As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat]bowl

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Listen, you can probably blame a lot of Japan's weirdness on the occupation

Honestly there's not much that's really weird about Japan other than perhaps their love of sea creatures, which makes total sense. What with it being an island. Maybe it's weird by Western standards, but aren't all its quirky traits shared in some way with at least a few other nearby countries? The drug thing, the way the police work, etc. all are not particularly out of place for the region.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    And apparently I'm a "Regular"?

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Witches are ok if you use Aquila throw the disc attack. Makes them easy. In fact, throw the disc nonstop on everyone. Sweep with the scythe, knock some dudes in the air, hit with dumb rock fists and then ground pound with axe. You'll be SSS in no time.

I don't remember what enemy shoots spines?

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular

I am typically unconvinced by this line of reasoning regarding most things

But in the case of drug policy, you're looking at an extended occupation by one of the most hardline anti-drug nations, during a generation that was brainwashed into thinking that weed is the most evil thing in the entire world

It's hard to imagine some of that not rubbing off on the Japanese

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Japan is the same country where to keep the cop number artificially high they ignore a lot of crimes. Drugs seems p easy to prove though, I imagine.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

That plus "rapid modernization" covers a lot of the "why" when it comes to Japan, I feel.

Yeah, but if you use their rapid modernization, you also have to look at the causes behind the Meiji Restoration.

• Options
    There is a lot that is fairly strange about Japan.

But it is trumped by S Korea believing in fan death.

• Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    oh yeah, the aquila disc attack was my goto for lots of things

even before the game got cheap and told me to use it on invisible enemies, i was doin that >B)

I just think they're pretty boring to fight. I get that they're there to trip you up but the disc is an easy fix to that and then they just teleport around and make you chase them. snoooore

what the fuck teleport is too a word, chrome

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    Fans are fucking deadly bro.

• Options
  • Options
    Adult binge drinking, incredible company loyalty, panty vending machines, herbivore men, insane national debt owned by private citizens, horrible JRPGs these days, etc.

Japan! You so cray cray! I love you!

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    fKRqCdh.jpg

Spock is an Adventure Time fan?

• Options
    KOREANS KNOW FANS OK SO EVERYONE TURN OFF YOUR FAN

• Options
    I'm going to sleep now. If I don't come back, a fan got me.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Honestly there's not much that's really weird about Japan other than perhaps their love of sea creatures, which makes total sense.

It's all a bit overblown since the notion of Japan as a very regimented, orderly society is so overplayed in the media and in school, and then runs headlong into "Meanwhile, in Japan.." memes on the internet.

But it remains a more homogenous and impenetrable place than we're accustomed to seeing in the age of globalization. And therefore, strange. There's a great Cracked article that was posted recently on all the surprising things about Japan. Like how backwards some aspects of the economy are, with a largely cash-driven society and ATMs that close at 6 along with the banks.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Witches are ok if you use Aquila throw the disc attack. Makes them easy. In fact, throw the disc nonstop on everyone. Sweep with the scythe, knock some dudes in the air, hit with dumb rock fists and then ground pound with axe. You'll be SSS in no time.

I think he means the Rage's

• Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    Tarranon wrote: »
    you can't post sad cuts off that album without this music video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6GiYGaVEpg

Exactly, this is the shit I'm talking about.

This is emotional terrorism.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Honestly there's not much that's really weird about Japan other than perhaps their love of sea creatures, which makes total sense.

It's all a bit overblown since the notion of Japan as a very regimented, orderly society is so overplayed in the media and in school, and then runs headlong into "Meanwhile, in Japan.." memes on the internet.

But it remains a more homogenous and impenetrable place than we're accustomed to seeing in the age of globalization. And therefore, strange. There's a great Cracked article that was posted recently on all the surprising things about Japan. Like how backwards some aspects of the economy are, with a largely cash-driven society and ATMs that close at 6 along with the banks.

That is true, it's extremely homogeneous. Going into the subway is sort of... shocking with the lack of diversity.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I just googled South Korea Fan Death

I wish I had not

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Adult binge drinking, incredible company loyalty, panty vending machines, herbivore men, insane national debt owned by private citizens, horrible JRPGs these days, etc.

Panty vending machines don't really exist.

Not sure what you mean by herbivore men as meat is a pretty staple part of the standard diet.

Adult binge drinking isn't exactly unique to Japan.

Ni no Kuni just came out and is the shit JRPG wise.

Not sure about the company loyalty and the debt bits.

A lot of Japan being weird is way overblown. Half the things I see online that are "Oh Japan" either aren't even in Japan, represent an incredible minority of the people in Japan or happen in many other places too.

• Options

I think he means the Rage's

Definitely axe shockwave on reds and aquila on blues. You stun blue w/ aquila and ground pound/hit the reds over and over til they're dead.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    I dedicate page 83 to Thanatos

got damn lol
    o_O

WTF?

• Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    on the plus side i did like the sort of ikaruga thing they pulled with red and blue enemies

especially in the night club

i think that might be my favorite level. it had lots of fun ideas, great scenery, and best of all tons of spots with nothing to do but pound demons for minutes on end

i hope they build on their ideas for the sequel. it could be pretty dang special

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    Inquisitor, agreed on all your points except that I just want to point out that co-workers being able to suggest that everyone goes out and gets drunk after work is fucking awesome, and this particular aspect of Japanese culture needs to work its way back into business culture in the US, where unless you're Don Draper, it doesn't fly.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

Panty vending machines don't really exist.

Not sure what you mean by herbivore men as meat is a pretty staple part of the standard diet.

Adult binge drinking isn't exactly unique to Japan.

Ni no Kuni just came out and is the shit JRPG wise.

Not sure about the company loyalty and the debt bits.

A lot of Japan being weird is way overblown. Half the things I see online that are "Oh Japan" either aren't even in Japan, represent an incredible minority of the people in Japan or happen in many other places too.

I think the company loyalty thing is a lot more from the 70s and 80s, where if you got a white collar job you could pretty stay there 'til retirement.

Then they hit the depression and that's noooot really true any more, though maybe still more than in the US.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Waking up to pop ups is always a little unnerving. But there's always a special relief when it's just forum spam rather than an infraction.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Tarranon wrote: »
    on the plus side i did like the sort of ikaruga thing they pulled with red and blue enemies

especially in the night club

i think that might be my favorite level. it had lots of fun ideas, great scenery, and best of all tons of spots with nothing to do but pound demons for minutes on end

i hope they build on their ideas for the sequel. it could be pretty dang special

the sound in that level thumping through my astros got me so pumped

and that lady was such a bitch so of course i beat the shit out of her and her awful spawn

• Options

I'm of the opinion that most of the 'weird' stuff is because Japan is an island and very homogenous and... I don't really know the right word, but keeps within itself and doesn't necessarily integrate stuff from outside? I have the concept but words fail me. Anyway, every culture has some really weird shit, but since Japan has a fairly insular culture, the weird shit is not shared by anyone else. So we can point and laugh at their tentacle hentai while we have people here drawing anthropomorphic horses sexing foxes and it doesn't occur to us that we're looking into a distorted mirror.

• Options
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Kana wrote: »
    I think the company loyalty thing is a lot more from the 70s and 80s, where if you got a white collar job you could pretty stay there 'til retirement.

Without a lot of mobility, though. Since other prospective companies you might go and work for already had their ranks filled by loyal, long-time employees. So, yes, you were a salaryman for life. But on the negative side, you were a salaryman for life.

Edit: Basically, Penn & Teller were right. Nostalgia is bullshit.

Zoku Gojira on
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor, agreed on all your points except that I just want to point out that co-workers being able to suggest that everyone goes out and gets drunk after work is fucking awesome, and this particular aspect of Japanese culture needs to work its way back into business culture in the US, where unless you're Don Draper, it doesn't fly.

You should move to NZ, where you don't even need to go out, you can just use the company fridge. (Only on Friday though, or else it'll be weird)

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    it was probably a dumb fad thing but they also did donut heads recently!

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Vagrant Story is 100% better when you realize how affinities work.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Mortious wrote: »

You should move to NZ, where you don't even need to go out, you can just use the company fridge. (Only on Friday though, or else it'll be weird)

:shock:

I already like New Zealand's recent impressive rollback of government bureaucracy, mixed with respect for the preservation of their wilderness. This might be the tipping point where I decide to just move there.

Thank you.

Zoku Gojira on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Panty vending machines do exist, in the sense that there are a tiny handful of them, and they are all in the renowned red light/ pervosexual district of Tokyo

The fact that they got extended as a concept in Western perception as a thing that crossed the nation was entirely fictional, though

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Modest Mouse are great

Float On is a go-to pick me up song

• Options

This looks just like the awful knee jerk journalism you see in the states about how men aren't really true men anymore, and I doubt it is anymore true in this article than the ones we see here.

I am reminded of a video I watched on the katana, and basically, how, for some reason, if we read about a viking sword named "stone splitter" or something we all enjoy it for a nice myth. But if we read about a katana that could slice through metal armor we all go "oh wow katanas are such good swords."

• Options
    it was probably a dumb fad thing but they also did donut heads recently!

Hah, also funny you mention donut heads because yeah, that is a perfect example. The only people that did donut heads in Japan was a small sub sction of the already very niche body mod scene, and other countries around the world also have such scenes and such donut heads, probably in greater numbers.

But it ends up as Japan olol for some reason.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Panty vending machines do exist, in the sense that there are a tiny handful of them, and they are all in the renowned red light/ pervosexual district of Tokyo

The fact that they got extended as a concept in Western perception as a thing that crossed the nation was entirely fictional, though

I'm sure I remember QI claiming that they introduced by a Brit, but I don't want to google for this at work to check the validity.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options

I hear they do not exist anymore, they weren't around for very long to my knowledge.

This discussion has been closed.