Francis Says Relax

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    after extensive waterboarding jesus reveals the locations of his disciples

then they send out the drones

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    It would be great if the next Pope says condoms are cool.

I hated when it came down to "We'll let nuns use Birth Control if they are going to areas that are dangerous and might get raped." But still "all other women need a Papal Dispensation in order to use the pill."

You are so close to making one small logical connection as to why this is useful. Just keep going.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Resigning is actually kind of stupid. He was ordained by God. He's saying he knows better.

don't care if this is late and also a joke!

but not entirely correct, the way the papacy is viewed is that anything the pope says is actually agreed upon by god, so theoretically the pope can declare the third tuesday of every month to be silly buggers day where you wear your underwear on your head, and god would have to be ok with it

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    PopetheFair

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    See, part of me actually wants a tough pope. Or at least one who when accused of saying disparaging remarks about other religions, simply responds, "I'm the fucking Pope". Because that always seemed a bit ridiculous when people act like the man needs to be tolerant of all other religions. He is the leader of his religion (set aside the Catholic/Protestant split for a second) as laid out in the early centuries of the church. His main duty above all else is to follow scripture. And right there in the second book it lays out rules, which first among them says 'I am the lord thy god and you shall have no other gods before me'. So if he wants to stand there and tell some other dude you're wrong and your gods are bullshit, he should be allowed without people shitting their pants and screaming "OMG Pope, how y u say that???!!!".

Of course this leads to problems when I would also like to see a pope who would be willing to throw out Leviticus and Deuteronomy as antiquated drivel from an intolerant age. But I suppose that would get in the way of a tough Pope with a strict interpretation of the Bible as God's Word.

Yeah except this is precisely the kind of bullshit that leads to genocide. Oops.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    this whole situation just sounds

popeless

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Resigning is actually kind of stupid. He was ordained by God. He's saying he knows better.

but not entirely correct, the way the papacy is viewed is that anything the pope says is actually agreed upon by god, so theoretically the pope can declare the third tuesday of every month to be silly buggers day where you wear your underwear on your head, and god would have to be ok with it

Hence the plot of Dogma by Kevin Smith

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular

Not correct either. There are only specific occasions when the pope is considered infallible.

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Why did no one warn me that my gif was huge

How does one check those things so I don't do that again

• Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    Look, maybe he just wanted to win lent by giving up the biggest thing ever for it.

Also it would be nice to be able to admit to being catholic without feeling the need to qualify that with a whole lot of disclaimers (oh, I'm catholic.... But the gays are cool and abortions are bad but kinda necessary and condoms are clutch and kid-diddling is evil and and and...)

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    Syphyre wrote: »
    Though there are many things that could be changed, I request one thing out of a new pope: allow ordination of women.

Yyyyyyeah that's never ever gonna happen

ever

ever ever ever no never

sig.gif
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    On npr they had a professor who was talking about how giving up this power was a sign of his humility.

Yes, sure guy

Depends on his actions but yeah it could prove to be quite the opposite. Resigning before his death could enable him to take a role in selecting his successor.

yeah, even if it is just a health thing and there's no scandal at all, the ability to actively choose your successor is a huge deal and a savvy political play.

• Options
    Quoth wrote: »

right click the image and check properties.

if you're in chrome then god help you because that doesn't exist and you right click something and it just gives you the code for the image because god dammit, chrome.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus

if you are on chrome, install the Image Properties plugin, so that you can right-click it and find out the, well, the properties of the image

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User, Moderator mod
    Not correct either. There are only specific occasions when the pope is considered infallible.

Very specific occasions; there's a dozen or so floating around, only two or three of which aren't retroactive to 1870 when they formally defined the concept.

• Options
    On npr they had a professor who was talking about how giving up this power was a sign of his humility.

Yes, sure guy

Depends on his actions but yeah it could prove to be quite the opposite. Resigning before his death could enable him to take a role in selecting his successor.

yeah, even if it is just a health thing and there's no scandal at all, the ability to actively choose your successor is a huge deal and a savvy political play.

But what if the Pope has secretly built a large battle station with a powerful laser weapon beyond the scale of anything else in the galaxy. Then he dissolves the College of Cardinals and resigns as Pope, only to then claim power as the Emperor. The local governors and fear of the battle station will keep the local sectors in line.

• Options
    I can't install plugins on my work computer

Also how do you do that on an iPhone

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    I do not know

But if you are on a device in which you cannot check the size of a lengthy high-resolution gif, perhaps you should consider not posting them

8406wWN.png
  • Options
  • Options
    the fact that chrome hasn't fixed that yet is unbelievable.

• Options
    You got it boss

wink.gif

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Though there are many things that could be changed, I request one thing out of a new pope: allow ordination of women.

Yyyyyyeah that's never ever gonna happen

ever

ever ever ever no never

you go talk to your bishops
    talk to my cardinals
    talk to me

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    PopetheFair

he doesn't know anything about popes at all!

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Wait so how big can a gif be

What is the limit

• Options
    Don't Be A Dick

This is the most important rule of all and its influence is wide-ranging. These forums are at various times a haven for silliness, debate, discussion, humour, advice and various other forms of discourse. They are not, at any time, a haven for pricks. Forums that are welcoming to pricks exist and you are more than welcome to go and find one, but we are not interested in running one here.

These forums are restricted to ages 13+ and it is expected that all users, regardless of age, are able to act in a mature and respectful fashion. Users are expected to have a reasonable level of social intuition regarding what is and is not acceptable social behaviour, and you should avoid saying anything to someone on these forums that you would not be willing to say to them if they were a) standing in front of you b) considerably bigger than you and holding a club. Things that we are not interested in seeing include (but are not limited to)
    Getting mad about videogames
    Racial epithets of any kind regardless of context
    Misogynist, misandrist, homophobic or transphobic behaviour or attitudes. “Pick up artists”, this includes you.
    Posting gigantic images or gifs. Anything above 500kb should be linked to.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Don't Be A Dick

This is the most important rule of all and its influence is wide-ranging. These forums are at various times a haven for silliness, debate, discussion, humour, advice and various other forms of discourse. They are not, at any time, a haven for pricks. Forums that are welcoming to pricks exist and you are more than welcome to go and find one, but we are not interested in running one here.

These forums are restricted to ages 13+ and it is expected that all users, regardless of age, are able to act in a mature and respectful fashion. Users are expected to have a reasonable level of social intuition regarding what is and is not acceptable social behaviour, and you should avoid saying anything to someone on these forums that you would not be willing to say to them if they were a) standing in front of you b) considerably bigger than you and holding a club. Things that we are not interested in seeing include (but are not limited to)
    Getting mad about videogames
    Racial epithets of any kind regardless of context
    Misogynist, misandrist, homophobic or transphobic behaviour or attitudes. “Pick up artists”, this includes you.
    Posting gigantic images or gifs. Anything above 500kb should be linked to.

Oh god, I got mad about video games once. It's now only a matter of time before Geth finds out ohdear.png

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options

Yes, sure guy

Actually, he can't actually vote for the conclave. Anyone over 75 years-old cannot vote.

I mean, there are still other ways he can influence the decision, but he won't be inside the conclave at all. So it does limit him.

• Options
    Sassori wrote: »

Yes, sure guy

Actually, he can't actually vote for the conclave. Anyone over 75 years-old cannot vote.

I mean, there are still other ways he can influence the decision, but he won't be inside the conclave at all. So it does limit him.

He could just come right out and say "I want this guy to be the next Pope"

and then the Conclave will vote for that guy

this is probably what's gonna happen

sig.gif
  • Options

It used to be the case that the Pope could just say whatever the hell he wanted to and be all "God agrees."

Now there are very specific rules in place. Unless he is speaking ex cathedra (along with several other requirements) it's not supposed to be assumed that what he is saying is infallible.

• Options

Yes, sure guy

That's also assuming that the Bishops and Cardinals actually want to deal with someone Benedict might suggest. Any attempt to influence might actually work against his favor.

• Options
    Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    After reading the next entry in the Prophecy of the Popes, I'm just waiting for the gif.

Luke getting shocked with Benedict imposed over Palpatine.
    Vader throws Palpatine/Benedict over the edge.
    Luke carries out Vader, takes off helmet.
    New Pope under helmet.
    Luke and ships fly away, Death Star has Vatican flag imposed over it.
    Boom.

And that is why sometimes the internet makes me weep like a Native American on the side of the road with garbage at his feet.

"Never Hit"
  • Options

Yes, sure guy

That's also assuming that the Bishops and Cardinals actually want to deal with someone Benedict might suggest. Any attempt to influence might actually work against his favor.

Yeah I suppose.

I could easily see everyone just bowing to his will so they're not the dicks who go against the first Pope to resign in centuries, though. Could go either way.

sig.gif
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The title of this thread reminded me how much fun I had singing Chim Chim Cheree at a karaoke gathering recently.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    has anyone put a mitre on Magnitude's head and captioned it 'POPE POPE' yet

• Options

Yes, sure guy

Yeah I suppose.

I could easily see everyone just bowing to his will so they're not the dicks who go against the first Pope to resign in centuries, though. Could go either way.

I think that most of the Conclave, especially those already central to Italy, probably view him as more of an elected official and coworker than they do as an "instrument of the Lord". I don't think there is a large difference between the types of political plays that happen at small Diocesan Conventions and what happens behind closed doors in the Conclave.

There will be plenty of people willing to be dicks to Ratzinger. He was kind of a dick to a lot of people before he got called up to be Pope. It was his job before he came into power.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Has it been mentioned yet how the Papal Seal is pretty boss, all things considered?

I mean, look at it.

200px-Emblem_of_the_Papacy_SE.svg.png

[IMG][/img]
  • Options

Yes, sure guy

the commentary I heard was that he put most of the people in the decision making process in their positions (or like, a lot of them), which is how he would influence it.

• Options
    I was talking about this to a friend at work, and we got on the topic of the Pope in Medieval Total War. There was an awesome cut scene wear you can assassinate a pope when he's first selected where your assassin is up in the rafters and nails him right in the head with a crossbow bolt just as they're putting the miter on him.

Man that was always a hilarious move. When the college doesn't elect the pope from my home country and I go on a killing spree until my guy wins. All in the name of god and peace or whatever...yeah.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Has it been mentioned yet how the Papal Seal is pretty boss, all things considered?

I mean, look at it.

200px-Emblem_of_the_Papacy_SE.svg.png

You know you are boss when your hat has its own crown.

But three crowns? That's rolling Pope style.

This discussion has been closed.