As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thread for Excellent Comedies on TV! [NBC comedies, also for other network shows]

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    Skylar haters to the left

and out the window

for a thirty storey plunge

It's not like I want to hate her, but so far they haven't given me much choice.

I can't tell if it's on purpose like a Prince Joffrey situation, or if it's just a badly written character.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I really can't help but judge Skylar haters

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Though I don't know if that's because the full context of later episodes changes perception of the earlier ones

Steam ID
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »
    i guess it's not a comedy, but i finally started watching Breaking Bad

Cranston and Paul are fantastic, but these other characters seem almost like caricatures.

I just started watching Breaking Bad a little while ago too!

I'm on Season 4 now, and trust me, just about every single character gets a lot of depth to them.

Hope so, I'm a couple episodes into Season 2 and I'm tired of hating the wife and the sister-in-law, a.k.a. every woman on the show.

Without spoiling too much, they both become a ton more likable and three dimensional.

I don't know about "likeable." Marie definitely gets better, but at this point Skyler's done some pretty awful things too.

Well nobody in Breaking Bad is likeable.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Terrendos wrote: »
    i guess it's not a comedy, but i finally started watching Breaking Bad

Cranston and Paul are fantastic, but these other characters seem almost like caricatures.

I just started watching Breaking Bad a little while ago too!

I'm on Season 4 now, and trust me, just about every single character gets a lot of depth to them.

Hope so, I'm a couple episodes into Season 2 and I'm tired of hating the wife and the sister-in-law, a.k.a. every woman on the show.

Without spoiling too much, they both become a ton more likable and three dimensional.

I don't know about "likeable." Marie definitely gets better, but at this point Skyler's done some pretty awful things too.

Well nobody in Breaking Bad is likeable.

Yeah, this is my take on it

Skylar's done some things which make her not my favorite character, but she's not even in the running for my least favorite.

At this point in the show (2 episodes into Season 4) I've seen enough of just about every character that I feel sympathy for all of them, so it's hard for me to really hate any of them.

There's one exception
    (Seasons 2 and 3 spoilers)
    And that's that damn wheelchair guy. The more they show the audience of him, the less likable he becomes.

• Options
    Basically the key thing to remember in Breaking Bad is that no one is a good guy, especially not the protagonist.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Come on I'm sure there's some random passerby in one shot who's an okay dude

• Options
    Well, the people who tend to be passing by are, for the most part, high schoolers and criminals, so nope!

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    High schoolers

• Options
    High schoolers and criminals

But I repeat myself

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »

thanks for linking this. Also hey it looks like tricky scoops linked it too on his twitter, that's a good dude that tricky scoops

Steam ID
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Hank is a very likeable and good person. So is Jesse.

• Options
    Langly wrote: »

Jesse I'll agree with, sort of

But where I'm at right now
    Hank is being an asshole to Marie when all she's trying to do is help him out.

I mean, I'll root for him when the show inevitably becomes Hank vs Walt, but as far as the man himself goes, it's hard to be a fan at this moment.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    well he was just almost assassinated and also saw someone's head stuck onto a turtle and then his colleagues were blown up right next to him, and being a person who can't very easily express his emotions is lashing out, on top of his PTSD.

Langly on
  • Options
    well he was just almost assassinated and also saw someone's head stuck onto a turtle and then his colleagues were blown up right next to him, and being a person who can't very easily express his emotions is lashing out, on top of his PTSD.
    Right, I get that! I'm not saying he's entirely unlikable! Like I said, just about every character is easy to sympathize with.

But that includes Marie, who just went from her husband not talking to her to her husband almost getting killed and still not talking to her, except to scream at her for buying the wrong brand of chips at the store.

• Options
    THEY'RE MINERALS MARIE

• Options
    CHRIST

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Really?

I don't know, I stopped watching the show because I couldn't like anyone enough to care about them

But I seem to remember Hank being absolutely awful

• Options

Really?

I don't know, I stopped watching the show because I couldn't like anyone enough to care about them

(general spoilers, maybe they're not even real spoilers, but just in case)
    He was definitely way too okay with casual racist jokes, and on top of could come off as a bit mean-spirited, but he also seemed pretty dependable and friendly once anyone actually got to know him.

His first reaction to Walt having cancer, for example, is "Oh hey if you want to borrow money for treatments just let me know"

And (season 2 spoilers)
    When Walt got kidnapped by Tuco, he spent a lot of time looking for him simply because it was the right thing to do.

It's just in recent seasons that I've found him to be kind of a dick, but even then there's pretty good reasons for that.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Hank is supposed to spend the first few episodes being awkward and super macho because he is a foil for Walt. He acts that way because he thinks he has to, because that's how guys are.

Langly on
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    edited August 2013

But I repeat myself
    Hey now.

I'm sure one of the criminals has a heart of gold.

All I'm saying, it's unfair to lump them in with high school kids

Dr. Flamingo on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    okay after the Season 2 finale, I like Skylar a lot more

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

But I repeat myself

tumblr_mgq2a4Z8Wh1r5zenjo1_500.gif

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I have a friend who will regularly declare oh no! YOUTHS! whenever she sees young people around

it never, ever fails to crack me up

• Options
    YaYa wrote: »
    I have a friend who will regularly declare oh no! YOUTHS! whenever she sees young people around

it never, ever fails to crack me up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oC45CC1s-0

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    fark_bgiIq2ANUaSC5l5lW6e2N6nzcas.jpg?t=Skq6CKQleKSfFUHIOQGfsA&f=1378094400

Did you say yoots?

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    oh nooooooooooo

some of the Bunheads cast did a goodbye dance video

I'm at work and can't watch it yet but I am anticipating all the tears

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    So I may have shotgunned the entirety of 30 Rock S2 in one day. Maybe it's because of my bad week or my poor memory, but I just kinda absorbed it like comfort food. Season 3 however? It's really clicked for me. That whole plot between Jenna and Tracey about what to do for the sick crew was golden.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    THEY'RE MINERALS MARIE

rockmeme7.jpg

I can understand why people would think that Hank is an unlikeable character, and indeed he's got some serious flaws. The casual racism would bother me a lot more if his best friend and partner seemed remotely bothered by it.

And yeah, Steve Gomez is a good guy. I can't think of anything he's done wrong.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I'm still in mid-season 2 but unless skyler freakin', like, stabs someone to death later or something then I really don't get why there'd be a lot of concentrated hate for her

Well I mean I do because she drags the show away from the crime drama aspects and into the family drama parts and yeah there's probably a heaping helping of misogyny at play with some folks as well

But her actions seem perfectly justifiable for a concerned spouse

If your husband/wife one day out of the blue becomes cold and distant and vanishes for hours and occasionally days at a time and you're catching him in lie after lie after lie when as far as you know he's always been open and honest with you in the past

Then there's something seriously wrong with you if you don't start getting worried, suspicious, and angry

And that's not even taking into account the
    rape attempt

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    You will never find a good reason for the concentrated hate towards her. It's totally unjustified. And the people who hate her are... umm, well I don't know why they hate her. To be honest, if I had to rank the Breaking Bad characters in terms of how much I like them, she would probably be somewhere near the bottom, but I don't know where the hate comes from. I don't know why people talk about her weight. I don't know why people talk about plastic surgery.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I've been watching The Shield on Hulu, since I missed it entirely during its run and find it pops up often in the "third golden age of television" conversation. It does something really interesting with the "harried wife of the lead antihero" character - she gets the fuck out of the house, the second shit starts to look shifty/dangerous.

Compared to the usual spins on that character type, where they either suffer in silence or get dragged down into the mess by standing by their man, it feels really refreshing and honestly super cool. Just, "Whoa, what? Full security detail on the house for mysterious reasons? Fuck that and fuck you, I'm taking the kids and S P L I T S V I L L E."

And just as I was marveling over what a cool character arc that is, and how neat a direction that is, and how that's a pretty fuckin' baller move for someone without the obvious power/control of a dirty cop, I started reading old reviews/discussions of the show. And it turns out, there's a very vocal contingent of people who hate her character, too.

Wife characters! The internet hates 'em all!

• Options
    But here's a happy TV story:

Earlier tonight, my sister and I went to a taping of Key and Peele. It was a whole, whole lot of fun, and getting to see an episode months before it airs is pretty dang cool.

Their interstitial banter segments are, obviously, heavily improv-ed, and seeing those bits while still inchoate was also a unique pleasure. At one point, they were setting up to show a (hilarious and delightful) Shakespeare-themed sketch. Keegan tried for a joke about how Shakespeare wrote the first boardgame tie-in, predating Battleship and Clue and Candy-Land by centuries, when he wrote Othello. The joke got nothing but groans from the audience, which was likely expected, and it'll almost certainly get cut from the broadcast. So he played around with it, saying, "If you don't get that joke, I can help you with it. It'll just take a minute to learn..." and he gestured for the audience to finish the slogan.

And they hung him out to fuckin' dry. Dead silence.

And you can say many derogatory things about Mr. Poor O'Chondriac, but he is a motherfucker who will never let a man dangle on a board game reference, so I threw him the much-needed, "...And a lifetime to master."

He jumped and clapped, said, "Oh, man, I didn't think I was gonna get that one."

Jordan said, "Ugh, nerds! Get out of here, both of you!" and got a big ol' laugh.

Jordan Peele called me and Keegan-Michael Key nerds, and it was sweeeeeet.

My sister was fucking mortified, but what can ya do

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2013

Really?

Hank comes across as a pretty unlikable douchebag at the start, because all we really see of him is the bullshit tough front that he puts on all the time.

Hank gradually becomes more likeable between seasons, because
    his run-in with Tuco, his experiences at El Paso, being tricked into thinking his wife was dying, barely surviving an assassination, and now discovering that the man he's been after all along is his brother in law, haveshown us exactly who he really is, and it's really hard not to sympathize with him.

A really nice touch was that episode where Hank was clearly suffering PTSD from Tuco, evne having straight-up panic attacks at work, but he refused to talk about it, while while also bottling his home brew.

And then, appropriately, the episode ends with the bottles exploding, and Hank throwing away the momento of Tuco's teeth the next day.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular

Earlier tonight, my sister and I went to a taping of Key and Peele. It was a whole, whole lot of fun, and getting to see an episode months before it airs is pretty dang cool.

Wait, that show is coming back? Awesome. I don't keep up with these things, so I assumed Key and Peele was another Comedy Central show that didn't take off. Pleasant surprise.

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Wife characters! The internet hates 'em all!

Because the Internet is comprised of pigs' assholes.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    All my friends who hate Skyler are also the same kind of people who go "well men are clearly way funnier than women" and in both cases I refuse to engage and just go NOPE YOU'RE INCREDIBLY WRONG MOVING ON

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

Wait, that show is coming back? Awesome. I don't keep up with these things, so I assumed Key and Peele was another Comedy Central show that didn't take off. Pleasant surprise.

It's one of their most successful shows in years, actually. Which is really cool, since it's actually quite good.

They're also bringing back Kroll Show (Which I find really structurally innovative and important, but only intermittently funny), Inside Amy Schumer, and Nathan For You (Which is kinda surprising, since it wasn't a huge hit, but that show's voice is so, so unique that I'm thrilled it's getting more time to find an audience). And they brought back Jeselnik Offensive so quick that it's already almost through its second season. Out of their newer crop of shows built around specific comedians, only The Ben Show got the axe.

I think they might be trying to fix their reputation as a network that gives shows one short, high-pressure season and then killing them before they even have a chance to catch on.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Has Drunk History been renewed? I fucking love Drunk History. Casting Kristen Wiig as Patty Hearst was pretty great. And the Wilson brothers as the Kellogg brothers.

This discussion has been closed.