Options

Dungeons and Dragons: The Thread of Vile Decades

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    I just want a game where I can wield a Sword in one hand and a Gun in the Other.

I think I remember seeing 4e rogues getting a feature or something to wield a weapon in one hand and a hand crossbow in the off-hand with free action reloads and such?

yeah, it's part of the paragon path my minotaur would take

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    what is so liefeldish about guns plus swords?

What if it's just like

A Pirate.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    so i actually started statting up those characters i posted and oh my god a pixie swarm druid is horrifying

it's not optimal in terms of stat bonuses but the whole "you can occupy someone else's square" business when combined with being a swarm druid is non-stop screaming

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

What if it's just like

A Pirate.

Then you play a star pact hexblade.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    so i actually started statting up those characters i posted and oh my god a pixie swarm druid is horrifying

it's not optimal in terms of stat bonuses but the whole "you can occupy someone else's square" business when combined with being a swarm druid is non-stop screaming

I only just now thought of the implications of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1GadTfGFvU

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Tox wrote: »

What if it's just like

A Pirate.

Star packs?

What comes in a star packs?

is that like a snack pack.

Uriel on
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »

I only just now thought of the implications of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1GadTfGFvU

yeah basically

like one of the druid powers is you literally turn into a stinging swarm of bees

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular

What if it's just like

A Pirate.

Star packs?

star pact is probably the only warlock pact that isn't goofy as fuck

• Options

What if it's just like

A Pirate.

Star packs?

You sell your soul to the Old Gods.

They give you insanity-powers.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    I just want a game where I can wield a Sword in one hand and a Gun in the Other.

You could reflavor a hexblade to do it. You get one weapon melee power, and another implement ranged power.

Just reflavor your wand as a gun and you're good to go.

And coincidentally, "Hexblade" does sound like the name of a Liefeld character.

Spend all your money on belts and pouches.

• Options
    (I haven't played 4E in a long time, or even cracked on of the books open)

• Options
    Denada wrote: »

You could reflavor a hexblade to do it. You get one weapon melee power, and another implement ranged power.

Just reflavor your wand as a gun and you're good to go.

And coincidentally, "Hexblade" does sound like the name of a Liefeld character.

Spend all your money on belts and pouches.

You only move 3 squares a turn because you HAVE NO FEET.

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    suffer a -1 penalty to dexterity-related checks for having arms that are different sizes

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    a while back i made a dude for D&D encounters who was a star pact warlock/paladin hybrid and jesus christ he was basically a M1 Abrams

his concept was that he was the chosen servant of some horrible Far Realm entity

like a knight of azathoth

• Options
    If I ever made a Warlock, I would absolutely choose Star Pact.

It is pretty sweet.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    There's a theme called Misshapen, so I guess that would be the template for a Liefeld character.

• Options
    I don't understand why you would choose a pact that wasn't star pact

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Dubh wrote: »
    Dichotomy wrote: »

I think I remember seeing 4e rogues getting a feature or something to wield a weapon in one hand and a hand crossbow in the off-hand with free action reloads and such?

yeah, it's part of the paragon path my minotaur would take

Two-Fisted Shooter is the name of the feat.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular

WWpIIHJ.png

• Options
    also this is basically the best way to run a star pact warlock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6leisjxacQ

• Options
    themes are pretty crazy to me

they were not a part of 4e at all the last time i played and were completely new to me

so the idea that you could have an animal companion or be a fucking werewolf just as something you tack on top of race and class is like

whoa

• Options
    Themes kick so much ass.

• Options
    themes are pretty crazy to me

they were not a part of 4e at all the last time i played and were completely new to me

so the idea that you could have an animal companion or be a fucking werewolf just as something you tack on top of race and class is like

whoa

When they were first introduced in Dark Sun, they were a cool idea but--for the most part--fairly unremarkable.

I sort of didn't pay attention to 4E for a little over a year, and now there's a whole bunch of themes that are actually pretty great.

I seriously love these things.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    They really added a lot of awesome things to 4e right before killing support for it. Pretty sure if they had been given the choice they would have kept going with the cool stuff they were doing for a few more years instead of Next.

• Options
    I'm not a huge fan of the way they made Essentials classes but hey, I understood the need for them.

I just wish the Blackguard was actually customizable or

good at stuff

because the idea of playing a Blackguard is rad

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    They really added a lot of awesome things to 4e right before killing support for it. Pretty sure if they had been given the choice they would have kept going with the cool stuff they were doing for a few more years instead of Next.

depends on who "they" is. Mearls seems pretty gun-ho about Next.

And they do still offer support. There's new class, race, and theme articles coming out all the time. Just not nearly as many as before.

Honestly, I genuinely feel like the edition had another two-four years in it, especially if they'd done a full on re-release a la 2nd edition.

But, ah well.

• Options
    I'm not a huge fan of the way they made Essentials classes but hey, I understood the need for them.

good at stuff

Wait, what? How is the blackguard not good at stuff?

Just because it's a striker instead of a defender? Because it doesn't look exactly like an evil paladin?

• Options

good at stuff

I am absolutely smitten with the blackguard

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Yeah blackguards kick ass.

• Options
    back when I played that one 3.whatever campaign I came across the blackguard prestige class

and man, that idea is cool as hell! a bad paladin! it immediately appealed to my teenage nature
    and then it turned out it was an extremely limp patch job that you could only achieve through failure and the execution was just terrible

then 4e comes along and blackguards are their own class that is a bad paladin and also cool as hell and also not necessarily evil, straight-up Cecilesque

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Surprisingly, devianart is very good for finding enemy ideas

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    TallaclasseeTallaclassee you ever seen a lion limber up before it takes down a gazelleRegistered User regular
    @denada those stories with your kids have honestly rekindled my childhood interest in role playing.

• Options
    Blackguards do suffer from the early Essentials flaw of "not much customization to this character's progression".

Whereas later Essentials classes like the Bladesinger or the Skald Bard are simpler than the "standard" 4e classes but still allow for the player to select from the large range of pre-existing powers for the classes.

• Options
    i dunno i was looking at a blackguard dude i built in character builder and he looked pretty underwhelming, mechanically

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i dunno i was looking at a blackguard dude i built in character builder and he looked pretty underwhelming, mechanically
    dich is kicking ass as Emmahk, Dragonborn Blackguard, in Gatsby's Sharn City Watch campaign

• Options
    They do suffer from lack of options. Mostly because they only have two vices to choose from. They could use a Class Acts article for another vice or two. But they're very solid. And if you build right, you can make them high-Charisma killers.

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    @denada those stories with your kids have honestly rekindled my childhood interest in role playing.

That makes me very happy.

• Options
    i think it might just be how like

you don't pick most of your powers with Essentials classes and their mechanics are kinda simplified

it feels off to me

like a step backwards

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    i've never actually made an Essentials class but isn't the Slayer supposed to be a destroyer of worlds

• Options
    i think it might just be how like

you don't pick most of your powers with Essentials classes and their mechanics are kinda simplified

it feels off to me

like a step backwards

That's because it is a step backwards.

Think of oooold D&D. You had Basic, and then you had Advanced. You could take characters back and forth between the two, but the two were fairly different, and it showed in several ways.

Now with 4th edition, you've got D&D, and you've got Essentials. And it's backwards. You can still cross them over between the two, but there's stuff that essentials classes just aren't going to have, and there's stuff that regular 4e classes are going to have that's going to feel out of place, too.

This discussion has been closed.