in snippets here and there. She remembers elegant courts, the worst of urban decay, battlefields, devastation, the holds of ships, dangerous jungles, dark caverns, and horrible creatures, an incredible breadth of experiences that indicate a very long, very risky life during the full length of the Last War. Of course, virtually all of it might as well be lost to her. And compounding the mysteries of her life is the appearance of an entity in her dreams, which has offered Gleam a touch of divine power. This entity takes the form of a great silver disc, dwarfing the twelve moons of Eberron, which speaks a single word: Sehanine. Gleam has taken this power, combined with her natural stealthiness and fey abilities, and become something of a folk hero, a wandering cat-faced vigilante, driven by the need to never again have to see the death and loss she remembers witnessing in her forgotten life before.
    Kinda Like:
      - Spider-Man - A Khajiit - that time Thor got turned into a frog

Concept #3
    Brook, Watersoul Genasi Warlord
    Genasi are very rare in Eberron, and as with all things that come from the Elemental Chaos, they are unpredictable. So, given that unpredictability, it is not quite so surprising that one day a genasi child would be found on the bank of a forest stream by a good-hearted and generous Cyran farming couple and raised as their own. After all, you'd never expect it, and they are unpredictable. While Brook was raised by her human parents to respect peace and life, the call of the Last War could not be summarily ignored, and the genasi found herself in the armies of Cyre. She spent many years there, doing her best to uphold the ideals she was taught, and made a name for herself as a sergeant of integrity and compassion, both for her troops and for the enemy. She would never allow anyone under her command to engage in the depredations upon the innocent that so often occur in wartime, even after a Thrane raiding party burned the lands where she grew up and slew her parents early in her service. After the Mourning, Brook continues to fight, but no longer for Cyre. Now, Brook fights to protect life, as she was taught to long ago- and perhaps she indulges the dream that one day Cyre could be made strong again.
    Kinda Like:
      - Superman - Boromir - Captain America

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Oh man, and my vision of my character is just plain old mean Mr. Fencing Master.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Goddammit.

When Dubh and Tox came out of the gate with really strong ideas, I was hoping this would be easy.

But then Dich busts out his Hengeyokai, Gatsby shows up with a Shardmind made from fucking moon rocks and Melding makes a warden that throws shields.

And that's not even all the people who sent me stuff.

So now I have to actually make hard decisions.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    that match of mage wars lasted 3 hours.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    @Stilts just so you know I'm going to do some laundry and then I'll have a more complete write-up of my submission's bio. As far as mechanics, he's a Bladesinger, so a Controller with some slight Striker twists.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    @Stilts you should refuse to announce the winners until this thread fills up, and you start a new thread announcing who wins.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Oh man, and my vision of my character is just plain old mean Mr. Fencing Master.

Oh, that reminds me, I've been meaning to give you a few general character-creation tips.

Since it's one of the easiest options and also in the PHB, the examples I give will be tailored to an Artful Dodger Rogue.

1) Ability Scores
    We'll be using point buy, which is the default. The most common stat arrays look like {16, 16, 13, 11, 10, 8} and {18, 14, 11, 10, 10, 8}. While most classes want to max out their primary stat, it's not quite as crucial for Rogues since they tend to get combat advantage (a +2 to all attack rolls) a lot, so you can pretty safely take the first array if you want your secondary and tertiary stats to be a little more powerful.

Obviously, put your highest score in your primary attributed (DEX in this case), since that's what you use for attacking. Your secondary stat is whichever one effects the bonuses that many of your attacks will have. For the Artful Dodger, this is CHA (an example of a secondary-stat rider effect is the Sly Flourish at-will power, which adds your CHA modifier to your damage roll).

I usually choose my dump-stat next (the one that gets the 8). For an Artful Dodger, this is usually INT. Unlike previous editions, INT no longer controls your skill points, so Rogues don't actually need it for anything (especially since none of their class skills key off it).

The remaining three stats come down to personal taste. Though Dodgers won't be using STR for attacks or bonuses, it effects Athletics (which is a nice skill to keep reasonably high if you can) and grants access to a few feats the rogue might like to take. CON is always nice for melee strikers to have, since they will be taking quite a few hits regardless of how good the defender in your group is. And WIS gives its bonus to the Perception skill, which is arguably the most important skill in the game.

Also something to keep in mind when distributing the array: in 4E, each non-AC defense (Fortitude, Reflex and Will) is modified by the highest of the two abilities that it's paired with (STR and CON, DEX and INT, and WIS and CHA respectively). Since Artful Dodgers are going to have good Reflex and Will by default (DEX and CHA being their primary and secondary stats), you may decide it's a good idea to put the third-highest score in STR or CON, since that'll bump your Fort up a bit.

2) Power Selection
    There aren't a whole lot of truly bad powers, so you can't really screw up your build unless you're actively trying to. Still, there are some guidelines you can use to prioritize the powers that will be good for your build.

First, powers that include rider effects that use your secondary stat (like Positioning Strike or the previously-mentioned Sly Flourish) should almost always be considered. You pumped your CHA, so you might as well use it for something.

Second, not all powers target AC, even if you're a martial class. You'll frequently see powers that have you make your attack roll against Fort, Reflex or Will. It's usually a good idea to have a stable of attacks that target a variety of defenses; that way if you come up against a monster with really high AC, you can try hitting its Will. On average, AC and Fort are the highest defenses, followed by Reflex and Will.

Third, powers that have effects even if you miss the attack tend to be highly rated. Similarly, powers that have the "Reliable" keyword aren't expended if they miss, so they're at least worth considering.

3) Feats
    The first feat you should take is an expertise feat. This feat gives you a +1 to attack rolls (increasing to +2 at Paragon tier and +3 at Epic) when you attack with a weapon of the chosen weapon group. This lets you keep up with the defense curve of the monsters, plus the Essentials versions of the expertise feats give you nice situational bonuses (I think the light blade one--called Nimble Blade--gives you a +1 to damage rolls when you have combat advantage). Now, if I remember correctly, the PHB doesn't actually have these. So when you've decided what weapon you want to use, just let us know and we'll tell you the appropriate feat.

As for the others, just use whatever seems nice. There aren't nearly as many secretly bad feats in 4E as there are in 3.5, so if it looks good to you then it's probably worth taking.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »
    @Stilts you should refuse to announce the winners until this thread fills up, and you start a new thread announcing who wins.

I have a feeling I'll have chosen before the thread fills up (unless this thing moves much faster than I think it will).

Though I could just tell Denada so he can start working on story hooks and keep it a secret for a while.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    don't reveal it even until the game starts

everyone plays the first encounter, and all but two applicants are slain over the course of it

(they are not raised)

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »

everyone plays the first encounter, and all but two applicants are slain over the course of it

(they are not raised)

Gives the whole thing weight.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Oh wow, thanks for all those tips, Stilts.

• Options
    edited February 2013

(they are not raised)

If the other applicants like this idea, I'll have Denada go with it.

Oh wow, thanks for all those tips, Stilts.

No problem!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them in the thread or PM me.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    of course that wouldn't actually work because it's kinda unnecessarily mean to string people along and make them do up full characters and all that if they're not gonna be in for the long haul

but at the same time if you're doing a big-picture league of extraordinary gentlemen story and the first encounter is with the campaign's villain who completely outclasses the team and kills a bunch of them and souldrains them or something so they can't be raised? dang

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    of course that wouldn't actually work because it's kinda unnecessarily mean to string people along and make them do up full characters and all that if they're not gonna be in for the long haul

but at the same time if you're doing a big-picture league of extraordinary gentlemen story and the first encounter is with the campaign's villain who completely outclasses the team and kills a bunch of them and souldrains them or something so they can't be raised? dang

Yeah, that is my biggest concern with it.

Which is why I'd need every applicant to say, "Yeah, that sounds cool!"

Otherwise I wouldn't be comfortable doing it.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Kills them and then uses the bits in a giant frankenstein so no only can they not be raised, they come back super spiteful and want to kill the other party members for not dying.

I've pulled off playing a villain which was the returned form of a dead character, and it was fun fighting everyone else.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Actually, I'm gonna go ahead and say we probably shouldn't do that.

Because it wouldn't just be statting up the characters and fighting in one battle. There'd almost certainly be some roleplaying scenes at the start.

So even if everyone is a good sport about it, that's still a not-insignificant time investment just to be used for fodder.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Honestly, if you're genuinely tied between multiple concepts, I'd probably look at availabilities as a tie-breaker, depending on what the availability of the four of you is.

After that, I'd look at the character's role as a potential tie breaker, just because a well balanced party is A) easier on the DM, usually, and B) more fun in my personal experience with 4e.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    I barely won that 3 hour match of Mage Wars too.

It came down to claw with 4 health on the beastmaster and me with 2 on the warlock.

I only won because I was wearing the fear helmet and avoided all but one of his animal's attacks, and barely survived it.

Then I blasted him by exploding his last bit of armor and shooting a fireball at him.

Uriel on
  • Options
    Then again he had done enough damage over the course of the match that I had healed through a combination of vampire, death link, drain life, and my blood reaper that he WOULD have killed me twice over.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    I decided to discard the previous attempts and start new ones with an adjusted paradigm in mind.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    mage wars looks pretty cool.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Melding wrote: »
    mage wars looks pretty cool.

It really is!

I demoed it at the local convention and bought it right away.

It's a lot of fun, my only gripes are that if you have lots of healing the match can last a while, and that after you get so many cards on the table it's CAN get a little messy keeping track of what cards are attached to what creatures.

Uriel on
  • Options
    @Denada I've got two questions for you.

1) What's our starting allowance for gear?

2) I'd really like to use the ritual knife I found in my backstory as my ki focus. Would it be possible to fluff it so it can automatically and mysteriously swap its current enchantment whenever I get a more powerful focus? That way I can always use the ritual knife without changing how loot progression works. Obviously it wouldn't be able to swap enchantments with a focus that is still "mentally linked" (aka owned by someone).

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    i will be honest though, i am so petty that i looked at the arts on most of the mages and was like "eh" and then saw the expansion with the force mage or whatever and now mostly just want that.

• Options
    Yeah another thing is that the Art is mostly passable, some cards are better than others but some look kinda crappy.

• Options
    Re: #2, ritual of transfer enchantment lets you swap enchantments on items, as long as the new item is capable of bearing the enchantment, and since anything can be a ki focus, it is certainly mechanically viable to do it. Just can get pricey.

• Options
    Re: #2, ritual of transfer enchantment lets you swap enchantments on items, as long as the new item is capable of bearing the enchantment, and since anything can be a ki focus, it is certainly mechanically viable to do it. Just can get pricey.

i just now remembered that they had to put in a line for the magic rust monster that if you had an enchanted limb it didn't eat it, just the enchantment.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    So I have had a game idea rattling around in my head for awhile now, and I need ideas for enemies that would fit into a Tundra setting. Any ideas?

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2013

That reminds me that the way they did monk implements is really weird.

Like, you've got your typical weapon proficiencies. That's all normal and good.

But then you've got implement proficiencies, which is "ki focus + any weapon you can use."

And I'm like, wait, so why did you bother making a separate thing called a ki focus?

Because, like, if you look at the feats and equipment store, ki focuses have separate enchantments and qualities that only apply to them.

So everything can be a implement, but not everything is a ki focus.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    So I have had a game idea rattling around in my head for awhile now, and I need ideas for enemies that would fit into a Tundra setting. Any ideas?

Magnataurs.

SOTSmagnataur.JPG

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

That reminds me that the way they did monk implements is really weird.

Like, you've got your typical weapon proficiencies. That's all normal and good.

But then you've got implement proficiencies, which is "ki focus + any weapon you can use."

And I'm like, wait, so why did you bother making a separate thing called a ki focus?

Because, like, if you look at the feats and equipment store, ki focuses have separate enchantments and qualities that only apply to them.

So everything can be a implement, but not everything is a ki focus.

wizards is contractually obligated to fuck up monks regardless of edition is the reason

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Huntera wrote: »

Magnataurs.

SOTSmagnataur.JPG
    And added to the folder

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

white people

• Options
    Can I just say I fucking love Magnataurs? Probably my favorite creature Blizzard ever designed (besides Trolls, I really like how jungle trolls look in Warcraft, Forest and Frost trolls less so)

• Options
    @Tox What I'm saying is that the fluff for the knife would be way more restrictive than the transfer enchantment ritual. It would only swap enchantments with other ki focuses (which, despite what common sense might suggest, is its own, separate type of implement).

So, like, I wouldn't be able to swap a more powerful enchantment from a wand onto my ki focus. It would purely be a refluffed way of saying, "I buy this new ki focus and sell the old one."

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    I was trying to revise the Warforged Barbarian to be something more heroic and inspiring and in doing so realized I had essentially made The Iron Giant

whoops

• Options
    Pony wrote: »
    I was trying to revise the Warforged Barbarian to be something more heroic and inspiring and in doing so realized I had essentially made The Iron Giant

whoops

You say that as if it's a bad thing.

It's not.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited February 2013

Yeah, that is my biggest concern with it.

Which is why I'd need every applicant to say, "Yeah, that sounds cool!"

Otherwise I wouldn't be comfortable doing it.

Personally designing a character is a ton of fun just on its own

And once you've done the character you can always recycle something into some other game some day

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Pony wrote: »

whoops

You say that as if it's a bad thing.

It's not.

noted

This discussion has been closed.