As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Border [Chat]

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Do the british seriously consider 1/3rd of Antarctica as belonging to them? Because last I checked that was akin to claiming territory on the moon - frowned upon............

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Oh god

this fucking Bonobo mix

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Antarctic_Territory

The Antarctic Treaty, signed by all relevant regional claimants, does not in itself either recognise or dispute any territorial claims, leaving this matter to individual signatories. Most of the world's countries do not recognise any national claims to Antarctica. The UK, France, Norway, New Zealand and Australia, all of whom have territorial claims on the continent, mutually recognise each other's claims. Argentina and Chile dispute the British claim, and make their own counter-claims that overlap both Britain's and each other's (see Argentine Antarctica and Antártica Chilena Province).

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    800px-United_Kingdom_%28overseas%2Bcrown_dependencies%29%2C_administrative_divisions_-_Nmbrs_%28multiple_zoom%29.svg.png

is this a map of nice vacation spots

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    because people don't actually seem to support actions that would be entirely consistent with an overt support for the long-term material interests of citizens alone

imperial interests still hold some sway, but - to pick an easy example - trans-national ethnic and religious brotherhood is still a decisive element in the politics of many nations.

and countries don't in fact act in ways consistent with some projected long-term material interest

well, it doesn't have to be a straight material gain, ethnic or religious support is essentially a value held by a citizen of the country that is mostly held by a representational government made up of similar citizens (disregarding non representational governments for the moment). so because a person might feel a closeness to Joe over in the next country due to shared background, Jim who is a representative of Joe in the government also represents that closeness. but of course the government consists of people who also represent Jane, who really likes ponies from the next country and Sam, who hates people of Joe's background and Billy who Just wants to be left alone. so those conflicting 'enlightened self interests' that the government tries to fulfill all combine and prevent anything decisive from happening.

that's without adding in that people never know what they really want.

this makes the hypothesis of realpolitik completely content-free

I try to keep my content limited, especially for [chat].

also, not from my understanding of realpolitik.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Considering that the Antarctic slice is also coloured differently from the others, I'd hazard a guess that it isn't in the same category of ownership as the other non-grey sections.

• Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Antarctic_Territory

The Antarctic Treaty, signed by all relevant regional claimants, does not in itself either recognise or dispute any territorial claims, leaving this matter to individual signatories. Most of the world's countries do not recognise any national claims to Antarctica. The UK, France, Norway, New Zealand and Australia, all of whom have territorial claims on the continent, mutually recognise each other's claims. Argentina and Chile dispute the British claim, and make their own counter-claims that overlap both Britain's and each other's (see Argentine Antarctica and Antártica Chilena Province).

Oh that so needs to be struck down. Land hogging because you claimed first is medieval. I hope that never ever becomes commonly accepted.

HEY BY THE WAY THIS 5000 SQUARE KILOMETER AREA IS OURS NOW

WE BUILT A HUT AND THERE ARE THREE PEOPLE LIVING THERE 2 MONTHS OF THE YEAR

SEE SEE TOTALLY USING THIS AREA NOW

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Do the british seriously consider 1/3rd of Antarctica as belonging to them? Because last I checked that was akin to claiming territory on the moon - frowned upon............

The british claim most of the world, they've just been inconvenienced for the moment.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Blergh...morning [chat]. Been bed-ridden for the past two days with this damn cold. Back to work today though. Thank god for personal days.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i was dreaming about work and couldnt sleep and it was horrible

poo
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    apparently thatcher seriously wanted to hold on to hong kong

it's probably better for non-hong-kongers that they didn't; this allows beijing to keep embarrassing itself

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    According to a HK friend of mine back in 2003, HK wanted the UK to hold onto HK.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    Hell if norway, which is one world away, gets a piece of Antarctica accepted I will grant that the entire moon is the sole economic property of the USA and nobody can come near it. Similarly all of space belongs to Russia now because they were there first.

Neener neener

• Options
    According to a HK friend of mine back in 2003, HK wanted the UK to hold onto HK.

so i've been told, too

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Hell if norway, which is one world away, gets a piece of Antarctica accepted I will grant that the entire moon is the sole economic property of the USA and nobody can come near it. Similarly all of space belongs to Russia now because they were there first.

Neener neener

Will this make Russia the Guild?

~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
  • Options

Neener neener
    But how will the USA reach it?!

• Options
    Gonmun wrote: »

Neener neener

Possibly. They can offer a space corridor for the US to travel to the moon I guess.

The challenger depth belongs to James Cameron and his descendants from now on.

Russia planted a flag under the North Pole so clearly that is theirs by right too.

• Options
    Actually how high up does a countrys airspace go? Has anyone ever tried to claim satellites as trespassing?

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

The british claim most of the world, they've just been inconvenienced for the moment.

Look, we just think it would be better for everyone if we were in charge. We're not pushing it or anything, but were here when you get frustrated with this 'self-determination' fad.

• Options

Neener neener

Possibly. They can offer a space corridor for the US to travel to the moon I guess.

Russia planted a flag under the North Pole so clearly that is theirs by right too.

Pretty sure the folks living up in Northern Canada might have something to say about that. :P

• Options
    Actually how high up does a countrys airspace go? Has anyone ever tried to claim satellites as trespassing?
    There is no international agreement on the vertical extent of sovereign airspace (the boundary between outer space—which is not subject to national jurisdiction—and national airspace), with suggestions ranging from about 30 km (19 mi) (the extent of the highest aircraft and balloons) to about 160 km (99 mi) (the lowest extent of short-term stable orbits). The Fédération Aéronautique Internationale has established the Kármán line, at an altitude of 100 km (62 mi), as the boundary between the Earth's atmosphere and the outer space, while the United States considers anyone who has flown above 50 miles (80 km) to be an astronaut; indeed descending space shuttles have flown closer than 80 km (50 mi) over other nations, such as Canada, without requesting permission first.[1] Nonetheless both the Kármán line and the U.S. definition are merely working benchmarks, without any real legal authority over matters of national sovereignty.

poo
  • Options

I think only NK could possibly stretch enough to claim that.

I'd say it's not clear at all regarding airspace. On the one hand people shoot down U2 planes when given the opportunity and are viewed as having the right to. On the other hand NK's latest missile launch flew directly above Japanese territory, and Nippon was mad but didn't shoot it down.

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

so i've been told, too

Oh yeah, I remember it well. In the 90s HK did not want to go at all.

Remember that China has mellowed a lot recently. Tianamen Square was on everyone's minds.

And the British government were fuckheads about letting HK people into the UK. Really contrasts with the way they treated (White) South Africans and Rhodesians who wanted to come 'home'.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Most communication satellites are directly above the equator. This originally annoyed the countries along the equator but everybody else told them to fuck off.

• Options
    edited January 2013

Neener neener

Pretty sure the folks living up in Northern Canada might have something to say about that. :P

Look I'm sorry but they have a flag. I don't think there's much that can be said to contest this is court.

Honk on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I am going to beat Catalyst Control Centre into the fucking ground or die trying.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

Dronning Maud's Land is ours y'all can just fuck off

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Neener neener

Are they white? Only white people count.

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

Lol no

By the same logic the moon is the USA's, if you are ok with that I am ok with your piece of penguinville.

• Options

I think only NK could possibly stretch enough to claim that.

I'd say it's not clear at all regarding airspace. On the one hand people shoot down U2 planes when given the opportunity and are viewed as having the right to. On the other hand NK's latest missile launch flew directly above Japanese territory, and Nippon was mad but didn't shoot it down.
    It's cool that countries seem pretty mellow on that.

• Options

Lol no

By the same logic the moon is the USA's, if you are ok with that I am ok with your piece of penguinville.
    But is there oil on the moon?

• Options
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    what to do...

• Options

Neener neener

Look I'm sorry but they have a flag. I don't think there's much that can be said to contest this is court.

Ahh, I see how this is playing out. Those people will be the Fremen. :P

• Options

Lol no

I don't think so but there is Helium 3 which is an important thing for mankind because it makes you talk in a 3x more funny voice than regular helium.

• Options
    poshniallo wrote: »

so i've been told, too

Oh yeah, I remember it well. In the 90s HK did not want to go at all.

Remember that China has mellowed a lot recently. Tianamen Square was on everyone's minds.

And the British government were fuckheads about letting HK people into the UK. Really contrasts with the way they treated (White) South Africans and Rhodesians who wanted to come 'home'.

it mellowed a bit, then beijing tried power grabs again, which seems to have ground in the idea that beijing cannot be trusted

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

Lol no

there's no oil anyone intends to exploit in antarctica either.

Everyone grabbed a piece to claim and then we all agreed to let antarctica be everybody's. But without actually rescinding any claims.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »

Neener neener

Are they white? Only white people count.

The folks living up in Northern Canada never went to the north pole.

Ahem.

That's ours too, along with antarctica.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Who owns the Nazi flying saucer base in Neuschwabenland?

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013

Lol no

there's no oil anyone intends to exploit in antarctica either.

Everyone grabbed a piece to claim and then we all agreed to let antarctica be everybody's. But without actually rescinding any claims.

I imagine after global warming cooks off the ice caps, and and it is less useless territory, things down there are going to get interesting.

Edit: there is he3 on the moon, which might be useful to people eventually.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
This discussion has been closed.