NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    Ok lemme pop my game and see what its actually called

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    Plasma core with the diffraction torus

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    It works like the contact beam's alt fire in 2

Only problem is it chews through ammo with gusto

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I played some co-op with a friend last night, and we did our first co-op sidequest.

I kinda wish I had started the game playing co-op, 'cuz the way they integrate your partner into the plot is pretty clever at times.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    I'm kinda put off by the combat in this game. It seems like the classic horror game mechanics are there, but with the speed and number of enemies cranked up to action game levels. On top of that, I'm up to the mountain climbing section, so every enemy is black, and sometimes the force gun doesn't even work at all.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I'm kinda put off by the combat in this game. It seems like the classic horror game mechanics are there, but with the speed and number of enemies cranked up to action game levels. On top of that, I'm up to the mountain climbing section, so every enemy is black, and sometimes the force gun doesn't even work at all.

Yeah, the Force gun is...not good in this game.

It doesn't seem to knock the enemies back as much, and its damage is terrible even when I've stuffed it with as much +Damage chips as I can.

It's a shame, because the Force gun was my favorite in DS2.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    I do, however, enjoy the lovecraft thing going on here. The Roanoke, what happened to the teams down on the surface, etc. I'm only disappointed that Isaac isn't hallucinating nearly as much as I think he should, even after the events of the last game. This leads me to believe either they took it out or he's been hallucinating this whole time.

• Options
    4 player coop where one player goes all marker crazy so when you fight necros you team mates start to look like necros or something so you shoot them.

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I do, however, enjoy the lovecraft thing going on here. The Roanoke, what happened to the teams down on the surface, etc. I'm only disappointed that Isaac isn't hallucinating nearly as much as I think he should, even after the events of the last game. This leads me to believe either they took it out or he's been hallucinating this whole time.

He expunged the market from his mind at the end of 2. I assume he's got a better handle on its effects than most people.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Friendly fire is on so you don't know if the guy who shot you did it accidently or is going all marker crazy, or like if you do kill the marker crazy guy he respawns as a necro and tries to kill the rest of the group.

Nikolai on
    xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular

He expunged the market from his mind at the end of 2. I assume he's got a better handle on its effects than most people.

i thought this was really disappointing.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    The Carver missions more than make up for Isaac's lack of delusions.

Though, granted, saying that a co-op feature makes up for a single player shortcoming is not really a good thing.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    i'm really interested in seeing it, but i don't have gold & don't know anyone on 360 that has this, & also don't have an ethernet hookup to my 360 (or pc)

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    i'm really interested in seeing it, but i don't have gold & don't know anyone on 360 that has this, & also don't have an ethernet hookup to my 360 (or pc)

Somebody filmed all the co-op sequences and cutscenes.

I don't think I need to tell you that there will be spoilers, both in this video, and in the related videos linked at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAROqYN3E3Q

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    oh, nice! *gets some oreos*

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    Heh. I was about to just give up and call bullshit.

But then I realized you can upgrade the frame.

Now I don't need to empty four shots into every limb and craft ammo endlessly.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    The only problem with it is that it glosses over the actual gameplay segments of the second mission, which have the best atmosphere out of the entire game.

Unfortunately I can't find any videos of it out there, except for some Let's Plays all filmed from Isaac's perspective, so you don't get to see all the good bits.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I've watched Let's Plays on the other two Dead Spaces

this one's gonna be no different

the story is quite enjoyable so far, I think

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    The co-op elements make this game. People are going to say that doesn't make up for the solo campaign experience, but these are the same people who liked Dead Space 2 for the writing. The writing is at its best in co-op. It's how the game was Made To Be Played.

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    The co-op elements make this game. People are going to say that doesn't make up for the solo campaign experience, but these are the same people who liked Dead Space 2 for the writing. The writing is at its best in co-op. It's how the game was Made To Be Played.

because it doesn't

• Options
    Dubh wrote: »
    I've watched Let's Plays on the other two Dead Spaces

this one's gonna be no different

the story is quite enjoyable so far, I think

It's not that the Let's Plays are bad, it's that they're missing some of the best parts of the co-op mission by not filming from Carver's perspective.

Which is all I can really say without spoiling everything.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Also, if you build your game to be played in co-op, and the single player experience suffers as a result, that's definitely a flaw that you as the designer should have considered and taken steps to amend.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    I wish I could find someone that believed in a "shut up and play" version of lets plays.

No, I don't want to hear you talk the entire time. Stop saying what you just picked up.

I am sorry the education system has failed you so hard but for the love of god it is not a TELSA core!

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Tulsa Core

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    BYToady wrote: »
    I wish I could find someone that believed in a "shut up and play" version of lets plays.

No, I don't want to hear you talk the entire time. Stop saying what you just picked up.

I am sorry the education system has failed you so hard but for the love of god it is not a TELSA core!

subtitled LP's are the way to go for you I guess

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    i think people just call those "playthroughs" on youtube

i don't think it's technically an LP without commentary

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    I could also stop bitching about people providing me with free entertainment that I can choose to stop watching at any time.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    BYToady wrote: »
    I could also stop bitching about people providing me with free entertainment that I can choose to stop watching at any time.

yeah but why would you do that

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    Fuck co-op. That's relying on someone else and that never ends well. Ever.

I wish people, publishers most of all, would stop riding the multi player dick.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    i love co op games

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular

because it doesn't

Yes it does. Hush.

• Options
    Co-op games are good, it's people who are the problem, as people often are.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options

because it doesn't

Yes it does. Hush.

no way!

a game having good co-op does not give it a free pass on having a less good single-player experience

• Options

because it doesn't

Yes it does. Hush.

it's how the game was made to be played, so they should have made it Co Op Only

• Options

because it doesn't

Yes it does. Hush.

it's how the game was made to be played, so they should have made it Co Op Only

i... what? seriously? like i have my fair share of complaints about the single player and how the co op structure messes with it, but you can't actually propose this is a viable option for any large title

hell, you can play left 4 dead by yourself. it's fucking awful. left 4 dead is still great

• Options
    i'm counter-trolling hacksaw. it's silly to say that a good co-op mode means that there can be no complaint about SP, just as saying that if they were going to do that they should have made that the only mode

although i do wish they had been brave enough to do that!

• Options
    oh, okay

and i don't know if it's brave to commit company suicide

• Options
    if they owned it it would have been fine. less problematic than the shameless DLC (snap into a slim jim! in dead space! because necrotic flesh and meat product are a perfect cross-brand strategy) and the microtransactions, at least in the eyes of players

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    My co-op buddy and I played a few more chapters tonight, still have a ton of fun but we only just made it to the planet so still plenty of time for the game to turn to shit.

But the shuttle bay escape in co-op was one of the most hilarious/exciting video game experiences I've had in awhile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    i feel like there are lots of players who will stomach microtransitions, like me

but if dead space 3 had been co op only, i literally would have been unable to play it due to my internet connection and lack of friends to play with

and i hardly think i'm the only one in that situation