As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

corporate military

VBakesVBakes Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://sanityforsale.wordpress.com/2007/03/18/blackwater-bushs-shadow-army/

Anyone else think this kind of thing is very wrong? I really don't like where this kind of thing can go. It basically describes the bush administrations use of contractors.

Therman Murman?......Jesus.
VBakes on

• Options
    MVMosinMVMosin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I hate Blackwater.

MVMosin on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's just plain wrong. If we're going to hire mercenaries they need to be Hessian, goddamnit.

moniker on
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    moniker wrote: »
    It's just plain wrong. If we're going to hire mercenaries they need to be Hessian, goddamnit.

It's a violation of my ironic rights.

Edit: How exactly do these people get like... licenses to go be mercenaries? Is their training different/harder/easier than regular military?

VishNub on
  • Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Welcome to the free market.

Gorak on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Jesus, TLDR.

Anyone care to explain what the problem is with using mercinaries in security roles?

I have a friend that is an operator for Blackwater, as well as some friends who are operators for various other contractors. They're not out there conducting black ops, they're out there guarding convoys, VIPs and major arteries through the cities.

Guys who work for top tier contractors are typically honorably discharged SEALs, Rangers, Delta, Recon, etc.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007

I support the Hired Hession act of 2007.

Shinto on
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    VishNub wrote: »

It's a violation of my ironic rights.

Edit: How exactly do these people get like... licenses to go be mercenaries? Is their training different/harder/easier than regular military?

It's more focused, and you generally need prior military experience to be approved for their schools. A large majority are ex-special forces.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Gooey wrote: »
    Anyone care to explain what the problem is with using mercinaries in security roles?

You remember those 4 guys in Fallujah? Also, the lack of oversight and ability to prosecute crimes committed.

moniker on
  • Options
    Swimming BirdSwimming Bird __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I have no problem with BlackWater opperating OUTSIDE the USA, inside is very different

Swimming Bird on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Jesus, TLDR.

I have a friend that is an operator for Blackwater, as well as some friends who are operators for various other contractors. They're not out there conducting black ops, they're out there guarding convoys, VIPs and major arteries through the cities.

Guys who work for top tier contractors are typically honorably discharged SEALs, Rangers, Delta, Recon, etc.

This is a correct statement.

I don't hate Blackwater because I think they're "out there conducting black ops," as opposed to security roles. I hate them because they capitalise on the political sensetivity of deploying military troops into low combat-intense areas.

That sort of sensitivity should not be encouraged. Ever.

MVMosin on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have no problem with BlackWater opperating OUTSIDE the USA, inside is very different
    So you have no objections on moral grounds? Would you care to elaborate why it's okay for them to mess around in my country and why it's not okay for them to mess around in your country?

Aldo on
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Aldo wrote: »
    So you have no objections on moral grounds? Would you care to elaborate why it's okay for them to mess around in my country and why it's not okay for them to mess around in your country?

I think what he means is a worry over possible constitutional overreaches committed by these private security firms when they operate against American citizens. Its not the same as having them in a country that is embroiled in civil-war.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Wasn't the A-Team merc's? If so, then hire them!

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I have no problem with my dog shitting all over everyone else's lawn as long as he doesn't do it on mine.

Gorak on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

You remember those 4 guys in Fallujah? Also, the lack of oversight and ability to prosecute crimes committed.

The problem is, working for a contractor you don't get the same level of intel you do as the military. Officers for these companies typically have to use thier connections in the military to get a basic level of intelligence for a mission they've been asigned. Unfortunately they were walking into a hornet's nest and the intelligence didn't filter down far enough. It's not like these guys didn't know what they were doing or how dangerous thier job was.

Plus, the military needs to start worrying about the warcrimes being committed by the egotistical puffed-chest 18-year-olds they're handing M16's. They're doing far worse than contractors, believe me.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    He is being inarticulate, but the point here is that the idea of private-security firms being given legitimized war-powers while operating inside their host nation is very scary. It creates a conflict of interest between the people who have them at the bridles and the interests of the american people, it completely disrupts the checks and balances of law enforcement.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Wasn't the A-Team merc's? If so, then hire them!

if no one else can help...

and if you can find them....

then maybe you can.

Gorak on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

The problem is, working for a contractor you don't get the same level of intel you do as the military.

Another reason I dislike their existence and use.
    Officers for these companies typically have to use thier connections in the military to get a basic level of intelligence for a mission they've been asigned. Unfortunately they were walking into a hornet's nest and the intelligence didn't filter down far enough. It's not like these guys didn't know what they were doing or how dangerous thier job was.

They weren't properly equipped by the companies own standards, were missing rear gunners, and didn't have a map of their path. The situation was bad by all means, but they got fucked over by the company too, to top it all off.
    Plus, the military needs to start worrying about the warcrimes being committed by the egotistical puffed-chest 18-year-olds they're handing M16's. They're doing far worse than contractors, believe me.

I agree, but that's far from a justification for the use of these mercenaries.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

When you have gangs roaming a city with AK-47's shooting at hospitals and innocent bystanders, your police force (ha!) has fled the city, the National Guard can't get mobilized due to the severity of the damage to the infrastructure of the state, and modern, organized, civilized society as we know it is crumbling, I don't think it's out of line to hire a team of very capable contractors (read:bad asses) to step in to protect civilians from someone else's fuckup.

New Orleans/Katrina was a worst case scenario. The day you see a team of Blackwater operaters fast rope out of a helicopter in the parking lot of Wal-Mart to stop a kid from stealing a pack of bubblegum you can be worried.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

When you have gangs roaming a city with AK-47's shooting at hospitals and innocent bystanders, your police force (ha!) has fled the city, the National Guard can't get mobilized due to the severity of the damage to the infrastructure of the state, and modern, organized, civilized society as we know it is crumbling, I don't think it's out of line to hire a team of very capable contractors (read:bad asses) to step in to protect civilians from someone else's fuckup.

New Orleans/Katrina was a worst case scenario. The day you see a team of Blackwater operaters fast rope out of a helicopter in the parking lot of Wal-Mart to stop a kid from stealing a pack of bubblegum you can be worried.

Are you implying that I should stop selling assault rifles to thugs?

Because that's where a large part of my income comes from.

MVMosin on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

If a scenario like that ever played out, where police and national guard are powerless, and there are armed gunmen roaming the streets with AKs, and society is crumbling, we're far past the point where mercs will be effective at stopping anything.

Swimming Bird on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    They weren't properly equipped by the companies own standards, were missing rear gunners, and didn't have a map of their path. The situation was bad by all means, but they got fucked over by the company too, to top it all off.

The thing is, as a contractor, you have the option of saying "No." You don't get that right in the military. Blackwater "brass" and these operators figured this would be a quick trip just like all the others. Unfortunately it didn't turn out that way. That doesn't make the blame placed squarely on Blackwater's shoulders.

If a scenario like that ever played out, where police and national guard are powerless, and there are armed gunmen roaming the streets with AKs, and society is crumbling, we're far past the point where mercs will be effective at stopping anything.

It was called hurricane Katrina.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Mercs were IN Louisiana when Katrina was going on, it did a lot of good.

Swimming Bird on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

O_o
    New Orleans was far from that in most all respects and primarily due to FEMA being slashed and burned. (Also, ACE failures regarding the levees) It operated just fine in previous disasters of a near equivalent level. If you can afford to hire an outside company to do what you refuse to pay your own agencies who are charged with those jobs something is seriously fucked up.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    MVMosin wrote: »

As long as you tell them to turn the 'gat sidewayz.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

The thing is, as a contractor, you have the option of saying "No." You don't get that right in the military. Blackwater "brass" and these operators figured this would be a quick trip just like all the others. Unfortunately it didn't turn out that way. That doesn't make the blame placed squarely on Blackwater's shoulders.

How is a contractor having the 'freedom' of deriliction of duty supposed to endear me to their use? Also, you can refuse orders if you find something morally questionable. You'll get discharged, but you can do it. The blame doesn't lie solely at Blackwater's feet, but they certainly do deserve some of it. The system setup where firms like Blackwater are charged with military duties also deserves a good bit of the blame.

Did you actually watch the news during Katrina or just listen to the rhetoric about it after the fact?

moniker on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

O_o
    New Orleans was far from that in most all respects and primarily due to FEMA being slashed and burned. (Also, ACE failures regarding the levees) It operated just fine in previous disasters of a near equivalent level. If you can afford to hire an outside company to do what you refuse to pay your own agencies who are charged with those jobs something is seriously fucked up.

BZZT. It was that bad. Armed gangs roamed the streets. The NO police were nonexistant and most fled the city. Some even caught on tape looting stores (thanks youtube!).

Honestly, NO is a shithole of a city, it's a shame they're trying to rebuild it.

Either way, someone fucked up royally and the innocent people of NO needed help RFN. The Guard was too clumsy to mobilize effectively so the gov't called the next best thing. What's the problem?

As far as the ACE stuff, I remember reading somewhere that the ACE reccommended a levee that would contain a class 5 hurricane in the upgrade a number of years back but the city decided it was too expensive.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I can never understand what the fuck they're saying. They come into my shop and start spewing vocal diarrheea, and I say something snarky like "Do you ever get the idea that someone is trying to communicate with you... And just failing? Miserably?" Then they vomit forth some sort of coagulation of vowels not unlike the fish sperm confection that the Japanese seem to enjoy, usually along the lines of "ma'ou'ah'ah."

Then I say something else snarky. I'll give them a tablet and say in the most patronising way possible, "Try to draw what it is that you want."

Interestingly enough, not a single one of them has ever had the testicles to stand up for his right to talk and dress like a fucking three-year-old.

MVMosin on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Did you actually watch the news during Katrina or just listen to the rhetoric about it after the fact?

I just talked to friends and family members afterthefact.

I told them they shouldn't have moved there.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I still want to know why you think Mercs are a good idea in a situation like Katrina; nevermind the fact, like I said, they were there already and accomplished very little.

Swimming Bird on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I can never understand what the fuck they're saying. They come into my shop and start spewing vocal diarrheea, and I say something snarky like "Do you ever get the idea that someone is trying to communicate with you... And just failing? Miserably?" Then they vomit forth some sort of coagulation of vowels not unlike the fish sperm confection that the Japanese seem to enjoy, usually along the lines of "ma'ou'ah'ah."

Then I say something else snarky. I'll give them a tablet and say in the most patronising way possible, "Try to draw what it is that you want."

Interestingly enough, not a single one of them has ever had the testicles to stand up for his right to talk and dress like a fucking three-year-old.

what people exactly are you talking about?

VBakes on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I still want to know why you think Mercs are a good idea in a situation like Katrina; nevermind the fact, like I said, they were there already and accomplished very little.

They accomplished about as much as a purely security-oriented force can accomplish in a situation like that. What was the better alternative?

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I fail to see why Blackwater should be operating in the US...yes, even in situations like Katrina. I'd much rather see the National Guard there, with clear chain of command and accountability. Despite what our current administration thinks, this is our job...not extended occupations following wars of choice.

EDIT: Then again, I fail to see why Blackwater should be operating in Iraq, either...fucking mercs cause nothing but problems.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    VBakes wrote: »

Thugs, I would imagine, as per his OP.
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I'd much rather see the National Guard there, with clear chain of command and accountability.

You and me both. The lack of accountability is a huuuuuge problem with using mercinaries. But in a situation like that I don't know if there were many alternatives.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Thugs, I would imagine, as per his OP.
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I'd much rather see the National Guard there, with clear chain of command and accountability.

You and me both. The lack of accountability is a huuuuuge problem with using mercinaries. But in a situation like that I don't know if there were many alternatives.

"thugs", right.

VBakes on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    "thugs", right.

Oh God, here we go.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    BZZT. It was that bad. Armed gangs roamed the streets.

Cite? All the reports I had seen and read about shots being fired were all retracted later on.
    The NO police were nonexistant and most fled the city. Some even caught on tape looting stores (thanks youtube!).

Honestly, NO is a shithole of a city, it's a shame they're trying to rebuild it.

Either way, someone fucked up royally and the innocent people of NO needed help RFN. The Guard was too clumsy to mobilize effectively so the gov't called the next best thing. What's the problem?

The Guard and FEMA wasn't capable of mobilizing in part due to the government giving money to firms like Blackwater over government agencies like the National Guard and FEMA. How do you explain the track record and responses to previous disasters? Also, I hope you aren't seriously holding up Katrina as a model example of how useful private contractors are.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Well the fact that you sell guns and they clearly don't feel they have enough guns may have a hand in that.

You probably said it in an East European accent, as well. You're definitely sounding more and more like a character from a Bond film.

Gorak on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Gang bangers, survivalists, "neo-nazis," pseudo militants, soldiers of fortune, wannabes and otherwise.

MVMosin on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I support Blackwater Wal-mart anti-theft division.

JJ on