Options

Dead Space 3: Now With 30% More Lens Flare

• Options
    NothingNothing ( •︵•) Registered User regular
    I guess now is as good a time as any to look into this series. This game's going to make me pee my pants, isn't it?

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    But seriously, fuck the last stretch of Dead Space 2.

Aside from a few obvious spots, it was utter garbage.

I love that game, but I hate it when devs decide that 'oh it's the end of the game let's throw everything ever at you plus some extra bullshit to make it hard'

It is such an annoying cop-out

Why can't the end section of a game be something new and fun, instead of a 'kitchen sink' approach to amp up the "difficulty"

One of the best examples of what I want to see more of is the end stretch of MGS3

It introduced a few new mechanics, was refreshing, and fun as hell

what the

the ending of DS2 is fucking great

it's godamn terrifying

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I dunno, I found it overly annoying and not scary in the least

The game was so good up until that point, that I was honestly shocked that they decided to get that lazy at the end

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Also, is someone able to explain the nature of the Marker? It never made sense to me.

It is shown to be both the cause of and solution to the necromorph problem, and I don't get it

Tasteticle on

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Also, is someone able to explain the nature of the Marker to me? It never made sense to me.

It is shown to be both the cause of and solution to the necromorph problem, and I don't get it

mass effect fields.

• Options
    Ah yes, "Necromorphs"

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    There actually is an explanation of what each marker does

It is still convoluted and doesn't explain everything about them since they are supposed to sort of be this big mysterious thing

But I was pretty shocked at how deep that stuff goes

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Baffled by the hate of Dead Space 2's endgame.

The Regenerator is the most terrifying goddamn thing in that game.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    i love the end of dead space 2

but goddamn i hate regenerators

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    regenerators are bullshit.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I hate love the regenerators

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    friendly dead space 3 tip: you can craft torque bars at the bench, which let you open the equivalent of power node doors in this game. as far as i know, they can only be obtained at the bench. i've just always made sure i had one crafted. like power node doors, usually the contents inside offset the cost of crafting

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    Might trade some stuff in to pick this up. Maybe borderlands 2 and far cry 3.

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I now own this game.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Okay I did some internet learning and here is what I have on the marker, up to but not including Dead Space 3
    The original Marker was black, and fell to earth on the comet that killed the dinosaurs. Research was done to it. Very Bad Things happened. The main dude researching it was later killed by the government, after sinking the marker into the sea. All of this secrecy and whatnot lead to the religion of Unitology around the marker.

The studies on the black marker lead to the red marker in dead space 1. It was placed on that planet to study the effects it had on people in a more isolated environment. It gets moved, necromorphs happen. It gets put back, necromorphs die.

It seems to be communicating on two levels at once. One filling people with desire to help the marker, and the other with desire for protection from the marker. On most people these messages are lost and it just drives them insane. Other people like Isaac, however, are able to communicate with it and it imprints it's design into the brain of that person with a desire to replicate.

This leads to the big marker in dead space 2, built from Isaac's and others brains. This marker behaves in much the same way, except it has the end goal of 'convergence'. Whatever the hell this actually means is anyone’s guess as Isaac stops that from happening.

So to sum it up it seems the Marker is a self contradicting device (both able to create and destroy, asking for help while also wishing to be left alone), with the desire to replicate - it's ultimate goal being 'convergence' or 'to become something better'.

Honestly it sounds a lot like people

Did I get that right?

Tasteticle on

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    My experience with the last twenty minutes of Dead Space 2, not including the boss fight: FUCK, FUCK, FUCK, RUN, RUN, DAMN IT, WHY WON'T THIS DOOR OPEN, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Also, I am PHENOMENALLY offended by the number of people who posted in Orik's thread and not this one.*

(*Though Orik is cooler than me, so I guess it makes sense.)

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Okay I did some internet learning and here is what I have on the marker, up to but not including Dead Space 3
    The original Marker was black, and fell to earth on the comet that killed the dinosaurs. Research was done to it. Very Bad Things happened. The main dude researching it was later killed by the government, after sinking the marker into the sea. All of this secrecy and whatnot lead to the religion of Unitology around the marker.

The studies on the black marker lead to the red marker in dead space 1. It was placed on that planet to study the effects it had on people in a more isolated environment. It gets moved, necromorphs happen. It gets put back, necromorphs die.

It seems to be communicating on two levels at once. One filling people with desire to help the marker, and the other with desire for protection from the marker. On most people these messages are lost and it just drives them insane. Other people like Isaac, however, are able to communicate with it and it imprints it's design into the brain of that person with a desire to replicate.

This leads to the big marker in dead space 2, built from Isaac's and others brains. This marker behaves in much the same way, except it has the end goal of 'convergence'. Whatever the hell this actually means is anyone’s guess as Isaac stops that from happening.

So to sum it up it seems the Marker is a self contradicting device (both able to create and destroy, asking for help while also wishing to be left alone), with the desire to replicate - it's ultimate goal being 'convergence' or 'to become something better'.

Did I get that right?

THE MARKER IS PEOPLE

IT'S PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    to be fair

what are children but monsters born of our flesh

• Options

Did I get that right?

pretty much
    the main sort of mystery still standing about the markers is their purpose. obviously they propagate the necromorph genetic sequence, and seem to be working towards whatever convergence is

but like you said, the marker in dead space 1 was 100% trying to get isaac to place the marker back on the pedestal, which ceases the necromorph outbreak and puts the hivemind to sleep. the marker in dead space 2 does just the opposite, it wants the spread of the necromorph infection so it can initiate convergence

the most i can think to explain the contradictory messages the markers send to people is that all the markers we've interacted with thus far have been man made, inexact copies of the original.

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    i'm equal parts impressed and disappointed by dead space 3 so far.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    my copy wont be here till Friday looks like

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Those who hate regenerators will very much hate several parts of Dead Space 3.

Although, the goddamn creepiest enemy award goes to
    these rail thin little clicking necros that were people who were starving to death and ate necromorph flesh. The sounds they make... shudder. Fucking hell, I think clicking sounds might be the thing that gets under my skin the most.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Baffled by the hate of Dead Space 2's endgame.

The Regenerator is the most terrifying goddamn thing in that game.

Nah. The DS2 Regenerator has nothing on the DS1 Regenerator.

For whatever reason, I haven't ever found the DS2 Regenerator very scary. There's that one room where you need to hack a panel with the Regenerator right there, but that's basically more annoying than scary for me. It's there, I can see it, I can stop it long enough to do what I need to do. I don't find that scary. It's frightening when I don't know where it is, where I can just hear it coming, or see hints of it. From the time at which the Hunter is frozen in DS until the time it appears again, you sometimes see glimpses of it or hear it in the distance, and that's scary as hell, knowing it could pop out at any time. Even while running from it, the same things apply - the tight, cramped, dim hallways of DS did a lot more to amp up the fear than the bright, wide open spaces of the end of DS2.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Also, is someone able to explain the nature of the Marker? It never made sense to me.

It's unknown where the markers originally came form, but it is known that there is some powerful force at work, imposing its will on anyone who has ever come into contact with any marker signal.

It wants people to make more of them, and basically forces people to either just go nuts and kill each other to help create more necros, or compels the more intelligent folks around it to build more markers.

We don't yet know where the markers originally came from, or what greater purpose they have, if any.

There is also some inconsistency with the markers in 1 and 2 both having different purposes.

The red marker from the first game seemed to just want to be put back into place, which was supposed to imprison the necromorphs in the first place. Its presence in Isaac's mind seems to be almost benign, as it appears interested in keeping things contained. This also fits with the animated film that came out right when the first game released, that showed the marker repelliong necromorphs like a force field, for some reason, which could explain how it was originally containing them in the first place.

But in the second game, it seems to be a more malevolent entity that wants to kill everyone. It's a bit weird.

And now, some backstory.

The black marker on earth was discovered centuries ago, and unknown to the public the government built another one on Aegis 7.

The original necromorphs (that we know of) were actually the result of some scientists studying the markings of the red marker and discovering that it is some sort of genetic code. At one point while attempting to recreate this genetic material, the two scientists involved became the first necromophs and they very quickly turned everyone they could into more, and the mess spread out of control, which led to Aegis 7 being quarantined and the entire sector of space becoming a restricted area.

We know by the end of Dead Space 2 that this mysterious power has heavy influence in the earth's government, as there is mention of other science teams making markers of their own.

I don't remember if it is explicitly mentioned, but it was pretty strongly implied that the outbreak in Titan Station in DS2 was caused when the new marker they built on Titan Station affected the dormant necromorphs left over on the Ishimura after the red marker was destroyed.

According to an audio log, they discovered that the remaining creatures on the ship all basically turned to goo when the marker that caused them went kaput, but then reanimated when in proximity of the signal from the new marker. From there they probably broke into Titan station, and then started killing everyone, which is where the second game begins.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »

these rail thin little clicking necros that were people who were starving to death and ate necromorph flesh. The sounds they make... shudder. Fucking hell, I think clicking sounds might be the thing that gets under my skin the most.

Yyyyep.

Early-game spoilers:
    When I was doing that Tetris-y minigame with the cargo to unblock the tram and got to the last one, I initially grinned when I saw a Necromorph sealed in the last batch of cargo.

"Okay, that's pretty clever," I thought.

Then I took a closer look.

"Wait...is...is that what I think it is? Oh no. OH NO. NONONONONO!"

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Also, what weapon combos have people been using?

I've got a force gun+line gun and a plasma cutter+smg.

It's been working pretty darn well so far. I don't even miss the ability to rotate my cutter that much.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »

Yyyyep.

Early-game spoilers:
    When I was doing that Tetris-y minigame with the cargo to unblock the tram and got to the last one, I initially grinned when I saw a Necromorph sealed in the last batch of cargo.

"Wait...is...is that what I think it is? Oh no. OH NO. NONONONONO!"

yuuuuup
    i was just sort of blasting through those by that point, so i didn't notice until it was already on its way up

just all "wait was that-" CONTAMINATION FOUND BLAH BLAH BLAH "oh are you fucking kidding me"

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Arrrggh, somebody make this unlock earlier in Australia.

• Options
    I'm getting tired of the 'stand your ground' objectives. Pleased at the length of the optional missions though.

• Options
    the optional missions have really been great, yeah

now that i'm on the planet though... yeah a lot of my fears of the environments being really boring have kind of come true. things are a lot more interesting in the early game, i think

in the middle of like chapter 10 right now

• Options
    I crafted a chain lighting/pulse rifle combo and I am no longer upset at the stand your ground objectives.

Wish I had Gold and a co-op partner. I can see that being fun.

• Options
    i got enough resources for mjolnir so

fuck yeah

• Options
    i got enough resources for mjolnir so

fuck yeah

• Options
    I got surprised by a boss fight, so that's enough of that for now.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Arrrggh, somebody make this unlock earlier in Australia.

Also make this not cost a million billion dollars.

broken image link
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Stilts wrote: »

Yyyyep.

Early-game spoilers:

"Wait...is...is that what I think it is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IXCK1EyP4s

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    well, found a new weapon that seems to just make every fight easy
    hammond's heavy frame + military engine + evangelizer carbine tip. far as i can tell, maxed out damage and clip size with a respectable reload and rate of fire. just, damn

• Options
    Aside from Ellie this game seems great so far. I'm only up to Chapter 4 because Origin decided it wanted to download at only 400k last night.

But what the fuck did they do to Ellie?

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I still haven't had a chance to play this game...GRRRRRR!