As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Look, up in the forums! It's [Superman]!

• Options
    Oniros25Oniros25 Registered User regular
    Looks really good. I'll have to buy that. We've got to support anything that keeps Superman on the right path and keeps him from slowly becoming Superdoom as The Prophet Morrison foresaw before departing (was banished?) to the wastes...

Nintendo Network ID: Oniros
    3DS Friend Code: 1461-7489-3097
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    The only thing I would change about Supes would be ironically, Not Supes. It's Lex.

He totally deserves to be Doom level amoral super genius who fucks with Superman to make a point not only to Superman, but humanity itself.

No matter how powerful you are, You cant save everyone.

And Supes answer, naturally would be, "I know".

• Options
    sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    I just read it and it was okay. I don't know, maybe I thought there would be more but having superman fight some guy while trying to comfort him isn't exactly the triumphent return I expected. I guess a lot of people will say that it's better than the main books and while that may be true, it still didn't wow me. I give it my lowest rating of 7 thumbs up.

• Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    There's something delightful about Lex Luthor making supermeth that gives people telekinetic powers. Honestly though, PCP would have a better fit based on the way that guy was behaving.

The meth was blue, even!

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Blue Meth?!? Ha, I'm watching Breaking Bad right now.

• Options
    Season 6 of Breaking Bad will show Walter building his meth empire into a legitimate business based in Metropolis and changing his name to Lex Luthor.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    IMDB wrote:
    Samuel L. Jackson showed up unannounced during filming on the Pollos Hermanos set one day, dressed in his Nick Fury outfit from The Avengers. Both productions of Breaking Bad and The Avengers were happening on the same studio lot, and Jackson wanted to be an extra during the scene being filmed. The producers denied his request to appear as Nick Fury on the show.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    DAMMIT

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    Samuel L. Jackson sounds like a fun guy. That produce sounds like a huge party pooper.

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    What's the easiest/cheapest way to collect Alan Moore's run on Supreme?

• Options
    I don't know the answer to glithert's question, though if anyone else does, I'd be glad to know it as well.

Also, recently read Adventures of Superman #2. That one hit me right in my feels. A worthy celebration of Superman's history and what it means to fans. Good job, Lemire even if your odd, jagged art does take a little bit to get used to.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    A glance about at prices indicates the cheapest way to get Supreme, by a slim margin, is to find second hand copies of the two paperback collections. Which is a pity, really because it feels more right, somehow, to read it as a bunch of actual issues. Of course, I bought them when they were originally coming out, so that's easy for me to say.

DSC00116.jpg~original

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Adventures of Superman #2 wasn't as good as the first issue, it was Lemire's version of that Joe Kelly kids talk superheroes story from S/B, and I usually don't mind Lemire's art but here it was hella rough. If Samnee was drawing the story or someone else it would have made it better.

Still, nice to have the old guy back.

• Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    Today my box of back issues arrived, finishing off my full run of the Loeb/Kelly/Casey/Schultz era of Superman. The collection clocks in at 207 issues. I don't even think I've read most of the back third of the collection. If anyone is curious, I sorted a tentative reading order here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArFTVdVOpKjgdHQ5YXMtNjVVU0RrM29PeVcwWmVOT1E&usp=sharing

I'll modify as I actually read through it. The only initial issue I see with how the reading order ends is that Superman #200 was used to set up the DnA Majestic arc followed by the Turner Kandor arc, which I don't consider to be part of the reading order. If you ignore the last page of Superman #200 then it is fine.

There are a couple of unexplained things that pop up through out, mostly due to events that happen outside of the Super books. This is mostly contained to the rotating cast of Supergirls throughout the series. The confusing Pre-Crisis Kara Zor-El that popped up at the end of PAD's Linda Danvers Supergirl run, for one. Shows up in all of two issues and is never explained. Linda Danvers' disappearance is never addressed. But these are minor things. Looking forward to getting into it from the beginning now.

• Options
    The only thing I can see immediately to change is to make Action #783 (the gift) to be right after OWAW, to read before Superman #174. It doesn't matter now but it's hook to the story is dependent on what Clark thinks happened, and leading it into #174 works better.

And then the Harvest story Kelly wrote after Action #800, maybe keep #801-804 together because 801 actually leads right into the Harvest, they just had Tom Raney fill in while Ferry had a break for a month.

• Options
    Supergirl 20 preview:
    http://www.comicvine.com/articles/exclusive-preview-supergirl-20/1100-146530/

Just read it and thank me later.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Someone at DC's been playing a bit of Portal.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Wrong thread.

sweetcreamscoops on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    So is power girls boob window back or is that an alt version?

Actually, I don't care at all, carry on.

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    So is power girls boob window back or is that an alt version?

Actually, I don't care at all, carry on.

It's back, because the change was on the solicits for World's Finest #12 as well. Perez' revamp didn't catch on and they didn't have the creative drive to try a different direction, so we return to what has gone before.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    It's also not consistent. There are changes to her old costume in Supergirl (the gold "belts" on her hips, the gloves and boots, the way the cape clasps). Her costume on the cover and in Worlds' Finest is just her old costume.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Ok, you can admit it now, which of you is secretly Soren Bowie, cause damn it seems like this article shares the same general view of Supes that we do. (That Supes can be done right, it's just reallly reallly hard to do )

3 Reasons it's hard to make Superman Interesting

edit: For the love of all that is good and not soul-crushing, do not scroll down to the comments tho.

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Supergirl 20 was SO good. Seriously, if you don't buy this issue you are part of the problem.

• Options
    I keep hearing good things about that one. I haven't been reading Supergirl since the H'el on Earth crossover (surely the exact opposite effect from what a crossover should be doing) so I guess I've got some catching up to do...

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Supergirl 20 was SO good. Seriously, if you don't buy this issue you are part of the problem.

Spoil it?

• Options
    This issue was basically a mix between Palmiotti's Powergirl run and Portal. It all revolves around Supergirl's home(who's basically GLADOS) trying to murder her, and it's just so damn funny and clever the entire way through.

Read the preview I linked a few posts back.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Ok, can I skip He'l then and be up to speed with just this one issue?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    pretty much. it might be a little bit better to start with #18, but no need to go all the way back to h'el.

Rans on
  • Options
    walmart.com/cp/Man-of-Steel/1104132

If the tickets cost what a normal ticket costs I'll get one I guess.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    The only thing I can see immediately to change is to make Action #783 (the gift) to be right after OWAW, to read before Superman #174. It doesn't matter now but it's hook to the story is dependent on what Clark thinks happened, and leading it into #174 works better.

And then the Harvest story Kelly wrote after Action #800, maybe keep #801-804 together because 801 actually leads right into the Harvest, they just had Tom Raney fill in while Ferry had a break for a month.

I'm nearly finished reading through the whole thing. More impressions once I'm done, but Tex did you ever read the Superman: Metropolis 12-issue mini-series starring Jimmy Olsen? It's written by Chuck Austen so I'm inclined to skip it, but it seems to have replaced the Man of Steel series during the last year of the reading order and deals directly with the B13 technology in the city. It seems like it would fit in with the bigger Superman story at work here but I want to know if it has any meaningful pay off. So far none of the other books have referenced it.

• Options
    Despite being Austen, it's a good maxi series, he wrote Jimmy in a good fashion where Austen's usual flaws (sex on the brain, trying too hard banter) actually work and I remember some of the character pieces were actually decent, like a lady believes her futuretech TV connects her to God. He also tried to expand a bit on Our Worlds at War.

It was better than his Action Comics run, which I thought was fine outside of making Lois a super bitch. So yeah, if you can find it for cheap give the series a shot.

• Options
    Each issue is a dollar or less on mycomicshop so I'll go ahead and get it. Thanks. Can't have an incomplete reading order... !!!

• Options
    I'm already starting to freak out a little about how very neigh the arrival of Man of Steel is. My brain keeps running scenarios about the scorn I'm going to take from all my pals if my totemic spirit guide super hero falls flat on his face and also contemplating what it may or may not mean if the thing is a runaway success. I'm going to go breathe into a bag now, guys.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    ...I can relate.
    I'm such a nerd and my friends will never let go how their current Marvel character and/or Batman is so much cooler than Superman.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    ...I can relate.
    I'm such a nerd and my friends will never let go how their current Marvel character and/or Batman is so much cooler than Superman.

Yeah, it's a common problem. I think my "favorite" instance of that happening was when the lady at the sandwhich shop noticed the steel Superman ring I wear and felt the need to comment that Batman was better than him.

"Seriously...just...just make my sandwhich. Thanks."

• Options
    Had similar feelings during the run up to the Green Lantern movie. Luckily I keep my comics collecting to myself so my shame snuck under the radar.

• Options
    Rans wrote: »
    Had similar feelings during the run up to the Green Lantern movie. Luckily I keep my comics collecting to myself so my shame snuck under the radar.

That's pretty much what I'm worried about happening with MoS. The trailers for GL actually looked pretty good. Too bad the guy that cut that trailer wasn't cutting the whole movie because that thing...was a mess. Could still happen to Man of Steel. Could. Sure hoping it doesn't though because it would mean good things for Superman and by extention of my enjoying his adventures, me.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    it could still be a terrible movie in your opinion, but still popular, and you'd have to deal with lots of people liking a version of the Man of Steel that is something you don't, leading to that interpretation sticking around for a while.

• Options
    ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    Oniros25 wrote: »
    Rans wrote: »

That's pretty much what I'm worried about happening with MoS. The trailers for GL actually looked pretty good. Too bad the guy that cut that trailer wasn't cutting the whole movie because that thing...was a mess. Could still happen to Man of Steel. Could. Sure hoping it doesn't though because it would mean good things for Superman and by extention of my enjoying his adventures, me.

I completely disagree with that. The trailers for GL made it look obviously terrible. The CG was subpar and there was way too much Ryan Reynolds humor. Plus I think they got to the weird looking GL aliens too fast, should've saved that for GL2.

Now Man of Steel looks like a rightly serious effort with good effects and camera work at least. I think it has a good shot at being good.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Yeah the GL trailers were very accurate to the movie.

Quire.jpg