Options

Dungeons and Dragons: The Thread of Vile Decades

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Ooooh, I wonder if I could use some of the starting monies to get some hirelings. A porter and a scribe, at least.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    I fuckin' loved the littlest hobo, when I was a child

Hey, Caulk, have you figured out a backstory for your dwarf battlemind yet?

I'm keeping a lot of factors in mind for choosing the winners, and how the characters' personalities and histories contrast with and complement the locked-in characters is one of them.

Something something distinguished service in the war, something personal philosophy: he is like like unto the mountain. About all I got, background wise. Haven't had a chance to finish him up in the character builder since heading to work last night.

I'll have it done up by tomorrow morning at the latest.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Dammit. Nice, well-written post gets all BotP'd.
    Tox wrote: »
    I PM'd this to Denada as an alternative suggestion for ability scores, but I figured I'd share it here, as well.

Elven Fighters
    Dwarven Bards
    Tiefling Swarm Druids (seriously, you're a red dude with horns and a tail, and you turn into a swarm of bugs!)

These are all neat sounding concepts, that can be extremely flavorful. Unfortunately, once you start statting up the sheet, you start to notice that you have a problem- your combat prowess isn't where you think it should be.

This is the problem with playing "off-stat" builds, where your race doesn't bump the ability scores your class uses. This can end up making the game less fun, because you either never hit, or never really get to feel like you're fighting some epic, high-level encounter, because you can't really take enemies more than a level above your own.

A very easy work-around I've found, is to drop the ability score point-buy and racial bonuses and use a standard, slightly buffed, array. Instead of the normal array, you use an array of 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 08, and that's it. No extra points, no bonuses from your race, just those 6 numbers to put into your ability scores. This allows you to be very effective at any class, with any race, and opens up the options of combinations.

The one caveat is humans. Humans still use standard rules, because otherwise the other benefits humans get starts to out-weigh the other races a little too much, and makes them a little too attractive of an option (the idea here is to encourage more exotic builds, anyway).

So if you find your players like to go with stuff that would make a Char-Op'er just go "wut" then this method is an easy way to make sure your players can get maximum enjoyment out of those builds. The only drawback to this system is that, if you do have people who tend toward optimization, it can open up some potential abuse issues, but if you feel the need to use this system, you probably don't have to worry too much about optimizers, anyway.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    To break for a minute from the recruiting discussion, I wanted to share something with all of you because it makes me very happy.

So my daughters, 4 and 2, like to play "the dragon game" with me, which is one of the D&D board games. At first it was just moving pieces around and learning to read the numbers on the d20, but I've started introducing little stories and some roleplaying too. Here are some fun bits from tonight's adventure:

Me: "Okay Adelaide, we're outside of the dragon's castle, but the guards won't let us in. What do you think you should say?"
    Adelaide: "Goodbye!"
    Me: "You're leaving?"
    Adelaide: "No, that's the password. I have to say that so they'll let us in."
    Me: "That's right! The guards say 'You said the pass-"
    Adelaide: "-no daddy, I haven't said it yet." *puffs up her chest* "GOODBYE!"

-later-

Me: "The mean lizard monster wants to fight you! What are you going to do, Isabelle?"
    Isabelle: "GET OUT OF THIS CASTLE!"
    Me: "Are you trying to scare the monster?"
    Isabelle: "Yeah!"
    Me: "Okay, you're a big fighter, but the monster is big too. Roll to see if you're scary enough."
    (The single mechanic we use is to roll the d20. The PCs get to add their level (1) to the roll. Whoever rolls highest wins.)
    Me: "You scared the monster! It howls and runs out of the castle."

-later-

Me: "Adelaide, this dragon breathes fire. What kind of magic do you want the wizard to use?"
    Adelaide: *think about it for a minute* "Lightning!"

-later-

Me: "Yay! We beat the dragon, and the friendly bear helped us find the dragon's treasure. What do you think is in there?"
    Adelaide: "Dragons like fire, so fire is in there."
    Me: "What kind of fire?"
    Adelaide: *with a sense of wonder in her voice* "Magic fire."

I'm a very proud dad.

Denada on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    magic fire

wise choice

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    playing D&D with young kids is a delight

i have really fond memories of playing D&D with my dad and my uncle as a child

and running demo games at a gaming shop for like, 10-12 year olds

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Hey @Stilts, I did it

Lt. Waera "Lodebolt"
    Crossbow using Minotaur Rogue
    It is fortunate that Waera was born a minotaur. Her height was seen as a liability by the local thief gangs, and her narrow stature (for a minotaur) made her an undesirable choice for more brute force criminal elements. While she was a teenager, she was adopted by a retired veteran warforged who right to work instilling a sense of right and wrong in the young minotauress. His tutelage set her on the path to join a respectable unit of the city guard that operated in the lower reaches of Sharn.

Her unusual predilection for sniping and subterfuge made her an invaluable and well-known member of the guard. Waera was soon promoted to officer, and was offered the chance to join an elite unit of the guard specializing in "crisis management." On her first mission, something went horribly wrong during the raid- the target gang had been forewarned and they had set up an explosive trap in their hideout. As the unit sniper, she was watching the front of the building while the rest went in.

Command told her to take some time off to recover from the tragedy, and wait for reassignment. Lt. Waera could not shake the guilt, or the sneaking suspicion that something was wrong. She began her own personal investigation into the matter, which eventually led her to a particular nobleman with his hands deep within the drug trade. It was his warehouse that had exploded, and it was his gang that rigged the trap. When command was presented with the evidence, they advised Waera to forget the information, less she become the target of another explosion.

Not willing to take a no, she raided the corrupt noble's villa with the aid of her father- barely managing to catch the criminal lord alive after a bloody shootout throughout the estate. The guard had the place surrounded when Waera walked out with her father, dragging the noble behind her. Before they could make an arrest, a city council member intervened and offered her his appreciation, and a council commendation. Waera was awarded a medal for going above the call of duty, and was offered an honorable discharge from the guard.

She accepted the offer, and prepared herself for the next stage of her career. Lower city criminals did not offer the grandeur she was looking for in life.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    for a summer i was running demo games of D&D for a local gaming store, and they were paying me in food and gift cards

since the kids usually turned around and would drop like a hundo on books or whatever

one time i was DMing for a party of five like, 11 and 12 year olds

and they got to what was very obviously the room before a big boss fight

like these kids grew up on video game RPGs, they know dungeon pacing, they know a boss fight room when they see one

one kid goes "Hey, can we save here before we go in?"

and i was stunned. it was not a question i ever expected to be asked! I awkwardly explained that no, you can't save, there is no saving, there is no going back

"but what happens if we die?"

then your characters die, and you make new ones, because you're far too low a level to have access to magic to raise you from the dead

they were like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br2_22e2RoU

• Options
    my father used to run little AD&D games for my siblings and I

I remember two things
    1. I would always whine and complain until I got the gauntlets of ogre power because yes super strength
    2. an encounter with some big scary dragon things where the answer was not violence but to talk to them and offer peace

useful morals I think

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    especially about how awesome super strength is

• Options
    I don't have it in me to actually go and look up the stats on a pair of AD&D gauntlets of ogre power

they are possessed of all the strength of childhood belief and that is that

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    it was strength enough, is all that matters.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Ogre Power gauntlets gave you 18/00 strength, didn't they? At least they did in Baldur's Gate.

• Options
    nooooo now the spell is broken

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I never got to play D&D as a kid so now I go around ruining people's childhood memories

• Options
    well, 18/00 is the highest you can get before unearthed arcana came out.

• Options
    actually the effect still holds because I have no idea what the /00 means

maybe it was a way of representing 18/∞ in a limited typeface??

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Yeah I remember one time Adelaide's response (in character) to a monster hitting her character was "I don't like that. Please stop."

There was nothing I could do but say (in character) "I'm sorry. I'll leave you alone now."

That giant snake felt really bad about what it did.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    actually the effect still holds because I have no idea what the /00 means

maybe it was a way of representing 18/∞ in a limited typeface??

Just go with that.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    when you roll an 18 for your strength, you roll a d100. there is different tiers based on the percentage you rolled.

Chevalier used a similar idea for improving statistics, every level you rolled a d10, and add it to the number after the slash, so you could get like 16/45 and when that reached 00 it bumped up to the next level.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    Hey @Stilts, I did it

Lt. Waera "Lodebolt"
    Crossbow using Minotaur Rogue
    It is fortunate that Waera was born a minotaur. Her height was seen as a liability by the local thief gangs, and her narrow stature (for a minotaur) made her an undesirable choice for more brute force criminal elements. While she was a teenager, she was adopted by a retired veteran warforged who right to work instilling a sense of right and wrong in the young minotauress. His tutelage set her on the path to join a respectable unit of the city guard that operated in the lower reaches of Sharn.

Her unusual predilection for sniping and subterfuge made her an invaluable and well-known member of the guard. Waera was soon promoted to officer, and was offered the chance to join an elite unit of the guard specializing in "crisis management." On her first mission, something went horribly wrong during the raid- the target gang had been forewarned and they had set up an explosive trap in their hideout. As the unit sniper, she was watching the front of the building while the rest went in.

Command told her to take some time off to recover from the tragedy, and wait for reassignment. Lt. Waera could not shake the guilt, or the sneaking suspicion that something was wrong. She began her own personal investigation into the matter, which eventually led her to a particular nobleman with his hands deep within the drug trade. It was his warehouse that had exploded, and it was his gang that rigged the trap. When command was presented with the evidence, they advised Waera to forget the information, less she become the target of another explosion.

Not willing to take a no, she raided the corrupt noble's villa with the aid of her father- barely managing to catch the criminal lord alive after a bloody shootout throughout the estate. The guard had the place surrounded when Waera walked out with her father, dragging the noble behind her. Before they could make an arrest, a city council member intervened and offered her his appreciation, and a council commendation. Waera was awarded a medal for going above the call of duty, and was offered an honorable discharge from the guard.

She accepted the offer, and prepared herself for the next stage of her career. Lower city criminals did not offer the grandeur she was looking for in life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjQtzV9IZ0Q
    Seriously, that's pretty great.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Denada wrote: »
    Yeah I remember one time Adelaide's response (in character) to a monster hitting her character was "I don't like that. Please stop."

There was nothing I could do but say (in character) "I'm sorry. I'll leave you alone now."

That giant snake felt really bad about what it did.

Damn, that's some Diplomacy bonus she gets against you.

• Options
    Well when you tell your kids to use their words and then they use their words, that's pretty much a natural 20.

• Options
    Also, unless someone has a character they're still working on and really want to get in, I'm gonna cut off submissions now.

I've got plenty.

I've already narrowed it down to my top 5 choices, so now I begin the arduous process of figuring out which three to cut.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    i suggest: public knife fights.

• Options
    Melding wrote: »

For a brief moment, I thought that said pubic knife fights.

Some very weird imagery passed through my head.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »

For a brief moment, I thought that said pubic knife fights.

Some very weird imagery passed through my head.

i'd be down for either.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    oh, hey, that reminds me of a NWN adult module

in one scene, your female character can masturbate using the pommel of a dagger

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    No those are called swordfights.

Never bring a knife to a sword fight.

ifuknowutimean

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular

Hurf my brains.

• Options

now would that be an off-hand weapon

rimshot

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    No those are called swordfights.

Never bring a knife to a sword fight.

ifuknowutimean

What about a hammer?

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    I just want a game where I can wield a Sword in one hand and a Gun in the Other.

• Options
    you're pretty much doing it in that scene to make another character want to fuck you
    which you then can blow off and walk away

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    the only NWN module I remember was Penultima.

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    I just want a game where I can wield a Sword in one hand and a Gun in the Other.

You could reflavor a hexblade to do it. You get one weapon melee power, and another implement ranged power.

Just reflavor your wand as a gun and you're good to go.

• Options
    Or...just be an artificer, actually. You can use handcrossbows as implements, with a feat. So that's basically gun and sword.

• Options

I think I remember seeing 4e rogues getting a feature or something to wield a weapon in one hand and a hand crossbow in the off-hand with free action reloads and such?

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Shit now I want to roll an artificer that uses a handcrossbow and a sword.

• Options

You could reflavor a hexblade to do it. You get one weapon melee power, and another implement ranged power.

Just reflavor your wand as a gun and you're good to go.

And coincidentally, "Hexblade" does sound like the name of a Liefeld character.

IKknkhU.gif
This discussion has been closed.