As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EAST] Pax East Wizard Duel

MorgansternMorganstern Registered User regular
edited March 2013 in PAX East
WizardDuel_zps43d6821a.png

The three great wizard schools of the east coast have long been intramural sports rivals, but the desire to see which academy truly stands above all others has passed beyond the realm of mere football and relay races. It's time to settle this once and for all... with magic!

So here's how it'll work. Players will join one of three colleges of magic and duel members of rival colleges throughout the weekend. Each player will receive a deck of 61 cards. This deck will contain:

1 Wizard ID card
WDBolt_zps6c191ed5.png 20 Bolt cards
WDBlast_zps10e42d02.png 20 Blast Cards
WDShield_zpse45df1f6.png and 20 Shield cards

When you meet a rival wizard, call out a gravitas-laden challenge that will shake the heavens with it's fury (but not too loud). Each wizard will then select a card from his or her deck and reveal them dramatically at the same time.

A WDBolt_zps6c191ed5.png Bolt is a quick spell that strikes first to defeat the more complex WDBlast_zps10e42d02.png Blast.
A WDBlast_zps10e42d02.png Blast effects a large area and will easily circumvent a WDShield_zpse45df1f6.png Shield
A WDShield_zpse45df1f6.png Shield spell creates a wall of force that can ward off any WDBolt_zps6c191ed5.png Bolt.

The wizard with the victorious spell is... victorious! If wizards cast the same spell, they strike each other in an explosion that would easily deplete any special effects budget. The wizards then pick a new spell and the duel continues until one is defeated.

The triumphant wizard claims all cards his or her opponent used in the duel. After PAX the cards will be counted, titles will be handed out, and the school with the most spells from their rival schools will be declared the winner!

Deck ordering is closed due to time constraints. If anyone still wishes to order a deck and wants to take the risk of not having in time for Pax, send me a PM.

ALI_zpsa8dfe481.png

IGA_zpsc3a2fca2.png

UoEF_zpse1b4e46c.png

Twitter hashtag: #paxwizardduel

Meetups:
Friday, Saturday Sunday - 3pm
Into The Pixel Art Galery

FAQ:

Do I add cards I take from opponents to my deck?

No. You can only cast spells from your school as indicated by your ID card and button. The cards you get from wining duels are solely to record victory points.

What if I run out of cards?

I don't anticipate this being an issue. Your deck contains 70 spell cards, so on average that gives you around 140 duels over the course of the weekend. Since it looks like at most you'll be facing around 25 other duelists from your two opposition schools you should have plenty of cards to last the weekend.

Morganstern on

• Options
    KapolKapol Registered User regular
    I think it's an interesting concept and might consider joining. But one big issue you didn't mention is how to tell members from other schools apart among the crowd. You mentioned an ID card, but that wouldn't be very practical to wear by itself.

• Options
    I figured the ID card would have a big school symbol on it so you could see it from far away and people could tape it to their lanyard or pass. The only other thing I could think of was Buttons, but that would be an extra expense and I'd have to figure out some way of distributing them.

• Options
    How about I post high-resolution versions of the school symbols here and then people could make their own stickers or some other way of showing their school colors, plus you'd have the ID cards as backup.

• Options
    thorshaukthorshauk Registered User regular
    I'm intrigued.

• Options
    That might work better. The ID card might work by itself, but having the option to have other methods of showing it would also give the option to people.

• Options
    KomiKomi Registered User regular
    This sounds like a large PAX sized three-way Rock Paper Scissors tournament.

I may very well be interested in this, but a way to mark yourself clearly is definitely a concern.

-PAX Prime 2014-
    [x]In awe that my 30 minute badge window prediction was pretty close to accurate.
    [x]Badge (HOLYCRAPIGOTA4DAY!)
    [x]Hotel
    [ ]Airfare
    [ ]Buttoneering Buttons
    [ ]Challenge Coin
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I was going to get the cards made up at The Game Crafter, but if someone knows somewhere else where you can get both cards and some kind of sticker or button in one order that would be great.

Morganstern on
  • Options
    ElfertonElferton Registered User regular
    I really love this idea, but I feel like you'd want something more...obvious...to be able to distinguish a friendly or opposing wizard from across a busy room. And, ideally, something that people can have some fun with.

Like maybe general suiting guidelines? Like...

School A all wears hats with ears
    School B all wears leather pants
    School C all wears Paisley

• Options
    Perhaps once teams are decided, they can get together and come up with their own way to stand out. Pointy hats encouraged!

I have some preliminary card art I put together, I'll post it up when I get home.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Ice Bolt:
    WDIceBolt_zps4c51b00d.jpg

Ice Burst:
    WDIceBurst_zpse01cfaec.jpg

Ice Shield:
    WDIceShield_zps26192c38.jpg

Super awesome Arcane Circle brushes by Obsidian Dawn

I made them up Tarot Card size but although they are larger they are a little thin. There's a Jumbo size, but that would make the decks more expensive and the more I think about it the more I see the merits of a standard poker deck that can fit in a pocket.

Morganstern on
  • Options
    MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    That sounds pretty cool. I'd probably be interested.

1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    Count me in if there is a critical mass of people interested.

• Options
    scrattatatscrattatat BostonRegistered User regular
    This could be a ton of fun, I'm always looking for reasons to flaunt my wizard robe.

a4VADIl.png eDL5zgd.png
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Fire Spells:
    WDFirepv_zpsef7f5ed6.png

Morganstern on
  • Options
    nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    I definitely could be interested in this. I do think we would need some sort of way to stand out other than the ID cards. I know at least for me a sticker on my badge would not be doable. @Elforton has a good general idea I feel with those of us in individual schools choosing something and letting everyone else know.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    And Lightning Spells:
    WDLitpv2_zps901b56bb.png

Morganstern on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Well, there seems to be interest in this and the card art is coming along rather quickly, so I'm going to go ahead and declare this officially a "thing".

Which of these prestigious schools of magic will you fight for?

The lightning mages of the Arclight Institute are known for their agility and quick thinking. They favor Bolt spells to win matches before their opponent knows what hit them.

Ice mages from Ironglacier Academy know that the best defense is a really, really good defense. Unsurprisingly they are known for their stalwart Shield spells.

The passionate and impulsive fire mages from the University of Everflame tend to be as wild as their chosen element. Their mastery of Burst spells is not to be taken lightly.

Wizards, the time has come to choose a side. Reply here to be added to your school's roster.

Enrollment is now open!

Also, I think I'm going to go with Poker size cards to make the decks easier to carry around. This puts the cost at around $7-$8. Note that for that price they do not come in a box. If the general consensus is that people would like a tuck box to carry them around in I can have them made up, but that increases the deck price to around $10.

Morganstern on
  • Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    I like this :) the OP says every deck is split 20/20/20 but the school descriptions seem to lend themselves the decks being slightly different (ice having more shields, lightning more bolts, fire more bursts). Do you think you will change them up a bit or will that just add difficulty on the organizing end?

HI3789R.png
  • Options
    Hmmm... I'm torn. I think I'm going to join. But I'm having a hard time choosing the school. I've always been one for electricity, but I prefer the blue art. But I'm confident I'm going to join in any case.

Quick questions: How will payments be handled, and when will we get our deck? I do think that a tuck box is worth the extra $2 though. Otherwise it'll end up as a case of "How do I hold all these limes?"

• Options
    edited February 2013
    -accidental double post, my appologies-

Kapol on
  • Options
    punzie wrote: »
    I like this :) the OP says every deck is split 20/20/20 but the school descriptions seem to lend themselves the decks being slightly different (ice having more shields, lightning more bolts, fire more bursts). Do you think you will change them up a bit or will that just add difficulty on the organizing end?

That's just flavor for now. I was toying around with the decks being 30/15/15, but in the end I thought it would be better to go straight up even (unless people feel the uneven decks would add something to the game).
    Kapol wrote: »
    Quick questions: How will payments be handled, and when will we get our deck?

I'm getting the decks made up at The Game Crafter and when they're ready you'll be able to order directly from them.

• Options
    It would really depend on how flavorful you want the game to be. If you'd like it to be a bit lore-based, than I'd say uneven could be looked into. But a massive difference like 30/15/15 seems a bit much (at least to me). Personally I'd say something more like 24/18/18 would be better. Enough to give the school choice a bit more meaning without cutting off the other spells entirely. That's my take on it at least.

• Options
    nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    I like the idea of having uneven decks but that may be because I bought into the lore as I read it. I could see where 30/15/15 would definitely provide an interesting dynamic and with it being a rock-paper-scissors type of gameplay I don't see any problem with such a drastic difference it really allows you to buy in regarding the aspects of the class you choose. While I would still play with even decks I think it would make my choice completely arbitrary.

• Options
    PopinskiPopinski Registered User regular
    Pretty stoked about this game. My girlfriend and I love the idea. Also sounds like a great way to meet some people!

• Options
    AsmodeusLoreAsmodeusLore Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    This looks very interesting. I'd like to join in.

I also support the idea of your choice of school having an effect on your deck, by giving you more of your school's favored spell, and fewer of the other spells.

As far as identifying other wizards, we could each wear a button with our school's favored spell, to show our allegiance. Buttons are fairly cheap. Usually less than a dollar.

AsmodeusLore on
  • Options
    It seems like people like the idea of the non-uniform decks. The way the decks are printed they can actually be 72 cards without increasing the price, so how about just adding more cards of the chosen school? The spread I'm thinking of right now is 30/20/20.

I also have a Wizard ID idea, but it's going to take a bit of prototyping. I'll be back later.

• Options
    FugitoidFugitoid New York, USARegistered User regular
    It seems like people like the idea of the non-uniform decks. The way the decks are printed they can actually be 72 cards without increasing the price, so how about just adding more cards of the chosen school? The spread I'm thinking of right now is 30/20/20.

I also have a Wizard ID idea, but it's going to take a bit of prototyping. I'll be back later.

Something to consider, when making the decks different. By assigning more cards of a certain type to each school, it will tip their hand a bit when people are challenging one another. For instance, if a player chose University of Everflame because they want more burst cards, they are more likely to use a burst card.

It actually adds a bit more intrigue to the game.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Fugitoid wrote: »
    It actually adds a bit more intrigue to the game.

That's the idea!

As far as the IDs go, Buttons would be great, but the problem with getting school specific button is that the minimum order is 50 and getting 3 batches could get expensive. What I could do, though, is get a bunch of 1 generic Wizard Duel button and have a place on the ID cards to punch holes for the button to go into. The result would be something like this (probably with a larger button):
    photo2_zps7980f23f.jpg

The only problem would be how to distribute the buttons themselves.

Morganstern on
  • Options
    iltailta Registered User regular
    I'm totally in. I'm also glad to see the decks get tipped a bit, should add to the metagame.

The button-plus-paper idea works well for me. As for distribution, you could do a distributed give-out, where you designate a place to pick up decks for some number of hours at the start of the con (perhaps the Merch line?) and each time someone picks up a deck, they can opt to pick up a few extras as well. Then, anyone can pick up a deck from an opponent they encounter on the floor.

Obviously you'll have to be on your honor not to double-pick, or abscond with one of the decks. But we are a pretty honorable bunch, it seems.

Note that this doesn't work if people have to pay for the decks (wasn't sure if this was a free thing or if we're paying for it).

• Options
    I'm totally in. I'm also glad to see the decks get tipped a bit, should add to the metagame.

The button-plus-paper idea works well for me. As for distribution, you could do a distributed give-out, where you designate a place to pick up decks for some number of hours at the start of the con (perhaps the Merch line?) and each time someone picks up a deck, they can opt to pick up a few extras as well. Then, anyone can pick up a deck from an opponent they encounter on the floor.

Obviously you'll have to be on your honor not to double-pick, or abscond with one of the decks. But we are a pretty honorable bunch, it seems.

Note that this doesn't work if people have to pay for the decks (wasn't sure if this was a free thing or if we're paying for it).

• Options
    edited February 2013
    The place I'm getting the decks from is a print-on-demand game publisher, so you'll be able to order directly from them when the art is ready. Speaking of, I expect the decks will be ready to order some time next week, if not sooner.

Morganstern on
  • Options
    ElfertonElferton Registered User regular
    This is awesome.

The buttons + paper look cool. I'm still gonna wear a hat with ears, though, damnit!

• Options
    Card backs are done:
    WDcardbacks_zpsddc18429.jpg

• Options
    MarsCheliosMarsChelios Registered User regular
    As far as the IDs go, Buttons would be great, but the problem with getting school specific button is that the minimum order is 50 and getting 3 batches could get expensive. What I could do, though, is get a bunch of 1 generic Wizard Duel button and have a place on the ID cards to punch holes for the button to go into. The result would be something like this (probably with a larger button):
    This is an awesome idea and I can't wait to see how it works out! The button issue you're talking about is one I ran into as well. I needed to print out 150-200+ buttons and split them over 24 designs. Took a while but I finally found a site that will do that within a single order: justbuttons.org. They will allow 3 designs in an order for free and then a small charge after that so it should be perfect with your 3 schools.

• Options
    Took a while but I finally found a site that will do that within a single order: justbuttons.org. They will allow 3 designs in an order for free and then a small charge after that so it should be perfect with your 3 schools.

Interesting. I'll defiantly look into it!

Here's a mock up of the ID card & Button combo:
    WDIDnButton_zps06ed90e7.png

The decks are pretty much done and should be ready to order within the next day or two.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Well, that was quick.

The decks are all done, and I'm ordering a round of them to double check and make sure everything's set. As soon as I ok the finished product I'll put up the links for ordering.

Also, the printer won't ship the game without a box, so the final price looks to be $8.08 + shipping (which I think is about $6). I went with unprinted boxes to keep costs down, and they're slightly bigger than the deck so you have a place to store cards you pick up along the way.

Morganstern on
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Change of plans!

Apparently there's slightly more turnaround than I thought (the decks I ordered today have an approximate ship date of March 4th) so I'm going to put up the links so people can get their orders in. Deck ordering is live!!

ALI_zpsa8dfe481.png

IGA_zpsc3a2fca2.png

UoEF_zpse1b4e46c.png

Let me know if there's any ordering problems.

Morganstern on
  • Options
    Any chance of doing a bulk order and saving on shipping? Anyone want in on that?

• Options
    Buttons are ordered (from JustButtons, thanks for the tip). Now I just have to figure out the best way of distributing them.

• Options
    hadiwisthadiwist Nashville, TNRegistered User regular
    Everflame cards ordered. Thanks for putting this together!