Options

Dead Space 3: Now With 30% More Lens Flare

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    I used the map all the time in the first dead space

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    I used the map a lot in dead space because there was a lot of backtracking through areas and I didn't quite grasp the "push in the stick and we will give you a line to follow on the ground" concept

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I don't like that they moved away from numerical stats for weapons to nebulous stat bars

Does a maxed damage plasma cutter do the same damage as a maxed damage javelin gun? In previous games you could see the difference in numbers

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    So far I feel like this game excels as a coop experience. There are many segments that might have felt frustrating solo where having a teammate to vent with and discuss strategy has been great. It is not very difficult with two people, even on impossible, but for a first playthrough it is still challenging enough to be fun.

High point so far was
    entering the atmosphere with the shuttle. It worked so well for me and my friend playing together, frantically trying to figure out the controls as mines and debris came hurtling towards the shuttle while shouting at one another to fly/shoot better. Just a great action segment, though I could see some people not caring for it.

In other news, running through a snowstorm while freezing to death and being attacked by sandworm people with no objective marker is pretty annoying.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I guess I immerse myself in a game's world/environment to a fault, because it takes a really shitty game for me to even notice repetitive level design. These industrial facilities on Tau Volantis are all manufactured by the same corporation, it makes sense they would have a similar aesthetic.

Aliens jumping out of the snow is just the new reality I have to deal with. It's not annoying so much as a change in how enemies appear. Just as an example. That elevator fried out on me because I'm on this god-forsaken ice planet and I'm cranking generators just to stay warm. Of course, shit's gonna fry out on me.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    This game was definitely designed around co-op, to be sure.

Speaking of which, who wants to New Game+ co-op with me?

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't think it's greed so much as EA's complete inability to keep the same people at Visceral over time. Each game has a new creative lead, art director, etc - I wouldn't be surprised if most of the team changes between games.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Theres going to be some ass that says at some planning meeting
    "HEY what we doing here...dead space? love it! love it! you know what this IP needs? Multiplayer!! CO-OP! People loved it in gears of war! "
    "Isnt that monster moving a little slow? not very action packed is it!"
    "You know what this game needs? A SHOTGUN!"

I was frankly rather pissed to see shotgun as an available weapon. I dont want a friggin gun i could buy at walmart, i want a gun that shoots spears that first electrocutes everything around it then EXPLODES.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    I honestly think that it's people who don't really know how to make horror & default to "fun" as the metric. Horror isn't fun, so we end up with this game that has the dead space name but is really just a critter shooter.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    So when you're on the big ship with the tram, if you take the tram to the mid section and back to the fore section, I guess you're pretty much stuck there forever because there's no way to call the tram back from the fore station.

This happened to me as well, except when I chose to restart at a checkpoint it put me right after you clear the tram tracks

And I had just finished Conning Tower too

Heh. I tried that and the screen still didn't come up. I exited out of the ga,e and restarted and it put me back to just before the first time you call the tram. And I had just finished the conning tower, too.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I don't think it's greed so much as EA's complete inability to keep the same people at Visceral over time. Each game has a new creative lead, art director, etc - I wouldn't be surprised if most of the team changes between games.

Yeah, there have been quite a few AAA titles/series that have had that problem and subsequently suffered for it. I think Dead Space 3 was one of those, but in the same way it kinda wasn't. It kept things fresh up to the end, which was great, but never really recaptured that sense of urgency I felt in the previous two titles.

I'd say this series has turned out kind of like Nolan's Batman movies did: peaked in the middle, but kinda dipped at the end such that you still feel satisfied, if just a bit let down.

That said, I've enjoyed the SHIT out of this game from beginning to end, and would love to do another playthrough on Co-Op.

Any takers? Anyone?

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    "You know what this game needs? A SHOTGUN!"

I was frankly rather pissed to see shotgun as an available weapon. I dont want a friggin gun i could buy at walmart, i want a gun that shoots spears that first electrocutes everything around it then EXPLODES.

I will hear no disparaging words against the Dead Space 3 shotgun. The only thing wrong with the shotgun is that, were I to have a gun that is two shotguns, I can't both fire and alt-fire at the same time.

Other than that, the shotgun attachment is the icing on the weapon crafting cake.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Argh!! I hate this auto save junk! Finished first side mission.... baby brother comes along and ejects the disc. I was like no sweat, I saw the game auto save a couple minutes ago so I'll just reboot the game. Nope... I have to re do the entire mission again!! I don't get it D:

Armoroc on
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    Plasma cutter and flamethrower with acid buff is legit. Good job necro you made it past my cutter, now have some acidfire.

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    I honestly think that it's people who don't really know how to make horror & default to "fun" as the metric. Horror isn't fun, so we end up with this game that has the dead space name but is really just a critter shooter.

See, I'd argue that the first two games were critter shooters as well, but the story and gameplay mechanics did a much better job of conveying an atmosphere of horror.

DS3 just plays around with more action oriented set pieces, so it undermines the atmosphere of horror, while still managing to present a strong game.

Though I'll leave it to you to tell me whether or not I'm full of it.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Shooting youself with a stasis rocket luancher because you forget you swapped it with the plasma core with the aoe tip is funny.

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    Okay so this game is pretty good but it is so not what I wanted

Oh well I guess! I am excited to see where the story goes, at least.

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    I think a fair comparison I could make here would be DS 3 is like RE 4 to me. The horror elements take a backseat to more action and shooting. That being said I am enjoying the hell out of this game.

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options

See, I'd argue that the first two games were critter shooters as well, but the story and gameplay mechanics did a much better job of conveying an atmosphere of horror.

DS3 just plays around with more action oriented set pieces, so it undermines the atmosphere of horror, while still managing to present a strong game.

it's a misleading comparison. much as i'd like it to be there, there is no horror genre. the most we get is games that want to be kinda unnerving, and dead space 3 isn't even that.

you shot things in the 1st game, but a lot of dead space is about running, survival, and being hopelessly outmatched. it's exhilarating, but it's not fun. you moved slowly, aimed slowly, and the game proceeded at a deliberate pace. starting with 2 they began focusing on the aiming and movement because it was a big problem for the reviewers, and so it necessarily became resident evil 4 inch by inch.

also, whew, is this ending a stinker imo

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular

it's a misleading comparison. much as i'd like it to be there, there is no horror genre. the most we get is games that want to be kinda unnerving, and dead space 3 isn't even that.

you shot things in the 1st game, but a lot of dead space is about running, survival, and being hopelessly outmatched. it's exhilarating, but it's not fun. you moved slowly, aimed slowly, and the game proceeded at a deliberate pace. starting with 2 they began focusing on the aiming and movement because it was a big problem for the reviewers, and so it necessarily became resident evil 4 inch by inch.

That's lunacy. It's great.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Pharezon wrote: »

Different strokes for different folks, more at 11...

• Options

I will end you.

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular

I will end you.

Vs0RS9u.gif

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

So they overshot RE4 and ended up pulling an RE5 here? Because 2 was definitely RE4 in space and was fantastic.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    i don't know anything about RE5.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    i don't know anything about RE5.

It had awful controls and was built for co-op, robbing it of all creepiness.

broken image link
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    It took everything in Re4 and tried to improve it only to make things awful.
    I had a big list but basically it made things more complex where they didn't need to be, added turret sections , and the co-op added nothing of value.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    It took everything in Re4 and tried to improve it only to make things awful.
    I had a big list but basically it made things more complex where they didn't need to be, added turret sections , and the co-op added nothing of value.

Yeah re5 was not good

Nikolai on
    xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    On the subject of turret sections, what have you people thought about the minigame event sections so far? Both co op and single player.
    For me and my friend the luggage puzzle section made was rather frustrating since the puzzling player was arbitrarily glued to the puzzle for no good reason while the fighting character repeatedly got killed by two players worth of monsters.

I personally loved the flying/turret section though. Action filled and the unavoidable obstacles blended in well.

Vic on
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular

Horror is plenty fun.

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    So i missed a tungsten locked door. To get it, all i have to do is pick the chapter it was in and then i can go back to my current playthrough with no harm done when im ready?

• Options
    Kaplar wrote: »

Horror is plenty fun.

Not in the traditional game design sense of flow states and reward. Horror is intrinsically alienating and uncomfortable.

• Options
    Armoroc wrote: »
    So i missed a tungsten locked door. To get it, all i have to do is pick the chapter it was in and then i can go back to my current playthrough with no harm done when im ready?

Seems like it. Then again I am pretty sure there are several checkpoints in the game that are just before tungsten locks, so you could probably use any one of them as a way to turn any amount of tungsten keys into whatever crap is in there. The save game system does not save the world state, just your inventory.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    bunch of RE5 haters all up in. that game was a ton of fun

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    man i love crafting. that in combination with universal ammo has really opened up the game for me to try new weapons just for kicks. never did that much in the first two, just found the guns i liked and stuck with that

but now i just crafted a high powered revolver with a blowtorch attached because WHY NOT

• Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    i wonder if damage is scaling. the game's design and the aggro of the monsters jumps around depending on how you move through the room in co-op. single player on normal needed some work in terms of balancing the health packs with the fact you're not gonna be crafting them into soma that early on.

its sort of a different beast than say, a straight horror but i'd argue those bits are still there in co-op. like, there will be a weak link between the two of you, or one of you will excel at the puzzles while the other really sucks ass at covering you while doing the puzzles or vice versa

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    also, when i saw ellie's tit shirt i kinda facepalmed for a good three minutes

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    im of the mind that ellie shoulda been your co-op partner and that the plot shouldnt hinge on isaac pining for her unless it leads to horrible, dark shit

like i'd like to play a 4 player deadspace wherein you kinda go in groups of two through really big areas, doing shit and interacting with your crew and maybe hey one of you goes insane and nobody knows but you

• Options
    hopefully next month when i move i'll be able to do this game co op. i'd really like to, it seems like this game was really built for that playthrough and does some interesting things with it

in other news i just hit chapter 15
    isaac's VA fucking nails the scene right after ellie dies

the move from almost being crushed by grief to being completely motivated by unconsolable rage was done really well

man i love the guy who voices isaac

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    im of the mind that ellie shoulda been your co-op partner and that the plot shouldnt hinge on isaac pining for her unless it leads to horrible, dark shit

like i'd like to play a 4 player deadspace wherein you kinda go in groups of two through really big areas, doing shit and interacting with your crew and maybe hey one of you goes insane and nobody knows but you

One day we'll have squad based co-op

Which would be awesome.