Options

Dungeons and Dragons: The Thread of Vile Decades

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Tox What I'm saying is that the fluff for the knife would be way more restrictive than the transfer enchantment ritual. It would only swap enchantments with other ki focuses (which, despite what common sense might suggest, is its own, separate type of implement).

So, like, I wouldn't be able to swap a more powerful enchantment from a wand onto my ki focus. It would purely be a refluffed way of saying, "I buy this new ki focus and sell the old one."

Yeah, pretty much that. I mean, it's all the same. Hell, you can always go the route like they did with tattoos. When you get a tattoo as loot, it's inscribed on a stone, and you touch the stone to your skin and the magic tattoo transfers to your skin. Could do the same thing. You find a ki focus, meditate with it and your knife, and transfer the enchantment to your personal ki focus.

You have to spend a rest attuning yourself anyway, so it's all fluff past that.

And, apparently, the reason they did monks the way they did was so that they could use weapon enchantments, if they wanted to, since they didn't have a lot of ki focuses in the beginning.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Yeah that's fine.

For starting gear, just the standard: 1 level 12, 1 level 11, 1 level 10, and gold equal to 1 level 10.

I'll be using inherent bonuses, so don't worry about getting the best +X you can.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Denada wrote: »
    Yeah that's fine.

For starting gear, just the standard: 1 level 12, 1 level 11, 1 level 10, and gold equal to 1 level 10.

I'll be using inherent bonuses, so don't worry about getting the best +X you can.

So just to be sure I'm understanding this correctly we'll be using inherent bonuses and magic items?

EDIT: Tox's question below is better than mine.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Clarification: With inherent bonuses, do you have to choose whether to use the magic item (such as properties and powers), or the inherent? Or will the inherent bonuses simply overwrite the enhancement bonus on the item, effectively auto-upgrading it?

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    what i am currently working on:

warforged barbarian/warforged juggernaut
    pixie swarm druid
    revenant bard

• Options
    the revenant bard was completely inspired by this coming up on my music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66QcIlblI1U

playing a Grave Caller Bard

basically being an undead vigilante johnny cash

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I was whipping up a character that was inspired to become a hero after witnessing the death of a warforged vigilante at the hands of an evil warlock

but @Stilts has enough characters on his* hands

I still want to refer to you by female pronouns
    this is not a bad thing

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    this is not a bad thing

heeee

• Options
    I was whipping up a character that was inspired to become a hero after witnessing the death of a warforged vigilante at the hands of an evil warlock

but Stilts has enough characters on his* hands

this is not a bad thing

Send it to me anyway.

'Cuz I've got, like, at least three bards already.

I'm covered in bards.

I mean, I like bards, but seriously.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    team composed entirely of bards

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    too busy singing about how great they are to actually do things
    party of kanyes
    a game of watch the throne

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »
    too busy singing about how great they are to actually do things
    party of kanyes
    a game of watch the throne

Everyone's implement is shutter shades.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Clarification: With inherent bonuses, do you have to choose whether to use the magic item (such as properties and powers), or the inherent? Or will the inherent bonuses simply overwrite the enhancement bonus on the item, effectively auto-upgrading it?
    Should be the latter, since the usual intention behind inherent bonuses with magic items is so your ancestral sword of whatever stays relevant for as long as you want it to.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    stilts reacted positively to it, so I wanted to have my hengeyokai cleric specifically ready to go

this meant finding a portrait

I turned to GIS, but of all the female khajiit pictures I could find, I deemed only one acceptable, despite minor complications

it's just a shot of the head but technically that cat person is naked

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    That is not at all surprising.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Why, is she not wearing a hat

• Options
    Inherent Bonuses and Magic Items:

You get the highest bonus. So if your inherent bonus is +2 but your War Guitar is +3, you get +3. If your Double Triangle is +1 but your IB is +4, you get +4.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    What haven't you been getting a lot of, Stilts?

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options

not even wearing a smile

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options

furthermore

someone give me a character challenge

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    On a related note: I'm always fine with reflavoring as long as you're not changing mechanics. You can call your longsword whatever you want as long as it still has the same keywords and stats.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular

not even wearing a smile

Got nothing on but the radio.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    On a related note: I'm always fine with reflavoring as long as you're not changing mechanics. You can call your longsword whatever you want as long as it still has the same keywords and stats.

Oh good, because I fully intend to take Hurl Weapon on my barbarian, which will allow him to throw his unarmed strike. AKA throw rocks at shit.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

Oh good, because I fully intend to take Hurl Weapon on my barbarian, which will allow him to throw his unarmed strike. AKA throw his shit at rocks.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular

Oh good, because I fully intend to take Hurl Weapon on my barbarian, which will allow him to throw his unarmed strike. AKA throw his shit at rocs.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    stilts reacted positively to it, so I wanted to have my hengeyokai cleric specifically ready to go

this meant finding a portrait

I turned to GIS, but of all the female khajiit pictures I could find, I deemed only one acceptable, despite minor complications

it's just a shot of the head but technically that cat person is naked

Catits?

I aprove.

Then again, I generally approve of tits. Generally.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    @Stilts @Denada
    Concept #1
    Tomys Shon / "The Night Walker"
    Revenant Grave Caller Bard
    Theme: Something like this
    Tomys Shon is a folk singer from Karrnath, famous across Khorvaire, beloved by commoners and disliked intensly by the nobility in his native land. The tempermental musician guards his privacy carefully, and often refuses to give interviews to reporters from the Korranberg Chronicle.
    The reason for this is that Tomys Shon is just the latest persona of an immortal vigilante known as the Night Walker. Whoever he was in life has left the revenant years ago, although he vaguely remembers dying at the hands of murderous thieves. As one of the Grave Callers, a secret order of bardic vigilantes, the undead man in black seeks out injustice, preying on the cowardice and superstition of criminals.
    Kinda Like:
      - Johnny Cash - Batman - The Shadow

Concept #2
    Rusty
    Warforged Juggernaut Barbarian
    A few months after the Day of Mourning, a confused Warforged wandered into a rural village on the border of Breland. It had no memory of who it was, where it came from, who it served. Its mind was blank and childlike, and it was quickly befriended by some of the local children. The children named the construct Rusty, after the thick red-brown layer of what appeared to be rust that was all over its body plating. When the parents in the town discovered the "rust" was actually dried blood, they became even more apprehensive about the amnesiac Warforged and tried to convince it to leave. When a group of bandits later attacked the town, Rusty returned, in a violent rage, glowing with a strange inner red light. It slaughtered the bandits, and the mindless frenzy only abated when the villagers were safe.
    The children loved Rusty, and saw him as a protector, but the adults of the village didn't want the dangerous and unhinged Warforged anywhere near their homes or their children. It has since then taken to wandering Khorvaire, and along the way has adopted a stray dog as a pet.
    Kinda Like:
      - The Iron Giant - The Incredible Hulk - The Littlest Hobo

Concept #3
    Benjen Edderly Izzobing Whipsom Carrd
    Pixie Luminescent Swarm Druid
    Benjen adventures because he bloody well feels like it. The flippant, aggressive pixie took the worst possible lessons from his druidic training, and decided that "life is change, and change is renewal" meant raising as much chaos and revelry as possible. While ultimately good-natured and kind-hearted, the mischievious creature loves to start trouble and is afflicted by terminal wanderlust.
    Kinda Like:
      - Sid Vicious - Eddie Izzard - Plastic Man

Pony on
  • Options

furthermore

I've got plenty of Leaders to choose from.

We've got a guaranteed defender thanks to Caulk, but it couldn't hurt to have another, and I've only gotten two submissions (Tox and Melding).

I'm playing a Striker, Platypus is very likely playing a Striker, and I've got three Striker submissions; but feel free to send me a Striker anyway, 'cuz I fucking love Strikers.

And you've already made a Controller, so you can skip that one.

As for a challenge, I'd like to see you make either a Minotaur that's not a melee attacker or a Hamadryad that's not a ranged attacker.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    could do a minotaur warlord that does the ranged warlord thing

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Ha ha ha one the ideas I came up with for shits & giggles was a minotaur druid healer

• Options
    you can now opine on my terrible and derivative ideas

• Options
    Pony wrote: »
    [Rusty] has since then taken to wandering Khorvaire, and along the way has adopted a stray dog as a pet.

Shit, that is adorable.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    could do a minotaur warlord that does the ranged warlord thing

whoa I just realized

half-orc ranged warlord = 0OIinqC.png

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Pony wrote: »
    [Rusty] has since then taken to wandering Khorvaire, and along the way has adopted a stray dog as a pet.

Shit, that is adorable.

i totally took a pet dog via Themes

• Options

furthermore

I've got plenty of Leaders to choose from.

We've got a guaranteed defender thanks to Caulk, but it couldn't hurt to have another, and I've only gotten two submissions (Tox and Melding).

I'm playing a Striker, Platypus is very likely playing a Striker, and I've got three Striker submissions; but feel free to send me a Striker anyway, 'cuz I fucking love Strikers.

And you've already made a Controller, so you can skip that one.

As for a challenge, I'd like to see you make either a Minotaur that's not a melee attacker or a Hamadryad that's not a ranged attacker.

okay, strikers and maybe another defender

with a minotaur that's not a melee attacker

I GOT THIS

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    @Stilts here's a more expanded bio for my guy, finally. I flipped through my Eberron books at the laundromat, but I'd like to leave the details of his past exploits a little nebulous, to allow for maximum DM discretion/dickery should my character be participating.

Zahi Ali, Genasi Firesoul Bladesinger
    To hear him tell it, you'd have to pay a sizable appearance fee, but luckily, Zahi Ali's many exploits are widely available in a variety of mediums – affordable pulps, exciting dramatic theatrical productions, and a number of engaging and inspiring ballads.

According to these various sources, Zahi Ali served with distinction in the employ of one of House Deneith's mercenary companies before deciding that while rewarding, there was simply too much of the world to explore to continue under the command of anyone but his own whims. Since striking out on his own, he has been across the whole of Khorvaire and beyond – to the wild, untamed jungles of Xel'drik; the unpredictable and pirate-filled straits and islands of the Lhazaar Principalities; and even the suicidally-dangerous-to-visit Argonnessen. Shortly after the Treaty of Thronehold, Ali traveled to Sharn to get his exploits published and disseminated with the help of those (bards, publishers, merchandisers, craftsmen, etc.) who he came to know or know of while out “gallivanting as few ever had, putting the flame in flameboyant”, to borrow a line from the latest pulp novella.

While entertaining to many of the common folk and especially popular amongst children, serious adventurers have begun to scoff at Zahi Ali's claimed accomplishments. Indeed, it is unlikely that he has been everywhere or done everything that he (or his ghostwriters) purport to have done, but those who have suggested he is an outright fraud have found themselves facing a very capable bladesinger. Still, these persistent rumors have begun to tarnish Ali's reputation and sales of merchandise have started to fall. His publicist and agent have informed Ali that if he doesn't get back out there and get some more adventures under his belt soon, his moment of fame might soon be past – and that he should find some others to travel with to be able to corroborate whatever he claims happens.
    Yes, "flamboyant" is purposefully misspelled.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    I fuckin' loved the littlest hobo, when I was a child

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    I fuckin' loved the littlest hobo, when I was a child

Hey, Caulk, have you figured out a backstory for your dwarf battlemind yet?

I'm keeping a lot of factors in mind for choosing the winners, and how the characters' personalities and histories contrast with and complement the locked-in characters is one of them.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I PM'd this to Denada as an alternative suggestion for ability scores, but I figured I'd share it here, as well.

Elven Fighters
    Dwarven Bards
    Tiefling Swarm Druids (seriously, you're a red dude with horns and a tail, and you turn into a swarm of bugs!)

These are all neat sounding concepts, that can be extremely flavorful. Unfortunately, once you start statting up the sheet, you start to notice that you have a problem- your combat prowess isn't where you think it should be.

This is the problem with playing "off-stat" builds, where your race doesn't bump the ability scores your class uses. This can end up making the game less fun, because you either never hit, or never really get to feel like you're fighting some epic, high-level encounter, because you can't really take enemies more than a level above your own.

A very easy work-around I've found, is to drop the ability score point-buy and racial bonuses and use a standard, slightly buffed, array. Instead of the normal array, you use an array of 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 08, and that's it. No extra points, no bonuses from your race, just those 6 numbers to put into your ability scores. This allows you to be very effective at any class, with any race, and opens up the options of combinations.

The one caveat is humans. Humans still use standard rules, because otherwise the other benefits humans get starts to out-weigh the other races a little too much, and makes them a little too attractive of an option (the idea here is to encourage more exotic builds, anyway).

So if you find your players like to go with stuff that would make a Char-Op'er just go "wut" then this method is an easy way to make sure your players can get maximum enjoyment out of those builds. The only drawback to this system is that, if you do have people who tend toward optimization, it can open up some potential abuse issues, but if you feel the need to use this system, you probably don't have to worry too much about optimizers, anyway.

Tox on
This discussion has been closed.