As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thread for Excellent Comedies on TV! [NBC comedies, also for other network shows]

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Why is 30 Rock making me feel all these feelings

Also is this the first time that the final season of a beloved show is arguably its best season

Like, Arrested Development was great, but nobody's gonna argue that season 3 was the best one

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    I dunno, I still think the whole Rita arc was the best of arrested development. And the walking on water "it's not a trick... It's an illusion" remains my favorite AD joke

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Rayze wrote: »
    hah, Nellie didn't remember kissing Toby. I think their scenes were my favorite part of the episode

Makes me kind of sad they turned him into a creeper though. He was such a sad sack and now they pulled him in another direction. I guess there's no happy medium with him

Toby has always been creepy. Remember the seasons when he was constantly doing weird shit to Pam and Jim?

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    hah, Nellie didn't remember kissing Toby. I think their scenes were my favorite part of the episode

Makes me kind of sad they turned him into a creeper though. He was such a sad sack and now they pulled him in another direction. I guess there's no happy medium with him

Toby has always been creepy. Remember the seasons when he was constantly doing weird shit to Pam and Jim?

Or when he fled to South America out of shame for putting his hand on Pam's knee?

• Options
    Geth knows what I'm talking about!

• Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    I'm on the second to last episode of The Finder now, keeping up my proud tradition of finding great shows after they've been cancelled. And in this case I can't even hope for a revival since Michael Clarke Duncan passed away.

Total shame that it got cancelled, though. It takes the premise of "guy who can find anything" and then doesn't have him find a serial killer every week. Instead I just watched an episode where he has to find the second half of a conversation.

It's quite good, you guys. You should check it out.

• Options
    RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Oh god 30 rock
    Kenneth is head of nbc and liz's kids are basically Tracy and Jenna
    I dunno, I'm kind of disappointed by those decisions. I wish her new kids were more like little Liz Lemon from a while back

I think that Bro Body Douche guy is the same one from the Macy's commercials, who oddly looks like a combination of Ryan Reynolds and Martin Short. It's so weird but I can't not look at him
    Yeah, but if they were little Liz Lemons instead of Terry and Janet (love that their names even sound like Tracy & Jenna), the truth of the matter is all of Liz's suffering through Tracy and Jenna is for nothing--now it was all for a reason, giving her the very specific skills to raise two kids who, because they're fucking crazy, wouldn't have a shot elsewhere.
    I think it's all fine and well if she got two kids who were a bit crazy, since she has been prepared for that scenario this whole time, but not carbon copies of Tracy and Jenna. Didn't the only thing of note Bev said about them was that they were fraternal twins?

Ah, you're right. I forgot he's been a creeper the whole time. The thing that stood out to me during the show's run was how hard he was ragged on by Michael. I actually didn't get into the show until maybe season two, where I did see the creepiness but I was more confused by it.

Rayze on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    Still waiting for the reveal that Toby is the Scranton strangler. Also my favorite Toby moment was him disappearing from the hangout at a bar to win Pam a stuffed toy from a crane machine, then her saying he should give it to his daughter. Poor, creepy toby

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I honestly can't tell whether I like what the writers did last night or not

Whether it was good or bad, it still hurt and The Office hasn't made me feel things in a long time

• Options
    Also, Kevin was great during the meeting with Pete and everyone

• Options
    lostwords wrote: »
    I dunno, I still think the whole Rita arc was the best of arrested development. And the walking on water "it's not a trick... It's an illusion" remains my favorite AD joke

My favorite joke was also from season 3: "I almost had Pop-pop in Reno."

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    lostwords wrote: »
    Still waiting for the reveal that Toby is the Scranton strangler. Also my favorite Toby moment was him disappearing from the hangout at a bar to win Pam a stuffed toy from a crane machine, then her saying he should give it to his daughter. Poor, creepy toby

I think this may be one of my favorite things about the whole series. Michael was right, Toby actually does suck.

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    The fact that ben loves Michael Stipe is amazing. He is my favorite character on TV

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    How did The New Normal not make it into the OP?

• Options
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Oh god 30 rock
    Kenneth is head of nbc and liz's kids are basically Tracy and Jenna
    I dunno, I'm kind of disappointed by those decisions. I wish her new kids were more like little Liz Lemon from a while back

I think that Bro Body Douche guy is the same one from the Macy's commercials, who oddly looks like a combination of Ryan Reynolds and Martin Short. It's so weird but I can't not look at him
    Yeah, but if they were little Liz Lemons instead of Terry and Janet (love that their names even sound like Tracy & Jenna), the truth of the matter is all of Liz's suffering through Tracy and Jenna is for nothing--now it was all for a reason, giving her the very specific skills to raise two kids who, because they're fucking crazy, wouldn't have a shot elsewhere.
    I think it's all fine and well if she got two kids who were a bit crazy, since she has been prepared for that scenario this whole time, but not carbon copies of Tracy and Jenna. Didn't the only thing of note Bev said about them was that they were fraternal twins?
    True, but I thought the only reason Bev called them in the first place--especially after determining that, married or not, Liz was pretty unfit--was because the agency was desperate, which, if the kids were little Lemons, it wouldn't make as much sense.

Also, it gets into the idea that a major theme of the show is "as much as she wants a normal life, Liz wants the show more;" that she would never be totally happy, even if she got to be a mother, without the craziness that was 30 Rock.

This way, she can have it all.
    7692026234_ddd48e5e02.jpg

• Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »
    The fact that ben loves Michael Stipe is amazing. He is my favorite character on TV

I loved that he was upset Andy got he was promised

Also that Tom knew he would be into sports because he loves statistics

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    i didn't really think i would like kroll show but it is so funny

• Options
    NBC just ordered a pilot from Lorne Michaels starring John Mulaney

If you don't know what that is, you're doing a bad job of being a person

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgfC8QgVfwA

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    BusterK wrote: »
    SLyM wrote: »

I loved that he was upset Andy got he was promised

I had to rewind and watch that part again, it was just so perfect

mkc.png
  • Options
    Can we make fun of Glee for ripping off that internet guy in here?
    I like hearing people say mean things about Glee

mkc.png
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    Lord Dave wrote: »

No.

But we can make fun of Glee for being a cancer of the world. A filthy plague that only fire can cure.

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

Jonathan Coulton isn't just "that internet guy"

he wrote the end song for Portal!

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    What?! People still watch Glee??

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    I jumbled up this title and the D&D thread title below it and thought this listed the BBC's Threads as a comedy

• Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    Bogey wrote: »
    What?! People still watch Glee??

Go back to your awesome life and stop judging the mortals Bogey.

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options

Man if that doesn't qualify you as an internet guy, I don't know what does!
    It's just so great to find out about legitimate reasons to heap scorn onto something I already hate.
    I wish there was a word to describe the pleasure I feel at viewing misfortune.

mkc.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    All right 30 Rock, you have one more episode in which to pit Jenna Maroney and Mickey Rourke against each other in a fight to the death.

• Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    What about Raven Simone? (She knows what she did.)

• Options
    So I just started 30 Rock from the beginning

oh god everything is so different also tracy morgan why is your goatee so terrible

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Parks and Rec
    For some reason I find Trash Collector April to be adorable

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    Parks and Recreation is my favorite show

A lot of the time if I hit a depression I can't find anything to pull me out, I generally gotta wait it out

but Parks and Recreation makes me smile and happy cry without fail

and these last couple episodes?

"I love you too" made me \o/

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Parks and Recreation figured out the formula to be immune to criticism

A lot of people think this has been the worst season of the show and maybe they're right, but I am still in such a goddamn good mood after each episode

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    what

"the worst season"

what

do they just hate character development or

like yeah the ron we have now dating diane is not nearly the ron from season 1

which is a good thing!

because people change when significant events in their life happen!

it is the best show

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Ron loves Mommy, Ron loves Mommy!
    I LOVE NOTHING

oh god my drink is everywhere

• Options
    Anyone who thinks this is the worst seasons should go back and reacquaint themselves with S1 again

• Options
    like season 3 was maybe the funniest season?

4 had the campaign right that season was magic

5 started off a little weak, i thought, but it's fuckin' smanging it now

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    OH GOD AUBREY PLAZA IS A PAGE IN THIS SEASON 1 EPISODE OF 30 ROCK

MY BRAIN IS ALL WRONG NOW

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Parks and Rec
    For some reason I find Trash Collector April to be adorable

that ponytail did something to make her face even more attractive

I'm not sure how but it did

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular

Man if that doesn't qualify you as an internet guy, I don't know what does!
    It's just so great to find out about legitimate reasons to heap scorn onto something I already hate.
    I wish there was a word to describe the pleasure I feel at viewing misfortune.

http://youtu.be/d3_DjiLLDfo

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    Throwing Schadenfreude

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
This discussion has been closed.