As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Look, up in the forums! It's [Superman]!

• Options
    Oniros25Oniros25 Registered User regular
    Huh. The more you know...

Nintendo Network ID: Oniros
    3DS Friend Code: 1461-7489-3097
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    Who has two thumbs and just bought Birthright and the Superman Golden Age Omnibus

This guy

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Came across this, I guess it's a pretty good thing Superman always hold back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=V-fL8zopddI#at=64

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Look at what got here a week early
    cnubXnSl.jpg

• Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    So I read and absolutely adored Batman Superman 1.

My only question is: Did Ma and Pa Kent die in a car accident in current continuity? Wasn't aware of that.

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Morrison did that in Action Comics pretty sure.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Yeah New 52 Ma and Pa Kent were killed by Vyndktvx fucking with the timeline so that they'd die in a car crash

• Options
    edited June 2013
    glithert wrote: »
    Yeah New 52 Ma and Pa Kent were killed by Vyndktvx fucking with the timeline so that they'd die in a car crash

Can I just say that I think the name Vyndktvx is really freakin' cool? That name is really cool.

Oniros25 on
  • Options
    Picked up Batman/Superman #1, Superman Unchained and caught myself up with Action. I was surprised to find that I really liked all of it. Hopefully that speaks well for the comic book future of Superman.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I think there was about 45,000 speech/thought bubbles in this week's issue of Superman

Jesus Christ, Scott Lobdell.

• Options
    Some people like that sort of thing. Feel like they're getting their money's worth I guess. Kinda like how some people feel more gratified with a video game that is 20 hrs of ok gameplay and 30 hrs of fluff rather than 20 hrs of perfectly crafted gameplay. To each their own I guess.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I think it's a matter of what's being said though.

Busiek goes balls out with speech bubbles, but there's always something to say, exposition that doesn't really feel dated, etc. Lobdell sometimes seems to have a script that never got edited to begin with in terms of possible redundant content, and he might get that treatment being so close to Harras.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Maybe 10% of it is dialogue. 90% is exposition that could be shown instead of described (sometimes it's both!)

• Options
    And this is why I'm not currently reading Superman, despite my hard core addiction to all things Superman. I facepalmed my way through the first five issues of Teen Titans and Superboy. That was enough for me, thank you.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Is it me or has the whole 75th Anniversary of Superman thing been a pretty big bust for DC? Sure, they had Man of Steel come out and make lots of money but they didn't really try to capitalized on that at all. Plus the 75th Anniversary panel at Comic Con was really weak. And wasn't there supposed to be an animated Superman short film by Zack Snyder and Bruce Timm?

• Options
    Yeah, they didn't really make a big to do about it, which is sad. I would've liked something more, but I guess I'll just have to settle for them putting out a selection of Superman books that are actually decent. The tiny little 75th anniversary symbol that was on the cover of Superman related books was pretty much it. No specials or anything celebrating it. Ah, well. You win some, you lose some.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    There are those 2 big 75th anniversary hardcover story collections.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    No wonder Justin Jordan (allegedly) walked off Superboy. The last couple of issues including #22 yesterday have zero similarity to what was solicited a couple months ago. The stories inside the covers could not be more radically different than what was suggested. And the solicited stories sound way better. Feels like an incredible amount of editorial interference to me.

Superboy #22 was also a hot mess. Mostly in the art department, but the story made little sense.

• Options
    Rans wrote: »
    No wonder Justin Jordan (allegedly) walked off Superboy. The last couple of issues including #22 yesterday have zero similarity to what was solicited a couple months ago. The stories inside the covers could not be more radically different than what was suggested. And the solicited stories sound way better. Feels like an incredible amount of editorial interference to me.

Superboy #22 was also a hot mess. Mostly in the art department, but the story made little sense.

Sounds pretty par for the course lately. You either get in line or you get bowled over. Dunno why editors over a DC are all up in their writers buisness like this lately, but it doesn't seem likely to change anytime soon.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Oniros25 wrote: »
    And this is why I'm not currently reading Superman, despite my hard core addiction to all things Superman. I facepalmed my way through the first five issues of Teen Titans and Superboy. That was enough for me, thank you.

Adventures of Superman is really good - just old-school Superman stories.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular

I liked the first few superboy issues, but the Teen Titans/Gen13 girl stuff didn't seem to fit or help the book in anyway. I keep waiting for some good news so as to jump back in but, uh, anyway...

• Options

Adventures of Superman is really good - just old-school Superman stories.

Oh, yeah I've been reading that. I guess since it's an anthology it shouldn't be too surprising that I find that series really hit or miss. Sometimes it can feel too truncated or too sachrine in how it handles Superman, but when it's good it's good.

• Options

I liked the first few superboy issues, but the Teen Titans/Gen13 girl stuff didn't seem to fit or help the book in anyway. I keep waiting for some good news so as to jump back in but, uh, anyway...

[baseless opinon] I felt like the first few issues of Superboy were trying really hard to convince me that he was a Marvel character. It's funny but, by and large, Marvel tends to do Marvel better than DC even when everyone who used to work at Marvel now works at DC.[/baseless opinon]

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    The latest issues of Superboy post DBZ-crossover haven't been to bad at all. It's taking a happy medium of doing it's own thing while also showing a different backdrop to the current villains in the Superman comic. I really like the character.

But yeah, those heavy Teen Titans crossover issues earlier in the comic's life... weren't that great. Since it switched from being a 'companion' book to the bad Teen books and started being a 'companion' book to Superman stuff it's been a heck of a lot more enjoyable. Certainly not the best book DC is putting out by a long shot, but it's had its moments.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Yeah despite the long odds against the book from the writing / editorial side of things, I actually kinda like this version of Superboy. His personality is different and distinct enough from other incarnations that it's been interesting enough to continue with. I also like the emphasis on his TK powers, even if they operate differently than the pre-new 52 version.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Yeah despite the long odds against the book from the writing / editorial side of things, I actually kinda like this version of Superboy. His personality is different and distinct enough from other incarnations that it's been interesting enough to continue with. I also like the emphasis on his TK powers, even if they operate differently than the pre-new 52 version.

He also totally acts like a teenager, which is great.

I just wish they didn't have to mention that he has TK every... single... issue.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options

I just wish they didn't have to mention that he has TK every... single... issue.

So, are they finally just admitting that it's just TK? Have all pretensions of his TK requiring a tactile element finally fallen away? Because, I mean, it was conveniently forgotten that he was supposed to actually touch things to use his TK enough that it seemed the direction they were headed anyway.

• Options

tumblr_mnlbanXyul1s7dy2vo1_500.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2013
    I was just about to post that comic panel! ;)
    E: pointless post, art apology below
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjB_QC4Cfpn6-EgwdfhlEqyN5WY8ULDjx8hVdIx4HxZokXWqpNY_8DahZI

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    So, have I mentioned how pumped I am to have Greg Pak working on Superman?

Super-Pumped.

Here is an interview he did recent-ish which is low on details for his run, but it is exciting that apparently his Darkseid one-shot will tie into his Action Comics run. So far, I feel like Darkseid has been mishandled in the New 52 (I was going to say under-used, but I don't really think Darkseid has to appear in that many issues or panels to be effective.) Here's hoping Pak knows how to weild the God of Evil because he can really make for some exciting Superman stories when used with skill.

I also feel confident that he has a solid grasp on Superman.

In other news, I started reading New 52 Justice League back issues and I have to say, I kind of wish they could've just skipped than first story arc (which was mostly boring and uninspired) and skipped to everything that has followed it because once I slogged through that first story (I guess Johns doesn't understand how to use Darkseid...) was actually, really, really good. I've even come to like his take on Captain Mar...er, Shazam. I'm just getting into Throne of Atlantis. Should be interesting...

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Continuing a string of intelligent creative decisions, the DC Digital people had Pia Guerra (Y the Last Man) do a Superman comic.

I've always thought Guerra could kill on a mainstream comic. Aside from just having a style that I really enjoy, her storytelling is always crystal clear, and from what I recall, Y shipped in a really timely manner.

On the story itself, I really enjoyed it, even if it's a bit dour, examining how, if Superman inspires people to be better, Luthor inspires people to be worse.

• Options
    Munch wrote: »
    Continuing a string of intelligent creative decisions, the DC Digital people had Pia Guerra (Y the Last Man) do a Superman comic.

I've always thought Guerra could kill on a mainstream comic. Aside from just having a style that I really enjoy, her storytelling is always crystal clear, and from what I recall, Y shipped in a really timely manner.

On the story itself, I really enjoyed it, even if it's a bit dour, examining how, if Superman inspires people to be better, Luthor inspires people to be worse.

That's really cool. I'll have to read it when I get home. I thought Y the Last Man was written by Brian K. Vaughn. Was he not the sole writer for that series? I haven't finished it. Definately a story dynamic I support if for no other reason than because I'm truly sick of Luthor-as-antihero tales when he's been a festering blight upon the DCU since forever. Dude's supremely evil. Just because he's not a cackling maniac like the Joker doesn't make him any less vile. In fact, because of how easily he can convince characters in the story that he might be the good guy, he's probably worse. He certainly has the potential to do more damage. I just don't think that the writer should be trying to convince the reader of likewise.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Guerra's the artist.

• Options
    Oh, rightyeah. Ok, I got confused because he talked about her storytelling being clear. That makes more sense.

• Options
    Honestly right now Superboy just feels like an extended tie-in to Superman and nothing else.

• Options
    glithert wrote: »
    Honestly right now Superboy just feels like an extended tie-in to Superman and nothing else.

How's the art?

• Options
    when R.B. Silva draws it, it's great. last issue was not drawn by R.B. Silva and it was terrible.

• Options
    Superboy's art, as Rans said, vacillates between good and very much not good

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    So who is reading what still?

And where do you guys currently stand on Unchained? I've only read the first one so far, but I thought it was... not good.

Also, new teams on Superboy and Supergirl from 26 forward. Supergirl is going to be dealing with new Lobo (urgh), but Tony Bedard is the new writer, and he does really well with the cosmic stuff. And Bleeding Cool is saying that a Superman weekly is in the pipes for March, and was originally supposed to launch next month with Pak and Landis, which actually would've been pretty rad.

We know JRjr is supposed to be doing a Superman project next year, as well.

How do you think the books will shake out? It'd make the most sense for Lobdell to leave Superman, and JRjr to take over, but I feel like that won't happen. I'm also wondering if Pak will be leaving Action once the weekly starts, with Aaron Kuder taking over the writing in addition to penciling.

Unchained is doing gangbusters sales wise, but everything about that book besides Supes himself is a little too down for me. I was wondering if maybe Snyder would leave after the first arc (because let's be honest that Lee probably will), and it'd become a book for rotating AAA creative teams, but I'm wondering now if it'll just be Snyder + AAA artists.

• Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    The only thing I'm keeping up to date with is Batman/Superman and I'm a little concerned about this artist switch...

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png