As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mardi Gras! Carnival! Shrove Tuesday! Pancake Day!

2»

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I have eaten my pancakes sprinkled with beetus-friendly artificial sweetener and they were good!

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    What's the deal with pancakes today?

You make them.

Then you eat them!

It's a British (maybe other places too?) tradition, I have no idea why. Wiki might know, but I can't read the rest of the article because I just found out that if I wait until 2039 my birthday and pancake day will be the same day! Which means I can have birthday pancake! What is birthday pancake? I'm not sure yet. possibly just a stack of pancakes big enough to look like a real cake once you ice it?

• Options
    Slacker71Slacker71 subgenius RentonRegistered User regular
    Catholics and some protestants give up sweet stuff for lent, which starts on Ash Wednesday, so it became traditional to use up the stuff that you are giving up for the 40 days before Easter by feasting on them the Tuesday before, hence Fat Tuesday or in french "Mardi gras"

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    i was just in new orleans and yeah bourbon street whatever canal street whatever, but frenchman street is probably the best place in the world to see live music. it's like a funk and jazz festival every damned night. i'm gonna have to get back real soon

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    honestly when i got to new orleans and asked at the state information booth about getting to a second line that was on i think around magazine street, and they said you understand that's not in the french quarter, the city and i got off to a bad start

but euclid records made up for it and by 3pm i was won the fuck over

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I am really confused by your complaint. Secondly, Bourbon street is great I'm sorry you hate fun

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Had one cheese and ham pancake, two citrus and sugar, one peaches and cream, and one with strawberry shortcake ice cream last night.

Now there's no chocolate, biscuits or buying food on my way home from work until Easter.

I'm not even religious, I just want to watch my willpower and my love of food fight. Either way, I win!

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Leftover mardi gras stuff at the hospital tonight.
    Hooray for getting paid to gorge myself on king cake at 3 in the morning!

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Tef wrote: »
    I am really confused by your complaint. Secondly, Bourbon street is great I'm sorry you hate fun

this person was literally baffled that i would want to do something that wasn't in the tourist trap zone that is the french quarter. she looked at me like i was asking where the best point in the river was to go for a skinny dip

and i didn't hate bourbon street. it was just a lot of bad booze and cigarette smoke though. it was far from the most interesting part of town

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    bsjezz wrote: »
    Tef wrote: »

this person was literally baffled that i would want to do something that wasn't in the tourist trap zone that is the french quarter. she looked at me like i was asking where the best point in the river was to go for a skinny dip

and i didn't hate bourbon street. it was just a lot of bad booze and cigarette smoke though. it was far from the most interesting part of town

Lot of good booze too.
    Pat O'Brien's is pretty damn good.
    The hand grenades from Tropical Isle are a pretty touristy thing to get, but they're also pretty good, if a little overpriced.
    Gonna go walk around the quarter this weekend with my lady.
    It's a much better experience if you go during the day and I would probably not go to Bourbon on Mardi Gras weekend/night again for a while. Just gets too hard to move around and get to wherever you want to go.
    Walking along the river with a beer in your hand as the barges float by on a cool day is my favorite way to do New Orleans.

Also, getting fucked up on Bourbon 'round noon is pretty fun too.

Kaplar on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Pat O'Brien's and hand grenades.

Ugh.

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    i was just in new orleans and yeah bourbon street whatever canal street whatever, but frenchman street is probably the best place in the world to see live music. it's like a funk and jazz festival every damned night. i'm gonna have to get back real soon

Yea, Frenchman is pretty amazing for live music.

Bourbon, while fun, has lost a lot of appeal after the first couple of visits. Sure, it's a good party atmosphere, and girls flashing probably never gets old, but the puddles of piss/puke sure do. The only way I could see spending a significant amount of time there anymore is if I had access to a balcony.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    I just want to go to Acme Oyster House

and Willie Mae's Scotch House

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    i'd love to go back to new orleans

last time i was there i really wasn't able to appreciate all the cool stuff i saw

• Options
    don't go to the old absinthe house

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ashwednesday.png

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Pat O'Brien's and hand grenades.

Ugh.

Ugh? You didn't eat the food at Pat'O's did you?
    Because it doesn't look good.
    The hand grenades are a bit sweet, but they're also pretty potent.

• Options
    Sticks wrote: »

Yea, Frenchman is pretty amazing for live music.

Bourbon, while fun, has lost a lot of appeal after the first couple of visits. Sure, it's a good party atmosphere, and girls flashing probably never gets old, but the puddles of piss/puke sure do. The only way I could see spending a significant amount of time there anymore is if I had access to a balcony.

Accidentally stepped into one of the puddles on the side of the street before. Had to throw out those shoes.

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    I just want to go to Acme Oyster House

and Willie Mae's Scotch House

If you are going purely for the oysters, I like Casamento's more. It's way over on Magazine though, so not ideal if you are planning to stay near the quarter.