As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Patrick Klepek Appreciation Station

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Also Uncharted is making me really hope that Tomb Raider turns out to be good.

Because it looks like it could be great.

But I just can't shake this worry.

At the very least, it'll be interesting

Every time they "reinvent" Tomb Raider, it's always interesting, even if it doesn't turn out particularly well

People shit all over Angel of Darkness, perhaps rightly so, but you could tell they actually tried changing it up severely with that game

And Tomb Raider Legend is straight up one of my favorite games ever

That newest trailer has me so damn excited

Tomb Raider Legend and Underworld were both a lot of fun. And Guardian of Light, too, which I'm tempted to call one of this generation's most overlooked great games.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    You know, Patrick Klepek is the real sexist in all of this, all keepin all that sex for himself all up in that man bod of his.

No I don't.
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    So tell me about these Vinnys

http://i.minus.com/iJykbf23Ni8ft.gif

Sometimes the GB forums get it right

This is like the opposite of those people that "check in" to see if Patrick is in a video

Stilts wrote: »
    Tomb Raider Legend and Underworld were both a lot of fun. And Guardian of Light, too, which I'm tempted to call one of this generation's most overlooked great games.

Why, I overlooked it just now!

(It is pretty damn great. I remember I was like the only one excited for that game and everyone was all "isometric Tomb Raider game?" and I was "THAT SOUNDS AWESOME YOU IDIOTS GOD" and then it was)

I don't even understand what all the hate for Patrick is all about. I only started paying attention to Giant bomb in late 2011, so I guess I missed something. Why do people have a problem with him to the extent they do? He seems to be the one who really pushes interesting indie games.

No I don't.
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular

This is like the opposite of those people that "check in" to see if Patrick is in a video

holy shit, that gif

can I have some more?

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    God damn it every single Flight Club thing these guys every do is incredible

just now watching the Unprofessional Friday feature of it from this friday. so great. it's amazing to see everyone else flinching and patrick literally holding his head as Vinny tries to take off from the ground

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    the dumbassery of Tomb Raider's producer doesn't shake my faith in how good that game looks to be

PNk1Ml4.png

holy shit, that gif

can I have some more?

I don't really go delving deep into the comments

It was front and center on the Bradley May Cry comment section though, that's where I saw it

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I'm very concerned that Tomb Raider will turn out to be as tone deaf and stupid as Far Cry 3 was, just in a completely different direction

I do hope I'm wrong, because at its best that game has looked pretty impressive

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    Well at the very least Rihanna Pratchett doesn't seem up her own ass as much as the Far Cry 3 dude is

Only thing that bothers me about the whole Rhianna Pratchett thing is that the only work of hers I've been exposed to is Mirror's Edge

Guess what was the only objectively bad thing about that game!

I'm not sure you're entirely familiar with what the term "objectively" refers to

not that I'm familiar with Mirror's Edge's story one way or the other

just

someone out there likes it

Only thing that bothers me about the whole Rhianna Pratchett thing is that the only work of hers I've been exposed to is Mirror's Edge

Guess what was the only objectively bad thing about that game!

The marketing?

No I don't.
    Geth liked it.

No I don't.
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I don't even understand what all the hate for Patrick is all about. I only started paying attention to Giant bomb in late 2011, so I guess I missed something. Why do people have a problem with him to the extent they do? He seems to be the one who really pushes interesting indie games.

well you see the problem with patrick is

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    I'm not sure you're entirely familiar with what the term "objectively" refers to

not that I'm familiar with Mirror's Edge's story one way or the other

just

someone out there likes it

Fair enough

I just have simply yet to meet anyone who likes it

Death of Rats what was wrong with the marketing? It had fantastic trailers and really great music featured in the trailers

Unless you just mean a lack of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TERyxFfMqDk

The problem with Patrick is that "gamers" are typically men, and men are very bad about their old boy's clubs. Introducing a new face to the perceived traditional values of your old boy's club is very disturbing. So a lot of people don't like him. They're silly.

Pretty much the lack of it. The fact that the game sold so poorly, even though it was a shining example of doing things differently in all the right ways makes me think the marketing must have been part of the problem.

No I don't.
    Look how at home he is in that boy's club though!

2092506-tumblr_lpburc6vv61qd0ejwo1_500_1_.jpg

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular

- He's the newest member of GB
    - He's young
    - He likes indie games
    - He's willing to cover actual issues in the industry like sexism

You have before you the fuel that sustains Patrick haters.

• ThePrimmThePrimm Registered User regular
    As they talked about it on unprofessional fridays Mirror's Edge should've never came out in November of that year.

Also jealousy

mad jealous of that man myself

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    simulacrum wrote: »
    Give those monkeys fedoras and you'll have a more accurate picture.
    What was I thinking
    TxadRng.jpg

YL9WnCY.png
    You know, I wish they'd acknowledge how awful their community has been about all this shit on the podcast or something. They have a soapbox, and even if they don't like to use it, they should set the record straight as far as their views on this shit. I was really disappointed when they didn't cover the torso issue in the podcast. You'd think Brad or Vinny or Jeff or Ryan would have something to say to their audience about how they've been handling this shit. No jokes, but straight talk... like they did when the Eurogamer shit was going on.

No I don't.
    As a brony, I

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Somebody with Tweeting powers should link Patrick to this OP for the feel-good vibes.

Done and done

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Guys my friend was playing a doom 2 mod that let's you do melee assassination kills if you sneak up zombies, dodge, and adds physics to the corpses.

It's insane.

You know, I wish they'd acknowledge how awful their community has been about all this shit on the podcast or something. They have a soapbox, and even if they don't like to use it, they should set the record straight as far as their views on this shit. I was really disappointed when they didn't cover the torso issue in the podcast. You'd think Brad or Vinny or Jeff or Ryan would have something to say to their audience about how they've been handling this shit. No jokes, but straight talk... like they did when the Eurogamer shit was going on.

It's not the podcast, but Jeff answered a question on his tumblr like this recently
    Our audience skews sort of young, so it’s sort of tragic to see, but you have to hope that some people will eventually grow out of attitudes like that.

I certainly had a lot of dumb ideas about how the world should work when I was a kid, and understand the desire to lash out at perceived threats that look like they might shake up the things I love. Match that with the relative anonymity of the internet and a young man’s desire to be shocking and/or destructive and you get what we’ve got.

I used to just post the vilest shit possible to BBSes. Eventually a few groups of us banded together and launched our own boards where no one could tell us what to say and do. It just became this echo chamber of stupidity that was sort of fun at the time and provided a tight, closed environment for it. At some point you either get it out of your system or you don’t, I guess?

signature-deffo.jpg
    Done and done

Noice.

• HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular

- He's the newest member of GB
    - He's young
    - He likes indie games
    - He's willing to cover actual issues in the industry like sexism

You have before you the fuel that sustains Patrick haters.

Patrick kinda reminds me of a successful version of that one chubby intern they had. Can't remember his name but I know he did the quick look to EDF: Insect Armageddon.

steam_sig.png
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Matt Kessler?

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    Maybe. I dunno. I don't remember his name.

steam_sig.png
    Kessler has potential based on what I saw of him, especially his Starfox 3DS review. Everybody has to start somewhere (case in point: Giant Bomb's younger photos).

Not gonna lie, Jeff and Ryan dumping on the interns was my least favourite part of the site, and I saw a lot of it when I started watching their videos.

Yeah but the interns were in on the joke

only Kessler took it hard, and none of that was from the stuff we all saw, it was off screen stuff that Ryan later apologized for

I could tell that a lot of it was playful, even funny, it just struck a nerve at the time.

I still miss the Fear Gauntlet

Kessler and Steve had a real chemistry building there that was all kinds of fun, since they didn't feel intimidated by each other

Also eff the haters Kessler was awesome. Best GB intern, way better than that other guy who said "full of win" unironically once

signature-deffo.jpg
    Yeah intimidation is another big factor. We can all sit here and daydream about working for GB, but actually being on camera next to the team? Even as somebody who actually loves public speaking, that would be scary.

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    they're minor internet celebrities. I think they do good work, but they're just guys who write stuff on the internet.

This discussion has been closed.