Options

Crafters Unite! Stitch N' Bitch

StephidabefidaStephidabefida Registered User regular
edited March 2013 in PAX East
Updated 3/7

Let's craft it up at PAX! The crafting panel Geeks Get +5 to Crafting has been scheduled for 12PM. Right now the plan is to meet in handheld at 1:30PM with tabletop as the backup location. I can't wait to meet everyone!

Updated on 2/23-
There is definitely enough interest for a meetup! Once the schedule is announced we can figure out a time/place. Right now the plan is after the crafting panel, which is on Saturday. I'm not sure where a good location would be inside the convo center, but we have time on that one still. Any help on bringing this together is much appreciated! Here's what I have so far!

Who is this for?- Anyone who is interested in crafting! Doesn't matter if it's crochet, knitting, paper craft, jewelry making or anything else you can think of. Please come if you are a seasoned expert, beginner or somewhere in between!

What to bring- Whatever projects you are working on, want to start, or need help on. Even if you don't have anything in mind just come and hang out! Also, a couple people were talking about a craft swap. I think that's a pretty cool idea! So bring along any supplies or finished projects you would like to swap!

If anyone else has any more ideas let me know so I can add them here! Yay! I'm super excited to meet everyone!

Also, I thought this was the second craft meetup at PAX East, but it's the third so Stitch N Bitch 2: Eclectic Boogaloo won't work. But I'm trying to come up with a new name that's a play on the name of a third movie in a series, because I'm a dork like that.

Last year there was the Stitch n' Bitch get together for knitters, crocheters and crafters, which I unfortunately just discovered or I totally would have gone. Is anyone interested in doing something like that this year? Is anyone already planning something like this? I think I looked pretty thoroughly through the PAX East posts but I haven't been nearly as active on here as I was in past years and might have missed it! Thanks!

bftgk95jb551.png

Stephidabefida on

• Options
    AboutLastNightAboutLastNight Whitney Registered User regular
    I just started learning how to crochet last year so I would love to attend something like this

• Options
    ZombiRificZombiRific Registered User regular
    I'd be interested in a Stitch n' Bitch! I knit (not well) and crochet (decently) and I always have a project or two in the works.

• Options
    csiknittercsiknitter Registered User new member
    I would be interested in joining.... if you didn't gather from my screen name I knit :-)

• Options
    VictoryofthepplVictoryoftheppl Community Outreach Coordinator @ Gamers Outreach Registered User regular
    Cant do any of those, but i know how to make bracelets! XD I can still come?

MEfw2yy.png

Team [E] <3
  • Options
    cookiekrushcookiekrush Registered User regular
    I'm trying to learn how to crochet (I'm terrible at it) but I do a lot of other crafts! Paper star balls, lucky stars, and no sew projects are my speciality. I've love to meet up if something is arranged.

Pinny Pals - open to trading!
    Looking for Edith Finch Pin!
  • Options
    I'm trying to learn how to crochet (I'm terrible at it) but I do a lot of other crafts! Paper star balls, lucky stars, and no sew projects are my speciality. I've love to meet up if something is arranged.

I can teach the basics, but I'm still trying to learn advanced techniques. I'd be happy to teach you

• Options
    Sleepy KittySleepy Kitty Registered User regular
    this meetup usually happens during a panel or other event , but time allowing I would stop by , I crochet and can knit the basics , also do needlepoint, latch hook, just getting into perler beads ( made some tardis magnets ) etc

• Options
    cookiekrushcookiekrush Registered User regular
    I can teach the basics, but I'm still trying to learn advanced techniques. I'd be happy to teach you

You're awesome! I still have trouble with it, but I'm trying!

Pinny Pals - open to trading!
    Looking for Edith Finch Pin!
  • Options

You're awesome! I still have trouble with it, but I'm trying!

:) I would love to team up with a more advanced crocheter because its so much easier learning in person rather than from books or online tutorials.

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    i would not really consider myself advanced, but i do crochet quite a bit and would love to join you all!

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    Awesome! I'm so glad people are interested in doing this! I'm a beginner when it comes to crochet, but I'm having a lot of fun with it. Maybe we can come up with a time/place when the schedule is released? I know there will be a crafting panel at some point so maybe after that?
    Cant do any of those, but i know how to make bracelets! XD I can still come?
    I would say the more the merrier!

bftgk95jb551.png

• Options
    katstrawderkatstrawder Registered User regular
    I do some fun paper crafts and my sister embroiders... can we join in with you knitters and crocheters? If you'll have us we are down for it.

<a href="ArdentlyCrafted.com">ArdentlyCrafted.com</a> - Articulated Paper
    Dolls on Etsy
  • Options
    all crafts are welcome! also, i really like the idea of doing something right after the crafting panel. chatting about the panel will be a great conversation starter!

7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    Yay! Just a thought, would anyone be interested in a craft swap? Things you made, or things from your stash you don't need...

Dolls on Etsy
  • Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    The crafting panel is noon on Saturday in the corgi theater (formerly cat theater) unless they change it between now and when the schedule is officially released.

I'd love to come to a stitch n bitch, but I might have too many things going on already. And if its right after the panel, at best I'll be late.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • Options
    ZombiRificZombiRific Registered User regular
    i also can teach some crochet. i need help in the knitting dept. a craft swap could be cool. i don't know if i can fit anything else into my crafting schedule though. i haven't really made too many pax plans yet but it'd like to branch out and try to socialize a bit on my own this year instead of tagging along with the husband

• Options
    VictoryofthepplVictoryoftheppl Community Outreach Coordinator @ Gamers Outreach Registered User regular
    I can teach how to make braceletts. Patterns and what not ^_^ its something xD

MEfw2yy.png

Team [E] <3
  • Options
    ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    I knit a little, but I haven't done much in a long while! I'd love to meet up and get some beginner tips though!

UyhWici.png
  • Options
    I have a bunch of yarn too. My parents brought a few bunches of special "wookie" yarn as they called it because its 100% cotton and really soft. We can trade yarn too if that's something anyone would be interested it. I have a great book ill bring with me that may help all of us since we all seem to be around the same skill level. Not excited at all :)

• Options
    PurpleBekPurpleBek Manchester, EnglandRegistered User regular
    I wanted to go last year. I've been a lot more craft-active lately so this should be fun!

pax%20sig.png
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I'm a pretty advanced crocheter. Maybe if something gets organized, I'll show up!

EDIT: Lord knows I'll be working on the winning items from the Solid Saints auction at that time o.o

Sheri on
  • Options
    Maybe you'll be knitting for me Sheri because I will be bidding on yours for sure! Thankfully the auction starts on a payday.

Dolls on Etsy
  • Options
    Awwww yaaaaaay!

Wouldn't THAT be funny too

• Options
    Sorry you didn't win @katstrawder but I'll surely be working on stuff during PAX at this rate! o.o

• Options
    Oh my gosh, your items really raised a lot of money, great job!

Dolls on Etsy
  • Options
    liedraliedra Registered User regular
    I would totally come to this! :) (as long as it's not during my panel, heh)

• Options
    SwordnStoneSwordnStone Registered User regular
    I definitely would love to come! I've been knitting for a few years, but don't really know anyone else who does. So this would be awesome.

Quit now and cake will be served immediately.
  • Options
    Ok, sorry for the long absence! 4 year olds don't really like it when I sit on the internet. Looks like this will totally be a thing! As soon as a schedule is up we can figure out a time that works for as many people as possible and I'll edit the OP with details on Stitch N Bitch 2: Eclectic Boogaloo. I don't think it will actually be called that, I'm just trying to be clever on the internet. Did it work?! Sorry, kids also drain brain cells.

bftgk95jb551.png

• Options
    i'm actually ONLY coming if we call it that.

7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    Deal!

bftgk95jb551.png

• Options
    So am I spoiling it if I point out this will be the 3rd one at East?

HI3789R.png
  • Options
    :oops: Wow, I was way out of the loop. Looks like a name change is in order.

bftgk95jb551.png

• Options
    So now we have to rhyme three with something? Stitch n bitch 3: eclectic hullabalee? Crafting jubilee? Come sit on my knee?

HI3789R.png
  • Options
    KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I always want to go to this, yet always seem to forget! Damn you, PAX ADD! lol

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
  • Options
    normallyweirdnormallyweird Registered User new member
    My husband and I were too slow and couldn't get tickets for Saturday :'(
    This is our first convention and we're super excited!!
    But you might see my husband walking around with the MegaMan hat I made him :P

• Options
    donnanoblehasbeensaveddonnanoblehasbeensaved Falls Church, VARegistered User regular
    So, just to clarify, after the crafting panel would put us somewhere Saturday afternoon? I think that's a good time. Saturday is busy, but I really like having that kind of chill break in the afternoon.

The first year, we hung out in the handheld lounge beanbags, and last year we met up at a table in the tabletop area. I think there are pros and cons to each - the handheld lounge is usually pretty quiet and populated by a mix of people in hats with ears and people napping, but I know some people have equipment or back problems that don't lend themselves well to beanbags. Having a table to work at in the tabletop area was nice, but that room is like an airplane hangar and it's impossible to hear anyone! I would lean towards going back to handheld (depending on any tourney schedules) just so that we can hear each other. It was really nice sacking out on a pile of squishy things with everyone. I think we could also consider taking over one of the little corner lounges on the...second floor? But people would need to be okay with the likelihood that they'd have to sit on the floor.

Also, if anyone is on the fence about coming and doesn't have a project to work on, come anyway! It's fun to hang out and last year someone did my hair like Katniss and it was SUPER COOL.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Thanks for the suggestions! I was also thinking handheld would be good! Excellent point on coming even if you don't have a project or anything, I added that to the OP.

Stephidabefida on
    bftgk95jb551.png

• Options
    FatherVenomFatherVenom Registered User regular
    I might tag along. Haven't done any knitting since 2011 though.

Here's the thing about handheld (since I spent many an hour there last year) early afternoon is fine but anything approaching 2:30-3 will start to run into Pax Pokemon League meetups which functionally takes over handheld until about 7-8p (or at least it did last year). I know we're trying some things to cut down the crowds at those but they're very convenient & likely to still be well attended.

• Options
    Oh my gosh, your items really raised a lot of money, great job!

Thanks! I'm pretty floored by it. Currently I'm trying to make a bunch of neat stuff that I can wear during East (also I guess maybe it's practical to keep warm or something, I'm not used to that here in Florida).

I do like the handheld lounges, I tend to crochet in crazy weird positions anyway

Also I really hope @punzie makes it

ALSO ALSO how did I not know there was a crafting panel wtffff

• Options
    wrccitroenwrccitroen New EnglandRegistered User regular
    I have no crafting ability but would I be able to purchase crafted items? I hope I'm not being a douche in asking a silly question haha