As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

mass conversion of music files to mp3

MelinoeMelinoe Registered User regular
I have an Archos mp3 player (don't remember the exact model number but it's one of the older ones that they dubbed "Internet Media Tablet") that can plug into Windows and either take music off of Windows Media Player, or just have music dropped into it like a flash drive or external hard drive. This was fine except that prior to getting this thing, as well as after because it's cumbersome and it started having issues, I had/have an iPod, which meant that I loaded all of my music onto my computer via iTunes. The problem lies in that the Archos is incapable of playing what it calls "podcast format" things, which are .mp4 and (I think) .avi without buying a $20 codec from Archos. This resulted in half of my music being unplayable and me just sort of getting frustrated with the thing. Now though, it would be nice to see if I could get it working to play music on at home while I work, because my work laptop is old and gets pretty upset with me if I try to do anything other than type on it, and it also has a messed up cd drive that I am wary of putting my discs in.

Is there any software that I can use to convert a folder full of music from one format to another? I know I could do it one at a time with Audacity but that would take more time than I'm willing to devote to this. I can shuffle the music around off of the Archos and onto my computer for conversion or whatever, but I'd like to find a way to just tell the program what I want to convert and let it do its thing for however long that takes. Does anything like this exist?

• Options
    finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    Keep in mind that transcoding between music formats will cause a reduction in audio quality. Whether this is acceptable to you or not it for you to decide.

I've had luck in the past using SUPER to transcode files. As a bonus, it can do video too.

• Options
    Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful Thinking Paragon City, RIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Yes, EZ CD Audio Converter, by Poikosoft, is probably the best audio converter out there. It is a paid app, but there is a one-month free trial, so I'd test it and see what you think. It lets you configure the exact quality settings that you want for a large variety of codecs.

There are a ton of other options out there, but that's my personal favorite.

EDIT: Here is a direct link of the formats supported: http://www.poikosoft.com/help/encoder_versions.html

Great Scott on
    I'm unique. Just like everyone else.
  • Options
    MelinoeMelinoe Registered User regular
    I have a pretty terrible ear for these types of things so as long as it isn't super terrible I probably won't care.

I've used SUPER for video conversion in the past but never looked at it for audio conversion, iirc it can only do one at a time but I'll take another look at it.

• Options
    finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    For SUPER, you can add a bunch of files at once to the queue. Just make sure your output is set to MP3 (audio only).