As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

HOUSE OF THE DYING SUN | Formerly ENEMY STARFIGHTER | Early Access """June""" 7

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited June 2016 in Games and Technology
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56fCuO7JEy4

Z5qIkaQ.jpg

House of the Dying Sun is a space sim. You fly a starfighter around and blow stuff up. Also eventually you get to recruit other ships and order them around while you fly around. Your goal is to assassinate the traitor lords. You can play it with an Oculus Rift. You can play it with a gamepad. You can play it in space. It comes out on Steam Early Access in June 2016.

Links

TychoCelchuuu on

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    yes hello I'm trying to watch this video over the towering erection I'm sporting

• AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    "Sort of like Homeworld but you're in the cockpit"

OH MY GOD TAKE MY MONEY

The teeny RPS piece about the game did seem to dispel any multiplayer hopes, though.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    He's building it on the Unity engine, and since it's going to be on Linux too he might not be using any DX 11 tech at all. I wouldn't be surprised if it runs fine on XP.

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I need to cram this into my hard drive now

5gsowHm.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    He's working on the AI right now and posted a screenshot of it in progress with what I assume is debug information:

BC8onqsCIAAO2RB.png:large

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    IwantthisIwantthisIwantthisIwantthisIwantthisIwantthisIwantthisIwantthisIwantthisIwantthisIwantthisIwantthisIwantthisIwantthis

Also, I noticed the design of the shield display in the cockpit and let out a mighty "FUCK YEAH!"

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Neat little project, this.

9KmX8eN.jpg
    Latest update: improved AI and chatter. The AI seems to try to shake you off their tale much better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IHjz0MAD9I

Looking pretty cool. One thing I wish is that the pilot's breathing reacted to what you did, like taking quick, labored breaths when you were pulling a high g maneuver.

5gsowHm.png
    edited February 2013
    G's would imply there's some sort of gravity to deal with.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    TOGSolid wrote: »

No. G's are simply a measure of acceleration/deceleration. We use "G" because its a unit that is very easy and intuitive to understand (one G being the acceleration caused by earth).

So 1 G would mean that you feel the same force as if you're traveling away from earth. 2 G's would be twice that force. (It is also handy that the gravitational force imparted by a mass scales linearly with the size of the mass, So 2 G's is also equivalent to the force applied if you're traveling away from an object twice as massive as the earth).

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    Goumindong wrote: »

No. G's are simply a measure of acceleration/deceleration. We use "G" because its a unit that is very easy and intuitive to understand (one G being the acceleration caused by earth).

So 1 G would mean that you feel the same force as if you're traveling away from earth. 2 G's would be twice that force. (It is also handy that the gravitational force imparted by a mass scales linearly with the size of the mass, So 2 G's is also equivalent to the force applied if you're traveling away from an object twice as massive as the earth).

6a0120a91d3c75970b0147e07cf573970b-500wi

The starting point gets altered in space though right? You're starting from 0ish + whatever speed you're at instead of 1 + speed?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    It's a feature of acceleration.
    In space you can accelerate a hell of a lot faster than what is possible in an atmosphere, easily resulting in forces that would obliterate the puny human frame, which really isn't built for that kind of treatment.

Also dis game is shit hot. My brain basically whited out when he went from map to flying in the ship itself.
    I couldn't care less about pretties with this one. I only need a few basic polygons to shoot and I'll be happy as larry.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited February 2013
    In space you can accelerate a hell of a lot faster than what is possible in an atmosphere, easily resulting in forces that would obliterate the puny human frame, which really isn't built for that kind of treatment.

Also dis game is shit hot. My brain basically whited out when he went from map to flying in the ship itself.
    I couldn't care less about pretties with this one. I only need a few basic polygons to shoot and I'll be happy as larry.

And I'm sure someone will just mod in crazy high poly awesome shit later on anyway. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a Homeworld, X-Wing, or Battlestar Galactica conversion crop up eventually. While the space sim community might not be huge, it does have the advantage of being fucking insane like that.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Battlestar Galactica conversion

I don't think I can handle this level of want.

• TaranisTaranis Registered User regular

I just finished watching Blood and Chrome no more than ten minutes ago: my body is ready.

Immersive attention to detail would be cool, but the moment they realistically handle Delta V's, I'm out.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • VoranthVoranth MI NOMBRE, POR CIERTO ES DONTÉ!Registered User regular

Not to detract from the awesomeness that is Enemy Starfighter, but there is a pretty darn good Battlestar Galactica flight sim made using FS2Open that is free and you can check out here: diaspora.hard-light.net/

...but man, Enemy Starfighter! I can't wait for the first playable whatever to come out of this.

camo_sig2.png
    PS4: Voranth

Honestly, I like this look. It has the same kind of charm that Homeworld did.

5gsowHm.png
    I know a guy who'll be all over this just because of the "FOR THE EMPRAH" premise.

I wonder if this will include capital ships with freespace style beam weapons? Eh, wot? VrrrrrrRRRRRRRRTWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    WTF BASIL I JUST HAD THIS THOUGHT LESS THAN A SECOND AGO AND CAME TO POST IT AND YOU JUST POSTED IT

get out of my mind

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    Heeheehee!

<3

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    As awesome as Freespace beam cannons are...

Homeworld Ion Cannons just... are more memorable to me. Something about the sound.

edited February 2013
    The scariest part is the thought occurred to me after I refreshed my subscribed threads and saw it had a new post, but I didn't know who had posted it or what it was. So I came in and started posting the thought...then when I was halfway through I actually read your post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIgq2ClFlrQ

Morninglord on
    Basil wrote: »
    I know a guy who'll be all over this just because of the "FOR THE EMPRAH" premise.

I wonder if this will include capital ships with freespace style beam weapons? Eh, wot? VrrrrrrRRRRRRRRTWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Oh fucking christ, I hadn't even thought of a Battlefleet Gothica conversion.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

wWuzwvJ.png
    edited February 2013
    The notion of cleansing space for the Emprah is basically one of my dreams come true.

And Homeworld ion cannons would be good, too. Just gimme some pretty beams to look at/fly into and die, pretty, pretty please!

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    Fucking vanilla forums. It won't let me agree with your post more than once Basil.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I like how it's really bright and using less reflective/metalic looking materials.

Very distinct from most space games.

Curious to see if it lets you choose which ship to control but currently it sounds awesome.

• kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    I like how it's really bright and using less reflective/metalic looking materials.

Very distinct from most space games.

Curious to see if it lets you choose which ship to control but currently it sounds awesome.

If you guys what that you should pick starshatter. Plenty o issues but lets you command fighters and cap ships in 4 persistent campaigns.

fwKS7.png?1
    Is it me or is he going for a cell shadey look. I like it!

edited March 2013
    Yeah, I really hope he keeps the look stylized. I really love the atmosphere it sets up. It'd probably be advantageous for his dev cycle too.

Drake on
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Stylized ships are cool with me, but I hope we get the option to make space black rather than amber.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I need this, and I hope he keeps the graphics they way they are. There is just something so smooth looking about them that I hope he doesn't try to change a thing.

I think that's probably just a good environment for him to work in. It's lit up nice and bright with a color that is easy on the eyes and allows him to observe game elements without strain. I expect that we'll see a variety of environments and skyboxes.

Well, as long as the option is left in.
    I mean, as people have stated already, there's going to be a BSG mod. And you know they're going to make it all grimdark.
    I, personally, like the aesthetics of it as it is.

Drake wrote: »
    I think that's probably just a good environment for him to work in. It's lit up nice and bright with a color that is easy on the eyes and allows him to observe game elements without strain. I expect that we'll see a variety of environments and skyboxes.
    I think it's safe to say that the amber backgrounds are intentional and an homage to a certain game.

wWuzwvJ.png
    I've played and own both, and I can't even remember what color the background is.

I'll go hang my head in shame. :(