As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Piggy's magical adventures (Piggy's Seeking, page 15)

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I wish we could arrow Piggy, but I guess since she hasn't logged in, no can do.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I should note that before reading the VtR manual I knew nothing about WoD besides an old SA LP of Bloodlines.

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    One thing I never understand as a criticism of anything in WoD is that it's unbalanced. Firstly, if it's that bad as the ST you can just veto it. Secondly, you're the one that decides where the plot goes. Just because your Brujah pumps celerity and potence to annihilate any foe in combat, doesn't mean he's going to get you. Put him in a situation where that doesn't help. Explore the repercussions of him killing the shit out of the wrong person. If your entropy mage starts the chronicle by winning the lottery and buying a jetpack, send round the HIT marks to ask him how he did it. Balance seems like a meaningless concept in a game that exists entirely in your imagination.

Balance really only comes up when you've got multiple types of supernatural thingies in the same game, like if you've got half your players as vampires and the other half werewolves. Which is a much bigger deal in oWoD versus nWoD, but even in nWoD some splats are just better than others (of course, mages are still top tier and almost all the various types of hunters are bottom tier).

Bad rules design is more detrimental to the game than imbalanced rules, because bad design can make things seem much better or worse than they actually are until they actually come up in play. It sucks to find out that you're basically going to have to either rewrite your character's key Discipline from the ground up or else redo half your character sheet to replace your crappy Discipline that looked good on paper with a different Discipline that actually does what it says it does. Granted, that's not as much of an issue in Mage (especially Ascension), where half the Storyteller's job already involves making shit up that the rules couldn't ever possibly cover.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    I wish we could arrow Piggy, but I guess since she hasn't logged in, no can do.

If she did, she'd end up comepletely buried in arrows.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    If only

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Edit:

Nevermind, as soon as I hit post it updated with a heart and desired.

Fyndir on
  • Options
    The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    gtrmp wrote: »
    One thing I never understand as a criticism of anything in WoD is that it's unbalanced. Firstly, if it's that bad as the ST you can just veto it. Secondly, you're the one that decides where the plot goes. Just because your Brujah pumps celerity and potence to annihilate any foe in combat, doesn't mean he's going to get you. Put him in a situation where that doesn't help. Explore the repercussions of him killing the shit out of the wrong person. If your entropy mage starts the chronicle by winning the lottery and buying a jetpack, send round the HIT marks to ask him how he did it. Balance seems like a meaningless concept in a game that exists entirely in your imagination.

Balance really only comes up when you've got multiple types of supernatural thingies in the same game, like if you've got half your players as vampires and the other half werewolves. Which is a much bigger deal in oWoD versus nWoD, but even in nWoD some splats are just better than others (of course, mages are still top tier and almost all the various types of hunters are bottom tier).

Bad rules design is more detrimental to the game than imbalanced rules, because bad design can make things seem much better or worse than they actually are until they actually come up in play. It sucks to find out that you're basically going to have to either rewrite your character's key Discipline from the ground up or else redo half your character sheet to replace your crappy Discipline that looked good on paper with a different Discipline that actually does what it says it does. Granted, that's not as much of an issue in Mage (especially Ascension), where half the Storyteller's job already involves making shit up that the rules couldn't ever possibly cover.

I mean, Tube already pointed this out but I really don't get how any half-competent ST doesn't just say "okay, your thing works too well/not well enough, here is a temporary narrative fix and we can discuss how to fix it permanently later."

It is a tabletop game. Just...make it work better if you don't like it. I played in a Requiem game where my character was trying to remain high humanity and the narrative kept throwing combat at us - and I was the only combat-oriented character. The 'one morality fits all' schtick is annoying to begin with, and when I expressed to the ST that constantly losing and rebuying humanity was getting to be something of a chore, especially since the only time I hurt anyone was in self-defense. He agreed and we just reworked the system so that it was better. The flip side of the issue is I had also designed a character that could deal ridiculous amounts of lethal damage with a sword, and he determined that rather than try and buff the enemies he'd simply rewrite one of my combat styles to be less flexible and refund me the points in case I was no longer happy with the merit.

Especially in WoD, where you care almost entirely about the ideas rather than the numbers, I do not understand the frankly ubiquitous complaining about bad mechanical design. Just change the way things work! The only time the system catches people up is if the ST is a hardline "you spent the points so fucking live with it" person (particularly irritating if they change the rules on you midgame) or the ST is just overwhelmed and can't think of solutions. The former person should stick to heavily tested crunchy systems where there's some small chance the rules are balanced. The latter probably shouldn't be STing, or at least not with that group.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Options
    Oh my god
    what if Jeremy is a were piggy

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Oh my god

yes

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Oh my god

Named Kochi?

• Options
    ...named Jeremy

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    This was the second google image result for Jeremy Pig:

JEREMY_FISH_BEE_PIG.jpg

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Sadly, that wouldn't be considered vulgar.

• Options
    Did White Wolf ever release anything about the Grondr?

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    You

can be

a were

owl

you can be a were shark

and maybe a were bear?

that rules

Buttlord on
  • Options
    artifexiteartifexite Registered User regular
    I didn't buy many of the nWoD books, but the only I am really glad I did is Changeling. I have no idea how it would fit in with the rest of the games, but it is so fun and interesting on its own.

• Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    The concept for the new Changeling is much more horror-tinged and creepy than then original. I liked the different types of changelings in this one and how open-ended the potential concepts were.

The original appealed to the tiny whimsical part of myself that refuses to grow up and wishes that magic was real.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Did White Wolf ever release anything about the Grondr?

Some of their gifts, in Past Lives pages 93-95, because Garou in that chronicle can learn them.

E: Oh, apparently Mokolé and the PG to the Changing Breeds have some info too, but mostly just a paragraph here and there.

The Good Doctor Tran on
    LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Options
    I might be better off trying to adapt Changing Breeds rather than buying Past Lives for those two pages. Man if I ever win the lottery I'm just going to hook drivethrurpg up to my veins.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    DMAC wrote: »
    The concept for the new Changeling is much more horror-tinged and creepy than then original. I liked the different types of changelings in this one and how open-ended the potential concepts were.

The original appealed to the tiny whimsical part of myself that refuses to grow up and wishes that magic was real.

Old Changeling was also a fucking nightmare to run

New Changeling is just a beautiful, beautiful nightmare

I love it so

• Options
    I might be better off trying to adapt Changing Breeds rather than buying Past Lives for those two pages. Man if I ever win the lottery I'm just going to hook drivethrurpg up to my veins.

Having re-read those gifts, I think you're probably making the right choice. Although having a level 3 gift that uproots a building would be pretty amusing from a teacup pig.

...would his homid form just be a dwarf?

• Options
    Teacup pigs generally end up growing into full size pigs of about 200 pounds, unless their magical patron feeds them special being small cakes. Over the next year or so of game time (there are gaps between chronicles for her character to study magic) he'll grow into a normal sized pig, then possibly into a rather large one as per the lupus type rules. Also the latin name for pig and therefore the name of his pig form will be Porcus.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    You own a pet pig?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Or it's a game...about pigs.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    You own a pet pig?

Yes. He owns a magical shapeshifting pig that can uproot buildings.

• Options
    Maybe they have better pigs in other countries.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Rorus Raz does not believe in reading the context of a thread before he jumps right in

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I spent way too long reading about Supernatural and The X-Files yesterday and now I want to run/play a Hunter game.

• Options
    For anyone thinking, man, how scary could a werepig be anyway; this is a real pig

2_61_052507_MonsterPig1.jpg

Imagine that shit in Crinos

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I don't what weapon that guy is posing with, but I refuse to believe he killed that with it.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Thays some princess mononoke shit

• Options
    edited February 2013
    This pig here weighs close to a metric ton

world's-biggest-pig.jpg

Tube on
  • Options
    I was all eager to ask Tube for pics of his cute little pet pig, but I guess this also works in a weird way.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    That is not a live pig sir

• Options
    Kochikens wrote: »

That is a real motherfucking pig bitch

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Pigzilla

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Porcan

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    I do not deny that it was once real
    But that is a taxidermed pig with possibly a very tiny lady next to it

I desire photos of massive living pigs
    Please no photos of yourself or myself despite how hilarious that might be in my feverstate

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »

That is a real motherfucking pig bitch

I have seen some pigs that are nearly as big as those at the state fair. We grow em big, here in Texas.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    For anyone thinking, man, how scary could a werepig be anyway; this is a real pig

2_61_052507_MonsterPig1.jpg

Imagine that shit in Crinos

I remember when that news story came up there was some hullabuloo about that photo being shot in such a way as to grossly exaggerate the hog's size

but it's still a big-ass hog