As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Single Origin, Organic, Genetically Nonengineered food thread [Food Thread]

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I've lamented the lack of pre-packaged meals before, but I feel the need to reiterate it.

I REALLY miss pre-packaged meals, ya'll

I will MURDER a fool for a Hungry-Man

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Hello food thread, you may be surprised to learn that in Scotland it is raining today. Thus my thoughts have turned to food that comforts. Comfort Food if you will.

Here is something that my brother and I used to make when we were teenagers. Of course it's food that you should not eat if you're fond of the sight of your feet.

Cheese & onion pudding (yeah it's pretty much as bad as you're thinking from the title)
    5lb bag of floury potatoes like King Edwards, Maris Piper, etc.
    1lb cheddar cheese, the stronger the better
    1 large egg
    9 strips of streaky bacon
    1 tomato
    2 onions, 3 if they're not that large. Add garlic if you like; we always did if there was any to hand, but it's not essential.
    Dried mixed herbs or italian herbs. By all means fancy this up with the fresh stuff if you like, but come on now.

Grate all the cheese. It's OK to eat a bit.
    Peel, dice, boil & mash the potatoes, working the egg and 3/4 of the grated cheese in. if your cheese isn't that strong, add a tsp of salt.
    Meanwhile, roughly chop and slowly fry until pretty much caramelised the onions. Do 'em in butter, why the fuck not?
    Mix the onions in the potatoes.
    Add in the herbs too.

Put the mix into a large ovenproof dish. spinkle over the remaining 4oz of cheese. On top of that, make a criss-cross pattern with the bacon. On top of all that layer over the tomato very thinly sliced. If you want to top the whole thing off with a few breadcrumbs and maybe a shake of smoked paprika, you won't be doing anything you could be sent to prison for.

Chuck this into a very hot oven until the bacon looks fairly crisp and the tomato is all dried out.

When it's done, get it on to the table and eat until the rain stops. Then go out fishing for 6 hours. This is the kind of thing that seems like an excellent way to live when you're 15.

This. Sounds. Awesome.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    My pizza dough recipe takes four hours to do properly. Sometimes you get home at 7 and want dinner before midnight, you know?

I am checking my working from home privilege

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I make dough in batches and just freeze it in single base sized lumps. I partly microwaved defrost works well enough if I don't have time to take it out earlier.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Thanks to @DirtyDirtyVagrant‌ I've been putting sunny side up eggs on my waffles lately and it's awesome. I used pioneer woman's waffle recipe this week and it leaves two extra egg yolks so I made a half batch of hollandaise and had waffles with bacon and hollandaise and it was excellent. 10/10 would recommend, thanks ddv for making me think of eggs on waffles <3

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    More eggs is never a bad idea. Homemade hollandaise is never a bad idea. Combining the two must be heavenly.

I'm making shantung lamb, it's gonna be slightly experimental ...

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Waffles Benedict is some inspired goddamn breakfast.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    I usually eat eggs on pancakes but the principle is the same. :D

• Options
    So my mom bought a french style rolling pin and we've got eggs and I have been making fresh pasta.

You guys.

I don't think I'll ever buy boxed pasta again.

• Options
    fresh pasta is so good

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    It is, I just hate rolling it out to the correct thickness by hand. Once I have a kitchen with some actual room I will be buying a stand mixer that can accept these:

C5jEqXZ.jpg

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Yeah, the rolling takes a bit of time. But it's a labor of love.

• Options
    update on the lamb: holy mother of god

I've had it before in restaurants, I had no idea it could be so easily replicated at home

... i am never eating lamb any other way ever again

tumblr_n9r2muCYqt1rir1ybo1_500.jpg

(you're supposed to fry the lamb after slow cooking to crisp it up, but I accidentally didn't top up the liquid for the last two hours so it cooked a bit dry. The pots gonna be a bitch to clean, but the lamb got a wonderful crisp caramelised crust so frying wasn't necessary, and I'm certainly not complaining).

• Options
    edited August 2014
    I saw this picture and now I have to make it. Why can't it be spring now?

Flower-butter.jpg

V1m on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    That seems like something an elfophile hobbit would make.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Lamb is so expensive in the US, it's really prohibitive. It's close to twice as much as beef in our area. I'd love to use lamb more but forget that.

Tonight's dinner is traditional American hamburgers on shit white buns. Comfort food for me. There is also sauteed zuchinni and summer squash, and hot pickled asparagus.

• Options
    It's been rainy and gross all day so we kept up the indulgent theme with hot Italian sausages, steamed and then crisped on the outside, with some ridiculous macaroni and cheese - sharp cheddar, bacon, caramelized onions, and diced serranos, topped with cracker crumbs and parmesan

Gonna hibernate now

• Options
    omg

• Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    That seems like something an elfophile hobbit would make.

It does but it looks amazing so I don't care.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    we went out on a limb tonight and picked up some monkfish.

it's bland and white and I am the absolute worst at panfrying anything with flour on it.

also probably didn't help that I didn't realize we were out of oil until after we got home. so instead of using some rice bran oil, I ended up using this rosemary infused olive oil and some butter.

I am so disappoint.

maybe i'll try it again another time but doing a different preparation or something.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Lamb is so expensive in the US, it's really prohibitive. It's close to twice as much as beef in our area. I'd love to use lamb more but forget that.

Tonight's dinner is traditional American hamburgers on shit white buns. Comfort food for me. There is also sauteed zuchinni and summer squash, and hot pickled asparagus.

Not just in the US. In Sweden it's hard to find any lamb that isn't more expensive than beef tenderloin.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    The last lamb I had was hand carried by a friend from Iceland.

He's a rather jolly round Icelandic man who thought nothing of wrapping an entire leg up and carrying across the ocean on the hopes that we'd grill it up.

• Options
    jgeis wrote: »

Not just in the US. In Sweden it's hard to find any lamb that isn't more expensive than beef tenderloin.

When I was a kid lamb was so cheap (shoulder anyway) that I remember once my siblings and I went on lamb strike: we told my mum that this week we weren't going to eat any god damb lamb, we were sick of it and wanted something else. Anything else.

Now lamb shoulder costs more than aged beef rib ffs. Which is weird because you don't see any goddamb rich sheep farmers in those hills.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Beef rendang - beef + kangaroo = kangarendangaroo

Solve for delicious.

• Options
    we went out on a limb tonight and picked up some monkfish.

it's bland and white and I am the absolute worst at panfrying anything with flour on it.

also probably didn't help that I didn't realize we were out of oil until after we got home. so instead of using some rice bran oil, I ended up using this rosemary infused olive oil and some butter.

I am so disappoint.

maybe i'll try it again another time but doing a different preparation or something.

Honestly I've never liked monkfish, it is extremely boring.

I have a recipe for white fish and israeli couscous which could possibly be a thing? I usually use it for fresh water fish but could be worth a shot. Let me know if you want the recipe.

• Options
    Last time I cooked a Monkfish tail, I wrapped it in very thin woodsmoked bacon and roasted it for 17 or 18 minutes. I thought it tasted pretty good.

Maybe some kosher equivalent?

Also monkfish makes a super nice fish curry imo.

• Options
    Israeli couscous is amazing. I like to make it with chicken and peas and a bit of lemon zest/juice

• Options
    edited August 2014
    tIFwnS2.jpg?1

We are broke-broke-broke, like $40 for food for two weeks broke, so dinner was a pantry sort of thing
    farro only not-farro; I used barley, canned diced tomatoes, Mexican oregano, onions, and some chiles in adobo. Topped it with some slices of leftover chicken and a poached egg

cabsy on
  • Options
    That is a solid looking meal for being made out of what was around. Would def eat that.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Guys I started eating eggs.

I'm also not very good at making overeasy eggs.

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    Guys I started eating eggs.

I'm also not very good at making overeasy eggs.

Fuck em and don't bother, just put a lid on your frying eggs and steam the top to doneness. Unless you're having an issue with over/undercooking or something, which is only solved with time and patience and practice

• Options
    Whenever I've tried sunny side eggs I thought they tasted awful even the yolk. I also think because I don't like the whites much.

But like the yolk is good when I've cooked then the last 2 times. But the second time the whites were way blander. I suppose some pepper would help.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    season your food

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Eggs always need salt and black pepper. It's just a natural law.

• Options
    I'm out of pepper and didn't think salt alone would work well.

• Options
    Salt alone will work perfectly. Salt is essential to tasty eggs.

• Options
    I will report back after breakfast tomorrow.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I don't salt my eggs, but I do insist on getting free range eggs from the markets up the road. More flavourful than cage eggs.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    I don't salt my eggs, but I do insist on getting free range eggs from the markets up the road. More flavourful than cage eggs.

Also they don't require chicken torture.

broken image link
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I pretty much buy cage-free exclusively. It's pretty easy to get them, at least around here.

This discussion has been closed.