As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Engadget "confirms" black Xbox 360 Elite, w/ 120 GB and HDMI

gilraingilrain Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
Well, it seems Engadget has heard enough to convince them to risk a chunk of their reputation, as they're saying they've "confirmed" that a black Xbox 360 Elite will be released, with many tasty-sounding features.
Engadget wrote:
We've confirmed with trusted sources that the black Xbox 360 is indeed coming (the image above is of the original 360 dev kit, FYI), and will be dubbed the Xbox 360 Elite. Here's what you need to know about it:

* The Elite will be limited quantities only; that may be as much or as little as a couple hundred thousand.
* The case, controller, and Live headset will all be black. It will have all new packaging.
* Elite will cost $479, and will be a 3rd SKU; it will be sold alongside Premium and Core packs.
* Eventually Elite hardware (in white plastics) will take the role of the Xbox Premium. That is to say, after the Elite is launched and sold out, future Xbox Premiums will have 120GB / HDMI.
* We do not yet know exactly when 120GB / HDMI will become the standard for Premium, but it is loosely estimated to be late summer or fall.
* Elite models run cooler than normal 360s, but they are not yet confirmed to have 65nm chips.
* Prices may remain the same with the 120GB / HDMI hardware upgrade in the Premium Xbox, but we may still see a price cut on the line when 65nm chips start shipping.
* The HD DVD drive will not be internal or bundled -- Microsoft never did or nor does not currently have plans to put an HD DVD drive in the 360.
* There are no current plans to integrate WiFi into the Elite or future Premiums (although that can always change).

To me, this seems pretty convincing. If so, it will definitely cause me to wait on my Xbox 360 purchase until the Elite is released. Also, it seems strange to make it a limited run, then revert it to the white Premium. I can see these becoming a collector's item in the future.

gilrain on

• Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    such a dumb name

Ranced on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Reliable Sources

Because Engadget is Serious Business.

Press releases do a much better job. I'll wait for one before getting excited. Also - if it's a real roller - how much is it going to hurt for me to get that 120GB HD on it's own?

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    At least they didn't spell it with 3's instead of E's.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I really don't like the name "Elite" for it, I gotta say. Anyone could come up with waaay better in just a few minutes.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Threepio wrote: »
    Reliable Sources

Press releases do a much better job. I'll wait for one before getting excited. Also - if it's a real roller - how much is it going to hurt for me to get that 120GB HD on it's own?

Less than $200, which probably means $199.99.

When the white "Elite" comes out, I'll trade in my old 360 towards it and pay the difference.

Ranced on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, that seals it. I will eventually get a 360.

I will probably wait till PS4, and then play any PS3 exlcusives I missed out on (either by getting a lowered price PS3, or a PS4 if it has full BC)

LewieP on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ranced wrote: »
    Threepio wrote: »
    Reliable Sources

Less than $200, which probably means $199.99.

When the white "Elite" comes out, I'll trade in my old 360 towards it and pay the difference.
    I did find myself thinking, "Aw man, black? All my A/V stuff is either silver or white." I don't want to wait for the white version, though, so farewell to coordinated entertainment center.

gilrain on
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ranced wrote: »
    such a dumb name

At least they didn't call it Wii.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I thought the subject meant a new Elite game was in the works for the 360 :P

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Honestly the main reason I would want this over my premium is the fact that it's black and it runs cooler, even though cooling has never really been an issue for me.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    HDMI and a bigger Hard Drive? ZOMG Microsoft copies SONY!!!

That price is fucking ridiculous, but when the Premium starts shipping with 120GB drives standard for $400, I will buy one immediately.

Also, how much are they planning on charging people for a 120GB laptop HD slapped into a plastic case? Considering they think a 20GB drive is worth a hundred bucks?

Einhander on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Moar liek 360 l337!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    the 20GB could possibly be cut to 70$ and the 120GB will be the new 100$

so then they'd have

Memory Card 64MB - 30$
    Memory Card 512MB - 50$
    Harddrive 20GB - 70$
    Harddrive 120GB - 100$

I'm just making this up with no facts to base it on

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    hambone wrote: »
    At least they didn't spell it with 3's instead of E's.

Yeah, really.

Oh wait. :(

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    I really don't like the name "Elite" for it, I gotta say. Anyone could come up with waaay better in just a few minutes.

I would have been happy with "Xbox 360 Premium-er"

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    LCDXX wrote: »

I would have been happy with "Xbox 360 Premium-er"

Xbox 361

LewieP on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    I've seen sites/people call it the Xbox 360 Pro. Where the fuck did that come from?

it'd be

Xbox 360 Am
    Xbox 360 Pro
    Xbox 360 Legend(ary)

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Einhander wrote: »
    HDMI and a bigger Hard Drive? ZOMG Microsoft copies SONY!!!

That price is fucking ridiculous, but when the Premium starts shipping with 120GB drives standard for $400, I will buy one immediately.

Also, how much are they planning on charging people for a 120GB laptop HD slapped into a plastic case? Considering they think a 20GB drive is worth a hundred bucks?
    I think the initial GI report said "under $200," which of course means $199.99.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man if this one came with the HD-DVD installed they'd have my Amex already. That would've sealed the deal for me and at $579 I'd be so, so happy.

Shogun on
  • Options
    BladeofTheImmortalBladeofTheImmortal __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

I will probably wait till PS4, and then play any PS3 exlcusives I missed out on (either by getting a lowered price PS3, or a PS4 if it has full BC)

I don't think anyone cares what you are planning on doing.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't want to sound mean, but you know this topic isn't even about Sony, its really getting annoying to go into any thread that isn't about Sony and have someone bring up, well, i think ill not get a PS3 now..lol...

When instead you should just be taking about the actual topic....

BladeofTheImmortal on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, I would have gone for "Xbox 360 Black Edition" "Xbox 360 Platinum" or something like that, but whatever.

Regardless, this brings up the point that now, we have, for $30 cheaper than the cheapest PS3, a system with SIX TIMES the capacity, a far greater game base, HD cables included in the package, a headset....

For $130 less than the 'real' ps3, you're getting a system with twice the HDD capacity, more games, better HDTV support, HD cables included in the package, as well as a headset, etc. etc. etc.

That's just nuts. I mean, to the regular consumer? That's a no-fucking-brainer right there.

This reeeeeallly makes me worry for the ps3.

At this point, it's pretty much got three advantages, period. MGS4, free online, and blu-ray. Two of those are relatively easy for Microsoft to counteract in a trillion ways, and one is arguably just trivial, until blu-ray is declared the sure winner.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    StevecroxStevecrox Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hrmm how about:

Xbox 360 Bestest
    Xbox 360 Super Ultimate PS3 slaying Monster ass kicking console
    Xbox 360 P60 (inspiration from the wee, I mean wii)
    Xbox 360 Dark and Deadly (sorry not got off the bodily function idea)
    Xbox 360 We want more money from you
    Xbox 360 Premium Limted Edition (like ronsil)
    Xbox 360 Super Ultimate Premium Lightening Monster Limited Edition

See if I'm going to have a 'multi media centre' games console I want two extra things that Xbox are ignoring a TV input and a way to plug in a huge hard drive (like my 500GB one) *cough* USB? *cough* At the moment all this media centre is offering me is a hard drive upgrade, great I can almost take the 'media centre' aspect seriously, also no inbuilt HD DVD so after getting your 360 l33t you then have to buy a HD DVD drive on top which will probably be white as most retail stockers won't stock the l33t's Black one. I'm guessing the 'media centre' is still a addon on idea not taken seriously enough.

Stevecrox on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Man, what?

Isn't the entire point of threads with news like this so we can discuss how it impacts our outlook on the range of games/consoles available, and how it impacts the industry as a whole?

Its hardly like I said "ololz, now the MS will buy Sony in 5 years, olol D00M3D for massive damage"

I am sure that the PS3 will be a decent console, with plenty of games worth playing, but I can't resist the package that MS are offering.

LewieP on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited March 2007
    i hope they sell the hdd seperately

bongi on
  • Options
    Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    bongi wrote: »
    i hope they sell the hdd seperately

I can't imagine any reason they wouldn't.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    LewieP what are your intentions in regards to next gen console purchases in, say, the next 6 months?

Just randomly picked you. What are your thoughts?

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Man, what?

Isn't the entire point of threads with news like this so we can discuss how it impacts our outlook on the range of games/consoles available, and how it impacts the industry as a whole?

Its hardly like I said "ololz, now the MS will buy Sony in 5 years, olol D00M3D for massive damage"

I am sure that the PS3 will be a decent console, with plenty of games worth playing, but I can't resist the package that MS are offering.

What package? If anything you should be pissed that it took them 2 years to release a new HDD, and on top of it all you have to shell out money for a whole new console if you want the benefits right away. Hey, with a PS3 I could already have a 300GB HDD for only around 100(the same price as the 20GB HDD available now). And to top it off, if the 20GB HDD is 100, then the stand alone that they will eventually release will most likely cost as much as the freaking system itself. Yet all of that could have been taken care of if MS wasn't so damn concerned about being first out on the market. Now, I'm going to get a 360, but damn if this is true I'd be damn pissed if that Premium package i bought for 400 a while ago is now another retard pack. They really needed to do a better job, so basically they shouldn't be commeneded for an "Elite package" that should have been day 1 hardware.

BladeofTheImmortal on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »
    LewieP what are your intentions in regards to next gen console purchases in, say, the next 6 months?

Just randomly picked you. What are your thoughts?

I bought a Wii at launch, and I have in the past 6 months picked up dirt cheap PS2 + origional Xbox. I also blagged a DSlite + NSMB for about £30 a few weeks after launch.

I am also getting a free PC soon, which is great specs, but only onboard GFX.

In the near future I will be buying a decent graphics card (I'm thinking X1950) and playing lots of PCs games I've missed out on (my current setup could just about run HL2) Picking up/playing through a load of the PS2/Xbox games I missed out on (just got in to SMT:Nocturne, ICO and Strangers Wrath) and getting the odd Wii game for birthdays and such, aswell as when they are in sales/special offers.

Beyond that, either when I graduate, or if I can get a decent summer job, I plan to get an Xbox 360 as soon as it is economically viable for me to do (I am a 1st year student atm)
    What package? If anything you should be pissed that it took them 2 years to release a new HDD, and on top of it all you have to shell out money for a whole new console if you want the benefits right away. Hey, with a PS3 I could already have a 300GB HDD for only around 100(the same price as the 20GB HDD available now). And to top it off, if the 20GB HDD is 100, then the stand alone that they will eventually release will most likely cost as much as the freaking system itself. Yet all of that could have been taken care of if MS wasn't so damn concerned about being first out on the market. Now, I'm going to get a 360, but damn if this is true I'd be damn pissed if that Premium package i bought for 400 a while ago is now another retard pack. They really needed to do a better job, so basically they shouldn't be commeneded for an "Elite package" that should have been day 1 hardware.

Well since I don't own a 360 atm, I won't be shelling out any 'extra' this is just an additional teir to their product range, making it so I get more for my money (I am talking about getting the new 120gb version when it drops to premium price). Please don't take out your frustration on your perceived being screwed over by microsoft for being an early consumer.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Man, what?

Thats unfair. They have basically released a cheap PS3. Same specs, $100 cheaper.

Though it doesnt have a blu ray drive. but who cares.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    gilrain wrote: »
    Well, it seems Engadget has heard enough to convince them to risk a chunk of their reputation, as they're saying they've "confirmed" that a black Xbox 360 Elite will be released, with many tasty-sounding features.
    Engadget wrote:
    We've confirmed with trusted sources that the black Xbox 360 is indeed coming (the image above is of the original 360 dev kit, FYI), and will be dubbed the Xbox 360 Elite. Here's what you need to know about it:

* The Elite will be limited quantities only; that may be as much or as little as a couple hundred thousand.
    * The case, controller, and Live headset will all be black. It will have all new packaging.
    * Elite will cost $479, and will be a 3rd SKU; it will be sold alongside Premium and Core packs.
    * Eventually Elite hardware (in white plastics) will take the role of the Xbox Premium. That is to say, after the Elite is launched and sold out, future Xbox Premiums will have 120GB / HDMI.
    * We do not yet know exactly when 120GB / HDMI will become the standard for Premium, but it is loosely estimated to be late summer or fall.
    * Elite models run cooler than normal 360s, but they are not yet confirmed to have 65nm chips.
    * Prices may remain the same with the 120GB / HDMI hardware upgrade in the Premium Xbox, but we may still see a price cut on the line when 65nm chips start shipping.
    * The HD DVD drive will not be internal or bundled -- Microsoft never did or nor does not currently have plans to put an HD DVD drive in the 360.
    * There are no current plans to integrate WiFi into the Elite or future Premiums (although that can always change).

To me, this seems pretty convincing. If so, it will definitely cause me to wait on my Xbox 360 purchase until the Elite is released. Also, it seems strange to make it a limited run, then revert it to the white Premium. I can see these becoming a collector's item in the future.

For all of microsofts foolishness, sometimes they impress me with not banking on the latest and greatest technology. I wished I had waited and yet, I still do really like my 360.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Hmmm. Interesting. I wonder if this will influence a downturn in Xbox 360 sales in the short term.

Edit: Reason for being - we've had no contact from MS on this sku. It's not setup in our database and that takes about four days. It's usually a few weeks for the first POs to be cut and for orders to ship or be DTS'd. That creates lag time from "leak" to "launch". Would you buy today based on the probability of a better system out tomorrow?

We experience a slowing in the DS original in the weeks leading up to the Lite. I think this would follow the same lines.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Man, what?

Thats unfair. They have basically released a cheap PS3. Same specs, $100 cheaper.

People that want to watch good movies in the best picture quality around. Casino Royale in 1080p is almost better than sex(figure of speech)

BladeofTheImmortal on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    1080p is overrated.

Way overrated.

Im not saying HD is useless, but it isnt exactly the second coming. Especially in Europe.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    LImited quantities. THA explains it. I was wondering how they could possibly justify being $20 shy of the PS3 and not including HD-DVD.

CZroe on
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Well considering the price being almost the same price as a PS3 with not really any benefits

I care, I would rather have Blu-ray than another 360 with an hdmi port for the same price of a PS3

Lothars on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    1080p is overrated.

Way overrated.

Im not saying HD is useless, but it isnt exactly the second coming. Especially in Europe.

Then you obviously haven't seen Casino Royale in 1080p.

BladeofTheImmortal on
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    1080p is overrated.

Way overrated.

I thought the same thing but wait until you see proper 1080p content on a proper screen... none of that MPEG2 @ 1080p crap until I saw the brush strokes and penciling on Disney's Alladin on a Sony XBR display (and the Pioneer Elite they replaced it with). I decided then that "I would not be without." Now my Best Buy credit card has $4,700 on it. :(

Now if only Disney would get their asses in gear and properly support Blu-Ray as they have promised to do. There's not a single Masterpiece Collection of Pixar movie available in all this time!

My other concern is the early authoring software that was MPEG-2 only. Clearly, this is what Disney has been using and CLEARLY, the demo used VC-1/AVC/h.264... but Disney is the studio that continued to use the buggy flawed early DVD mastering software throughout the life of the DVD format... improperly flagging every other frame as progressive or interlaced and effectively RUINING software/flag-reading deinterlacing DVD players.

CZroe on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    1080p is overrated.

Way overrated.

I didn't realize that geography degraded the corneas of humans.

I'll beg to differ. The difference from 1080i/720p to 1080p is slight, but visible and quite enjoyable. The difference from SD to HD is vast. Some of the highest clickthroughs on our learning portals for both brands are about HD (How do I get HD? What's important in an HDTV? Blu-ray Vs. HD-DVD, etc.).

So over-rated? No. Not at all. HD is the third coming - of TV. It's as important as the jump from Black and White to Colour - it's still a picture, but I know what I - and the large majority of those given a choice - would rather watch.

It pisses me right off that I've bought "the good 360" package - that's now slightly gimped. It won't degrade my gaming experience but it's a bit of a bitter taste right now. If that bloody multiport on the back of my 360 is capable of being used with some new supercable from MS that sports an HDMI tentacle, all will be forgiven.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I think Carnivore means with regards to how much 1080p sets cost in Europe. So few people will own 1080p capable sets this generation that it won't be a major factor in purchasing decisions.

LewieP on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, I would have gone for "Xbox 360 Black Edition" "Xbox 360 Platinum" or something like that, but whatever.

Regardless, this brings up the point that now, we have, for $30 cheaper than the cheapest PS3, a system with SIX TIMES the capacity, a far greater game base, HD cables included in the package, a headset....

For $130 less than the 'real' ps3, you're getting a system with twice the HDD capacity, more games, better HDTV support, HD cables included in the package, as well as a headset, etc. etc. etc.

That's just nuts. I mean, to the regular consumer? That's a no-fucking-brainer right there.

This reeeeeallly makes me worry for the ps3.

At this point, it's pretty much got three advantages, period. MGS4, free online, and blu-ray. Two of those are relatively easy for Microsoft to counteract in a trillion ways, and one is arguably just trivial, until blu-ray is declared the sure winner.
    But.... it lacks playing HD disc formats.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png