As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Trailers] 2 Minutes in Heaven

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    That explains why it looks so lifeless compared to Cars and Cars II.

And they weren't anything to write home about to begin with.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    skeldare wrote: »

wait what? something went wrong with the upload or is that just a shittie trailer? i was getting into it only for it to end abruptly mid sentence after 28 seconds?

the fuck

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    VestyVesty Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Pretty sure Disney's the one pushing Planes, not Pixar.

If that makes a difference.

Pixar's name was never even attached to it, but the misconception is definately in Disney's favor so I'm sure they don't care. Also, like everything else now a days they're planning on making Planes a trilogy.

• Options

wait what? something went wrong with the upload or is that just a shittie trailer? i was getting into it only for it to end abruptly mid sentence after 28 seconds?

the fuck

It doesn't seem like a bad upload as much as a really shitty teaser.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

the fuck

an incredibly shitty teaser if that's how its supposed to be. the cut at the end is so abrupt, in fact it think it ends mid-word.

hopefully it'll be fixed or a better version will be uploaded soon since it does look pretty interesting.

• Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Emissary42 wrote: »

I wonder if it is possible for me to hate an add campaign any more than what I am seeing for Ender's Game.
    The whole point of the books is that it is a "game," the audience isn't any more knowledgeable than Ender, that is kind of the point. Why you base your add campaign on spoiling the reveal is fairly confusing. At this point shouldn't they title the film "Ender's Game (fyi it is not a game)".

southwick on
  • Options
    quantumcat42quantumcat42 Registered User regular
    So much of the casting looks amazing, but somehow I just can't get behind Harrison Ford as Graff. His voice-overs have been the worst parts of these otherwise shiny trailers. Also, I don't know how spoilery one can be about a 30 year old book, but the trailer seems to want to find out.

But yeah, I'ma gonna watch that.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Man, fuck that trailer.

If someone made a trailer today for Empire Strikes Back, it would be all, "Who... Is... Luke's... Father..." followed by a close-up of Darth Vader, followed by "It's... Not... Who... You... Expect..." followed by another close-up of Darth Vader, and then the scene at the end with Vader going, "Luke, I am your..." and then cut to an explosion.

I hate trailers.

(Says the guy in the trailers thread.)

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

the fuck

an incredibly shitty teaser if that's how its supposed to be. the cut at the end is so abrupt, in fact it think it ends mid-word.

hopefully it'll be fixed or a better version will be uploaded soon since it does look pretty interesting.

I sort of assumed it was on purpose, given the subject and the focus on breaking form and whatnot. I also thought it was really fucking stupid, and would prefer that the explanation was a faulty upload.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Man, fuck that trailer.

If someone made a trailer today for Empire Strikes Back, it would be all, "Who... Is... Luke's... Father..." followed by a close-up of Darth Vader, followed by "It's... Not... Who... You... Expect..." followed by another close-up of Darth Vader, and then the scene at the end with Vader going, "Luke, I am your..." and then cut to an explosion.

I hate trailers.

(Says the guy in the trailers thread.)

Same thing bugged me about the Two Towers trailer. I guess it wasn't a huge reveal in the movie, but they did the cool little voice trick and kept referring to Gandalf as "the White Wizard" so the characters thought it was Saruman, and then it's Gandalf. Sort of a mini reveal. And midway through the trailer Gandalf just shows up and is all "i'm back, muhfuggas."

• Options
    WydrionWydrion Registered User regular
    So much of the casting looks amazing, but somehow I just can't get behind Harrison Ford as Graff. His voice-overs have been the worst parts of these otherwise shiny trailers. Also, I don't know how spoilery one can be about a 30 year old book, but the trailer seems to want to find out.

Ben Kingsley with full-face tattoo is cringe worthy to me. I will never believe that it's real, because it's obviously Ben Kingsley shit on his face.

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    kill all muppets. do it now.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    They're puppets. You can't kill them.

EVER.

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    That's something.

So it'll be out in 2014 and they're having Scooter singing a song from 2011 eh?

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Ford's been phoning it in for like a decade now.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

He wasn't bad in Cowboys and Aliens.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

He was mediocre at best. He looked and sounded tired.

• Options

He is old and tired though.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

He should go be old and tired at home then, not in front of the camera.

• Options

He should go be old and tired at home then, not in front of the camera.

You're probably right. Surprisingly, it's just been announced that he's replacing Bruce Willis in the 3rd Expendables movie.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    come on guys. He was more than decent in 42 or am I alone in thinking that?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I felt "old and tired" fit the character well in Cowboys and Aliens.

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013

I think it might be intentional. The last exchange is Prof: "This institution exist because of tradition and form" - Ginsberg: "[Walt Whitman] hated rhyme and meter" and they cut the music / trailer off right in the middle of a musical phrase. It is breaking the tradition and form of trailers.
    Or I could just be looking too deeply at it.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

I think it might be intentional. The last exchange is Prof: "This institution exist because of tradition and form" - Ginsberg: "[Walt Whitman] hated rhyme and meter" and they cut the music / trailer off right in the middle of a musical phrase. It is breaking the tradition and form of trailers.

if this is indeed what they intended then it only makes it worse as it completely fails to convey what they'd hoped. if they want to make a trailer that doesn't conform to the accepted form and rules i've got to imagine there are better ways to do it than that.

also, its a pretty stupid idea.

Trailer ends abruptly

"Well that's weird, where's the rest?"

"Oh no, that's it. That's the whole thing. its symbolic you see..."

"No! Its fucking stupid!! You're trying to sell the movie not the ideas behind it! You get the entire run time of the movie to sell those ideas but only if people actually go and see the damn thing! And that is why you make a trailer!"

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    They're puppets. You can't kill them.

EVER.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsg5Ho5EYBY

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    quantumcat42quantumcat42 Registered User regular

if this is indeed what they intended then it only makes it worse as it completely fails to convey what they'd hoped. if they want to make a trailer that doesn't conform to the accepted form and rules i've got to imagine there are better ways to do it than that.

also, its a pretty stupid idea.

Trailer ends abruptly

"Well that's weird, where's the rest?"

"Oh no, that's it. That's the whole thing. its symbolic you see..."

"No! Its fucking stupid!! You're trying to sell the movie not the ideas behind it! You get the entire run time of the movie to sell those ideas but only if people actually go and see the damn thing! And that is why you make a trailer!"

Plus, the larger point of breaking with "tradition and form" is to do it better, not settling for where the bar is set. Making a confusing trailer is the opposite of that.

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Muppet sequel. Hmmm.

Ricky Gervais, fine

Tina Fey, meh

Ty Burrell, ???

No Jason Segel and still no Frank Oz is a big worry. Bret McKenzie doing the music again is good, but a horrible already-dated-when-the-trailer-is-released pop song cover is a bad, bad sign.

I loved The Muppets, and the new Muppet movie was way, way better than it had any right to be. They really should have stopped there until they had something really good for a sequel.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Page- wrote: »
    Muppet sequel. Hmmm.

Ricky Gervais, fine

Tina Fey, meh

Ty Burrell, ???

No Jason Segel and still no Frank Oz is a big worry. Bret McKenzie doing the music again is good, but a horrible already-dated-when-the-trailer-is-released pop song cover is a bad, bad sign.

I loved The Muppets, and the new Muppet movie was way, way better than it had any right to be. They really should have stopped there until they had something really good for a sequel.

Disney likes making money and whoring out their properties.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I seem to remember the first trailers for that last Muppet movie not really grabbing me, but then they kind of did a thing where they had like 15 different trailers all giving different (incorrect) impressions of the movie. I dunno, all the recent Muppet stuff has been pretty good, so I'm willing to wait for more before I judge it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I thought the last Muppet movie was just depressing. I think they got to the last three minutes of the movie and realized that only a deus ex machina could lighten the mood.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular

He chose the wrong girl.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    southwick wrote: »

He chose the wrong girl.

Nah, Imma agree with Loki.

• Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    Disappointing that Natalie Portman's character seems to have lost all traces of a brain and is relegated to being Thor's Girlfriend.

This discussion has been closed.