As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Engadget "confirms" black Xbox 360 Elite, w/ 120 GB and HDMI

• Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Meh - it seems the most annoying people are always the loudest when it comes to the Wii :"The Wii is a fad" or "Wii will destroy 360 and PS3" crap they always pull.

So...not trying to be lazy - does this mean they're going to cut the price of the current premium? or does that have to wait until the production goes well with the new smaller chip?
    And anyone knows how much they're going to reduce the price?

Because I really don't want to buy the core, yet I don't want to spend $400 for the premium due to me being cheap.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    Ownage JonesOwnage Jones Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    I still say pricing this at $400, moving the Premium to $300, then removing the Core SKU would have been the best move. I guess it could still happen though, maybe even later this year.

I'd wager that. 3 SKU's? Hell no.

Also, this makes that other company look pretty smart, especially after all that shit they talked (No 1080p games, HDMI, etc).

Ownage Jones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently playing: Infamous, Resident Evil 5
    Need to play: Shadow Complex, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank: ACIT, MW2, Alpha Protocol
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I still say pricing this at $400, moving the Premium to $300, then removing the Core SKU would have been the best move. I guess it could still happen though, maybe even later this year.

Best for YOU, not the company. Anyone know how much they lose, if any, on this new system?

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Best for YOU, not the company. Anyone know how much they lose, if any, on this new system?

No, I meant for Microsoft. I already have a 360, and I'm not interested in buying an Elite. I think in North America they've already got the upper hand over the PS3, and I think if they drop the price before GTA4 and Halo 3 it would be a really good move for them.

bruin on
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

No, I meant for Microsoft. I already have a 360, and I'm not interested in buying an Elite. I think in North America they've already got the upper hand over the PS3, and I think if they drop the price before GTA4 and Halo 3 it would be a really good move for them.

No, I think that they will get a lot of hardcore 360 fans buying this at this price-point. They can charge anthing they want, and the fans will buy it.

Then they can launch a cheap Halo 3 bundle later this year, and drop the price after the bundle is finished.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So I was reading about this on Kotaku and saw this comment:
    wrote:
    "for people whose only concern is HDMI, this is a hard bargain for MS to press. i bought a 120G HD for my PS3 pre-launch and it cost <$100 in November '06, bringing my PS3 hardware costs to:

$500 20GB system
    $100 bigger HD
    $6 HDMI cable
    $50 controller
    TOTAL = $656

compare this to my current 360 which needs to be replaced:

$400 premium system
    $200 hd dvd addon
    $40 controller
    $65 live vision kit (an extra $5 for the webcam + some xbla games makes it a better deal than a lone one-year live gold subscription)
    $10 optical cable
    TOTAL = $775

now i need to find someone to buy my 360, find a way to get the fucking data off the HD w/o buying a 120GB drive, and spend another $480 on the elite.

$775 previous 360 expense
    ($200) approximate used/trade-in value
    $480 elite
    TOTAL = $1055

fantastic. i'm really glad i'm going to end up spending about $400 more for an inferior HD format (smaller capacity, 54 Mbit/s v 36.5 Mbit/s)just because Universal and Weinstein refuse to be reasonable."

Quick, someone find me the penny arcade cartoon where the kid complains about how to play four swords he needs to also buy a TV, and a house, etc.

his xbox math is off... and I don't feel that LIVE should be factored in, personally. ps3 doesn't have anything like that currently.

edit - plus I think we mostly all agree that this is a stupid thing to do anyway.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I don't know of any people that were on the fence about the premium 360 because of the feature list, "I dunno man... the price is great, and I would even pay another $100 if it only had HDMI and an extra 100GB of HD space..."

No, what people want is a $300 next gen game console that isn't gimped.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    So I was reading about this on Kotaku and saw this comment:
    wrote:
    "for people whose only concern is HDMI, this is a hard bargain for MS to press. i bought a 120G HD for my PS3 pre-launch and it cost <$100 in November '06, bringing my PS3 hardware costs to:

$500 20GB system
    $100 bigger HD
    $6 HDMI cable
    $50 controller
    TOTAL = $656

compare this to my current 360 which needs to be replaced:

$400 premium system
    $200 hd dvd addon
    $40 controller
    $65 live vision kit (an extra $5 for the webcam + some xbla games makes it a better deal than a lone one-year live gold subscription)
    $10 optical cable
    TOTAL = $775

now i need to find someone to buy my 360, find a way to get the fucking data off the HD w/o buying a 120GB drive, and spend another $480 on the elite.

$775 previous 360 expense
    ($200) approximate used/trade-in value
    $480 elite
    TOTAL = $1055

fantastic. i'm really glad i'm going to end up spending about $400 more for an inferior HD format (smaller capacity, 54 Mbit/s v 36.5 Mbit/s)just because Universal and Weinstein refuse to be reasonable."

Quick, someone find me the penny arcade cartoon where the kid complains about how to play four swords he needs to also buy a TV, and a house, etc.

his xbox math is off... and I don't feel that LIVE should be factored in, personally. ps3 doesn't have anything like that currently.

edit - plus I think we mostly all agree that this is a stupid thing to do anyway.

Not only is it off, but it's $60 off. Ridiculous.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm not sure about this move. This new version being "Elite" makes the Premium version look more like the Core now. That and the price is getting awfully close to the price of the $499 PS3.
    That's insane. This SKU is pretty dumb, as for roughly $20 more...

Heh, exactly.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Rehab wrote: »
    I'm not sure about this move. This new version being "Elite" makes the Premium version look more like the Core now.

Well, I think the Elite will end up being a niche SKU. It's for people who want a super-extreme 360. The Pro version will be fine for 95% of gamers.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    As someone who staunchly opposes purchasing technology within the first year or 2 of their projected 5 year lifespan... I have to say the 360 elite is reeeally tempting, and threatens to be my first "next gen" purchase. I tried out a 360 for the first time this past week and liked the interface and live arcade games..

But now that its confirmed not to be limited edition, I can probably hold out a while longer, at least until next xmas

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Marlor wrote: »
    Rehab wrote: »
    I'm not sure about this move. This new version being "Elite" makes the Premium version look more like the Core now.

Well, I think the Elite will end up being a niche SKU. It's for people who want a super-extreme 360. The Pro version will be fine for 95% of gamers.

That is a good point and hopefully Microsoft markets the new SKU that way. Another thing I meant by that though is that I can't help but feel like many current 360 Premium owners will feel a bit cheated because their version is no longer the best one available.

I mean, I would feel a bit cheated if a newer version of the Wii suddenly came out after just picking one up recently.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah I feel cheated.

Microsoft is starting to really piss me off.

Oh well. If my current 360 breaks down, I'll sell the damaged console on ebay, then go out and buy the Elite.

Fucking Microsoft can just go to hell.

tardcore on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So my roommate is leaving next month and taking his 360 with him...

Can I assume it's gonna be a while before that new hard drive comes out? I am debating whether to buy a premium, or get a core and buy a wireless controller and the new drive.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't see this as all that big of a deal. Just like with the PS3, the $400 is the cheap version, and the $480 is the "expensive" version. Only big difference that can't be replicated on the $400 version is the HDMI, and from the sound of it component does just fine.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    The thing that sucks is that I fucking hate that chrome. So, if I wanted a system that didn't look like a Pimp My Ride reject, I'd have to buy a Core.

And $179.99 for a 120GB hard drive is pretty much one of the biggest ripoffs I've ever seen in my life. Makes sense, though, since the difference between a Core and a Premium is $100 (the cost of a 20GB HD), so the difference between a Core and an Elite is $180 (the cost of a 120GB HD).

So basically, instead of giving consumers "choice" like they made such a big deal out of (while blasting Sony for not doing so), they're making the people who buy the lower end systems pay to cover the costs of additional features that they not only don't want, but don't get. So, basically, you've got to pay $180 to get a 120GB HD, but you don't get a black case or an HDMI port like you would if you had bought an Elite.

Einhander on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dont they sell new faceplates/side plates for the 360? Ive certainly seen the faceplates in stores. I mean, noone buys them and they havent exactly been the revolution in home console personalisation MS hoped they would be but surely you could still click off the chrome case and put on a basic white one.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Dont they sell new faceplates/side plates for the 360? Ive certainly seen the faceplates in stores. I mean, noone buys them and they havent exactly been the revolution in home console personalisation MS hoped they would be but surely you could still click off the chrome case and put on a basic white one.

The faceplates are interchangable, but the chrome is attached to the actual drive bay, so it's stuck there.

Einhander on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So, Microsoft, would you like me to bend over now or shall we wait a bit longer, hm?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    You'll have to wait until they release the special edition $499 green Halo 3 Xbox 360 for that.

Duh

Einhander on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Doesn't that mean for only $20 extra you can get a blue-ray drive and wifi thrown in too?

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    tardcore wrote: »
    Yeah I feel cheated.

Microsoft is starting to really piss me off.

Oh well. If my current 360 breaks down, I'll sell the damaged console on ebay, then go out and buy the Elite.

Fucking Microsoft can just go to hell.

Yeah, buy the console twice. That way you can really show them who's boss!

Take THAT Microsoft!

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    corcorigan wrote: »
    Doesn't that mean for only $20 extra you can get a blue-ray drive and wifi thrown in too?

yeah, but you would have to own a PS3 to do that.

LewieP on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    corcorigan wrote: »

Wifi is only in the $599 60gig model, not the 20gig.

Though interesting to note is that most stores have stopped CARRYING the 20gig models too. Gamestop/EB has said flat out that they wont be getting 20gig systems anymore for the PS3.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, I've been holding off on buying a 360 until it's gaming library reached "critical mass" for me.

It did this recently, so I've been holding off a little longer until I had a definitive sign somehow.

I'll take this as that sign. :D

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    devolvedevolve Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think it's retarded to make it a permanent SKU, and I question whether or not microsoft actually thinks they won this generation already.

If it's a permanent SKU though, I smell a price drop pretty quickly.

devolve on
    detriot.png
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm torn--I want a 360, but I don't know whether to hold out for the Elite or just go with the current model. How much of a difference does 100 gigs make?

Then again, by the time I'm able to afford a 360 something may change.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    devolve wrote: »
    I think it's retarded to make it a permanent SKU, and I question whether or not microsoft actually thinks they won this generation already.

It wouldn't surprise me if the price drop is around Christmas. Ditch the core, drop the Premium to the Core position, and the "Elite" into the Premium position.

As for screwing over customers? How so? If you bought a premium a month ago, and this was launched at the same price, knocking the premium out of that spot, I can definitely understand being pissed, but it's not. You still get the exact same machine for the exact same money once this is released that you got a month ago. They just now offer a more... erm... digital...? version for a slightly higher price. I doubt most consumers are even going to give a damn about this version of the console.

As for the hard drive and its price... I have no idea what the hell they're thinking on that one, but even with FFXI still installed on my current drive, and over 20 Live Arcade titles, and some shows, and with downloading the occasional rented movie, I see absolutely no real reason to pick the thing up. There just isn't a real reason to do so right now.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Aoi wrote: »
    ...As for the hard drive and its price... I have no idea what the hell they're thinking on that one, but even with FFXI still installed on my current drive, and over 20 Live Arcade titles, and some shows, and with downloading the occasional rented movie, I see absolutely no real reason to pick the thing up. There just isn't a real reason to do so right now.

You don't think that there is a good reason for a 120GB hard drive? When you cut it down, your 20GB drive is only ~13Gb of usable space, and the 120GB clocks in at ~103GB. High-def movies can run from 4-5GB a piece, and the Live Arcade game size may be capped at 150MB now, but as soon as the 120GB drive is out, it'll skyrocket I think. And if you've got a hefty music collection and don't feel like/have the hardware for streaming...? It all adds up.

You might think that 13GB is enough, but you're in a very sall minority.

But, I completely agree with the price argument.

Einhander on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    video, if that kind of thing gets you aroused: http://on10.net/Blogs/tina/exclusive-video-first-look-at-the-xbox-elite/

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ZOMG! April's fool, AM I RITE??!?! :)

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Einhander wrote: »
    ...As for the hard drive and its price... I have no idea what the hell they're thinking on that one, but even with FFXI still installed on my current drive, and over 20 Live Arcade titles, and some shows, and with downloading the occasional rented movie, I see absolutely no real reason to pick the thing up. There just isn't a real reason to do so right now.

You don't think that there is a good reason for a 120GB hard drive? When you cut it down, your 20GB drive is only ~13Gb of usable space, and the 120GB clocks in at ~103GB. High-def movies can run from 4-5GB a piece, and the Live Arcade game size may be capped at 150MB now, but as soon as the 120GB drive is out, it'll skyrocket I think. And if you've got a hefty music collection and don't feel like/have the hardware for streaming...? It all adds up.

You might think that 13GB is enough, but you're in a very sall minority.

But, I completely agree with the price argument.

I'm doubting i'm in the minority here. I'm aware of movie sizes, I use the marketplace. You download them once, watch them, then delete them. You don't purchase the movies, so that 4 gigs of space isn't something that's going to add up over time unless you like keeping unwatchable video files on your hard disk. The Live Arcade sizes aren't going to skyrocket with the introduction of the new hard drive because they're still limiting the sizes because of memory card sizes. And again, I own over 20 of the things, I have several shows from the marketplace, and I have Final Fantasy XI installed on the drive and still have around 6 to 7 gigs free at any one time, and once I drop that, it's going to go back to around 10. Again, for a majority of the users out there, especially the mainstream users who won't get nearly the use out of their hard drive that I do, won't have any real use for it anytime soon.

Aoi on
  • Options
    Vicious_GSRVicious_GSR Dude Principality of ZeonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So what is the future of Xbox 360 games?
    What SKU standard will games be developed for? The Core, The Pro, Or the Elite?
    How in the fuck can you core gamers be happy about this? :(

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm doubting i'm in the minority here. I'm aware of movie sizes, I use the marketplace. You download them once, watch them, then delete them. You don't purchase the movies, so that 4 gigs of space isn't something that's going to add up over time unless you like keeping unwatchable video files on your hard disk. The Live Arcade sizes aren't going to skyrocket with the introduction of the new hard drive because they're still limiting the sizes because of memory card sizes. And again, I own over 20 of the things, I have several shows from the marketplace, and I have Final Fantasy XI installed on the drive and still have around 6 to 7 gigs free at any one time, and once I drop that, it's going to go back to around 10. Again, for a majority of the users out there, especially the mainstream users who won't get nearly the use out of their hard drive that I do, won't have any real use for it anytime soon.

How large is FFXI on the 360? Because it's around 9GB on the PS2.

And it won't be long before you can actually purchase (not rent) movies and TV shows for cheap.

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    So what is the future of Xbox 360 games?
    What SKU standard will games be developed for? The Core, The Pro, Or the Elite?
    How in the fuck can you core gamers be happy about this? :(

As it stands now, the games are developed, with a few exceptions, for the core, and some have the ability to cache to the hard drive. I don't really see that changing at all to be honest. It's not like they're making sweeping hardware changes, they're just adding a new output and a bigger hard drive, most likely for media functions.

And Einhander, I've never checked the install size on Final Fantasy, I just know I have about 6 to 6.5 gigs left with it still installed.

Aoi on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    So my roommate is leaving next month and taking his 360 with him...

Can I assume it's gonna be a while before that new hard drive comes out? I am debating whether to buy a premium, or get a core and buy a wireless controller and the new drive.

Also, while I am at it.

Is there currently a way to transfer saves between 360's? Or is this new cable, whenever the hell it comes out, the only way.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited March 2007
    FFXI on the 360 clocks in at 4.5 gigs or so.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    syndalis wrote: »
    FFXI on the 360 clocks in at 4.5 gigs or so.

Thanks.

Einhander on
  • Options
    devolvedevolve Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    devolve wrote: »

It wouldn't surprise me if the price drop is around Christmas. Ditch the core, drop the Premium to the Core position, and the "Elite" into the Premium position.

As for screwing over customers? How so? If you bought a premium a month ago, and this was launched at the same price, knocking the premium out of that spot, I can definitely understand being pissed, but it's not. You still get the exact same machine for the exact same money once this is released that you got a month ago. They just now offer a more... erm... digital...? version for a slightly higher price. I doubt most consumers are even going to give a damn about this version of the console.

As for the hard drive and its price... I have no idea what the hell they're thinking on that one, but even with FFXI still installed on my current drive, and over 20 Live Arcade titles, and some shows, and with downloading the occasional rented movie, I see absolutely no real reason to pick the thing up. There just isn't a real reason to do so right now.

Well, I don't believe that I said anywhere that its screwing over consumers ;)

I don't think this is destructive, but i do think this is something that could've waited a little longer into the life cycle. Pushing this out around christmas would've been better IMHO. I DO see a use for the 120gb hard drive though, but not because I've filled my 20gb up yet.........only because I'm waiting for the day that battlestar galactica episodes are on the system and I purchase every episode in HD.

A man can dream.

devolve on
    detriot.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The part that is screwing over consumers is everyone who bought a Premium who now has to pay an extra $100 over the price of an elite if they want a larger HDD.

Einhander on