As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Big Le[chat]ski

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Bourdain is a chef. There are so few nice ones that it almost seems redundant to call him a douche.

this is why i didnt go to culinary school and instead went for a writing degree

See, and I went into culinary because I thought I was a dpuche. And also because working in a kitchen is fun.

I knew nothing of the depths of douchedom.

So now I'm aiming for Sports Media. There aren't any douches in the media, right?

You are trained? Observe my gumbo recipe from a few pages ago, and give me your thoughts!

"Trained" in that I enjoyed a year of school, and roughly the same time in the field. But I'll take a look, definitely! :)

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    One thing I will tire of quickly at college: Instructors having to verbally beat people to convince them to write 250 - 500 word papers.

And then classmates complaining that they only have one week to do it.

'Sgonna take you 20 minutes, folks.

im not even at work and i am writing 3k words cause my coworkers are slow and i am the besssssttttt

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Damnit typo'd the batsignal. @Benarwhal

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Why is there a fork and knife with that?

Hipsters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPCytfxNU7Y

shrimp salad on hotdogs is perhaps the greatest thing we ever did up here

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I think you guys are judging "chefs" by "tv chefs", which is kind of a backwards way of going about it. Most chefs loath TV chefs too, but we do like Anthony Bourdain. There's seriously a brand of cook now who goes through culinary school and into restaurants and thinks he'll be a chef if 4 years and a TV star in 5. Everyone else in the kitchen hates that guy.

Like if you go find the actual real working chefs who then got a TV gig, most of them are pretty decent dudes.

And I suppose there may be a certain degree of snobbery, but that's sort of inevitable when you're an expert at doing something everyone thinks they know how to do?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfY0lrdXar8

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2013
    250 words is like 5 minutes of work if you actually speak english

Vanguard on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Ahahaha

Bronys be trippin

Over this
    BBy6LLlCYAEem_t.jpg

Goin' crazy

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    @jacobkosh

ANSWER FOR YOUR CITY, BARBECUE RIVAL!

we have a rival??

: x

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    One of my community college courses had a 25 page technical manual as an assignment

Mine was 23 so I got an automatic 2 grade letter deduction

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    One thing I will tire of quickly at college: Instructors having to verbally beat people to convince them to write 250 - 500 word papers.

I haven't had one assignment that took less than three hours and I have 25 or so of them this year.

although that said 250-500 is an annoying word requirement because that's far too little

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Were any of the NRA leaders actually in favor of significantly increased enforcement of gun laws before the recent shootings?
    I think we can also agree that our mental health system is broken. We need to look at the full range of mental health issues, from early detection and treatment, to civil commitment laws, to privacy laws that needlessly prevent mental health records from being included in the National Instant Criminal Background Check System.
    Fuck LaPierre.

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    So my car door handle fell off this morning. It's just a metal handle, and it's not like the whole piece disconnected... the metal just snapped. I can still see the other part attached to the car.

I feel like this should be fixable. My coworker recommended just getting some epoxy and attaching the handle back to its base, but my dad says any cementing/gluing job I do could not possibly prepare this handle to endure the forces it has to endure. He also says there is no epoxy that I can use in this weather (currently 8 degrees farenheit and fairly wet)

Who is full of shit? Is there anything I can do with this? I don't want to spend the rest of the winter trying to get in through the other side of the car, and I don't really see this necessitating a mechanic.

In fact, I'm not sure this is the kind of thing a mechanic is for at all.

depends how much surface area you have to work with

take photos

@ronya

Sorry for the delayed response. Work has been cray cray this week. I really don't need to be adding this to that, but so it goes.

Anyway, here is a picture of the handle from the bottom, where it disconnected. It's a vertical handle. The grey portions on the bottom are the parts where it disconnected. My theory is that it stress from many attempts over the years to pry the door open when the handle was frozen finally caused the old thing to snap. Which means even if I can get this fixed, I'll need to simply accept that sometimes this door can't be opened. Trying to force it when it's clearly frozen is a Bad Idea.

Spoilered for holy fuck huge
    hP9oW3d.jpg

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Has anyone played The Cave here? I want to make a recommendation, because it is a very nice puzzle game. I also like the visuals a lot, the setting is really something. I think the controls are a little wonky at times but you can't really die so at most you get to retry when the platforming gets tricky.

4 out of 5 badgers!

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    People all calling me to make sure they're arranging flights that work for my schedule.

I am pretty sure this is how important people feel.

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    Were any of the NRA leaders actually in favor of significantly increased enforcement of gun laws before the recent shootings?
    I think we can also agree that our mental health system is broken. We need to look at the full range of mental health issues, from early detection and treatment, to civil commitment laws, to privacy laws that needlessly prevent mental health records from being included in the National Instant Criminal Background Check System.
    Fuck LaPierre.

So I assume LaPierre is fine with anyone making threats against the government having their right to own firearms taken away since they've exhibited symptoms of being dangerous

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    dark raven x why is that a thing

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Vanguard wrote: »
    250 words is like 5 minutes of work if you actually speak english

Man, yesterday I wrote a summary of what I talked about last week.

2199 words.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Haha, damn. My brother just got assigned a book, everyone who gets it writes their name, date, class section in it. He sends me a picture, back to back on the inside cover are me and my roommate from junior year of college, from 10th grade

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    "Cat lovers" aka Fluffy Murder Machine Apologists:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21236690

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Geth seems to like Kat Denning's boobs.

I think this is one of the criteria for sapience.

"The Measure of a Man" indeed.

Because today is bad Photoshop day:
    z3nasYf.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

I would assume it's because Twilight doesn't have wings, but what do I know.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Noooo feral! Match the source resolutions! Match the colors! At least match the white balance! Cover up sloppy work with gaussian blurs!

Feral :(

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    new coworkers can be tiring

why don't we do X this way?!

listen nub I know that seems easy but there is some shit here you aren't privy to

so cool your jets

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »

I haven't had one assignment that took less than three hours and I have 25 or so of them this year.

although that said 250-500 is an annoying word requirement because that's far too little

It's surprisingly hard to write so few words on a subject!

Though @ everyone mocking it's shortness: C'mon now, we're radio students. The only writing we need to do needs to fit in 30-60 second soundbites.

@spool32 , response incoming!

• Options
    okay, so it sounds like my main obstacle is the cold weather. It's going to get much warmer this week... if it's just a matter of waiting until it gets to 45+ weather, I'll just wait. This is not urgent, it's just a pain in the ass to get into my car right now. I'd rather hold out for a week or month than take this to a mechanic or try my hand at dismantling the damn door.

• Options
    oh my god its so hot in here and I'm wearing a sweater

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    i'd dismantle and glue it, myself

unless you can pick up a replacement super cheap

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    "Cat lovers" aka Fluffy Murder Machine Apologists:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21236690

And another reason cats are better* than dogs.

*I consider "Murder Machines" to be a plus.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    my record for typing in one day is 17k. it was harsh and my brain was so fried that i had to take a day off but i did it.

next naonowrimo im going to go to a coffee shop and LAFF at writers

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    @jacobkosh

ANSWER FOR YOUR CITY, BARBECUE RIVAL!

we have a rival??

: x

:3

• Options
    If I had an assignment to write about something in my field like, the benefits of a network protocol, I'd have trouble with more than half a page

Tell me to write about why the BSG ending is bad I will give you a fucking book in 3 hours

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    I think you guys are judging "chefs" by "tv chefs", which is kind of a backwards way of going about it. Most chefs loath TV chefs too, but we do like Anthony Bourdain. There's seriously a brand of cook now who goes through culinary school and into restaurants and thinks he'll be a chef if 4 years and a TV star in 5. Everyone else in the kitchen hates that guy.

Like if you go find the actual real working chefs who then got a TV gig, most of them are pretty decent dudes.

And I suppose there may be a certain degree of snobbery, but that's sort of inevitable when you're an expert at doing something everyone thinks they know how to do?

Holy shit boning that chicken was wizardry.

• Options
    ronya wrote: »
    i'd dismantle and glue it, myself

unless you can pick up a replacement super cheap

That's unlikely. It's an old car and a weird handle. If I have to dismantle it, I'll probably just break down and take it to a mechanic. I'm not really a DIY guy, just gluing this damn thing together is outside of my comfort zone, and there's other car work I need done anyway.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Kana wrote: »

Holy shit boning that chicken was wizardry.

You're a Republican. Surely you see this happen a lot?

Edit:
    Alternative answer: Of course that's what would impress you.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    My uncle is a chef and he owns a successful restaurant and he's a really nice guy

• Options
    If I had an assignment to write about something in my field like, the benefits of a network protocol, I'd have trouble with more than half a page

Tell me to write about why the BSG ending is bad I will give you a fucking book in 3 hours

Technical fields are like that though.

Give me some time and I will write a three thousand word story about cats, or two thousand words on transgendered history.

Or about three sentences of genetics.

(They will all have the same syllable count though)

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Haha, damn. My brother just got assigned a book, everyone who gets it writes their name, date, class section in it. He sends me a picture, back to back on the inside cover are me and my roommate from junior year of college

when I took land surveying at KU the transit I used, which was old and made of wood, had my professor's initials carved into it from when he'd gone to KU

he was 60

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

A'ight so
    In Friendship is Magic, if you've got wings and a horn you are boss hog. They're God tier. Like, one controls the sun. Another controls the moon. I guess there was a third one, I dunno what she controls.

That's the main character, who evidently is getting a promotion somehow because it'll fit with cool merchandise ideas Hasbro has

But

The show is all about how the 6 main characters are friends and solve problems via teamwork and such and blahbalala

Now one of em is becoming God tier.

So it's no longer 6 equal friends, it's Twilight Sparkle the new God and her 5 sidekicks.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
This discussion has been closed.