As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Single Origin, Organic, Genetically Nonengineered food thread [Food Thread]

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    I just broke my porcelain knife like a dumbass. This is upsetting me far more than I thought it would :(

Coincidentally it was while cutting cheese. Manchego is awesome though.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Manchego is fully awesome! Made eggs benedict for breakfast today, though we had it at 12:30, and then tonight is that pig-themed dinner which I'm really looking forward to! Hope Valentines is awesome food for everybody

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    is it normal for pork chops to have some pink in the middle, even after cooking for five, flipping, cooking for five more, and then flipping and cooking for three?

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It depends on how much pink you're talking about, which is hard to really convey accurately in text, but yes I prefer just a little blush to the center of mine to keep them from drying out.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    They weren't bloody, just a little blush. That's a good word for it. :)

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    If they're blush and the juices are clear, you're good to go.

• Options
    ReciprocityReciprocity Registered User regular
    when in doubt, temp them! meat thermometers are our friends!

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    despite common belief, you do not need to incinerate pork. So yes, a little blush in the center is fine.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    So

food thread

explain/reccomend dry rubs

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Well what you wanna do is pour yourself a glass of wine, light a couple of candles, put on some low music, and start looking at pictures of your waifu, you can probably work it out from there.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    So

food thread

explain/reccomend dry rubs

Easiest if you're uncircumcised.

broken image link
  • Options
    Just out of curiosity, is the stuff for steaks actually called something different, or will it always be a hilarious coincidence?

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Sometimes it will be called steak rub or steak seasoning.

A good steak doesn't need much more than salt and pepper to season it though.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    My basic understanding is that dry rubs are better for larger/thicker cuts, because marinades can excessively soften the outside of those without really affecting the middle.

• Options
    Ok, sure. We normally get good steaks anyway.

Is there anything anyone recommends if we want to get more adventurous?

My little brother went and bought some sort of garlic seasoning thing because it looked nice, but when we opened it it just smelled of chicken salt and didn't look so great.

We were basically wondering if there any nice other ways of preparing steaks that people have encountered.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Well, it also largely depends on the types of flavors you want to introduce to whatever you're cooking.

There are obviously variations to this, marinades are usually varying levels of acidic, brines are salty, and rubs can be spicy and smoky.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    one of the spice companies down here has started doing up their own blends. I've gotten a peri peri blend and also a morrocan blend that are absolutely fabulous.

they're usually a lot of salt in the pre-mixed stuff, but the moroccan blend on steak is just absolutely mouth watering.

• Options
    Honestly, I'm not looking for anything in particular. If it's nice I'll probably try it.

We've got a pretty stocked spice cupboard, so I might just a bit of mixing and see what happens.

Peri-peri blend sounds fantastic.

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Salt, Pepper, Garlic is what I rub on my steaks.

I'm boring, but delicious.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Yeah, if you're gonna do a steak, I'd go with a sauce rather than a super intricate spice blend. I tend to treat my steaks like I treat my burgers. I don't fiddle much with the beef, but I'll put extra stuff to it, on the side or on top.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    i like to use lime zest, garlic, smokey paprika, salt and pepper for an easy all-purpose rub. i don't think it's necessary for decent steaks but it's great for chicken and pork too, and perfect for barbecuing. rubs have the advantage over marinades that you don't need to do it hours in advance for best results, too

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I rub my steaks with some butter and a crushed garlic clove the last seconds it's in the pan.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Bleu cheese and butter mixed 50-50 make a nice little dollop to put on your steak, but I wouldn't slather it on.

• Options
    baconchocolatebaconchocolate Registered User regular
    You can sous vide it till med-rare, dunk it in some nitrogen for 30s, and then deep fry it till it's brown. Or just vacuum pack (or zip lock) with olive oil, sprig of rosemary, pepper corn, thyme.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Throw a sprig of rosemary, some garlic,olive oil and maybe some trussed tomatoes in the pan with the steak.

Throw some butter in at the end, baste that guy then deglaze the pan.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Liquid nitrogen? What the fuck kinda cooking set up is this?

I have a pan and a knife!

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    I find some phosphoric acid really helps tenderize the meat.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Oh and salt and pepper it before it hits the pan obvs.

• Options
    BYToady wrote: »
    I find some phosphoric acid really helps tenderize the meat.

So, cola?

• Options
    All I know is I gotta call the spill team if any of it hits the floor.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    A while back my brother in law cooked us a Thai(?) dish that was fish cooked by acid rather than heat. I'd no idea that was actually possible and it was actually pretty darn tasty.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It's pretty common. Ceviche is the same principle.

• Options
    ReciprocityReciprocity Registered User regular
    That's essentially what ceviche is.

Also, re dry rubs, I agree they're best on chicken or pork. Last night I made a roast chicken with this "vulcan salt" shoved all up under the skin. It was not bad.

• Options
    Redheaded StepchildRedheaded Stepchild Registered User regular
    @Stale

I gave the Country Captain recipe a go last night for myself and my three roommates. As far as cooking, the liquid levels got a little questionable at times; in particular as I was considering adding in the tomatoes a little early because it didn't seem like there would be enough to simmer or bring to a boil. However, I managed to get just enough juice out of the celery and onions just as the latter were shy of browning. Otherwise, the instructions were easy to follow, everything cooked wonderfully, and the smell of our kitchen made us the envy of the neighborhood.

Flavor-wise, and this may come down to our expectations with Indian curry (I used a yellow curry powder, store bought) and my lack of confidence with seasoning, it was a bit more mixed. I chose to be very light on any sort of seasoning-to-taste modifications, just because I wasn't sure what the final product would end up being, but I think we all agreed that it was missing... something. A couple of my roommates were hoping for more heat (the curry powder used is a likely culprit), and I was hoping for more salt. Both of these are, obviously, easily adjustable for the next time I make it, but, as written, it is probably more geared towards experienced palates. Last, one of my roommates was a bit confused by the apricots... They didn't really add much to the dish as a whole, a very slight hint of tartness in the sauce, but the fruit itself didn't really take in any flavor and just kind of became a chewy chunk.

Minor criticisms aside, we all agreed that the meal was satisfying, chicken was cooked perfectly, and the base flavor was fantastic. And, once again, it smelled AMAZING, which really helped build up our appetites. I will definitely be making this again.

Oh... is there a particular curry powder recipe that you favor for this?

• Options
    Fyndir wrote: »
    My basic understanding is that dry rubs are better for larger/thicker cuts, because marinades can excessively soften the outside of those without really affecting the middle.

No. The problem with marinades is that a good steak doesn't need tenderizing, and a good steak should be seared well which is hard to do when your steak is fucking drenched in marinade. You want the steak nice and dry to get a good sear on, not soaked in other shit.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    @redheaded stepchild Excellent, appreciate it.

The salt is a personal thing that each cook has to add. I've found that telling people how much salt to add to dishes results in a 50/50 mix of "EUGH!! Too salty!!" or "This is flat and needs salt." So I just tell the cook to season as required.

The curry powder issue is a common issue I've run into, as "curry powder" is so vague that it is very literally night and day different from bottle to bottle, cook to cook. Coupled with the fact that the curry powder that most Americans find at the supermarket is very muted and turmeric heavy. I make my own because I use it a lot in making rice. I didn't include it in this recipe to cut down on people being overwhelmed and just skipping over making the dish entirely.

I think based on the feedback I've had so far, a 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, and perhaps 1/4 teaspoon white pepper is the key.

The fruit is a classic component of country captain and is usually either raisins or dates. I've never been a fan of dates and curry sauces, and I find raisins boring. However, with that said, perhaps dicing the apricots prior to addition would help alleviate that a touch.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    There is nothing more irritating than a dull chef's knife. AND WHY CAN'T I FIND A GODDAMN KNIFE STEEL ANYWHERE

• Options
    if it's dull a honing steel won't help.

Need to get it sharpened.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    yeah, amount of salt is not something that should be codified in a recipe
    maybe list a minimal amount of salt necessary
    but most things you cook should be finished with "salt to taste"

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    if it's dull a honing steel won't help.

Need to get it sharpened.

Not really dull I guess. Just needs pepping up.

Cutting up veggies and stuff is such a pain in the ass. I need to get myself a good chef's knife and keep it away from other people. I caught my roommate using one of my knives to cut stuff on one of my aluminum baking sheets. Fucker.

This discussion has been closed.