As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Adult Keychain?

MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNARochester, MNRegistered User regular
In the past six months since I finished graduate school I've been on a quest of upgrading my wardrobe, style, and financial stuff to a more 'adult / mature' level. Got rid of the old Velcro wallet for something cleaner in leather. A new credit card with points and a better percentage rate. New clothes that are not ripped jeans or video game t-shirts. Stuff like that.

Currently my key chain is a bright red glow in the dark Captain Morgan lanyard that I won in a drinking competition sponsored by Captain Morgan at my old college bar. The competition was staffed and organized by the 'Captain Morganettes' so you know it was official.

I'm looking now to update my key chain to something a little more "less stupid looking" and was wondering if anyone had any keychains they absolutely adore or provide some kind of utility you wouldn't see anywhere else?

I am in the business of saving lives.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I have this bad boy:

7vwwW4t2jFo4a8suWup8OQDbOsTQ3DXZZdhrQisCHqUD5zy6LalhSLz4j1cNqmLxux-KVfxvyDb7swxh0KqmrUowflca37oX6iHOi1-Kfkf7ytsjbHDKT-gdNXGhPAqf0Pd_150qK2h4vt_wPHjE60UxjtlGeQbTCXCo4AIFQvuMUOUG8FY-4ZZ4--zz

Which being a single piece of unpainted metal, I like to think straddles the line between geeky and stylish.

As for extra utility, erm, if I ever find myself lost in the wilderness or in need of scaring a herd of animals it makes a pretty damn loud noise if you use a key to hit it like cymbal!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    http://www.amazon.com/Como-Portable-Aluminum-Carabiner-Keychain/dp/B007SUTCNG/

I use one of those. Just loop key rings through it. I am in no way stylish or creative, so if you're looking for like a multitool, try something like this:
    http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=15516976

I opted to take my multitool off because of the impracticality of going through security checks with it, and the guards wanting to hold onto your keys because you're going to stab someone with the flathead screwdriver.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    My keychain is a bottle opener. Never know when you're going to get to a party and everyone's too good for twist offs.

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    I also just use a carabiner as a keychain. It's lightweight and you can use it to clip your keys to a bag or belt loop if your pockets are unavailable or impractical.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    http://www.everydaycommentary.com/2011/03/keychain-part-i.html

http://www.everydaycommentary.com/2011/11/keychain-evolution.html

Here's some thoughts on keychains from a guy who spends a lot of time thinking about what he puts in his pockets.

Personally I use one of these:

xbymWEw.png

locking triangle biner, has a flashlight, keys, multitool and usb drive on it

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I used to have one that screwed in like that but the threads stripped after like a month. It's possible mine was just really cheap though. I do like larger ones that you can put a simple keyring on though.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Elin wrote: »
    I also just use a carabiner as a keychain. It's lightweight and you can use it to clip your keys to a bag or belt loop if your pockets are unavailable or impractical.

Or if you want to look ridiculous.... I kid :P

I've got a Toyota symbol and a silver bottle opener that just looks like a small piece of metal. I really like that shield keychain above, but I just don't have room for anything on my keys. I don't even have room for keys.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
  • Options
    PantshandshakePantshandshake Registered User regular
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ef71/?srp=20
    Different enough than a usual key thing with a light.
    Then again, my key chain is just the keys on the ring. So maybe I'm not good at this.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    I use a D-shaped carabiner and i hook it to my front belt loop.
    Pro: Easy to reach. Con: Can hear me coming for miles.
    Pro: Sounds like christmas all the time! Con: I look like a janitor.

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    I use some braided airplane cable for the ring:
    http://countycomm.com/ring.html

I also use one of these to keep all the stupid shopping tags (keyring cards) off my loop unless its a shopping day:
    http://countycomm.com/swisskey.html

Be warned though one does not simply visit countycomm and buy one thing, because pocket grappling hooks.

• Options
    Raif SeveranceRaif Severance Registered User regular
    I too am a carabiner user. I tend to clip mine to my back belt loop and stick the keys in my back pocket. This prevents the "jingle bell/janitor effect". This may not work if you have a poop-ton of keys though. I only have a fob, house, and mail key on mine.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have a big girly key ring from Brighton, but it looks like they sell mens versions too:
    http://www.brighton.com/product/wallets-more/36956-25681-25726/-sante-fe-channel-valet-key-fob.html

http://www.brighton.com/product/wallets-more/36956-25663-25708/-salina-key-fob.html

Brighton is a purses/handbags/wallets place that caters to upper middle class ladies. They make good stuff, and leather/silver will have a nice weight and stay nice. I have a wallet and a key ring from them that have held up for 6ish years. Not the cheapest solution, though, at 22 bucks.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    I have one of these
    http://www.gerbergear.com/Essentials/Tools/Shard-Keychain-Tool_31-000400

It's pretty nice. Small, unobtrusive in your pocket and it has a hole to hang it off of

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I like my Leatherman Micra, but gennerally just cary keys on two loops with my car fob.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Hmm, perusing this thread has lead me to Youtube, and "prepper" types videos discussing their EDC (every day carry).

Some of these people must have legs like tree trunks if they carry all this crap around all day every day. What on earth do you need four different knives for? And a $500 flashlight?!?

That said, up until Christmas 2011 I never had anything on my keyring besides keys, until one of my little sisters gave me a beaded keyfob she made while trekking around the rainforests of Borneo for a month on a school trip for charity.

I think I am going to replace the split-ring I have currently with one of these that iRevert linked.

• Options
    I don't carry anything but keys and a small multitool on my carabiner. I keep a flashlight and set of tools in my car, not on my keychain. Definitely keeps it less bulky. And the only places I'm going to need a flashlight are in a broken down car and my house, those LED lights you get on these shits are worthless for any other situation besides "Where is the keyhole on my door, oh I can kinda make it out now."

Trust me, when you hit a deer in the middle of the night and your engine/battery go kaput, you are going to be fucking scared out of your mind, get a proper flashlight. Cell phones have good ones, but don't use them for a flashlight, you need it for a phone.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    Both my girlfriend and I use carabiners; mine's more of a nautilus shell design, hers is more standard. She tends to clip hers to her purse and tuck it into an outside pocket, and I just put mine in my pocket (I use a small carabiner). At home, we both hook them to a metal-frame shelf, which makes it super convenient. In the summer time, when it's hot and I don't have a jacket, I just clip mine to a hip beltloop.

In my experience, most adult men have pretty minimal keychains, and don't have a lot of extra stuff on them. For me, when I was younger, I had a big keychain to emphasize the fact that I had things that required keys. Now that I'm older, I am sick of carrying keys and want them to be small and out of the way, but I also don't want to lose them.

I will also echo Bowen's example that you should consider how you actually use your tools/gadgets, rather than just always carry shit around. Are you regularly moving data from one point to another? Then putting a flash drive on your keychain makes sense. Are you only doing it at work? Then keep it at work or in your work bag. I just took my car key off my keychain because I no longer drive to work, and my girlfriend and I now share the car for the few things we drive for. As in, I JUST took it off this morning. Now my keychain is lighter and smaller, and I wonder what took me so long.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    yea, my keychain thing is really so i can find it in my pocket easier. the screwdriver bits have come in handy though. i keep my work keys separate from my car keys anyway, so i don't carry both at teh same time

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    I got rid of my flash drive on my keychain and opted for dropbox/googledrive.

Much better. Plus I don't run the risk of dropping my dropbox (hur hur) into a puddle of water and lose all my data.

• Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    I have one of these and I love it.

PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    I just have that little metal circle that you get with keys.. My car keys and USB drive don't need an extra thing hanging off it.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    i have this thing called a lighter leash, it clips to your belt and you can hang your keys and a lighter off it. it's pretty convenient if you need to grab them often.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I don't understand how you people carry around so much stuff. I don't even have a wallet - I moved to a money clip years ago and never looked back. For keys, I have different "sets" and just take the ones I need for the given day. Mostly I rotate between just needing only my house key or grabbing the car + house key combo.

I would echo the sentiment that you should evaluate what you do on a daily/weekly basis and figure out what it is you actually need to carry. People will stuff their wallets full of gift cards and coupons, and then end up never using them. Similarly, for key chains, there's no need to use a carabiner or carry around a multi-tool if you don't actually need them on a regular basis.

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I don't understand how you people carry around so much stuff. I don't even have a wallet - I moved to a money clip years ago and never looked back. For keys, I have different "sets" and just take the ones I need for the given day. Mostly I rotate between just needing only my house key or grabbing the car + house key combo.

I would echo the sentiment that you should evaluate what you do on a daily/weekly basis and figure out what it is you actually need to carry. People will stuff their wallets full of gift cards and coupons, and then end up never using them. Similarly, for key chains, there's no need to use a carabiner or carry around a multi-tool if you don't actually need them on a regular basis.

Yeah. I've got my car keys and house keys, and a break-connector so I can just grab the house keys if need be. Hauling around too much shit is annoying and ruins your silhouette. :P

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Druhim wrote: »

edckit5.jpg

Just pointing out its from CountyComm and cheaper by $5 and has more stuff
    http://countycomm.com/cc4.html

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Oooh, thanks.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Oooh, thanks.

The one thing I don't carry on it (but still have) is the lighter. Makes it a little bulky in my pocket for my tastes, but I do wear tight jeans, so that's part of the issue.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Also, this is on my keychain...
    capopenerkey.jpg?w=640
    http://makr.com/bottle-key

Esh on
  • Options
    If you're getting a *biner of any sort, S-biner's tend to come with bottle openers.

http://www.niteize.com/product/S-Biner-Ahhh.asp

Plus you save like $10.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Esh wrote: »
    Oooh, thanks.

The one thing I don't carry on it (but still have) is the lighter. Makes it a little bulky in my pocket for my tastes, but I do wear tight jeans, so that's part of the issue.

You? Skinny jeans? I never would have guessed...

:)

• Options
    Esh wrote: »
    Oooh, thanks.

You? Skinny jeans? I never would have guessed...

:)

Hey, how do you think I make such great tips at work?

• Options
    Eating a shit load of fries when you challenge the drunks.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    One of these days I'm going to show up at Esh's bar just to harass him.

On topic for the post, I had no idea key rings were such a big deal. I basically have my keys...on a ring. That's it. Just a ring.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Any suggestions on where to find those aircraft cable rings in Canada? countrycomm doesn't seem to sell to Canadians and a keyshop I called around here didn't have them. Shipping from Amazon.com was $23 for $11 of keyring..

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Have a friend in the states get it and mail it to you as a gift?

That or you can make your own, it is "Aviation cable" that is available by the foot from many places. I'm sure with a few calls and some googling you could source some up.

iRevert on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I have one of these, because a very small part of me really is a hippie:

The_Aviator___Be_501997d99645f.jpg

BeersNotBombs_peacebronzestory2.png
    From the 1940′s through the 1980′s, huge quantities of copper were mined in Montana for the expressed purpose of being used in the massive network of cabling connecting nuclear missile silos across the upper Midwest. During the Clinton Administration, many miles of these cables were decommissioned through the process of disarmament. The San Luis Obispo company that fabricates Peace Bronze into bottle openers and jewelry, From War to Peace, excavated huge sections of the gigantic wires and used the copper to create necklaces, earrings, and bottle openers. The metal is not, and never has been radioactive. The 95% copper mix has been certified safe by the U.S. Government, Iowa metal recyclers, and the From War to Peace lab.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    The former is a bit of a hassle (not many friends in the States). The latter seems difficult. How would you put the connectors on?

• Options
    edited January 2013
    1) Visit local crafting/sewing store
    2) find jewlery making aisle
    3) profit

Basically crimps/pliers and some solder

iRevert on
This discussion has been closed.