As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Ys]: Adol Made a Thread

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I look forward to playing Ys VIII eventually. First it has to come out on PC, and then the price has to drop because $60 is a little more than I am willing to pay for it.

Looking forward to hearing impressions, though.

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    http://www.falcom.com/ys_vs_sora/

This is the fighting game I never knew I wanted, and that until now that I never knew existed.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    I recently replayed Oath in Felghana on Hard, years after I had first finished it. . . hoo boy, some of the bosses were just aggravating. Especially the lava dragon in the Lava Zone and the ice dragon at the end of the Elderm Mountains. Even Chester wasn't that bad. Still a great game though. Both SEVEN and VIII are on my Steam wishlist, and I'll probably pick up Ark of Naphistim soon.

• Options
    I recently replayed Oath in Felghana on Hard, years after I had first finished it. . . hoo boy, some of the bosses were just aggravating. Especially the lava dragon in the Lava Zone and the ice dragon at the end of the Elderm Mountains. Even Chester wasn't that bad. Still a great game though. Both SEVEN and VIII are on my Steam wishlist, and I'll probably pick up Ark of Naphistim soon.

Ys Seven has been a bit of a disappointment to me. I've got about 19 hours logged so far. The music isn't as catchy and the combat isn't as fun. I also kind of don't like managing more than one character. And now that I have 6 or 7 to choose from, I just don't want to bother with most of them.

I've still gotten some enjoyment out of it, but it's obviously a different game engine from Napishtim/Oath in Felghana/Origins. I'm hoping Memories of Celceta (which I've played a bit of) and Ys VIII do better with this engine.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    And then the comments question it highly with mentions of an abysmal localization. Which I suppose he doesn't argue against, but would dissuade me from paying more than $20 for it.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    As someone who never really played a Ys, the new one interests me but I'll probably wait until I can get it for at least 40.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Septus wrote: »
    And then the comments question it highly with mentions of an abysmal localization. Which I suppose he doesn't argue against, but would dissuade me from paying more than $20 for it.

I've been playing it on PS4, and it does have a fairly shoddy localization. It's kind of hard to describe, but it's like reading a fan-translated manga that was done in a hurry. It's pretty literal in the translation and feels fairly dry.

As soon as some 『 』's show up around phrases or names in an official English localization you know you're in for a ride.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I have done all the things and got the good ending. Was a fun romp!

Ys VIII that is.

More story and talking than I was expecting of Ys. Still a good fun, if not very simple, game. Well worth the money.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    I would have hoped NIS would give this as much attention as their Disgaea games, but maybe they should have let XSEED do it instead. Their previous Ys localizations were good.

• Options
    Yeah, I've enjoyed XSEED's past Ys localizations. Although from what I understand, some of them were fan translations that they bought from the translators. It sounds like they wanted to localize Ys VIII as well, but they lost out on the bid for it. Hopefully they can get us Memories of Celceta on PC.

It's a shame that the Ys VIII localization isn't great, but I also don't really play the Ys series primarily for its story. I'll still be waiting on a price drop for it once it finally comes out for PC.

• Options
    Like that Polygon review said, just hope NISA doesn't get ahold of Legend of Heroes.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    Someone has pledged to do a fan edit of Ys VIII, so maybe waiting on the PC release is a good idea. Assuming their translation is any good, of course:

• Options
    Just got linked to this:
    hxCENUG.png

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/publisher-apologizes-for-ys-viiis-bad-translation-/1100-6453953/

Well I guess I'm going to be waiting on this before I keep on going with the game!

Good on 'em for realizing the translation was... not great.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    His does restore my faith in NIS. I wonder why this wasn't caught before though - I would think they'd play through the game before sending it for ceritification to make sure everything played the way it should and the translation was properly done. As bad as this looked, I can't believe they actually missed this. Looks more like they thought the fan base wouldn't care and learned differently after release. I'm glad I held off on purchasing this. Hopefully there is a sale after the patch so that I can pick it up at a more reasonable price.

• Options
    Wow! Glad they're fixing it. I loved this particular example I saw of poor translation:

Japanese version:
    2964849-5141961663-DJ8q8.jpg

English version:
    2964850-7473334185-DJ8q-.jpg

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    It's not wrong.

But I guess I'll wait a couple months to dive back into this. It's not like I don't have a stupid number of games to play already.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    That's a big hole.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Surprising admittance, considering how lazy NISA's localizations of third party(sometimes even first party...Witch and the Hundred Knight) titles tends to be historically. People must have been hammering them harder than normal because it was an Ys title.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Didn't NISA literally change a character's name to Esty Dee at one point?

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    Yyyyyyyyup. Atelier Rorona/Totori/Meruru trilogy, the character Esty Erhard(t) was translated to Esty Dee because NISA thought it would be funny to intentionally mistranslate her name into toilet humor.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Looking at this localization, glad I told myself to hold off.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    So this thread's been inactive for over half a year, and yet Ys VIII finally got its PC release about 2 weeks ago! Sadly, it doesn't appear to have gone well. Apparently it's full of bugs and crashes! Looks like NISA is trying to address the issues, but I'm holding off on experiencing this one until either it's fixed or I end up getting a PS4.

In the meantime, XSEED revealed last month that they're bringing Ys: Memories of Celceta to the PC this summer. Hooray!

Meanwhile, I've been playing through a fan translation of Ys IV: Mask of the Sun for the Super Famicom. I'm enjoying it. It doesn't change much from the gameplay of Ys I & II. It's also really weird because Adol does a lot of talking in this one. I think he has some dialog in the original Ys III too, though, but I haven't played that one yet.

I also have a fan translated version of Ys IV: Dawn of Ys for the PC-Engine CD, which I hope to finish once I get through the Super Famicom game. This includes a full English re-recording of the voice acting, which from my brief sampling, is about on par with early-1990s game voice acting.

And I've also got a fan translated version of Ys V for the Super Famicom once I'm finished with both of those. Apparently this is the first overhead-style Ys game that made use of an actual attack button.

SteevL on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    It is a bit crazy how shitty the Ys VII PC port is, especially given the lengthy delays. What were they even doing? Does not make me feel super optimistic about the the Switch port.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    Sounds like NISA doing NISA things; business as usual for those of us who know them.

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    So I've begun an Ys vision quest. I've been in my Ys hole for a few weeks now. Three of them down so far.

Ys 1: I do not like it, Sam-I-am. I do not like roda seed jam. I found a lot of parts of it interesting. I like a lot of things about it. But fuck all of the bosses and every part of Darm Tower. That said, great music. I don't know if you guys knew that. About Ys and its music being good. Because it is.

Ys 2: Actually rad. Guaranteed diagonal hits, multiple fast travel points, the roo transformation, and tolerable boss design fixed all of my frustrations with the first game. I'm still not the biggest fan of the bump system, but you get into a kind of zen state with it and it's fine. Unlike the first game, the vaguely adventure game progression in this one is actually super satisfying because it's so much more reasonable about providing information before you need it. Fucking hammer on the pillar. Fuck you, too, Ys 1.

Ys Origin: Now, I'd actually played through Yunica's story years ago. Up until now, that was my sole exposure to this series. I liked it a whole lot at the time, but I didn't understand a damn thing going on in the story. Going back to it, it's still really fun for a playthrough or so, but I'm glad I didn't go through all three back to back. I enjoyed the final canon storyline now that I actually have context for it, but I'm not super fond of how the plot twists were divided over the three playthroughs. I understand the content limitations and potential narrative justifications, but it's still a sort of sloppy solution to try to simultaneously make the playthroughs explicitly concurrent and strangely consecutive and sometimes consistent but then not. Whatever. Not the point. I stabbed demons and found secrets and that was fun. I had attack buttons. *jazz hands*

I'd intended to jump straight into Ys VIII with its PC release, but... you know. They done bungsed that one up. Again. I might try to wait until Memories of Celceta is out to continue on. Or I might go ahead and start up Oath in Felghana. I don't know yet.
    It is a bit crazy how shitty the Ys VII PC port is, especially given the lengthy delays. What were they even doing? Does not make me feel super optimistic about the the Switch port.
    They tried to do a minimal effort hackjob to get in running in Windows and had to start from scratch when it blew up in their face. And it seems like they're doing little (if any) internal QA testing. They're just letting the community find bugs and praying that none of them are hard to fix.

Supposedly, the switch port is going to be handled by the Japanese arm of NIS rather than NISA, and is likely to be fine.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    Meanwhile, I've been playing through a fan translation of Ys IV: Mask of the Sun for the Super Famicom. I'm enjoying it. It doesn't change much from the gameplay of Ys I & II. It's also really weird because Adol does a lot of talking in this one. I think he has some dialog in the original Ys III too, though, but I haven't played that one yet.

I also have a fan translated version of Ys IV: Dawn of Ys for the PC-Engine CD, which I hope to finish once I get through the Super Famicom game. This includes a full English re-recording of the voice acting, which from my brief sampling, is about on par with early-1990s game voice acting.

And I've also got a fan translated version of Ys V for the Super Famicom once I'm finished with both of those. Apparently this is the first overhead-style Ys game that made use of an actual attack button.

I never even thought to look into the fan translations. I should check them out.

• Options
    Monger wrote: »
    So I've begun an Ys vision quest. I've been in my Ys hole for a few weeks now. Three of them down so far.

Ys 1: I do not like it, Sam-I-am. I do not like roda seed jam. I found a lot of parts of it interesting. I like a lot of things about it. But fuck all of the bosses and every part of Darm Tower. That said, great music. I don't know if you guys knew that. About Ys and its music being good. Because it is.

Ys 2: Actually rad. Guaranteed diagonal hits, multiple fast travel points, the roo transformation, and tolerable boss design fixed all of my frustrations with the first game. I'm still not the biggest fan of the bump system, but you get into a kind of zen state with it and it's fine. Unlike the first game, the vaguely adventure game progression in this one is actually super satisfying because it's so much more reasonable about providing information before you need it. Fucking hammer on the pillar. Fuck you, too, Ys 1.

Ys Origin: Now, I'd actually played through Yunica's story years ago. Up until now, that was my sole exposure to this series. I liked it a whole lot at the time, but I didn't understand a damn thing going on in the story. Going back to it, it's still really fun for a playthrough or so, but I'm glad I didn't go through all three back to back. I enjoyed the final canon storyline now that I actually have context for it, but I'm not super fond of how the plot twists were divided over the three playthroughs. I understand the content limitations and potential narrative justifications, but it's still a sort of sloppy solution to try to simultaneously make the playthroughs explicitly concurrent and strangely consecutive and sometimes consistent but then not. Whatever. Not the point. I stabbed demons and found secrets and that was fun. I had attack buttons. *jazz hands*

I'd intended to jump straight into Ys VIII with its PC release, but... you know. They done bungsed that one up. Again. I might try to wait until Memories of Celceta is out to continue on. Or I might go ahead and start up Oath in Felghana. I don't know yet.

Ys 1 is definitely rough by modern standards. Thankfully, it's also relatively short.

The Oath in Felghana is an excellent Ys game; probably my favorite of the three that use that engine. It wouldn't be a bad choice to jump into that one. And Ys Seven will probably be rough to go back to if you play Memories of Celceta or Ys VIII first since it's the first of the new group-oriented Ys games.
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I never even thought to look into the fan translations. I should check them out.

Yeah, Ys IV: Mask of the Sun's fan translation was apparently completed about 5 years ago, as was Ys V. There have been a lot of neat fan translations of old SNES games in the last decade since I looked. I've only been rediscovering them all thanks to the SNES Classic. I hadn't realized just how many neat-looking games never made it to the US.

Mask of the Sun's translation is pretty good! There were only one or two moments where I thought "Eh, that wouldn't be in an official translation." And one of them was Dogi saying "Ah, shit!" at the end of the game. And given the fact that it was Dogi, it didn't seem out of character for him.

And even though I've played through The Oath in Felghana, I'm tempted to play through Ys III: Wanderers from Ys. Not sure which version to play, though. I've got access to the SNES, Genesis, and Turbografx-CD versions, and while they're the same game, each one appears to have its strengths and weaknesses. I'm leaning toward the Turbo-CD game because of the soundtrack, but the movement and scrolling seems so much more jerky compared to the SNES/Genesis versions. I don't think I'll consider it until I've played through the Ys V and the other Ys IV first.

• Options
    I suppose I should leave my impressions of Ys IV: Mask of the Sun for Super Famicom/SNES. Like I mentioned above, it's a quality fan translation. The bump combat seemed a little trickier in this one compared to Ys I & II. The enemies tend to realign themselves with Adol when you're heading for them, which means I usually had to move sideways a little bit to hit them off-center. Adol can also only move in four directions, so none of the diagonal movement you get in the Ys I & II remakes.

The music is all right, but it lacks the oomph I tend to associate with the Ys franchise. Part of that is probably the limitations of the SNES sound chip. I've always loved the SNES for its music when done well (Yuzo Koshiro did some amazing work on Actraiser and Super Adventure Island), but here it just feels a bit off. It still has that Ys signature composition, at least.

The game feels pretty linear for most of the game, but near the end it gets a bit vague about where you're supposed to go. And that's related to my biggest complaint about the game: too many dead ends in the mazes that have nothing in them. There were a few times where I'd be walking around, find a door, walk down a long hallway that led to a room...and there was nothing in it. At least give me a treasure chest with some gold in it or something!

Some of the bosses are really easy, but the last two were a bit tricky. I have to admit that I cheated on some of them thanks to the SNES Classic's save state/rewind feature.

And again, let me re-emphasize how weird it is that Adol talks in this game. And he does it a lot.

• Options
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    A bunch of the Ys games are on sale on the Humble Store.

7% on a DLC for Ys 8, nothing on the actual game. 7% I don't even know what to say.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    I grabbed Ys Origin because it was sale on the Xbox store and loaded it up last night. I knew absolutely nothing about the series, I only grabbed it because 'action rpg' and $2.

Holy shit, how did I miss this series. I played it past the ooze spitting boss with the woman character and only turned it off because it was already late and we were losing an hour today. I'm a sucker for these types of action rpgs.

• Options
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    I grabbed Ys Origin because it was sale on the Xbox store and loaded it up last night. I knew absolutely nothing about the series, I only grabbed it because 'action rpg' and $2.

Holy shit, how did I miss this series. I played it past the ooze spitting boss with the woman character and only turned it off because it was already late and we were losing an hour today. I'm a sucker for these types of action rpgs.

If you like that one, check out The Ark of Napishtim and The Oath in Felghana. They use the same engine as Origin.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    you should play 1 and 2!

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    you should play 1 and 2!

I always recommend that one with the caveat that the bump combat might not be to everyone's liking. Personally, I think it is great.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    well bump combat, the bat boss and the completely random mechanics
    but I had fun with it yeah

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Pre-orders just opened up for Ys IX on PS4 and Switch .

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Pre-orders just opened up for Ys IX on PS4 and Switch .

And there's a Steam page here. It can be added to wishlists.

I think I've linked this site before, but Digital Emelas seems to be a good resource on the Ys series. What's weird is how they completely ignore the old versions of Ys IV for Super Famicom and PC-Engine CD. I'm guessing it's because they're essentially no longer canon after the release of Celceta a few years back.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    So i started playing Ys VIII and uh

I got to a chameleon boss who was guarding a bridge and fought him until i fell off, then the boss flipped upside down and i was able to multihit the back of its head for like 8-10 hits per swing until it fell down and blew up

That doesn't really track with my experience with the rest of the bosses, is that a glitch or....