As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[nfl] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    The Seahawks are not going to perform as well on the road. The crowd noise is an issue, but in all honesty the biased officiating for the home team is pretty huge for them as well, and has been noticeable since last season. They play noticeably rougher defense when they're at home... I think it's because the referees can barely focus during the game when the opposing team has the ball (due to the noise). All six of their losses last year were on the road, and all of those scores were close games. All of their home wins were by pretty huge margins. I mean, they're a great team, but the home field advantage they have is pretty ridiculous when you look at it.

49ers got away with a ton in the first half, including basically standing right on top of the ball on a 4th and 1 and somehow not getting flagged for a blatant offsides. Or how about last years game against the 49ers where probably the defining hit of the game was Chancellor leveling Vernon Davis in a clean hit that got flagged anyway? I don't know what other NFL teams do, but the Seahawks study tape on whoever the reffing team is going to be to spot their proclivities and play accordingly. That's not them playing loose with the rules, that's them playing smart.

My point wasn't that the other teams don't get no-calls or breaks. In today's NFL you will get a penalty on every single play if you study the tape hard enough. This isn't tit-for-tat penalty day. My point was that the Seahawks get what results in significantly biased officiating at home, probably because of the crowd noise. Every team gets home-field advantage, but with the Seahawks it's hard to argue that they don't get more than the league average. Otherwise why does everyone make such a big deal about the "12th man" when they play in Seattle? You can't have it both ways.

The Seahawks fans are called 12th man because they just make it hard for communication to take place and therefore there is usually a higher number of procedure penalties from the visiting team. That is pretty much it. Not because they get more hard to quantify "home"r calls. The clean hit on Vernon for example happened at home and so did the clean hit on Lee. In actuality we Hawk fans are used to not getting the calls. Anyone remember the Vinny "TD" that was the straw that broke the camels back for instant replay to get reinstated. Yeah that happened to us Hawks.

I would like to add that the 9ers were also playing "rough" as well. The first half was very noticeable before the run game started to take off. There were several missed calls on both sides of the ball that were the tit for tat style but the off sides on 4-1 was pretty unforgivable. The 9ers were late on coverage several times but got the knockdown via going through Hawk receivers and what looked early to me. Bang bang plays I know so whatever. The 15 yarders called on the 9ers were all pretty much accurate IMHO. Your typical lack of focus penalties.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Rg3 only got points in garbage time. Go with Eli. Better QB, better match up, better receivers.

On the other hand: RG3 vs. the Lions + play for the naval yard victims. Lions are going to get crushed.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    The other thing is, you know who gets a huge home field advantage? Teams that suck on the road. Part of the reason the Seahawks stand out is that historically they've been terrible traveling - part of it isn't that the fans effect the other team, but that the home team is actually on its game at home.

The Seahawks used to be a prime example of this but it looks to be changing. A better example might be the other team who played home games there last year, UW. They beat two top 10 teams in that building....and got their asses kicked on the road, including losing to a 1-win WSU team that lost to Colorado. Their home field advantage was less about the fan impact and more about them not being bumbling chucklefucks when they got to play at home.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    We're coming up to the end of the thread soon. I'll remake the thread unless someone else wants to take up the reins. My OP is, well....lacking to say the least.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Goldson fined $100k for his hit on Sproles

Burying the lede here...

Goldson suspension overturned.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    We're coming up to the end of the thread soon. I'll remake the thread unless someone else wants to take up the reins. My OP is, well....lacking to say the least.

You're fine man. You could just include the NFL logo, a bucs fan, and the phrase "here there be football matey" and it would work just fine Dover ;)

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    You might as well just sell out and put that "Wilson as an actual hawk" pic in your OP.

EDIT: Though, IMHO OP needs more Manningface.

Cog on
  • Options
    Cog wrote: »
    You might as well just sell out and put that "Wilson as an actual hawk" pic in your OP.

EDIT: Though, IMHO OP needs more Manningface.

Like this one:
    ku-bigpic.jpg

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Alright cool, I'll take all these suggestions into account and drop some new imagery into the OP. Now's your chance to be heard! Let the most chaotic OP begin!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Rg3 only got points in garbage time. Go with Eli. Better QB, better match up, better receivers.

On the other hand: RG3 vs. the Lions + play for the naval yard victims. Lions are going to get crushed.

Also, the Lions haven't won in Washington in the history of the entire universe. Yeah, not looking great for Detroit this week.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    didn't the seahawks have a year where they went 8-8, 8-0 at home and 0-8 on the road?

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    quovadis13 wrote: »

Also, the Lions haven't won in Washington in the history of the entire universe. Yeah, not looking great for Detroit this week.
    [/quote]
    Washington has looked like garbage though. In terms of VOA (too early for DVOA), they're 2nd to last. DET is -2%, WAS is -45%

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    didn't the seahawks have a year where they went 8-8, 8-0 at home and 0-8 on the road?

I'd believe it. Nothing's too improbable for a Seattle team to manage to do it, especially where "not winning" is involved.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    1230038_10153238720185398_344011646_n_crop_north_crop_north.jpg?w=910&h=506&q=75

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular

You....haven't watched Washington play yet this season, have you? They're bad. Like, Jaguars bad. They could bring the actual US Navy to shell the stadium with battleships while the Lions have the ball and Detroit would still put up 30 on that defense.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    shalmelo wrote: »

You....haven't watched Washington play yet this season, have you? They're bad. Like, Jaguars bad. They could bring the actual US Navy to shell the stadium with battleships while the Lions have the ball and Detroit would still put up 30 on that defense.

Oh, I have. But I have a firm belief that Lions' incompetence (particularly on the road) is competition invariant. Alternately, they're cursed and Megatron will be sprain his ankle tripping on a garden gnome tomorrow.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

You haven't watched the Lions play yet this past half century, have you?

Never has so little been done with so much.

Besides, Bush might be out, Pettigrew hasn't gotten cut, and Stafford hasn't really Stafforded it up yet this year - he's about due.

There is no such thing as a 'sure thing' with the Lions. They will get blown out by a shit team one week, and come down to a field goal against the best team in the league the next week. Any success they have only serves to disappoint us more, as you can't have true disappointment without some hope.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I don't know if this has been posted in here or not, so my apologies if it has. If you don't live where your team is from, this site is really helpful for determining if your game will be televised locally or not: http://506sports.com/

After 10 years of having to go to an over-priced sports bar ($0.38/oz for beer) to watch my game, it's nice when I get to actually enjoy one in the comfort of my own home ($0.08/oz for beer). Anywho, it's not 100% accurate, but it's only been off once which means it's pretty damn reliable.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    The Seahawks are not going to perform as well on the road. The crowd noise is an issue, but in all honesty the biased officiating for the home team is pretty huge for them as well, and has been noticeable since last season. They play noticeably rougher defense when they're at home... I think it's because the referees can barely focus during the game when the opposing team has the ball (due to the noise). All six of their losses last year were on the road, and all of those scores were close games. All of their home wins were by pretty huge margins. I mean, they're a great team, but the home field advantage they have is pretty ridiculous when you look at it.

49ers got away with a ton in the first half, including basically standing right on top of the ball on a 4th and 1 and somehow not getting flagged for a blatant offsides. Or how about last years game against the 49ers where probably the defining hit of the game was Chancellor leveling Vernon Davis in a clean hit that got flagged anyway? I don't know what other NFL teams do, but the Seahawks study tape on whoever the reffing team is going to be to spot their proclivities and play accordingly. That's not them playing loose with the rules, that's them playing smart.

My point wasn't that the other teams don't get no-calls or breaks. In today's NFL you will get a penalty on every single play if you study the tape hard enough. This isn't tit-for-tat penalty day. My point was that the Seahawks get what results in significantly biased officiating at home, probably because of the crowd noise. Every team gets home-field advantage, but with the Seahawks it's hard to argue that they don't get more than the league average. Otherwise why does everyone make such a big deal about the "12th man" when they play in Seattle? You can't have it both ways.

The 12th man advantage isn't officiating; its morale.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Also, with everyone down on the Redskins, it's time for them to show some life.

Alternatively, Suh will Theismann RG3. The dirtiness of the play will be disputed, but either way Suh will be fined eleventy million dollars.

• Options
    :shock:
    iPze6mK.png

• Options
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    I don't know if this has been posted in here or not, so my apologies if it has. If you don't live where your team is from, this site is really helpful for determining if your game will be televised locally or not: http://506sports.com/

After 10 years of having to go to an over-priced sports bar ($0.38/oz for beer) to watch my game, it's nice when I get to actually enjoy one in the comfort of my own home ($0.08/oz for beer). Anywho, it's not 100% accurate, but it's only been off once which means it's pretty damn reliable.

Yeah, I'm an Eagles fan living in Seattle and I've been using that site for years.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    iPze6mK.png

well you have to admit it's pretty rude they yell over the nice young men trying to talk to each other

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    iPze6mK.png

Little known fact: this is a rule in college.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvIAdsh5_aI

Still on the books, though never, ever enforced.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    Please take the Browns away again. Jesus.

• Options
    fortis wrote: »
    Please take the Browns away again. Jesus.

Leaders for Clowney now though.

• Options
    Mr. PokeylopeMr. Pokeylope Registered User regular
    Well I just completed a trade for Trent Richardson and he gets traded to the colts. How fucked am I?

• Options
    They'll go QB. Weeden's time is pretty much up already.

• Options
    It was a rule once in the NFL too and used for one game before they realized how stupid it was.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Well I just completed a trade for Trent Richardson and he gets traded to the colts. How fucked am I?

You traded FOR Richardson? You're fine. Probably better off, because Colts opponents won't be putting 9 guys in the box to stop him.

Me? I'm fucked. MJD and Ahmad Bradshaw are my #2 and #3 RBs.

shalmelo on
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    "Well we have a talented RB, and the potential to have an early 1rst round pick so that we could pick up a promising QB to compliment that fact, but hell lets get rid of the RB so that we can have two rookies start next year."

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options

No, they'll go Clowney unless they're completely insane. Teddy Bridgewater is good, but Clowney is a terrifying murderbeast who totally alters everyone's game plan (run far away from Clowney) and would have been the #1 pick in last year's draft as a true sophomore if he had been eligible.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »

You haven't watched the Lions play yet this past half century, have you?

Never has so little been done with so much.

Besides, Bush might be out, Pettigrew hasn't gotten cut, and Stafford hasn't really Stafforded it up yet this year - he's about due.

There is no such thing as a 'sure thing' with the Lions. They will get blown out by a shit team one week, and come down to a field goal against the best team in the league the next week. Any success they have only serves to disappoint us more, as you can't have true disappointment without some hope.

Yeah, this is still the same Lions team that last year went into Arizona, a team that itself lost 58-0 in its previous game, and then proceeded to lose 38-10. Nothing is guaranteed. There will be no counting their chickens before they hatch. This seemingly easy game to win will only be won when the clock reaches 0, not beforehand.

• Options

No, they'll go Clowney unless they're completely insane. Teddy Bridgewater is good, but Clowney is a terrifying murderbeast who totally alters everyone's game plan (run far away from Clowney) and would have been the #1 pick in last year's draft as a true sophomore if he had been eligible.

The defense is already good enough to keep the Browns in games. They need a solid QB to do something with the offense, which is about one of the worst in the NFL right now.

• Options

The defense is already good enough to keep the Browns in games. They need a solid QB to do something with the offense, which is about one of the worst in the NFL right now.

Then they would be dumb. This isn't fair to Bridgewater, but if the choice was Jamarcus Russell or Megatron. You take Megatron and don't reach for a QB.

Bridgewater is more Sam Bradford than Jamarcus though. I expect he'll be a solid but not spectacular NFL starter.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I understand that if you don't have a QB you're screwed, but...how confident are you that Bridgewater is really top 10 QB and not the next Leinhart or Sanchez? Because you'd better be pretty damn confident before you make that pick.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

Then they would be dumb. This isn't fair to Bridgewater, but if the choice was Jamarcus Russell or Megatron. You take Megatron and don't reach for a QB.

Bridgewater is more Sam Bradford than Jamarcus though. I expect he'll be a solid but not spectacular NFL starter.

I enjoy the Sam Bradford comparison, because he was drafted over a terrifying murderbeast of a defensive lineman, who everyone agreed (until they tried to make a debate about it) was the best player in country by far.

Granted, Suh was a DT, but still some amusing parallels there.

• Options
    Bobble wrote: »

I enjoy the Sam Bradford comparison, because he was drafted over a terrifying murderbeast of a defensive lineman, who everyone agreed (until they tried to make a debate about it) was the best player in country by far.

Granted, Suh was a DT, but still some amusing parallels there.

I would have used it (I was initially using Bradford vs. Megatron but forgot which draft Bradford was in, apparently), but Suh's head is so far up his own ass it's not quite as obvious he should gone #1.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Also, as someone with a shitty RB situation in fantasy that was actually starting Ahmad Bradshaw... fuck.

• Options
    Who's to say Clowney is all he's cracked up to be?

I'd like to point to Courtney Brown. Played at Penn State. Broke the record for most sacks and tackles for a loss. Browns draft him #1 and where is he now? Who knows because he got injured and only lasted 5 years in the NFL, playing in 61 total games.