Options

Comics in Movies and Beyond: The Sequeling

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Yeah it doesn't really make sense the more I think about the actual order the movies come out in.
    it's like it's happening one "phase" too early.

To make it a decent plot, it needs tons of time. And you need 3 elements:

-Space to be accepted fully as a place with a ton of alien races that we talk to. Avengers opened this door a crack.
    -The Illuminati, which hasn't been mentioned at all.
    -Hulk being out of control, which Avengers actually put back INTO the bottle and he controls it at the end.

Phase 2:

Iron Man 3 - rumors are swirling Tony will go to space for a bit. Makes sense. He could meet the Guardians and advance the space side of things.

Thor 2 - More space acceptance work. Maybe Dr. Strange enters, which is key to the Illuminati.

Cap 2 - Maaaaaaybe furthers the idea of needing an illuminati, I can see this movie avoiding space altogether.

Guardians of the Galaxy - Here's where you can check off space being a viable place in this universe. We meet different races, we see different planets, they interact with each other. Space is a go. Planet Hulk part 1 of 3 complete.

Avengers 2 - Here's where you could, maybe, get out of control Hulk. That would be alright, if done right. If seeds are planted elsewhere maybe. But we can assume this will be mostly Avengers and a Guardian or 2 vs. Thanos.

Now, Phase 3. We'll have Ant-Man, hopefully Dr. Strange, and rumors are big with Black Panther and Inhumans. (I can see the phases now having 2 Earth Movies, 1 Space movie per cycle). That gives us our Illuminati right there.

But I think Avengers 3 would be the one that shoots Hulk into space. And Planet Hulk would be in Phase 4...

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    You don't need the Illuminati to send Hulk off into space. Just have Fury say "Fuck it, he's a menace, I want him off my planet".

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    They can just adapt the story, it doesn't have to have the same set up as the comic

The gist of it is that Hulk gets sent to a different planet, is really angry, conquers said planet, planet gets destroyed, Hulk is double angry(and a little sad)
    Hulk is Conan in Space is the core here

They can have SHIELD be the ones who send him away
    Maybe he gets mind controlled by Thanos or whatever in Avengers 2 and does something bad, and Fury deems him too big of a threat to keep around
    Or maybe a bad guy does it and blames it on the heroes. There's lots of ways to play it

There's no way we're getting the Illuminati in the MCU anyway
    The super hero world in the movies is just too small

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    Speaking of the Illuminati, what studio would have the rights to Namor? Hes a mutant, but also close to the FF license, and originated with Captain America.

Also I really wish Marvel had the Fantastic Four stuff back in their house because having Earth heroes possibly go into space just seems like something they should be involved with.

I also want Dr Doom to be the villain for Avengers 3.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    That was a pretty cool clip for IM3 in the Super Bowl (and the extended look stuff), but the gold armor still doesn't look right, it's just too shiny and for a second I thought the CGI wasn't complete.

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Saying it would be a Ruffalo vehicle is a bit of a stretch. Banner doesn't get a lot of face time in Planet Hulk. But they should just copy the animated movie.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I thought it looked really awesome in motion, myself.

Also the Latino Review Hulk rumor sounds like a load of shit.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Planet Hulk is not happening in live action. For one thing, imagine how much the trailers would look like John Carter.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Does Marvel Studios own the rights to Namor? That would be a fantastic character to add to the universe.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I would be completely fine if live action planet Hulk used the same switch the cartoon did. Beta Ray Bill!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Does Marvel Studios own the rights to Namor? That would be a fantastic character to add to the universe.

Wouldn't he be tied up with the Fantastic Four license at Fox?

But then he's also a bit of an X-Men character, isn't he?

Hrm.

EDIT: Oh, wait, Fox has both of those. My bad. :p

Etchwarts on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    There's also a case to be made that Namor could be coupled with Avengers rights. Now I'm curious who owns Namor

Edit: Altho, I question my sexuality enough/GF drools enough over Cap and Thor! , Namor running around buff and in a speedo for 90 minutes would be the end of us all!

WiseManTobes on
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    They could have a similar deal as they do with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver; they can have the character as long as they don't mention their status in the other license.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    My trusty pal Google tells me that Namor was owned by Universal, but reverted back to Marvel around the same time Hulk did

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    My trusty pal Google tells me that Namor was owned by Universal, but reverted back to Marvel around the same time Hulk did

It would make sense that Namor was a separate license. While he is traditionally a Fantastic Four character and has been tied up with the X-Men lately (technically a mutant), he has been around longer than Captain America.

• Options
    Yeah, Namor has been a separate license forever. There was talk of a Namor movie back during the superhero craze in the mid 2000s.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    If we get a Namor movie before an Aquaman movie I'll cry

• Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    Namor was Marvel's second character after the Human Torch

He is his own thing

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Planet Hulk is not happening in live action. For one thing, imagine how much the trailers would look like John Carter.

To be fair, I think John Carter would have done alright if it had starred the Hulk.

• Options
    You already have name recognition, and presumably an ad campaign not put out by idiots.

• Options
    Unless Aquaman is the Brave and the Bold version, then I'd rather get Namor first.

• Options
    Tairu wrote: »
    If we get a Namor movie before an Aquaman movie I'll cry

why

Namor is older and better

• Options
    Disagree.

To the better, of course.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Namor has much more personality than Aquaman

and he has a much better catchphrase

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    This could all be solved if they had a crossover movie

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Either way I will probally skip it

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    You can't top "Outrageous!" in it's simplicity

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Yeah it doesn't really make sense the more I think about the actual order the movies come out in.
    it's like it's happening one "phase" too early.

To make it a decent plot, it needs tons of time. And you need 3 elements:

-Space to be accepted fully as a place with a ton of alien races that we talk to. Avengers opened this door a crack.
    -The Illuminati, which hasn't been mentioned at all.
    -Hulk being out of control, which Avengers actually put back INTO the bottle and he controls it at the end.

Phase 2:

Iron Man 3 - rumors are swirling Tony will go to space for a bit. Makes sense. He could meet the Guardians and advance the space side of things.

Thor 2 - More space acceptance work. Maybe Dr. Strange enters, which is key to the Illuminati.

Cap 2 - Maaaaaaybe furthers the idea of needing an illuminati, I can see this movie avoiding space altogether.

Guardians of the Galaxy - Here's where you can check off space being a viable place in this universe. We meet different races, we see different planets, they interact with each other. Space is a go. Planet Hulk part 1 of 3 complete.

Avengers 2 - Here's where you could, maybe, get out of control Hulk. That would be alright, if done right. If seeds are planted elsewhere maybe. But we can assume this will be mostly Avengers and a Guardian or 2 vs. Thanos.

Now, Phase 3. We'll have Ant-Man, hopefully Dr. Strange, and rumors are big with Black Panther and Inhumans. (I can see the phases now having 2 Earth Movies, 1 Space movie per cycle). That gives us our Illuminati right there.

But I think Avengers 3 would be the one that shoots Hulk into space. And Planet Hulk would be in Phase 4...
    They don't need the Illuminati. Replace them with the Avengers. Besides, it already has a few members in it already.
    Saying it would be a Ruffalo vehicle is a bit of a stretch. Banner doesn't get a lot of face time in Planet Hulk. But they should just copy the animated movie.

Ruffalo plays both roles.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    You don't need the Illuminati to send Hulk off into space. Just have Fury say "Fuck it, he's a menace, I want him off my planet".

Nick Fury: no matter the setting or medium, always making stupid decisions

• Options
    Also Namor and Aquaman are both great for different reasons

christ it's not a competition guys!

• Options
    Okay, regarding the Phase2/3 rumor, here's what I think they could do and what they'll have problems with
    1. I can totally see Hulk getting shot off into space in Avengers 2. I can see the Avengers & Guardians fighting Thanos, Thanos using the Infinity Guantlet to turn the Hulk against them, and the Avengers being forced to make the decision trick the Hulk onto a shuttle and send him away from the fight (Possibly with the intention of grabbing him after the fight, but he falls into a wormhole). You don't need the Illuminati for this, and really, they don't make sense in a universe that has less superheroes total than were on the actual Illuminati.

2. First problem with Planet Hulk: The Hulk is the feral, savage hulk and Planet Hulk needs the intelligent & misunderstood Hulk. I suppose Thanos's meddling could cause that to happen, but I would have liked to see a stand-alone movie first to accomplish the goal of a smarter hulk (maybe with the Leader tinkering with the Hulk, trying to perfect the gamma process).

3. $$$ I said it before, but you'll need an Avatar sized budget to do a movie starring the Hulk (who is running around as the Hulk for 99% of the time) on an alien planet. You can get away with red and gray-facing most of the generic aliens, but you'll still have a ton of other monsters and aliens that will need to be either CGI'd or done with practical effects. I don't think Marvel is going to be willing to drop an Iron Man sized budget onto a Hulk movie, no matter the reception he got in the Avengers.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Solar wrote: »
    Nick Fury: no matter the setting or medium, always making stupid decisions
    Agree so hard.

Ruffalo plays both roles.
    Yeah, but onscreen he'd still be a CGI creature.

Okay, regarding the Phase2/3 rumor, here's what I think they could do and what they'll have problems with

2. First problem with Planet Hulk: The Hulk is the feral, savage hulk and Planet Hulk needs the intelligent & misunderstood Hulk. I suppose Thanos's meddling could cause that to happen, but I would have liked to see a stand-alone movie first to accomplish the goal of a smarter hulk (maybe with the Leader tinkering with the Hulk, trying to perfect the gamma process).
    Not even Thanos, but the wormhole trip itself.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Where's all this Fury-bashing suddenly coming from??

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Where's all this Fury-bashing suddenly coming from??

his left side, because he never sees it coming.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    I have never liked Nick Fury

mostly because he is one of those military/espionage guys in fiction who are massive jerks but it's okay, they are making the tough choices!

whereas really

they are just massive jerks

Solar on
  • Options
    cshadow42 wrote: »

Could even remove the subterfuge altogether, Hulk on a space mission, sucked into a wormhole.

( If we remove the illuminati also, then after Sakaar explodes, Hulk and the Warbound can police space , smashing wrongs!)

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    I have never liked Nick Fury

mostly because he is one of those military/espionage guys in fiction who are massive jerks but it's okay, they are making the tough choices!

whereas really

they are just massive jerks

are you saying that having to make a lot of tough choices wouldn't make you a jerk

• Options
    I am saying that he makes a lot of "tough choices" and is a jerk (note the quotation marks)

but that making a lot of "tough choices" doesn't excuse his jerk-ness

He's also another one of these regular unpowered humans who is all "we do the real work around here"

I hate that

• Options
    I don't think it necessarily excuses it, but it does explain it.

Spending seventy-plus years making hard choices and doing terrible things for the greater good without any recognition or reward would make anyone into a huge jerk.

• Options
    But that's the thing

he does all these things and excuses it away

but I think that JT in Secret Warriors had a point

he perpetuates these things. He's an old man fighting an old war and he should just let it end and move on and (this is unspoken but suggested) die like his war has

that was a cool scene

This discussion has been closed.