As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Splinter Cell: Blacklist by Thomas Clancy

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    I'd love to play some SvM with you guys, for sure. I actually started playing last night on my own, to pick up the multiplayer achievements, and I had a lot of fun. It was only frustrating when I'd run up against high-level enemy teams. If we had a group of our own to roll with, I'm sure we could be really competitive. I'm pretty big on the uplink game type, but I'd be willing to play anything with you guys.

My only real complaint about SvM is that Sonar is overpowered as fuck. Any time I play on a gametype with mixed teams, its like everyone's a Spy with Sonar, so everyone knows the precise location of everyone else on the map, regardless of line of sight.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Sonar is the best sight mode. Followed by EMF, then Thermal is just rubbish.

EMF is better than Sonar IMO on certain control points depending on range and metal objects.

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    I'd have to plan ahead to know when I was free to play, but I'd happily draw fire from mercs so you guys can stab them in the back :)

• Options
    Alternate option: Form a group of full armour spies with SC SMG's and just shoot everything.

Equally dick move as Merc: Make use of how sprint extends your melee range and run around meleeing every single cloak spamming asshole. Preferably while everyone runs Overcharge for maximum stealth and headache inducement.

• Options
    Speaking of melee, I need to see if I can swap X and RS.

My panic knife skills from COD are getting me slaughtered. Reloading is not a proper counter to a knife in the face.

• Options
    Yeah, in all seriousness, that UMP45 is an absolute fucker; it'll tear through a fully-armored merc in just over a second, easy. I'm using the Intel Suit on my Spy at the moment, but armoring up may not be a bad idea at all.

• Options
    Speaking of Intel Suit, does it make you show up on RFID?

And is the helmet that prevents you from showing up on RFID when using vision useful? Or should you use the one that protects you from Drones and Intel Devices?

• Options
    Intel Suit/Overcharge suit (stealth is for pussies and all mercs run RFD)
    Anti spot/vision mode protection (anti spot required if you're hacking, bring at least one load out with gas in case the mercs are super heavy with it)
    spider gloves/armour
    Armour legs
    Armour boots
    UMP 45 or SC SMG.

For gadgets take flash, EMP, smoke or trophy systems but really just take camera mine.

Congratulations, you are now asshole spy.

• Options
    Do all mercs run RFID? Because when I used it I never seemed to see anyone pop up.

I at least got a double kill with my Motion Sensor. I'm guessing those running spies didn't expect a grenade to appear in that doorway :)

• Options
    I dunno, I run RFD on all my classes because tech signatures are super common between most spies running cloak and detection stop with sonar.

The motion trackers good too, ATS seems kinda lame.

• Options
    Ok, googling suggests that RFD doesn't detect Intel Suit. But it detecting Cloak explains a lot. Then again, I'm pretty good at picking up the distortions anyway.

Any suggestions for Merc gadgets? I've been running Frag + Prox Mine. But I might try the Intel Device instead.

• Options
    Intel devices is basically worthless. It dies in a single shot and beeps loudly while also only having a radius of like five metres. Plus most spies run counter detection as their headgear.

IMO You want gas over frag because it's more practical for area denial (and on most maps if you catch a spy with it them running out will get them killed anyway so you don't need frags lethality). Proxy mines can be really nasty once you know the maps and mount them on ledges spies come down from spawns on rather than hack points. They're also super good as a self defense mechanism if you're running a drone class.

I think if you're running gadget pants you're much better doubling it up with ammo rather than a second gadget. VX gas plus ammo gives you six gas grenades to use which will absolutely coat an area.

• Options
    Hmm, thanks for the thoughts.

I might still run Prox + Gas though. It gives me the advantage of Gas, plus the chance to occasionally laugh hilariously at someone tripping my mine*

*And probably doubles my kill count, because I still suck

• Options
    So I gave it another try last night. Still got frustrated, but had more moments of awesome. Particularly involving Sticky Cams.

Also, Uplink Control may be my favorite mode. Mixed teams works a lot better than I thought it would!

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Must be a sad day for the people at Red Storm.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Yeah, I just heard about this on the radio; I wanted to stop by and make sure everyone in the thread knew.

We should get on SvM sometime soon and pour one out for our dead homey.

• Options
    I'm down for SvM on PC if anyone else wants too. The more I play the less OP each side seems and more that Blacklist is just a smidge over aggressive with spies in general IMO.

• Options
    I'm on 360, and I *might* be able to play tonight

• Options
    Tonight is no bueno, unfortunately; that new GTA Online thing has sucked me in pretty hard, and I promised some friends we'd play tonight.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Finished the solo campaign earlier tonight. Loved it until the writing got dumb at the end.
    Why give Briggs your rifle when he's being covered by 3-4 snipers? Why not grab Sidiq's pistol after the melee confrontation? It was a pretty crappy boss/QTE sequence all around. I'd much rather have an ending where Sam has to do more than play hide-and-seek while being inexplicably unarmed. It was just a really poor way to force it into a face-to-face confrontation.

Solid game until then, but for me, it didn't end strong.

• Options
    Ehh, I thought the whole ending sequence was pretty cool. Just tell yourself "no more ammo" and don't worry about it.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Anyone got an opinion on the Deluxe edition DLC missions? Half off on Steam and debating getting them, but haven't heard much about them.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Is this games single player really bad. It was at the bottom of my gamefly list. Showed up. Thinking maybe I've got a stinker I should send back ASAP.

Just getting through the opening mission and things but. . .from the kind of dead 10 page thread I'm even more worried.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Is this games single player really bad. It was at the bottom of my gamefly list. Showed up. Thinking maybe I've got a stinker I should send back ASAP.

Just getting through the opening mission and things but. . .from the kind of dead 10 page thread I'm even more worried.

I think the single player missiles are great, a big step up from Conviction. It's still not like the old games, but closer to that style. Give it a couple more missions and see how you like it. They don't get significantly better or worse throughout.

[EDIT] I said missiles, which is awesome, but I meant missions.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I picked it up myself because it was on sale last week and I'm enjoying it.

You can't run and gun like in Conviction since you have objectives now besides "clear all enemies before moving to the next area". They actually brought back enemy patrols (hide your bodies!) and alternate routes to bypass guys entirely (as part of the Ghost/Panther/Assault scoring method).

My only complaint so far is that split-screen co-op can only be done with a Guest account.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Alright. I'll give it some more time tonight. Thanks for the info guys.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    The thread is not active because 1) the game came out a while back 2) conviction turned a lot of people away (i think they're crazy) and 3) spies vs mercs kinda sucks. I got a very enjoyable 30 hours of play out of it and I'm not done with it.

The game is great and worth your time.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    this game is the best splinter cell, all your nostalgia be damned.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I got a copy of this free with my new GPU and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. So far it seems like a nice blend of Chaos Theory and Conviction (which a lot of folks hated but I really enjoyed).

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    If anyone wants to play through Co-op stuff on PC I'm Royal Canterlot Voice on steam.

I promise to be extremely stealthy @AvvalonGuard can guarantee my talents in this department.

Still need to finish the survival missions.

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Survival is good fun. It tends to wring every bit of creativity and use of your sandbox out of you.

Also, Albino Bunny is best co-op partner. I can attest to this.

Expect... On the fly tactical adjustments.

• Options
    We don't have tactical adjustments.

All loud all the time baby. Who needs stealth when you have bullets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siwpn14IE7E

• Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    I'd be tempted to get in on some multiplayer action. Currently slowly working through the single player. Steam name is cannonfodder2001.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    So I finally gave up on getting a co-op partner for them and trudged through the Charlie co-op missions solo.

Things learnt:

1) The final silenced assault rifle is the dumbest thing, like holy shit the designers just went 'look, if you can't play this game worth ass but grind to this you win anyway, have fun'

2) They only have dogs on the first embassy mission. For some reason they never introduce heavies or shields in them

3) You can throw a proxy mine and unlike with standard grenades the enemy wont detect you. This has hilarious consequences.

Also finishing those missions gives me 100% completion in terms of having played all the content. Feel free to bug me if you ever want to play co-op anyway.

Considering this and Future Soldier might have being some of my favourite games for a good while I really hope they continue this style of Tom Clancy stuff.

Preferably with a semi randomly generated co-op game where your squads inserted into an area to sneak past patrols and perform objectives before getting out. That'd be about the most perfect possible thing.

• Options
    I've enjoyed what little I've played so far.

It really is a nice blend of Conviction and previous games (so much so that I forget to hide bodies sometimes, a hold over from my Conviction playthrough).

I wouldn't mind a co-op partner either. On Xbox.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Started playing this over the weekend. PC version. At first I had messed up textures, but updating my graphic drivers fixed it.

The single player campaign missions are fun so far, but I'm not really warming up to the new Sam, especially since I never really pictured him as a leader. He also reminds me too much of Male Shepard when we're in the ship.

Doesn't seem to be any forced gun fights so far, except for a few spots where you have to take down active soldiers but it can still be done completely stealthy. I started on realistic, not caring too much when I got spotted as I was mostly getting used to the mechanics and AI. Then I started to try to ghost everything, comepletely avoiding enemies when it wasn't too much of a pain in the ass. This means I'm often reloading but I don't mind too much. Lets me try different strategies, and sometimes figure out a way to clear an area pretty fast.

Only played one newbie match of Spy vs merc, the mode where the spies have to hack 3 computers. I'll probably play it some more, hard to judge with only 1 match. Probably won't live up to Pandora Tomorrow's MP but it should give me a couple hours of fun at least.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    onesixty2onesixty2 Registered User regular
    http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-TCSCBDE/tom-clancys-splinter-cell-blacklist-deluxe-edition

Slightly old thread, but this is on sale right now for 5.78 so I had to pick it up. Figured at least one other person has this on their "buy at 88% off" list

Anyone still play? I haven't done spy vs mercs since.. pandora tomorrow. Would love to see what they've done to the mode.

• Options
    Classic is still good and close the original with a few changes.

I don't play on PC but I do enjoy it on 360.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    onesixty2 wrote: »
    http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-TCSCBDE/tom-clancys-splinter-cell-blacklist-deluxe-edition

Slightly old thread, but this is on sale right now for 5.78 so I had to pick it up. Figured at least one other person has this on their "buy at 88% off" list

Anyone still play? I haven't done spy vs mercs since.. pandora tomorrow. Would love to see what they've done to the mode.

"Classic mode" is absolute garbage when compared to PT and CT. The new SvM isn't that bad but definitely more action than stealth.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page