Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[MSPA] Return of a Hero...?

19495969798100»

Posts

  • MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    I predicted like 2 things correctly in homestuck (the 2 suggestion box entries I submitted :V)

    l3icwZV.png
  • MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    You also can't go totally off-the-rails because then you just end up pissing everyone off (see: Mass Effect 3).

    Untrue! You just have to do it in a way where the internal logic of the universe you've built remains consistent. Mass effect fucked that up pretty badly.

    l3icwZV.png
    Caulk Bite 6
  • ASimPersonASimPerson And they will tremble again at the sound of our silence!Registered User regular
    Machwing wrote: »
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    You also can't go totally off-the-rails because then you just end up pissing everyone off (see: Mass Effect 3).

    Untrue! You just have to do it in a way where the internal logic of the universe you've built remains consistent. Mass effect fucked that up pretty badly.

    Well, that's what I meant by "off-the-rails".

    redoctober2.png
    SE++ Forum Battle Archive | PDT is not PST | DRUNKSTUCK: A Homestuck recap
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I predicted act 6 would be about the kid versions of the guardians pretty early

    Guessed how Quarters' power worked

    That all 4 kids would hit god tier even when it seemed impossible for jade

    Uhhhh some other things too I think? I dunno who cares

  • ASimPersonASimPerson And they will tremble again at the sound of our silence!Registered User regular
    I have no idea what this recycling thing does, so... does anyone have an OP ready?

    'cause I sure don't.

    redoctober2.png
    SE++ Forum Battle Archive | PDT is not PST | DRUNKSTUCK: A Homestuck recap
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter zoolalia, homicide, יישוב סכסוכים Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    I have no idea what this recycling thing does, so... does anyone have an OP ready?

    'cause I sure don't.

    thread title: HOMESTUCK IS OVER

    op content: deal w/it

    RCmKIvs.gif
    indie_winter on PS4 | @indiewinter on twitter | 3034-4093-8537 on Switch
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Machwing wrote: »
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    You also can't go totally off-the-rails because then you just end up pissing everyone off (see: Mass Effect 3).

    Untrue! You just have to do it in a way where the internal logic of the universe you've built remains consistent. Mass effect fucked that up pretty badly.

    You can totally do a story that ends with the internal logic crumbling apart. In fact with all the meta shit and the wizardy Herbert stuff I'm half expecting homestuck to be a little like that.

    What's more important is that you say something interesting, resonant, and final about your core theme, and leave the characters off in places that make sense given the way their personality engages that theme (for good or for bad).

    That's not great phrasing but its 4 am so fuck it just go read this film critic hulk article instead http://filmcrithulk.wordpress.com/2011/10/11/the-ending-is-the-conceit-james-gunns-super-and-the-art-of-displacement/

    ASimPerson
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    I predicted a bunch of stuff that turned out wrong as wrong can be.

    Like Dad turning out to being required to make bec, or something equally ridiculous that I can't quite recall.

    Your sig was giving an oversized bandwidth exceeded image -mods
  • BucketmanBucketman Dyslexic Puppy Skraggle RockRegistered User regular
    Didn't John die once already? Well twice, once to go God Tier and once when Jack stabbed him?

  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Hussie has joked that killing off John is a homestuck tradition

  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Also that time terezi tricked him into going after the denizen,

    Your sig was giving an oversized bandwidth exceeded image -mods
  • ASimPersonASimPerson And they will tremble again at the sound of our silence!Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Didn't John die once already? Well twice, once to go God Tier and once when Jack stabbed him?

    Well, yeah, but Indie's talkin' a permadeath, presumably via doing something heroic.

    redoctober2.png
    SE++ Forum Battle Archive | PDT is not PST | DRUNKSTUCK: A Homestuck recap
    Geth
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    But people are talking about a more permanent death, and are specifically referencing a line from doc scratch, about how in spite of vriska's best efforts to corrupt him, scratch is still predicting that when John dies it will be a heroic death

    Which personally I just took as scratch offering his opinion on what kind of person John is but you can certainly read it as foreshadowing. Especially if you combine it with Karkat constantly having to remind John that he can't use his immortality for selfless reasons and that johns going to be the shortest lived immortal ever

  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    Death in Homestuck has been de-fanged for quite some time (though I find its version of the afterlife to be deeply unpleasant), but I wouldn't find John (or any of the kids, really) dying narratively compelling.

    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    Smasher wrote: »
    Shen wrote: »
    Dave is really cool in this update, seems like he's matured a lot. Glad to see Rose and Kanaya are still together, though I'm not sure about Rose having a drinking problem - it feels a little contrived.
    Though to be fair she is Roxy's mom/daughter.

    That's the contrivance. I understand her trying booze to understand her mother's perspective, but it developing into full-blown alcoholism despite her situation not really being anything like that of her mother's or Roxy's seems forced. Karkat is right in that alcohol isn't some automatically terrible thing, it's when it starts being detrimental to other aspects of your life that it becomes an issue. That's why we generally weren't uncomfortable with Roxy's habit, as it helped her cope with a shitty situation, and didn't impair her ability to do anything but type.
    From what I've read there seems to be fairly convincing evidence that alcoholism can be genetic. Also, alcoholism is problematic almost by definition, in that having issues with alcohol is pretty much what defines the condition.

    That's not to say that Roxy being an alcoholic automatically makes Rose one, but at the same time it's hardly surprising that she has some issues with it.

  • ASimPersonASimPerson And they will tremble again at the sound of our silence!Registered User regular
    Roxy was able to stop drinking pretty quickly once she got into the game, it seemed like.

    redoctober2.png
    SE++ Forum Battle Archive | PDT is not PST | DRUNKSTUCK: A Homestuck recap
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    Smasher wrote: »
    Shen wrote: »
    Smasher wrote: »
    Shen wrote: »
    Dave is really cool in this update, seems like he's matured a lot. Glad to see Rose and Kanaya are still together, though I'm not sure about Rose having a drinking problem - it feels a little contrived.
    Though to be fair she is Roxy's mom/daughter.

    That's the contrivance. I understand her trying booze to understand her mother's perspective, but it developing into full-blown alcoholism despite her situation not really being anything like that of her mother's or Roxy's seems forced. Karkat is right in that alcohol isn't some automatically terrible thing, it's when it starts being detrimental to other aspects of your life that it becomes an issue. That's why we generally weren't uncomfortable with Roxy's habit, as it helped her cope with a shitty situation, and didn't impair her ability to do anything but type.
    From what I've read there seems to be fairly convincing evidence that alcoholism can be genetic. Also, alcoholism is problematic almost by definition, in that having issues with alcohol is pretty much what defines the condition.

    That's not to say that Roxy being an alcoholic automatically makes Rose one, but at the same time it's hardly surprising that she has some issues with it.

    A predisposition towards something is not an automatic trip to dependency city. It's not surprising precisely because Roxy is her mum but I think that it should still be earned rather than automatic. What reasons does Rose have to become an alcoholic? Stress, boredom, loneliness etc are all possible factors, but honestly those feel like they'd be better attributed to Dave. Rose seems to be in a pretty good place right now.

    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
  • TayaTaya Hit refresh Registered User regular
    Speaker crab

    SeriouslyFCDGoatmonunintentionalLord_AsmodeusKilroyThatDudeOverThereASimPersonDelzhand
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    also I have come to terms with johnxrose not happening

    I am now rooting for johnxroxy

    Welcome to the fold, brother.

    "If anyone tried to steal your WAX LIPS, you would eat their eyeballs and deliver an angry lecture into their empty sockets." Hearts Boxcars, The Midnight Crew
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    @Lord_Asmodeus will create the new thread
    @Shen is backup

    SeriouslyCaulk Bite 6
This discussion has been closed.