As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Choose your Own [Mini-Phalla] - GAME OVER, VILLAGE AND EBUM VICTORY

1343536373840»

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    If force ghost is an Athan, serial killers who have a one-time guard that has a "even works on the vote!" caveat are Athans.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    but he had a role that pretty strongly stated "you tried to vote for me, therefore the vote failed" compared to "you tried to vote for me gravity decided you voted for someone else instead"

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    The Persona phalla that just occurred.

Retaba on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Retaba wrote: »
    I had fun, I like getting seer roles. I'll think about balance and read things. The CYOA was fun and my concerns are already touched upon (CYOA for players etc.) maybe a pm CYOA and they all tie into narration at the end of the day.

The Seer-guard was odd. I was wondering why it was included because I haven't seen that before and it made me a bit cocky at the end. But the direction the game went and combined with it being directed by the players to a great degree was nice! We stopped Geth from turning to evil. You're welcome Forum! :P

Holy shit I hadn't even thought about this. D:

...does this make us heroes for screwing up and outing ourselves? Like, we contributed to Geth's continued goodness? :lol:

(Further to the "It was fun" note, I should add that I'm probably being more blunt about the balance issues than I would if I wasn't battling a sinus infection. I will probably look back at this in like a week and send Langly an apology.)

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Langly thanks for hosting this.

I'm definitely going to consider redoing what I have done with my currently planned phalla and try to build off of some of this. I definitely like the idea of a proboard for the dead, since it makes being day 1'd slightly less crummy, even if I didn't participate as much as I should have.

Also for the future, probably best to either stick to your guns on the original vote close for day 1 or tell people to submit a notification (be it in thread or PM). I can't remember if that was what got INANTP killed or not, but I can't help but feel that puts people with powers where you need to make sure the vote doesn't kill your target in an awkward spot or not.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Langly thanks for hosting this.

I'm definitely going to consider redoing what I have done with my currently planned phalla and try to build off of some of this. I definitely like the idea of a proboard for the dead, since it makes being day 1'd slightly less crummy, even if I didn't participate as much as I should have.

Also for the future, probably best to either stick to your guns on the original vote close for day 1 or tell people to submit a notification (be it in thread or PM). I can't remember if that was what got INANTP killed or not, but I can't help but feel that puts people with powers where you need to make sure the vote doesn't kill your target in an awkward spot or not.

Yeah, as a personal preference I dislike variable vote closes. I know it's fairly common near the end of games, but I don't like "I'll end the day when all orders and votes get in." Even though most times it won't matter, sometimes I'll be wanting shenanigans, or I'll be wanting more time to convince people of stuff or such.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    ENLIGHTENEDBUM SHOULD BE KILLING OMINOUSLOZENGE TONIGHT WITH A GUN.

SaberOverEasy (6) : OminousLozenge, Retaba, Baidol, Gandalf, enlightenedbum, Obifett
    enlightenedbum (3) : Bedlam, invictus, anialos
    Gandalf (2) : romanqwerty, zombiehero
    Anialos (1): Baidol
    Cayrus (1): SLyM
    Invicus (1): Enlightenedbum
    zombiehero (capfalcon) (1): Gandalf

This is wrong, I think. Obi voted for me, because he's Sigmund fucking Freud or something.

Yes, Gandalf, I am.

:P

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Dead proboards are a really cool thing. I know I want to talk to folks after I die every time.

I would participate in them even if they had no functionality on the game.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    We used to have dead threads, but we sacrificed those in favor of simultaneous games. It was a good trade.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Dead proboards are a really cool thing. I know I want to talk to folks after I die every time.

I would participate in them even if they had no functionality on the game.

I've considered the thought of trying to have a dead proboard just for chatting after the game. I think I decided against it, but can't recall why.

Steam profile
  • Options
    @Cayrus Sorry for tricking you into not attacking me even though I knew you were going to die.

• Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Proper Athan/Giovanni roles always get revealed when put to the vote. And generally have a ton of other methods by the host to make sure players know what's up.

If I were playing the only thing I would have done different is explicitly say that the village should choose a proper second place. I think they sort of ended up doing that anyways, not sure if anyone said they should out loud. In fact it's something a village should always keep in mind when the player count gets low enough for shenanigans.

Nthing that this was a really, really cool game to lurk. Thanks for hosting!

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I yelled it pretty fucking loudly. Because I am not insane.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I probably missed it while skimming over all of Gandalf's walls of text about how everyone should totally vote out the neutral that was formed in the same way as jdark was :P

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    I knew it was wrong and I argued a lot, you guys don't know how many posts I typed up in response to Gandalf and deleted. At the end I just decided to have Invictus attack Ebum for two reasons 1) I thought Invictus was mafia and it was all a ploy 2) Removing Ebum would of streamed lined the game a bit so everyone would be focused on village/mafia. Even though he was village the yellow thing threw me.

Sometimes I didn't make the best decision but it worked out so :^:

• Options
    I knew it was wrong and I argued a lot, you guys don't know how many posts I typed up in response to Gandalf and deleted. At the end I just decided to have Invictus attack Ebum for two reasons 1) I thought Invictus was mafia and it was all a ploy 2) Removing Ebum would of streamed lined the game a bit so everyone would be focused on village/mafia. Even though he was village the yellow thing threw me.

Sometimes I didn't make the best decision but it worked out so :^:

This is because you were paying attention! :D

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    True, but all the other information I had said "nope" and I guess in the end I ignored that. Invictus saved the day!

What would of happened had Ebum died?

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Someone else would have become him

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    We used to have dead threads, but we sacrificed those in favor of simultaneous games. It was a good trade.

"Sacrificed" it like we were the pro-gun side during a gun control debate.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    True, but all the other information I had said "nope" and I guess in the end I ignored that. Invictus saved the day!

What would of happened had Ebum died?

If there was a marked person left, they would become him, if not, he'd be dead and the faction game would have continued

• Options
    Ah ok. So everything was fine! Hooray.

• Options
    Baidol did an amazing thing though.

Shalmelo was good minion even though the first thing I asked him to do was to talk to a mafia member and reveal he was the seer's mouth piece.

It is like no matter who I seer, they are going to die on purpose or just through accident!

• Options
    B:L wrote: »

I am uncertain what this means.

Steam profile
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    What it means is B:L said a thing.

(This is how I interpret all B:L posts.)

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    B:L wrote: »

I am uncertain what this means.
    He's saying the pro-gun side would be happy to "sacrifice" gun control, like we purportedly were to sacrifice dead threads.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Baidol did an amazing thing though.

Shalmelo was good minion even though the first thing I asked him to do was to talk to a mafia member and reveal he was the seer's mouth piece.

It is like no matter who I seer, they are going to die on purpose or just through accident!

AWLMASTER DOES WHAT AWLMASTER CAN

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Operation SHOCK AND AWL paid off.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    The plays that were made:

I stand by every argument I made in the past couple days, with the sole exception of my suspicions re: Baidol being converted.

If there is one and only one player in the game who does not have a village or mafia coloring, and is talking about "removing members from the consensus/village/whatever" YOU KILL HIM. Full stop, that is objectively good advice. This offense is doubly awful given the fact that the village was planning to kill him anyway with a vig...wouldn't it have been smarter to vig the guy who just survived the vote, and vote for the other guy you want to kill?

If you can't come up with a reasonable scenario in which my vote is relevant to Baidol's death, IGNORE IT. Don't work from ignorance or "well it kinda looks like..." No. Stop. The mafia thrives on that shit in most games. I'm guilty of it too at times, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea. For all you knew, Slym threw his vote down next to mine just to make me look involved. Work with what you know, not with what you don't.

If a player survives the vote, DO NOT VOTE FOR HIM THE NEXT DAY. It worked out for you this time, that's great! But people need to recognize that Athan roles are a thing. Every time someone says, "Nah, that'd be silly." a Phallangel dies.

The Athan play, the Baidol wagon, all of it...it was an arguably bad play. I can only say that with things stacked against us the way they were (as discussed above), we felt like extraordinary risks were justified. We assumed the village would try to kill the non-Slym mafia before coming back to Slym. We assumed the village would do the smart thing.

As usual, in Phalla, that turned out to be a bad assumption, and it got us killed. :lol: So in that sense, our loss was entirely our fault.

I haven't looked at the responses to this yet, but here's the schtick: your absolute claims are unfounded. This was very clearly a case of generalization being no good. I would have been entirely on your side had it not been the relatively-obvious case that Slym's survival was a matter of specific location/day context. Put aside the decisions I made at 1:59; those are clearly bad decisions made because of time pressure.

So here's the point: i took all of your arguments seriously and that's why I wanted to vig ebum at the end, but the vehemence with which you offered them actually undercut your point. It's really important that you always acknowledge other approaches, and the singleminded way you approached it smacked of someone who was arguing to an end, and not from a set of evidence.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    The specific outcome cannot undercut the general rule, though. Over time, you'll be fucked more often than not if you do things like ignoring funny-colored neutrals who are going around "marking" people with claimed fluff that makes no sense.

Same with arguing based on hypothetical scenarios you can't explain, voting for people who survived the vote, and (@ObiFett) nebulous psych analysis based on a joke.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Although that reminds me, re:you vigging Slym, why did that get confirmed in narration? Order of actions should have taken Slym out via the vote before Invictus had his kill go off.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg