Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Catholic Cover-Up] A Cardinal, a Monseigneur, and 500 children walk into a bar

• Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Jorge would make a great Penultimo to Chavez's Presidente.

Edith Upwards on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Coworker of mine: "Hard for new Pope's to live up to John Paul"

Me: "Yeah they all can't be covering up a massive conspiracy to hide rapists and at the same time championing some kind of mistress of suffering as their ambassador."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    Edith Upwards
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    He HAS, however, been implicated in kidnapping
    A human rights lawyer has filed a criminal complaint against an Argentine cardinal mentioned as a possible contender to become pope, accusing him of involvement in the 1976 kidnappings of two priests.

Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio’s spokesman Saturday called the allegation “old slander.”
    http://articles.latimes.com/2005/apr/17/world/fg-cardinal17

Wow, that didn't take long at all.

Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
    Henroid wrote: »
    A human rights lawyer has filed a criminal complaint against an Argentine cardinal mentioned as a possible contender to become pope, accusing him of involvement in the 1976 kidnappings of two priests.

Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio’s spokesman Saturday called the allegation “old slander.”

Yeah thats what the altar boys always told Pope Benedict.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    He also looks really old, is there some kind age requirment for talking to god now? You have to be about to see him yourself?

There's no such thing as a young Cardinal. It takes decades to work your way up the Catholic church hierarchy.

Man and here I thought the mariners farm team sucked.

I'm here all week folks tip your waitress!

edited March 2013
    BERGOGLIO, Jorge Mario: Born December 17, 1936 in Buenos Aires, and ordained December 13, 1969 during his theological studies at the Theological Faculty of San Miguel. Bergoglio served as Jesuit Provincial (elected leader of the order) for Argentina (1973-79) and rector of the Philosophical and Theological Faculty of San Miguel (1980-86). After completing his doctoral dissertation in Germany, Bergoglio served as a confessor and spiritual director in Cordoba. In 1992, the Pope appointed him Assistant Bishop of Buenos Aires; then in 1997, he was appointed Coadjutor Archbishop (deputy archbishop with right of succession) of Buenos Aires; ultimately becoming Archbishop on February 28, 1998. Bergoglio is the vice-President of the Argentine Bishops Conference and serves on the Vatican's committee for the worldwide synod of bishops (a grouping of all bishops conferences). He speaks Spanish, Italian and German. Bergoglio exemplifies the virtues of the wise pastor that many electors value. Observers have praised his humility: he has been reluctant to accept honors or hold high office and commutes to work on a bus. What could count against him is his membership in the Jesuit order. Some senior prelates, especially conservatives, are suspicious of a liberal streak in the order, perhaps most pronounced in the U.S., but also present elsewhere. Bergoglio is said to prefer life in the local Church as opposed to a bureaucratic existence in Rome's ecclesiastical structures, but at the same time he has been willing to serve on the Vatican's various supervisory committees. This could indicate an ability to bridge the curia/local church divide that splits the College of Cardinal Electors, making him a good compromise candidate.

E:Boy were they off!

Edith Upwards on
  • TheCanManTheCanMan Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Henroid wrote: »

Here are some of the details from one of the articles that has just popped up about him.
    ...At least two cases directly involved Bergoglio. One examined the torture of two of his Jesuit priests — Orlando Yorio and Francisco Jalics — who were kidnapped in 1976 from the slums where they advocated liberation theology. Yorio accused Bergoglio of effectively handing them over to the death squads by declining to tell the regime that he endorsed their work. Jalics refused to discuss it after moving into seclusion in a German monastery.

Both men were freed after Bergoglio took extraordinary, behind-the-scenes action to save them — including persuading dictator Jorge Videla's family priest to call in sick so that he could say Mass in the junta leader's home, where he privately appealed for mercy. His intervention likely saved their lives, but Bergoglio never shared the details until Rubin interviewed him for the 2010 biography.

TheCanMan on
    But he was definitely selected as a sop to first world Catholics.

• HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    Man and here I thought the mariners farm team sucked.

I'm here all week folks tip your waitress!

Well at least you're living up to your avatar.

Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
    SOP? Shaved Oni Penis?

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    they all are to some degree tied to that shit yeah

I will say of the big Catholic sects Jesuits are one of the less actively offensive. Not as hung up on politics and do genuinely to care about education.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    SOP? Shaved Oni Penis?

Sons of the Popetriats

Viskod on
    Artereis wrote: »
    It's not your fault, Viskod. 1 out of every 10 people just happens to be a monster.
    mxmarks
    Standard Operation Popeedure.

I'm still sad we never got the CSI Miami episode that had the pope getting eaten by a bear in the woods.

"Looks like this bears shits out popes in the woods."

csimiamiyeah.gif

Gnome-InterruptusshrykeEdith Upwards
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Most important fact about new pope: which pop icon does he resemble?
    549827_10200950834478871_1052547235_n.jpg

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Well that's a step up from being a dead ringer for Gollum and Palpatine.

I guess?

Artereis wrote: »
    It's not your fault, Viskod. 1 out of every 10 people just happens to be a monster.
  • TaramoorTaramoor Registered User regular
    Most important fact about new pope: which pop icon does he resemble?
    549827_10200950834478871_1052547235_n.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTiID_bpx5kk2xC30AjT0VQ7tJVqJRt0iEO0iR2wQS3CdJSPCNvng

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    You know, it's fitting that we have a Pope Frank, because this appointment comes across as assigning a custodian to the Vatican.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I keep hearing he's popular with poor people.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Walked by yesterday, saw the crowds, and I wondered, "What happens if the Pope comes out and sees his shadow?"

This morning I figured it out...6 more weeks of Lent.

PLA wrote: »
    I keep hearing he's popular with poor people.

He lives less grandly than he could and advocates for the poor which is good. Then again he's anti abortion, anti contracpetion, and anti homosexual marriage/equal rights, which are bad. He's also connected to a brutal dictatorship (and no not the current vatican).

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular

Aww, I was hoping you meant his lookalike, Pierce Hawthorne.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Pope Frank/Francis sounds so wrong. Papa Francisco or Papa Francesco are so much more right.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | 3DS: 0130-2805-2850
    camo_sig2.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    I prefer "Frankie Infallible-Fingers"

• Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Pope Francesca might be fun.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    KalTorak wrote: »

So you're saying he's going to try and sell a stolen diamond to a jew later?

KalTorak wrote: »

So you're saying he's going to try and sell a stolen diamond to a jew later?

He's already sort of got a tea-cozy on his head.

My god... It all makes sense.

Rome.

Rome?

Rome! You know bad government worse politicians Rome!

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I hope we'll see a Pope Bob sometime.

"We would end up a compassionate NGO. What would happen would be like when children make sand castles and then it all falls down."

What?

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    "We would end up a compassionate NGO. What would happen would be like when children make sand castles and then it all falls down."
    What?
    Some context for that would be nice.

I still don't understand the sentence even reading the article, but you're right I should have linked it.

• MvrckMvrck Registered User regular
    I am...thoroughly confused by that statement.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I think he took the "house built on sand" parable a bit too far.

What I think he's saying is that Spirituality and Confession to Christ are what makes the church more than just a "compassionate NGO" (Non Governmental Organisation). Presumably he feels such entities can disband and reform way too easily or something, whereas he believes the Church should be more than that and stronger than that.

Gandalf_the_Crazed
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    To be honest, I think he's throwing around the word "compassionate" a little too liberally, there.

MalReynolds
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    To be honest, I think he's throwing around the word "compassionate" a little too liberally, there.

Like, he's projecting or over-elaborating?