As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dusting off the pencil and ink (now with NSFW)

2»

• Options
    SpaceMooseSpaceMoose Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    First some Bravest Warriors doodles while watching through the shows:

bravestwarriors1.jpg

And now getting back to Fun With a Pencil sketching. Compared to my first attempts here I'm really feeling like I've made some improvement.

funwithapencil8.jpg

Edit: wooohooo page 2!!!

SpaceMoose on
  • Options
    Wasn't going to post again so soon else I'll litter this place with my studying but started in on the more realistic portraits in Fun With A Pencil and we super happy with this one. Long way to go but here it is.

FunWithPencil9.jpg

• Options
    nocuddletimenocuddletime Registered User regular
    Keep at it. I love the Loomis stuff. I have sketchbooks like that!

93acff97bUk2g.gif
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words @nocuddletime. Been working through a couple more of these plus doing some sketches from Jake Parkers sketchbooks. I've only just found him from someone on these boards and his work really exemplifies where I'd like to be some day.

• Options
    Finally getting to the non old man drawings in Fun With A Pencil. Super happy with how this turned out. Also hair can suck it.
    FunWithPencil10.jpg

• Options
    Cross posting this from the doodle thread. Thanks to some help starting to learn some digital painting tricks.

HobbitLandscape2Progress.png

Also looking at this on a real monitor now instead of my laptops where I painted it and it looks pretty different. Much more messy. I'll have to watch closer next time.

• Options
    Moar Loomis Ladies!

FunWithPencil11.jpg

• Options
    reposting from doodle and enrichment threads:

buildergoat.jpg
    OnePointPerspective.jpg

• Options
    Keeping on with the mission of making it through Fun with a Pencil. On the stage now where I have a finished picture I have to construct and draw. The page I'm on is all children:

FunWithPencil12.jpg
    FunWithPencil13.jpg
    FunWithPencil14.jpg
    FunWithPencil15.jpg

Itching to get into the full figure drawing section of the book but I have about 40 of these left to do. Each takes at least 15-30 min so it's gonna be a bit before I get there. Thinking of taking a break to do some personal drawing for a bit.

• Options
    Criss Cross posting from doodle thread.

Inktober #1
    InktoberDumpTruck1.jpg

• Options
    Inktober #2 Some Mouseguard sketches from ref.
    InktoberMouseguard1.jpg

• Options
    Inktober Day 3. Super proud of this one. My own idea, researched some reference and executed. I think it actually looks like I was planning it too. Still lots of room for improvement.
    InktoberBearViking1.jpg

• Options
    <challenge thread cross post>
    Tripling up and using this as an Inktober sketch for the monthly challenge thread playing with an idea for NatCoWriMo if I can pull a decent enough easy design to use. Idea here was cowboy heads. I tried to put some variance into them but don't think I pushed it far enough, and might need to do full body ones instead to make things clearer.

InktoberCowboySilhouette.jpg

• Options
    Inktober from the weekend.

Not using reference is hard and a bad idea
    InktoberNoRef.jpg

2 still lifes from a coffee shop
    InktoberStill1.jpg
    InktoberStill2.jpg

Still a long way to go.

• Options
    Inktober #7. More luck doodling from scratch this time

InktoberDocOc.jpg

• Options
    sampangolinsampangolin Registered User regular
    Hey dude. I am really enjoying black ink as well, keep at the drawings. One of the coolest things I've seen recently was Nate Van Dyke doing a black illustration, here

youtube.com/watch?v=ksIsbwHqeks

Anyway, I am nowhere near as good! But here is a short bit of advice that might help on your still life stuff, it really helped me. The bottom the bench in your coffee shop drawings points to a fairly common problem where you are trying to draw what you know is there (a bench...) but struggling to make it fit and look right from a slightly awkward perspective.

In a book called "drawing on the right side of the brain" the author talks about how we try to draw the object as we understand it and as we think it should look, rather than drawing what is actually in front of us. A good way to get around this and to make the brain ignore the object and really draw what you are seeing is to draw the negative space.

This is an AWFUL drawing of the side of a chair to demonstrate what negative space is

YYUMbZjm.png

So basically if you look at the shapes that are made by the edges of the negative space, your brain doesn't have a default 'this is a chair - I must draw a chair' setting for that little random shape you are looking at, so it forces it to really look at it properly and draw it. Once you've finished going around the object and finished all the negative space, the object is left in the middle and hopefully you will find you have been able to draw it pretty accurately.

I hope that makes sense I feel like I explained it badly. I recommend the book, it's by Betty Edwards.

Keep up the good work! I really liked your silhouettes.

• Options
    Hey dude. I am really enjoying black ink as well, keep at the drawings. One of the coolest things I've seen recently was Nate Van Dyke doing a black illustration, here

youtube.com/watch?v=ksIsbwHqeks

Ya, that super impressive. Definitely envy the fluidness of his linework even though it seems chaotic.
    Anyway, I am nowhere near as good! But here is a short bit of advice that might help on your still life stuff, it really helped me. The bottom the bench in your coffee shop drawings points to a fairly common problem where you are trying to draw what you know is there (a bench...) but struggling to make it fit and look right from a slightly awkward perspective.

Yes, my eye for perspective is indeed off. One of the reasons that I try and work on it. Also rushing the drawings don't help much.

In a book called "drawing on the right side of the brain" the author talks about how we try to draw the object as we understand it and as we think it should look, rather than drawing what is actually in front of us. A good way to get around this and to make the brain ignore the object and really draw what you are seeing is to draw the negative space.

This is an AWFUL drawing of the side of a chair to demonstrate what negative space is

YYUMbZjm.png

So basically if you look at the shapes that are made by the edges of the negative space, your brain doesn't have a default 'this is a chair - I must draw a chair' setting for that little random shape you are looking at, so it forces it to really look at it properly and draw it. Once you've finished going around the object and finished all the negative space, the object is left in the middle and hopefully you will find you have been able to draw it pretty accurately.

I hope that makes sense I feel like I explained it badly. I recommend the book, it's by Betty Edwards.

Keep up the good work! I really liked your silhouettes.

Ya, I have the book and went through it probably about 10 years ago, one of the other times I was into drawing for a bit. It's probably worth throwing back on the queue to go over again now that I'm more seriously practicing. Maybe I'll hit that up after I finish off Fun with a Pencil. Thanks for the comment, I appreciate it.

• Options
    Cross posting from the doodle thread. (OCDing my art having to be in one thread).

It's hard not to be inspired by a Johnny Cash song. Thought of this one for Inktober Day 9

InktoberGhostRiderInTheSky.jpg
    Spoilering the song inspiration in case anyone wants to guess.
    Ghost Riders In the Sky

• Options
    OCD cross posting from doodle. Am I annoying people by posting these in here every day? Should I stick to a weekly dump, leaving the dailies to the doodle thread?

Best of the inktober drawings from last night while drawing various pro wrestlers from google image search. Approached this one trying to go very blocky and it turned out interesting I think. Looking forward to being done with faces and get some work on loomis bodies.

InktoberProWrestler.jpg

• Options
    Latest pieces from Fun With A Pencil. Getting ever closer to moving on to full bodies. After these few I feel like I'm really seeing progress. Drawing the women's faces is still hard though and I'm not as happy with how they are turning out.

FunWithPencil16.jpg
    FunWithPencil17.jpg
    FunWithPencil18.jpg

• Options
    More progress. Three more faces from Fun With A Pencil.
    FunWithPencil19.jpg
    FunWithPencil20.jpg
    FunWithPencil21.jpg

Trying to apply what I've learned so far from FWP. Picked a random picture from the Sartorialist and sketched up the face real quick. After I'm done with FWP I think I might try and do a 100 of these.
    Sartorialist1.jpg

Thinking of maybe starting to play with some shading or color as I've been living in linework only land for quite a while now.

• Options
    And now finally done with the just head section of Fun With a Pencil. Here's the first set of heads and last drawing that I did just for some perspective.

These are from April
    FunWithPencil1.jpg
    This is from last night.
    FunWithPencil22.jpg

Still a long road ahead but I'm really happy how far I've come since I started going through this book. Working on the full body section of the book now and already having a blast.

• Options
    Some Sartorialist drawings from last week. Feeling like it's getting easier to draw faces. Inking them is pretty tough though and I feel like I'm epicly failing at drawing women. I kid you not that I did one last night that looked like Nick Cage in drag. Would love some advice on drawing the ladies.

Sartorialist2.jpg
    Sartorialist3.jpg
    Sartorialist4.jpg
    Sartorialist5.jpg
    Sartorialist6.jpg
    Sartorialist7.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Not many drawings worth putting up here lately but a sample of stuff I'm working through.

Another Copic drawing
    Environment1.jpg

A Jake parker copy
    JakeParker1.jpg

SpaceMoose on
  • Options
    Some work on eyes.

Eyes1.jpg

• Options
    I decided as this threads one year anniversary is fast approaching I would see how far I've done by re-drawing the first picture from this thread. This time I'm really taking my time on it, and hope to have it finished by the end of the month, working on it an hour here and there. A couple WIP shots in case anyone has any comments. I'm thinking the eyes might be a little too big. Gonna sit on it a day and measure it up to double check myself.

OneYearGirl-1.jpg
    OneYearGirl-2.jpg

• Options
    More progress, just laying in some darks. Lots of detailing and mid tones left.

OneYearGirl-3.jpg
    OneYearGirl-4.jpg

• Options
    edited January 2014
    More progress. Gonna wait a bit and see if anything pops out as needing work. Anyone else see something that looks off?

OneYearGirl-5.jpg
    OneYearGirl-6.jpg

SpaceMoose on
  • Options
    Inspired by @sampangolin I'm starting my own Copic Asaro study. I think I missed it on the values here and started the darks off much too dark. I should have gone lighter to begin with. I think next time I'll start with the lights and go darker instead of the reverse.

Asaro-1.jpg

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    Keep it up!

Don't be afraid to make longer, confident lines. Much of your linework is short and scratchy.

• Options
    Thanks, I completely agree with you on that too. It's hard to trust myself to make those longer lines but I continue to try.

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    SpaceMoose wrote: »
    Thanks, I completely agree with you on that too. It's hard to trust myself to make those longer lines but I continue to try.

Don't be afraid to take risks and make mistakes on your pieces. The mistakes will help you learn!

• Options
    Thanks for the comments. I continue to work on that. As you can see from the above work, I have no issues with both making mistakes and posting them here. :)

For now here's another study from Fun With A Pencil

FunWithPencil23.jpg

And another Asaro head. This time I started out with the light colors and worked in the dark. I definitely messed up some proportions here and got lost a bit in the drawing when going over it with a marker. I might be making this harder than it should be by using the copics, next time I'm gonna try pure pencil.

Asaro-2.jpg

• Options
    Still doing loomis studies, gesture studies, and other stuff. Here's a recent batch of Loomis work from Fun With A Pencil

FunWithPencil24.jpg

• Options
    More Loomis work:

FunWithPencil25.jpg
    FunWithPencil26.jpg
    FunWithPencil27.jpg

Some more Jake Parker love

JakeParker2.jpg

People sketching on the Sartorialist

Sartorialist8.jpg

• Options
    Been doing a bunch of gestures lately when I haven't been distracted by Crash Course US History. Tried a digital color master copy which failed miserably. Wanted to do a watercolor so did a small watercolor gesture. Lost it a bit on the face but on the whole I'm happy.

Gesture6.jpg

• Options
    Another attempt at color on a gesture, this one I'm more happy with. Including progress shots as well.

GestureColor-1-1.jpg
    GestureColor-1-2.jpg
    GestureColor-1-3.jpg