As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Look, up in the forums! It's [Superman]!

• Options
    Oniros25Oniros25 Registered User regular
    I've always been surprised when people talk about how difficult Morrison's stories are. I've never had trouble with them. But then, I read Dune as a twelve year old and didn't have any friends until I was in my twenties. Maybe I'm just the right kind of warped, but Morrison and Gaiman were my simultaneous exposure to comics followed shortly by Ellis and eventually Moore. If they hadn't been complicated and high concept, I probably never would've given comics the time of day in the first place. My point being, whether or not Action makes a good primer for people who don't read comic books really depends on who you're friends with.

Nintendo Network ID: Oniros
    3DS Friend Code: 1461-7489-3097
  • Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I haven't been a fan of their digital releases (Smallville and Superman Beyond). It just feels like a regular 4$ comic chopped up so it can be a weekly unlike say, Spiderman and Superman's weekly eras.

Yeah I agree. It kind of ads insult to injury when they split it up so it looks like it's 22 pages but the actual pages have about a quarter of the content on them. As if readers aren't going to notice the reduction in content.

Some of the Legends of the Dark Knight stuff is pretty good though (although the last arc suffered from the same lack of content).

Amigu on
    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    There's actually some really good moments in the Smallville comic.

Superman seems to act more like Superman in that one than in his New 52 version

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Yeah, it has its moments but I don't think it works as a weekly. They should've just done them as monthly titles but well, if it keeps selling maybe they know something I don't.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Saw the new "I'm David" article over at ComicAlliance where he very, very briefly discusses Kurt Busiek's view that Superman ought to be public domain. I have to say, I'm for that. As much as I like DC, I think it would be ideal (though obviously impossible) since Superman is obviously a character that exists kind of beyond comics in a way. He's a bigger idea than he has been a comicbook character for quite a long time. Plus, that way anyone could write him in anything any way they like and maybe we'd actually see some more quality Superman fiction in general.

Thoughts?

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    well, i have no doubt that people could write better stories with him than what DC's pumping out nowadays

i'd worry about what he'd show up in but fuck, Injustice happened with editorial approval, I doubt there's worse that he could be put in

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Mark Waid would finally get to write his Superman... at Marvel.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    Mark Waid would finally get to write his Superman... at Marvel.

Sad but true. It's a sick, sick world that keeps a man with such love for the source material away from making great stories within said source material.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Mark Waid has already written Kingdom Come, Superman: Birthright, and Irredeemable. That's three awesome Superman stories right there already.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Mark Waid has already written Kingdom Come, Superman: Birthright, and Irredeemable. That's three awesome Superman stories right there already.

Waid has wanted to do Superman monthly for a long time, but apparently DC won't let him. Back in the day it was the Waid/Morrison/Millar pitch that was shot down because of DC wanting the character to be bigger than the creators. Currently, it seems Dan Didio and Waid just don't like each other (Didio apparently hated 52, and Waid dislikes Didio's handling of Bart Allen).

Just a shame really. Especially with the new 52, giving Waid the chance to lay some great groundwork? Would be amazing.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Didio not only hated 52, he specifically took over and re-wrote the end of Elongated Man's story multiple times, which was Waid's baby.

Waid's had a lot of really neat pitches that never happened, the Aquaman pitch he and Mike Wieringo made was fantastic:
    MarkWaid_Aquaman.jpg
    "I am so sick of people making fun of Aquaman that I’m beginning to take it personally. For the last ten years or so, the way we’ve been scrambling to combat Aquaman’s “Dork of the Sea” image--and I’ve been guilty of trying this, too--is by making Aquaman increasingly darker, grittier, and tougher, the brooding, angry king beset with trouble. Each incarnation of the character seems grimmer than the last, to the point where all that’s left for us to do is give him two hooks. And a peg-leg.

OR--here’s ANOTHER thought. Yes, the seas can be turbulent and stormy, but y’know what? Far more often, the ocean is a universal symbol for peace and contentment. It’s a calming influence. If it weren’t, Bermuda would be deserted and Hawaii would be an industrial trade port. It is most people’s “happy place.” Yes, the ocean is the set piece for “A Perfect Storm,” but it’s also the world of “Finding Nemo” and “The Little Mermaid.” I have never yet met anyone of any age who didn’t come away from Sea World envying the guides who swim with the whales and porpoises. I propose we turn this “grim Aquaman” paradigm around for a one-shot and see what happens. “Test the waters,” if you will. I know, I slay me. Anyway....

Our POV character in this story is a female marine biologist--and since Aquaman’s turf covers the world, there’s no need to make her American. (In fact, Russian is preferable--I’ve been doing a lot of reading about the culture of Russian courtship, and that could really play in nicely.) At any rate, our biologist--let’s call her Yelena for now--may have heard the name “Aquaman” here and there, but to her, he’s about as real and significant as, say, German football stars are to you and me.

Yelena’s work is done with grungy old equipment and spit-and-bailing-wire technology, the best she has to work with. Her whole world has a gritty feel to it--

--so when this bright, blond, shining knight of a man pops out of the water and into her life, she’s addled simply by the contrast.

Their paths cross, she’s drawn into an adventure, and to Yelena, this “Aquaman” is, yes, mysterious like the sea--but in a warm, enticing way. To Yelena, he is otherworldly, like a fairy tale character come to life. He rarely speaks (though when he does, he’s staggeringly charming), he lives in the water, and he smiles. Constantly. In fact, at first, Yelena has a nearly impossible time taking him seriously. He’s like a walking cartoon.

And yet...the more she gets to know him, the further she’s drawn out of her world and into his, she’ll come to realize that there’s something going on behind those wide eyes of his. Looking in them, she sees peace and confidence; looking through them, she’s gradually introduced to an underwater world of absolute wonder, a place that is far more colorful and in tune with nature than is her own gritty lifestyle. Once she surrenders to the implausibility of it all, she’s rewarded a thousandfold, and so are we. Aquaman’s joy becomes her joy becomes OUR joy.

There will be no mocking. NO jokes about how “dumb” talking to fish is. Anyone with a keyboard can make cynical jokes. That’s easy. What’s harder is reminding you why, when you were a kid, you thought the idea of living underwater or commanding the creatures of the sea WAS cool. We can do that. We can remind you, and Yelena’s awed voice will be there to back us up."

I have really enjoyed John's Aquaman but Waid's pitch is perfect as well

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Oh any links @Blankzilla? I'd love to read more about Waid vs Didio and 52.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I definitely would have preferred that to the Johns Aquaman. And I like the Johns Aquaman!

glithert on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    In the case of Waid being blackilsted on Superman, don't forget it was because he wanted to do a One More Day to the Super Marriage that involved "poison memory" bacteria that was inside Lois' brain, and then Mxyztplk comes in to magic everything to pre marriage stuff. Grant Morrison had to try and talk Waid down about maybe it going too far (keep in mind that at this point Lois and Clark were only married for about a year or two).

I love Waid's writing but that pitch, from everything I've been able to find out about it, was worth turning away.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Considering the marriage was undone anyways and how it has turned out, I would have still preferred Waid on Superman.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Are you talking about then or now? Because I think Joe Kelly more than proved he could write Superman (and a married Superman no less), and is up there with Waid in terms of getting the character.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    RIP Ringo :(:(

• Options
    sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    Yeah, I would rather have the marrage just not happen than whatever the hell waid planned.

• Options
    That's an awesome Aquaman pitch.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I like the idea that's sort of implied there that Aquaman is the chillest/happiest Justice Leaguer of them all.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Man that's a great Aquaman pitch.

And WHAT THE FUCK? Didio hates 52!? The fact that he hates the best cross-the-entire-line story and one of the best comics period that DC has ever done to date explains so many things about the editorial bullshit that goes on in the New52. I just... I don't understand how anyone in their right mind could hate 52.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Yeah, I never understood why they don't incorporate elements of mystery with Aquaman. The oceans have always inspired awe and wonder for humans. There's so much that we don't know about them and so much of what we have discovered seems alien to us.

• Options
    I think the fish telepathy is criminally underutilized. Fish? Why should he talk to fish? This is a fictional universe, the ocean should be full of all kinds of fucking awesome sea monsters for Aquaman to command. Injustice had the right idea with the army of giant crab monsters.

I mean, Cthulhu lives in the ocean, this shouldn't be hard

• Options
    I wonder if Aquaman's telepathy works on tapeworms, leeches, or other forms of aquatic parasites. That could serve for some interesting nightmare fuel.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Aquaman should just have telepathy in my opinion

I would do that

say that the only reason he had fish telepathy before is a mental block or some sort of classic guff like that

then let him develop an awesome acrobatic trident and telepathy fighting style

• Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    nice redesign of Cyborg Superman for the new 52

cyborgS%20copy.jpg

curious to see what they're going to do with him

• Options
    So, let's step into an alternate reality for a second where Superman is public domain. What kind of Superman stories would you like to see coming out of that (other than something by Waid, obviously)?

I am embarassed to say that I have kind of a fan fictiony thing for my vision of the character. I dunno if anyone else does this, but I do a little semi-pro writing here and there (just like extra Starbucks money for a short story once a blue moon, nothing special.) I can't resist trying to bring my own take to the table and would probably dedicate all my efforts towards that if I thought I could get it out to a wider audience that wasn't a fan fiction archive. It's decidedly not New52 style though so even in a world where I broke into comics, there's no way my ideas would get used. Lois Lane is actually important to my narriative as just an example.

Anyone else do stuff like this?

• Options
    Rans wrote: »
    nice redesign of Cyborg Superman for the new 52

cyborgS%20copy.jpg

curious to see what they're going to do with him

I have to wonder what his backstory will actually be this go round. Gut instinct tells me he won't be a Reed Richards knock off gone wrong again...

• Options
    Probably make him Eradicator's origin, maybe something with Brainiac.

I think his suit's better than Superman's, the black works well

• Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    agreed the black looks awesome

I saw somewhere that an all-human Hank Henshaw appeared in Team 7 but i have no idea in what capacity. perhaps they will still attach him to the death of Superman story and do another arc set before Superman #1 to explore it?

• Options
    Damn

that

that looks really cool

Go Rocafort!

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I miss the old blown-off Terminator face, but I am digging the asymmetrical claw-arm.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Rocafort can draw everything forever as far as I am concerned

dude rules

• Options
    Now, if only we could find someone to write everything forever, I could die happy.

• Options
    G-Mo

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Every new superman costume I see I like better than the current one.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Oniros25 wrote: »
    So, let's step into an alternate reality for a second where Superman is public domain. What kind of Superman stories would you like to see coming out of that (other than something by Waid, obviously)?

I am embarassed to say that I have kind of a fan fictiony thing for my vision of the character. I dunno if anyone else does this, but I do a little semi-pro writing here and there (just like extra Starbucks money for a short story once a blue moon, nothing special.) I can't resist trying to bring my own take to the table and would probably dedicate all my efforts towards that if I thought I could get it out to a wider audience that wasn't a fan fiction archive. It's decidedly not New52 style though so even in a world where I broke into comics, there's no way my ideas would get used. Lois Lane is actually important to my narriative as just an example.

Anyone else do stuff like this?

There are a lot of Superman stories that had the potential to be really good but were ruined by poor execution. For example, I always thought that the premise for Superman Returns was good. Superman disappears for a few years, comes back and has to earn the people's trust again. But what if Superman returned to discover that while he was gone, LexCorp had been protecting the earth from super villains, natural disasters, alien invasions, etc.? As a result, Luthor is the most popular/powerful person in the world and people believe in his philosophy of ruthlessly pursuing their ambition.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    I like the design but I don't think Cyborg Superman is really a character that needed to be brought back.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    The first issue of Adventures of Superman came out today. It's pretty good.

I wish the story was a bit more family friendly, since it's Superman. It's not really dark dark, especially compared to mainstream comics, and Superman is very well written.

The art is fantastic, though. There's a few pages that I'd love to see without speech-bubbles so I could use them as wallpapers.

• Options
    Said pages (not very spoilery but I'll tag them just in case)
    M7fqKBu.jpg
    NW4S0St.jpg
    img

It's awesome to have Superman back after these past few years.