As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NCAA Basketball: Selection Sunday

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    if you're not rooting for nevada this year, you hate fun
    down with the establishment!

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Virginia Tech scored 47 points.

They won by 23.

NC State scored a whopping 24 points in the whole game. 5 points in the last 18 minutes.

Meanwhile Memphis had a worse first half than State, scoring 13 in the first half. They made up for it with 65 in the second but still lost by 6.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I watched the NC State game

They spent 40 minutes refusing to take a good shot

It was maddening

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    The State score is peak NC State Shit.

The Memphis score is blowing my mind. Somehow a team is capable of scoring 13 points and then 65 in the same amount of time. That's just insane.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I will not buy into Purdue in March. I will not buy into Purdue in March. I will not buy into Purdue in March. I will not buy into Purdue in March. I will not buy into Purdue in March.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Stanford just took a fun one from Cal

The Pac-12 is not good, but sometimes even mediocre basketball is alright

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I will not buy into Purdue in March. I will not buy into Purdue in March. I will not buy into Purdue in March. I will not buy into Purdue in March. I will not buy into Purdue in March.

If no one gets injured we might have a real chance to do something this year... Painter doing a hell of a job figuring out how to get the best outta everyone. I mean Williams had 16 and Haarms 15 from the bench last game. When do you see two big men scoring 31 points combined for that role?

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Incindium wrote: »

If no one gets injured we might have a real chance to do something this year... Painter doing a hell of a job figuring out how to get the best outta everyone. I mean Williams had 16 and Haarms 15 from the bench last game. When do you see two big men scoring 31 points combined for that role?

This is why I have to tell myself to not buy into Purdue in March. If Beilein teams peak in March, Painter teams peak in February.

• Options
    This Duke/BC game sure got ugly

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    ILLINI

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Losing to this Illinois team is also pretty funny.

Though to be fair, they've been way better lately.

• Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular

Illinois has been a sneaky good team with terrible stretches in second halves. This time they righted the ship just in time.

Encouraging going forward but too little too late to salvage this season. Losing by 3 to Gonzaga, blowing halftime leads against Georgetown, Iowa State, Minnesota and Ohio State, losing by one basket in Indiana, NW, Notre Dame. Just a lot of frustrating endings to promising starts.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Piotyr wrote: »

Illinois has been a sneaky good team with terrible stretches in second halves. This time they righted the ship just in time.

Encouraging going forward but too little too late to salvage this season. Losing by 3 to Gonzaga, blowing halftime leads against Georgetown, Iowa State, Minnesota and Ohio State, losing by one basket in Indiana, NW, Notre Dame. Just a lot of frustrating endings to promising starts.

They just need to figure it out before the B1G tourney

Which gives them what, a week or so?

Edit: Oh, it looks like they moved it back to normal scheduling?

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Ringo wrote: »

They just need to figure it out before the B1G tourney

Which gives them what, a week or so?

Edit: Oh, it looks like they moved it back to normal scheduling?

Yeah, it's not in MSG this year, so the schedule isn't completely bonkers.

• Options
    edited February 2019

Underwood's a good coach who prefers a style unique to the conference. Iowa is the closest, maybe. But Illinois should have a better talent pool than Iowa usually gets. It's at least interesting once he gets his guys in. Y'all were in a giant hole when he came in though. Next year I think they'll be a bubble team, probably fall short, and kick ass in the NIT, two years they'll be in.

Michigan beat Rutgers (who doesn't suck!) tonight, huzzah, back in first.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Michigan is 1-3 in games officiated by Lewis Garrison, undefeated in all other games.

Dude tossed John Beilein tonight who is normally good for like a tech every two years. Because they allowed a moving screen to Zavier Simpson's head at the end of the half. And then double T'd Beilein for daring to complain.

Also missed a blatant double dribble as Michigan was trying to come back. I'm frosty.

• Options
    Yes hello, Duke came back from 23 down to beat Louisville on the road, that is all.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Michigan is 1-3 in games officiated by Lewis Garrison, undefeated in all other games.

Dude tossed John Beilein tonight who is normally good for like a tech every two years. Because they allowed a moving screen to Zavier Simpson's head at the end of the half. And then double T'd Beilein for daring to complain.

Also missed a blatant double dribble as Michigan was trying to come back. I'm frosty.

Tossed Beilein??

Does not compute

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    the NET rating is bullshit
    the consensus #6 or 7 team should not be relegated to a 4 seed
    thats some garbage

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    The Papa John's asshole founder who was an enormous Louisville booster is now rooting for Kentucky. Rich people are the fucking worst.

• Options
    The Papa John's asshole founder who was an enormous Louisville booster is now rooting for Kentucky. Rich people are the fucking worst.

I would think after last night he'd be rooting for either LSU or Duke. Bad timing bud.

• Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    the NET rating is bullshit
    the consensus #6 or 7 team should not be relegated to a 4 seed
    thats some garbage

Polls are subjective garbage. Nevada is 13 in NET, 12 in Sagarin, 18 in KenPom, so NET is a fair objective assessment of where Nevada is at right now.

RPI has them at 15, so if anything, NET is more forgiving to a great team in a less than great conference.

Piotyr on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Wow, what an absolute drubbing of Tennessee. Rupp Arena was insane tonight.

Atrocious reffing all around though. Lots of ticky tack bullshit on both sides, couple really egregious calls against Kentucky, probably a couple against Tennessee too (hard to tell when you're in an arena with thousands of home fans).

If Kentucky plays like this in the tournament, they're a National Title contender.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Not taking anything away from Kentucky - they're good. But this is what.. game #4 for the Volunteers against top 25 competition? And now they're 2-2? Their schedule has been weak, and I think this game shows it. I think LSU can take them, and expect Kentucky to sweep. Tennessee should win the rest of their games though, leaving the SEC Tourney to decide which team gets the 1 seed in the dance

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Not taking anything away from Kentucky - they're good. But this is what.. game #4 for the Volunteers against top 25 competition? And now they're 2-2? Their schedule has been weak, and I think this game shows it. I think LSU can take them, and expect Kentucky to sweep. Tennessee should win the rest of their games though, leaving the SEC Tourney to decide which team gets the 1 seed in the dance

I agree with all of this. I dunno that Tennessee should be in line for a 1 seed if they lose to LSU and Kentucky in their upcoming games, unless they go nuts against those teams in the SEC Tournament.

Still, even at home, and even against, lets say, a 3-4 seed at worst, a 17-point victory is pretty great. :D

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Syracuse Orange won 69-49 against Louisville. It was glorious.

• Options
    BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    If I’m Zion that’s my last game in a Duke uniform. Doesn’t matter if the knee is fine

PSN: thewheelz
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Bubs wrote: »
    If I’m Zion that’s my last game in a Duke uniform. Doesn’t matter if the knee is fine

Not trying to stir the pot but why? All I know is:shoe blew out, he injured the knee and they kept him sat because of it. Which seems reasonable.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular

Not trying to stir the pot but why? All I know is:shoe blew out, he injured the knee and they kept him sat because of it. Which seems reasonable.

Everyone is thinking he is the the number one pick. Do you risk all that money or do you not play? Duke has 5 more games to play and then the tournament. So a total of 11 games if they go all the way and the only thing you're really doing for yourself is showcasing your talent to the teams which already know you are really good. I would rehab, go to practices, and then sit out the rest of the games with my focus on the draft which is four months away.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Oh, didn't even think of that angle, just thought duke was being blamed somehow. This I totally agree with, along with my general burn the NCAA down and pay the players thoughts. At all times, anyone who can jump to the NBA or even Euro/China/wherever if it pays should totally do so. Screw your college, even if you are healthy thats really just more time for your knee/ankle/whatever to blow out.

• Options
    It's absolutely in his best interest to sit and I don't think K will make him play. But I don't think he will want to sit. He's hyper competitive. Fortunately for the fans we can all just pin the blame on the NCAA if anything bad happens.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    We'll see if the scare last night changes his mind, but last I checked he's on record saying he doesn't care about the risk, he wants to play.

• Options
    Bobble wrote: »
    We'll see if the scare last night changes his mind, but last I checked he's on record saying he doesn't care about the risk, he wants to play.

Because the kid has been raised as a hyper competitive athlete and is all of 18. We are all gung-ho and dumb at 18. I hope someone has the smarts and influence to tell him to sit down and ensure he gets paid.

• Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Age limits are likely going away at the next negotiation.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/ct-spt-nba-age-limit-adam-silver-20180711-story.html
    The NBA and its players' union don't always agree. But after both organizations held their annual meetings here this week in conjunction with the NBA Summer League, it is clear they see eye to eye on one thing: The NBA isn't going to have an age limit for incoming players much longer.

In order to allow teams time to prepare for such a change — as well as for the league to come up with the best possible system to develop players once it does — it is widely expected that the changed age limit won't go into effect until the 2021 NBA draft.

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/21/us/jim-boeheim-syracuse-kills-pedestrian/index.html
    Jim Boeheim, longtime head coach of the Syracuse University men's basketball team, hit and killed a pedestrian who was walking along Interstate 690 late Wednesday in upstate New York, according to a police statement obtained by CNN affiliate WSYR.
    In the statement, Syracuse police said a 51-year-old man was on the side of the highway after a vehicle he was in lost control and struck a guardrail.
    Boeheim, 74, was driving and noticed the vehicle, which was in the middle of the roadway. Boeheim moved to avoid the vehicle and ended up hitting the man, police said.

that's a shit way to end last night

jesus

• Options

It’s already been said, but he has nothing to gain by playing. The best case scenario is he ends up exactly where he is now in terms of draft position, just with a NCAA title to go with it. But no additional money, and his endorsement deal is basically unaffected.

The worst scenario is... much worse. He’s got an $8 million insurance policy if disaster strikes, but that’s a pittance compared to what he should earn over the course of a career.

I know he says he doesn’t care and he wants to come back, but that feels like something he has to say. Or maybe he’s being told to say it. Maybe he means it, but I hope that if a doctor tells him he needs to sit, he would even if he feels fine. Mainly because I want to watch him in the NBA. Knees are scary.

• Options
    I don't even like watching NBA ball, but 110% every player should jump at that money.

• Options
    Hyper competitive 18 year olds are going to keep playing.

• Options
    Hyper competitive 18 year olds are going to keep playing.

There’s situations where they probably shouldn’t, honestly. At least some of them will be doing so in the NBA next year.

Calipari approves

• Options
    Wow, Michigan's offense in the 2nd half was awful :bigfrown:

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
This discussion has been closed.