As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Take-Two to Jack Thompson: "Fuck you"

13»

• Options
    chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Rocketlex wrote: »
    Maybe he shot at his own house.

Damn, I'm gonna get sued for saying that, aren't I?

Even mentioning his name is Libel since you're on a gaming forum.

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • Options
    RocketlexRocketlex Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm just waiting for Jack to pull a Uwe Boll and challenge all his enemies to a boxing match. I'd pay to see that.

Rocketlex on
    While you were asleep, your windows told me all your secrets.
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have it on good authority that Jack Thompson is a fucking twat bag.

Is that libel?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm just waiting for Jack to pull a Uwe Boll and challenge all his enemies to a boxing match. I'd pay to see that.
    Him and Uwe should get together in the thunderdome. Whoever survives is the king of destroying Video Game reputations.

Then we jump the winner on the way out.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    RocketlexRocketlex Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Is that libel?

No. Now, if you'd said...
    Video games told me that Jack Thompson is a fucking twat bag.

...THEN you might be onto something.

Rocketlex on
    While you were asleep, your windows told me all your secrets.
  • Options
    Mr PeepersMr Peepers Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What does bookstorm mean?

Mr Peepers on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Mr Peepers wrote: »
    I think that's when everyone who has ever played a game ever threw books at Jacks house.

That would have been fun.

No, wait, I think that was when Jackies book was linked to stuff about bestiality or something on Amazon. Can't remember.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Mr Peepers wrote: »

When his book came out, everyone flooded it with horrible reviews on amazon.com and associated it with things like the homosexual kama sutra and a bunch of other disturbing things. He threatened Amazon with a lawsuit if they didn't take the negative reviews down.

chaossoldier on
  • Options
    ArugulaZArugulaZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think people were just posting nasty things about his book in the reviews section, and giving it low ratings. Here's a guy with such a fragile ego that he quite literally makes a court case out of an insult.

EDIT: Did Amazon remove them? (Hopefully not.)

ArugulaZ on
    JR

Same old site, great new look! Check out The Gameroom Blitz at:
    http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    ArugulaZ wrote: »
    I think people were just posting nasty things about his book in the reviews section, and giving it low ratings. Here's a guy with such a fragile ego that he quite literally makes a court case out of an insult.

EDIT: Did Amazon remove them? (Hopefully not.)

Some of them were removed since it's against their policy to post a fraudulent review (and most of the reviews were just personal insults to JT anyway). Quite a few remained though, a lot of satirical "positive" reviews also stayed.

chaossoldier on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Damn, they took em down, but the book can be bought with a book about what Video Games have taught us.

And Also Ann Coulter's book, "Godless".

EDIT: Je est stupide. I need to look farther down the page.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    Robo BeatRobo Beat Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Is that libel?

No. Now, if you'd said...
    Video games told me that Jack Thompson is a fucking twat bag.

...THEN you might be onto something.

What if video games told me that Jack Thompson drinks the blood of puppies to quench his demonic thirst?

'Cause they did. And he does.

Robo Beat on
    This is not the greatest sig in the world.
    This is just a tribute.
  • Options
    Evan WatersEvan Waters Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Really, the only thing that's left to do at this point is for a qualified psychologist to write up a profile on the guy.

We know he's insane, but I'd like to know just how it happened.

Evan Waters on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Really, the only thing that's left to do at this point is for a qualified psychologist to write up a profile on the guy.

That was tried when he was running for Governor of Florida I think. Or some office. I forget which. But he apparently passed so now he flaunts the title of being the only certifiably sane lawyer in Florida.

chaossoldier on
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

That was tried when he was running for Governor of Florida I think. Or some office. I forget which. But he apparently passed so now he flaunts the title of being the only certifiably sane lawyer in Florida.

a- are you serious?
    not about the test, about the sane part

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's quite easy to pass a psychological examination if you're able to stay calm during it and know what responses to give them.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ArugulaZArugulaZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The part he conveniently leaves out is that he's the only lawyer in Florida who the justice system felt NEEDED a psychological exam in the first place.

ArugulaZ on
    JR

Same old site, great new look! Check out The Gameroom Blitz at:
    http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    gunwarrior wrote: »

a- are you serious?
    not about the test, about the sane part

Granted, he claims to be sane since he passed that test.

chaossoldier on
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    While all the blogs think he's mad as a hatter, it's nice to know slightly more mainstream outlets are finding him a little odd as well:
    — COUNTER-STRIKE: Crusading Miami attorney Jack Thompson has been after "Grand Theft Auto" publisher Take-Two Interactive (TTWO) for years now, with the battle expected to resume this year with "Manhunt 2" and "GTA IV." This time, however, Take-Two is drawing first blood.

According to the Game Politics Web site, the company petitioned the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida "to enjoin [Thompson] from bringing suit on behalf of the State of Florida to enjoin the sale of 'GTA IV' or 'Manhunt 2' as a nuisance."

Thompson brought a similar (and ultimately unsuccessful) suit last year against Take-Two's "Bully," and he was unfazed by the company's pre-emptive strike.

"I have been praying, literally, that Take-Two and its lawyers would do something so stupid, so arrogant, so dumb, even dumber than what they have to date done, that such a misstep would enable me to destroy Take-Two," the lawyer said.

Maybe Kratos isn't the crankiest guy in video games.

Maybe this perspective will be mirrored in their television coverage of Thompson's impending shenanigans. We can only hope.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I discover Jack Thompson to be rather amusing, as a 13 year old gamer.

Apparently I should be emulating the M rated games I play, considering the adolescent mind is oh-so-susceptible to violent influence. :P

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    Evan WatersEvan Waters Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

He'll have to change that once he's no longer a lawyer...

Evan Waters on
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What happened to all the e-surance hentai. This thread was getting good around page 3. THE FORREST DESTROYER IS HOT.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    skace wrote: »
    What happened to all the e-surance hentai. This thread was getting good around page 3. THE FORREST DESTROYER IS HOT.
    Nobody ever got the links. All were saddened.

You don't have to post them. Just PM them to everyone who asks.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Jack thompson should get disbarred. This latest lawsuit might be his last. We should all ignore him and find pity in such a worthless person. He doesn't believe in the american way, He doesn't believe that we have the right to our own freedoms in our entertainment.

We shall have a party if he gets disbarred.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051122-5613.html

alabama hit him once, please florida! finsh the job!

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If only we could. Davie isn't too far away from here...

Always good to see someone fighting back against this idiot, though. It only takes one moron to get all the media attention.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I thought the FBA was doing some kind of investigation into Jackie-Boy's activities due to all the complaints about him.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Mr PeepersMr Peepers Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Senor Fish wrote: »
    skace wrote: »
    Nobody ever got the links. All were saddened.

You don't have to post them. Just PM them to everyone who asks.

I need to see this. I am ashamed, but damn it curiosity is killing me.

Mr Peepers on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Talking about Jack Thompson would be more fun if it didn't make my head hurt to think about his "arguments."

Or the fact that he's continuously allowed to make them.

Just think, your taxes at work here.

I wish someone could get a case together on him on the OJ Simpson level, get the best fucking lawyer in the country, if not the world, to bust his balls into paste, and make it so we never have to hear from him again. Because his cases have become harassment. I feel harassed every time I hear his fucking name.

Let's get together a class-action suit on Thompson and sue him for all the slander and libel he casts upon us. The things he says about us, game developers, and gaming in general is far worse. I'm sure there are those who got disrespectful letters from him after they were NICE to him that could contribute to the cause.

...yeah, I'm kidding, but in a perfect world...

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Talking about Jack Thompson would be more fun if it didn't make my head hurt to think about his "arguments."

Or the fact that he's continuously allowed to make them.

Just think, your taxes at work here.

I wish someone could get a case together on him on the OJ Simpson level, get the best fucking lawyer in the country, if not the world, to bust his balls into paste, and make it so we never have to hear from him again. Because his cases have become harassment. I feel harassed every time I hear his fucking name.

Let's get together a class-action suit on Thompson and sue him for all the slander and libel he casts upon us. The things he says about us, game developers, and gaming in general is far worse. I'm sure there are those who got disrespectful letters from him after they were NICE to him that could contribute to the cause.

...yeah, I'm kidding, but in a perfect world...

If we can prove that he has purposely intended to hurt the character the gaming community....

Okay, we need a paypal account and a lot of evidence of everything's said over the years.

chaossoldier on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    chaossoldier on
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

This has EVERYTHING to do with Thompson.

You KNOW he's going to trot out this bit of info before the month is up.

"Look, look! These guys who lived out their GTA fantasies are CONVICTED KILLERS!"

Sigh.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick